This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love stargate...but... (spoilers)

I love stargate, both atlantis and SG-1...but a very weird feeling has just come over me. Now, I am purely talking about SG-1 when I write this. This past year has been great, it has had many awesome episodes an some fun little planet of the week episodes. The quality has never been so high........and I applaud TPTB.

BUT, am I the only who gets a feeling that after 194 episodes a TV show should call the quits? Now, again, I still love the quality of the show...it is just so many times you can see the core members of SG-1 step through the gate and finish a mission without any of them dying (and yes I am aware of Prometheus, Frasier, Jacob, etc....but focusing on Sam/Daniel/Tealc). Now, I would have loved for this series to have ended at 172 episodes (at Threads...not Moebius) and that would have been a fitting end.

I respect the new enemy and think they are very awesome, but to me at least, it seems very tacked on....you get a feeling as if the show was supposed to ned in season 8 and season 9 is just tacked-on. Now, I am getting a little bored with the characters....dont get me wrong they're awesome but they have been fleshed out to almost their maximum potential. And, ultimately, I dont see how this show could last past 11 or 12 seasons without major cast changes. I do not want this to turn into the ER or law and order of sci-fi.

I started watching this show with the adventures of Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Tealc.......that is all rapidly changing. In season 10, MS wants to spend time with his wife and AT is taking off for her baby...now, I am not saying they can not have a personal life...its just that one views it in the show with all the absences it is a kind of subtle hint that the actors want to move on...right?

Anybody else think the quality is still good, but the sheer number of episodes is becoming tedious and/ or season 9 seems tacked on in terms of the whole shows' premise (but still of high quality)?

we need movies. (with RDA!)
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Quit???

NEVER!!!

StarGate = The Never Ending Story
      http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
        Quit???

NEVER!!!
        Exactly!!!
        An avacado a day keeps everyone away if you have good enough aim.

Comment

I think this show still has a lot of quality life left in it. There are many more great stories left to tell, and I think the actors know they have a good thing here. Some of them may never again find work as successful as this series has been. Personally, I'm rooting for season 11 and beyond.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I agree. I enjoy the new season but your right. I thought Atlantis was the perfect way to end SG-1 and start with a fresh new team. However they decided to run them both simultaneously which I feel was a mistake. Now you have plot holes, people wanting crossovers, and continuity problems.

That being sad I still happily watch the new seasons, I don’t know. Maybe I am a hypocrite.
            An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron
              I love stargate, both atlantis and SG-1...but a very weird feeling has just come over me. Now, I am purely talking about SG-1 when I write this. This past year has been great, it has had many awesome episodes an some fun little planet of the week episodes. The quality has never been so high........and I applaud TPTB.

BUT, am I the only who gets a feeling that after 194 episodes a TV show should call the quits? Now, again, I still love the quality of the show...it is just so many times you can see the core members of SG-1 step through the gate and finish a mission without any of them dying (and yes I am aware of Prometheus, Frasier, Jacob, etc....but focusing on Sam/Daniel/Tealc). Now, I would have loved for this series to have ended at 172 episodes (at Threads...not Moebius) and that would have been a fitting end.

I respect the new enemy and think they are very awesome, but to me at least, it seems very tacked on....you get a feeling as if the show was supposed to ned in season 8 and season 9 is just tacked-on. Now, I am getting a little bored with the characters....dont get me wrong they're awesome but they have been fleshed out to almost their maximum potential. And, ultimately, I dont see how this show could last past 11 or 12 seasons without major cast changes. I do not want this to turn into the ER or law and order of sci-fi.

I started watching this show with the adventures of Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Tealc.......that is all rapidly changing. In season 10, MS wants to spend time with his wife and AT is taking off for her baby...now, I am not saying they can not have a personal life...its just that one views it in the show with all the absences it is a kind of subtle hint that the actors want to move on...right?

Anybody else think the quality is still good, but the sheer number of episodes is becoming tedious and/ or season 9 seems tacked on in terms of the whole shows' premise (but still of high quality)?
              Nope, not even close to bored with Stargate... hey, maybe they could kill Daniel for good this time. Or Tea'lc. Or Sam!!!

Wait, that would get people to hate season 10, and we couldn't have that, now could we

Comment

I haven't really speculated that much about S10 - I haven't even visited the thread yet - primarily because we in the UK don't see Camelot until tonight and I don't wanna risk getting too spoiled.

From a purely shallow, personal point of view, if they keep up the current standard of stories, and Cam calms down just a little bit (he's been getting just a tad OTT lately!), I could keep watching until the cows come home. Having got to know Vala a bit better, she's nowhere near as grating and irritating as she was at the outset of the season, and there are plenty of opportunities for character development for her - particularly given how good CB is at portraying her. Certainly that bodes well for the future season - though I know there are fears in some quarters as to how Vala's presence will impact on Sam's place in the Team and on screen. They may complement each other perfectly - or not. I guess I'm just a 'wait and see' kind of gal on that score.

Vala and Cam (and, hence CB and BB) have brought a new element to the show with a minimum of disruption to the team we know and love. Gen. Landry seems to be shaping up nicely (boring 'icy-relationship-with-estranged-daughter-starting-to-thaw' stuff aside), and that gives an extra developmental dimension to the season to come. Whether they can take it any further than that, I don't know. I'd like to hope so, but it depends on where Season 10 goes, I guess. Maybe the next time I contribute to a thread of this nature (as S10 comes to an end, probably! ) my view will be different.

Unless it gets really, really really bad though, I think I will always keep watching. Somehow, Tuesday nights just wouldn't be the same again without SG-1. Maybe I'm just shallow and easily pleased, though I prefer to consider myself to be deeply appreciative!

Mind you, the only problem I have with more seasons is that I'm running out of shelf space for the DVD boxed sets...
                sigpic

Comment

As long as it's good, we don't have to end it. There's no magical limit where shows must end in terms of length. There's a limit to crappy writing and stuff, but Stargate hasn't fallen into those holes (yet).

Comment

Ok, I agree that Stargate SG1 should have finish before that new season with Claudia Black...etc....(yeah, I don't like that character!)

BUT, now it's running again, let's run! I love Stargate, I'm a fan since I was 12! So, I don't want the show to finish, never!!! Let's continue!
                    What's the difference between Mckay and wraith?...No difference, the two only thinks of eating! (Wraith joke)

Comment

i've watched SG1 since the begining and continue to love it. The writer have kept it fresh and i feel each season has had something new. i do wonder how much longer they can keep going and i can see why people want it to end on a high and not wait untill people stop watching or begin to dislike it but i just couldnt do that, i want more, and more and more.........

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                        we need movies. (with RDA!)
                        definetly movies it could be like Action/Comedy/Sci-Fi movies!

Comment

Working...
                        X