Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor Who composer and writer both confirm they won't be working on series 11
    It's looking like a total refresh for Jodie Whittaker's first series.

By Morgan Jeffery
    19 February 2018

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...mie-mathieson/

One more fan favourite writer has confirmed they won't be returning to Doctor Who next series, while composer Murray Gold has also made his departure from the series official.

Gold was widely rumoured to have exited the series following 2017's Christmas special and confirmed over the weekend – at the Gallifrey One convention in LA – that he will indeed not be back for series 11.
    NEWS: It’s OFFICIAL. Murray Gold has confirmed himself at the Gallifrey One convention that he is leaving Doctor Who and will not be composing the music for Series 11 onwards. Goodbye Murray Gold, you provided the absolute best music since the show returned in 2005.#DoctorWho

Gold has been a mainstay of Doctor Who since it returned in 2005. There's no word yet on who his replacement might be, though composer Ólafur Arnalds – who worked with new Who showrunner Chris Chibnall on Broadchurch – has already ruled himself out.

Meanwhile, writer Jamie Mathieson ('Flatline', 'Oxygen') has also announced that he won't be contributing a script to Jodie Whittaker's first series.

Confirming the news on Twitter, Mathieson revealed that he had pitched "a few ideas" to Chibnall, but "it didn't pan out".
    Jamie Mathieson @Jamti

To pre-empt me no doubt blabbing it over the w/e at #gally1: I am not writing for the next series of Doctor Who.

Did meet with Mr Chibnall, lovely man, pitched a few ideas but it didn't pan out. Got flavour of what he has planned - Who is in good hands.

Mathieson joins Sarah Dollard – who penned the acclaimed episodes 'Face the Raven' and 'Thin Ice' – and Mark Gatiss as regular Who writers who won't be returning this series.

Doctor Who will return to BBC One this autumn, with a trio of companions – Yasmin (Mandip Gill), Ryan (Tosin Cole), and Graham (Bradley Walsh) – joining Whittaker's new Doctor.

Chibnall – replacing Steven Moffat as showrunner – apparently has a "five-year" plan for the series. "What the BBC was after was risk and boldness," he said in June 2017.

He'll be joined by Sam Hoyle (Broadchurch) and Matt Stevens (Misfits), who'll both serve as co-executive producers.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I don't mind. Change is good.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I don't mind. Change is good.
        Nor do I. He did a great job and now it is time for someone else to have a go and put their stamp on things which is pretty much the reason for why this show has gone on for so long. Here's to change and renewal!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

OMG that's such sad news...... I loved his music and my favourite track was the one he did for Madame De Pompadour. I hope he got that Dalek to keep.
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Doctor Who series 11 gets new logo and image – watch a new teaser now

It's almost time for the Jodie Whittaker era to begin.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...eries-11-logo/

© BBC

By Morgan Jeffery
            20 February 2018

It's almost time... Doctor Who has today revealed its new logo and teaser artwork for the upcoming series 11.

Jodie Whittaker was on hand to debut the show's new look at BBC Worldwide's annual showcase event in Liverpool.

The striking logo is set against an evening sky in a new image, with Whittaker's Doctor appearing in silhouette. (Click below to go full-size!)

© BBC

The sci-fi series also has an alternative, smaller insignia which, interestingly, omits the 'DOCTOR' part of the show's title, reading simply 'WHO'.

© BBC

You can watch a dramatic video teaser revealing the new logo below...

Oh, and before you get overexcited, no, that is not the official new arrangement of the Doctor Who theme you're hearing in the background.

The BBC has confirmed to Digital Spy that this is an isolated piece of music used especially for the animation, created by Matthew Herbert.

The updated logo and insignia have been produced by creative agency Little Hawk, working closely with new Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall and executive producer Matt Strevens.

© BBC Chris Chibnall

"The Doctor Who logo and insignia are the quintessential signifier for the brand," said Rafaela Perera, BBC Worldwide Executive Creative Director. "Our aim was to create modern and elegant designs that were anchored in the things that we love most about Doctor Who."

Doctor Who is expected to return to BBC One in October, while the new logo will start appearing on all official merchandise from February 20.

Comment

Hmm... It'll probably grow on me, but - first impressions? - it looks like something from a gameshow.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

As reported directly by the BBC... http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...3-e69c53186271

Jodie Whittaker Unveils Brand New Doctor Who Logo

Tuesday 20 February 2018, 20:15
                The Doctor Who Team

The Thirteenth Doctor, Jodie Whittaker, has unveiled a new logo and insignia for Doctor Who.

It’s a new logo for a new Doctor and an exciting new era!

Creative agency LittleHawk created the brand new designs, working closely with Showrunner Chris Chibnall and Executive Producer Matt Strevens. The sound for the animated logo was created by the critically acclaimed British musician, producer and sound artist, Matthew Herbert.

Find out more about the new series of Doctor Who!

Comment

Well for my part, I really like it. Simple, unique, stands out. I just hope the theme song doesn’t go away!
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I FREAKING LOVE THAT IMAGE..............

I wish the BBC had that to download as a desktop...... That one of Jodie and the TARDIS in the distance

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                      I FREAKING LOVE THAT IMAGE..............

I wish the BBC had that to download as a desktop...... That one of Jodie and the TARDIS in the distance
                      This is a good HQ desktop sized version of it, my friend: http://images.doctorwhonews.net/image.php?pid=25883

And just to add my own 2p into it...I absolutely LOVE and ADORE the new logo, the insignia and the poster...but anyone that knows me here on GW will probably have already figured that out for themselves without me actually having to say anything. Predictable Alan is predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        but anyone that knows me here on GW will probably have already figured that out for themselves without me actually having to say anything. Predictable Alan is predictable.

Comment

I'm told t-shirts and whatnot with the new logo on them are already on sale.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                            This is a good HQ desktop sized version of it, my friend: http://images.doctorwhonews.net/image.php?pid=25883

And just to add my own 2p into it...I absolutely LOVE and ADORE the new logo, the insignia and the poster...but anyone that knows me here on GW will probably have already figured that out for themselves without me actually having to say anything. Predictable Alan is predictable.

Thanks Saved to desktop hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              Thanks Saved to desktop hehe.
                              You're welcome!

Comment

All 53 episodes of Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures are now free to watch on BBC iPlayer
                                That's our weekend plans sorted then.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...s-bbc-iplayer/

© BBC

By Megan Davies
                                22 February 2018

While we're counting down the days until Jodie Whittaker's tenure as the Doctor gets going later this year, the BBC has given Doctor Who fans a little something to occupy their time.

Or 53 somethings rather, as every single episode of Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures is now available to watch – for free – on BBC iPlayer.

The series follows the adventures of investigative journalist Sarah Jane Smith, the Doctor's former companion who appeared in Doctor Who between 1973 and 1976 alongside Jon Pertwee's Third Doctor and Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor.

It was created by Russell T Davies and premiered in 2007, running for five seasons before it was cancelled in 2011 following the death of Sarah Jane actress Elisabeth Sladen.

© BBC

During the series' run, The Sarah Jane Adventures featured guest roles from a few Doctor Who characters too, including both the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors, played by David Tennant and Matt Smith respectively.

The series also featured new companion Bradley Walsh's first role in the Doctor Who universe, appearing in the show's second-season episode 'The Day of the Clown'.

Bradley will now star in the main Doctor Who series as a character called Graham, alongside Jodie Whittaker's Thirteenth Doctor and fellow new companions Mandip Gill and Tosin Cole.

© BBC Chris Chibnall

Ahead of series 11 of Doctor Who, the BBC revealed a first look at the show's new logo as well as some teaser artwork earlier this week, while new photos suggest that Jodie Whittaker and co will be heading on a historical adventure at some point in the new season too.

Doctor Who series 11 will debut in Autumn 2018 on BBC One and, while we don't have a specific premiere date just yet, you can already win tickets to see episode one before anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X