X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sarah Jane Adventures - Ten Years On
    Sunday, 01 January, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/01...-years-on.html

Today marks the Tenth anniversary of the transmission of the first episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures.

The Doctor Who spin-off, starring the late Elisabeth Sladen, made its debut on BBC One at 4.51pm on New Year's Day 2007, with a special 60 minute special written by Russell T Davies and Gareth Roberts called Invasion of the Bane.

Also starring Samantha Bond, Yasmin Paige, Tommy Knight, Porsha Lawrence-Mavour and the voices of John Leeson and Alexander Armstrong, the episode led to a full series being comissioned, which was screened later that year. The Sarah Jane Adventures would run for five series, only ending after the death of star Elisabeth Sladen during the making of series five.

To mark the Anniversary a special Celebration video has been released on YouTube by The Attic, the group organising a reunion event for the series in Cardiff this summer.

Guests will include Tommy Knight, Daniel Anthony, Yasmin Paige, Anjli Mohindra as well as Elisabeth Sladen's husband and daughter, Brian Miller and Sadie Miller.

The day will raising money for Ty Hafan, a children's hospice based in Cardiff.

Full details on The Attic Website.

Celebration Video.

Last edited by Alan; 01 January 2017, 10:49 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Last edited by Alan; 20 January 2017, 05:57 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Sir John Hurt 1940-2017
        Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/01...1940-2017.html

The actor John Hurt has died at the age of 77.

John Hurt, the man who played the missing regeneration of the Doctor, the War Doctor, was one of the most respected actors of his generation. Over a 50 year career, he played some of the most memorable characters in British Film and television, dominating the profession with his rich voice entrancing audiences. His career earnt him two Academy Award nominations, a Golden Globe Award, as well as four BAFTA Awards.

John Hurt was born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire on 22nd January 1940. He trained at the Grimsby Art School, before winning a scholarship allowing him to study at Saint Martin's School of Art in London. In 1960, he won a scholarship to RADA, where he trained for two years.

His first film was The Wild and the Willing but he made his mark in Fred Zinnemann's A Man for All Seasons playing Richard Rich. His portrayal of Timothy Evans, in 10 Rillington Place, the true story of an innocent man hanged for murder, earnt him his first BAFTA nomination.

He won a BAFTA playing Quentin Crisp in the TV play The Naked Civil Servant, produced by ex-Doctor Who producer Verity Lambert, a role he would reprise in the 2009 film An Englishman in New York. He won further plaudits in the 1976 series I Claudius playing the psychotic Roman emperor Caligula.

In 1978 he won his first Acadamy nomination for Midnight Express, losing out to Christopher Walken, but for which he won a Golden Globe and a second BAFTA. His unique voice graced the animated films Watership Down and Lord of the Rings. In 1980 he played John Merrick in The Elephant Man earning him his second Acadamy nomination. The same year came to a gruesome end as Kane in Alien, and four years later he played Winston Smith in the film adaptation of the Orwell classic set in that year Nineteen Eighty-Four.

He had roles in the Harry Potter films and the Merlin TV series and played the MP Alan Clark in The Alan Clark Diaries. Hurt recently starred in Oscar-nominated biopic of President John F. Kennedy's widow, Jackie, which is currently showing in cinemas.

In 2013, at the age of 73 he made his debut in Doctor Who, playing The War Doctor, a character invented by show-runner Steven Moffat to fill the gap in the series 50th Anniversary story, The Day of the Doctor, when it became apparent that Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston did not wish to take part.

Moffat later told Radio Times
        I remember saying to Marcus [Wilson, producer], What if there was an incarnation of the Doctor none of us knew about? And, coincidentally, he was played by the most famous actor in the world? Specifically, someone who might have been cast as the Doctor during the long hiatus. For instance, John Hurt...

Hurt accepted the offer almost immediately, giving him a place in the series history as one of the rare breed of actor to have played The Doctor.
        He was quite insistent, saying to me and to others: “So I am properly Doctor Who now. I am a Doctor Who.I can say it?” He loves the fact that he’s Doctor Who. Only having to stay in Cardiff for three weeks, he gets to be Doctor Who.

Hurt would return to the role for Big Finish in 2015

In 2015 Hurt received a knighthood from Her Majesty The Queen for services to drama, to add to the CBE he received in 2004.

John Hurt was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2015 but was later given the all clear. In an interview last he said he had no fear of death.
        I hope I shall have the courage to say, ‘Vroom! Here we go! Let’s become different molecules! I can't say I worry about mortality, but it's impossible to get to my age and not have a little contemplation of it. We're all just passing time, and occupy our chair very briefly.

John Hurt is survived by his wife of 12 years Anwen Rees-Myers.

Comment

DW official twitter account: Capaldi is leaving after this series

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/sta...85411823181825
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            DW official twitter account: Capaldi is leaving after this series

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/sta...85411823181825
            Further to the above...the full article:

Peter Capaldi announces he will stand down as Doctor Who at the end of the year
            Monday 30 January 2017, 22:24

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...9-d387d9a89c4b

Peter Capaldi first stepped into the TARDIS in 2013, and will leave the iconic role in the 2017 Christmas Special after three incredible series of the BBC's global hit sci-fi drama.

He made the announcement on Jo Whiley's BBC Radio 2 show tonight; speaking about the upcoming series this Spring he exclusively revealed the next series of the world's longest running sci-fi show will be his last.

Peter Capaldi said:

"One of the greatest privileges of being Doctor Who is to see the world at its best. From our brilliant crew and creative team working for the best broadcaster on the planet, to the viewers and fans whose endless creativity, generosity and inclusiveness points to a brighter future ahead. I can’t thank everyone enough. It’s been cosmic."

Capaldi was unveiled to the nation as the Twelfth Doctor during a special live television event on BBC One. Peter’s Time Lord has been much loved and critically acclaimed, with Series 9 featuring some of the best reviewed performances and episodes of recent series. In particular, his anti-war speech in The Zygon Inversion, and his solo appearance in the one-hander, Heaven Sent, have been widely acclaimed as among the finest performances by anyone in the role of the Doctor. Under his reign the show has expanded globally, he took the series on a World Tour and has drawn record ratings in BBC America, Canada, and Latin America. The highly anticipated 10th series returns to screens on Easter Saturday after a year's break.

Peter Capaldi's final series also marks writer and executive producer Steven Moffat's last so promises to be unmissable event television.

Steven Moffat, writer and executive producer said:

“For years before I ever imagined being involved in Doctor Who, or had ever met the man, I wanted to work with Peter Capaldi. I could not have imagined that one day we’d be standing on the TARDIS together. Like Peter, I’m facing up to leaving the best job I’ll ever have, but knowing I do so in the company of the best, and kindest and cleverest of men, makes the saddest of endings a little sweeter. But hey, it’s a long way from over. Peter’s amazing, fiery, turbulent Doctor is still fighting the good fight, and his greatest adventures are yet to come. Monsters of the universe, be on your guard - Capaldi’s not done with you yet!”

Peter will be joined in Series 10 by new companion Pearl Mackie (Bill), and Matt Lucas (Nardole) with guest appearances to come from David Suchet and Michelle Gomez. He has starred alongside Jenna Coleman as his companion Clara Oswald, Alex Kingston as River Song, Ingrid Oliver as Osgood, as well as Keeley Hawes, Tom Riley, Frank Skinner, Maisie Williams, Joivan Wade and many more. Peter's Doctor has fought Daleks and Davros, Cybermen, Zygons, new monsters like the Veil and old foes the Time Lords.

Charlotte Moore, Director of BBC Content said:

"Peter Capaldi will always be a very special Doctor to me; his adventures through time and space started just as I arrived on BBC One. He has been a tremendous Doctor who has brought his own unique wisdom and charisma to the role. But, it's not over yet - I know the next series is going to be spectacular. He's a fine actor who I hope we work with again when he leaves the TARDIS".

Brian Minchin, Executive Producer, said:

"Peter Capaldi is an extraordinary Doctor and has taken the show to amazing places. Although I'm sad he has decided to move on in 2018 I'm delighted that we have one final series with Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat. I know what they're planning and it's going to be incredible."

Capaldi will return in the next series for 12 episodes in April, followed by the Christmas Special when the regeneration will take place.

He replaced Matt Smith as the Twelfth Doctor. He first appeared in Doctor Who in 2008, playing Caecilius in the episode, "The Fires of Pompeii".

Comment

Sad news, but four years is still a pretty good run for Capaldi. Though I still held out my hopes for him staying on and getting a series of Moffatless writing until a few hours ago.

So I guess now the speculation begins over who will succeed him. Personally my preference in no particular order would be for Eva Green (will never happen), Ewan McGregor (will never happen), Hayley Atwell, Alexander Siddig, Sophie Okonedo or Paterson Joseph. I know the latter two have played other characters, but even so it's not exactly unknown for an actor who've had other DW roles to later play The Doctor (see: Capaldi, Baker).

Though I have a hunch that in spite of Missy going over well, the BBC and Chibnall won't have the guts to go for a female Doctor for 13, in spite of there being so many spectacular actresses out there capable of carrying the part.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm really crushed by these news. I had high hopes that Chibnall would succeed where Moffat failed at delivering a more introspective and calculating incarnation of the Doctor, instead of the strange hodgepodge of past Who that Twelve has been thus far.

Still, Series 10 isn't far away now and there's every chance that Moffat will dazzle us all at the eleventh hour. As for the Thirteenth Doctor, I know it's very unlikely, but I'd still love to see Robert Carlyle in the role. I know he's another aging Scotsman, but come on, it's now or never and he's such a brilliant man for the job.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind having Eddie Redmayne, as I was quite impressed by his endearingly eccentric appereance in Fantastic Beasts. And whilst I'm not a big fan of the female Doctor idea(Time Lords switching genders is not something that needed to happen), I wouldn't complain if Emma Watson got the part.
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Sorry... too busy listening to the awesome audio dramas to care...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I'm gonna stick my neck out and suggest Mark Strong for the part.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I think it will be a younger man playing the Doctor. I've become rather taken with the suggestion of Ben Whishaw ("Q" from 007 movies Skyfall and Spectre) as a candidate to play the Doctor. I think he'd be great.

Comment

What do we suppose the odds are that we'll see a female Doctor? It seemed to be something that Moffatt was moving inexorably toward, but with him on his way out and Chibnall taking over, I don't know how likely that is anymore.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I would hope not, but they have added the lore to allow it, so if it happens, it happens. I just want a replacement doctor who is -believable- in the role, and if they set it up for a woman to do the role, then just let it be a good one.
                          ESA mentioned Eva Green, I would support that choice based on her work in Penny dreadful.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I nominate Michelle Dockery.
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Emma Watson or nothing.
                              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Amanda Tapping
                                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X