This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Doctor Who’ to Stream Exclusively on HBO Max

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Exclusively for Americans. No such restriction for the rest of us.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Doctor Who Magazine Special Edition 53 - Target Books
        Wednesday, 07 August, 2019 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2019/08...dition-53.html

The latest special edition from Doctor Who Magazine explores the world of the much loved Target Books.

Considered a unique record of Doctor Who’s history in the era before fanzines, official magazines and home video, Target books are probably the most cherished items of merchandise inspired by the show.

They’re certainly the most commercially successful. From the early 1970s to the early 90s, it’s estimated that Target sold over eight million novelisations and other Doctor Who books.

This is the inside story of a legendary imprint, from its rise and fall to its triumphant revival in 2018.

Highlights include numerous rare images and exclusive interviews with the key players, including:

• Chris Achilleos (cover artist for The Auton Invasion, The Zarbi, The Doomsday Weapon, etc)
        • Jeff Cummins (cover artist for The Mutants, The Horror of Fang Rock, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, etc)
        • Peter Darvill-Evans (Target Books editor from 1989)
        • Terrance Dicks (the most prolific author of Target books)
        • Anthony Dry (cover artist for City of Death, Rose, The Day of the Doctor etc)
        • John Peel (author of the novelisations of The Chase, The Power of the Daleks, The Evil of the Daleks etc)
        • Marc Platt (author of the Battlefield and Ghost Light novelisations)
        • Nigel Robinson (Target Books editor from 1984 to 1987)
        • Andrew Skilleter (cover artist for The Gunfighters, The Abominable Snowmen, The Stones of Blood etc)
        • Alan Willow (artist who provided internal illustrations for The Cybermen, Terror of the Autons, The Sea-Devils etc)

Other highlights include:
        • Extracts from two unpublished manuscripts
        • The untold story of Doctor Who Discovers, based on the archive of author Fred Newman
        • Details of foreign editions
        • The Companions of Doctor Who series
        • Interviews with collectors who own original Target Books artwork

and an afterword from Pete McTighe, the writer of the 2018 story Kerblam!

On sale from Thursday 8 August 2019

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

The Target Storybook
          Saturday, 10 August, 2019 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2019/08...storybook.html

BBC Books is to publish a new collection of spin-off stories from famous episodes throughout the history of Doctor Who.

In this collection, you’ll find all-new stories spinning off from some of your favourite Doctor Who moments across the history of the series. Learn what happened next, what went on before, and what occurred off-screen in an inventive selection of sequels, side-trips, foreshadowings and first-hand accounts – and also look forward in time, with a brand new adventure for the Thirteenth Doctor.

Each story expands upon aspects of Doctor Who’s enduring legend. The book includes fifteen different stories, with contributions from show luminaries past and present – including Terrance Dicks, Colin Baker, Matthew Waterhouse, Mike Tucker, Joy Wilkinson, and Vinay Patel – and bestselling writers such as Jenny T. Colgan, Jacqueline Rayner, Una McCormack, Steve Cole and George Mann. With artwork from Mike Collins and cover art by Anthony Dry.

Doctor Who: The Target Storybook is published on 24th October 2019 by BBC Books, priced £16.99.

ABOUT THE AUTHORS

Colin Baker is an English actor who became known for playing Paul Merroney in the BBC drama series The Brothers from 1974 to 1976. He went on to play the sixth incarnation of the Doctor in the TV series Doctor Who. He reprised the role for the 1993 Children in Need special, Dimensions in Time, and the 1989 stage show Doctor Who – The Ultimate Adventure. He has also voiced the Doctor for over 140 Doctor Who audio stories for Big Finish Productions.

Steve Cole is an editor and children’s author whose sales exceed three million copies. His hugely successful Astrosaurs young fiction series has been a UK top-ten children’s bestseller. His several original Doctor Who novels have also been bestsellers.

Jenny T. Colgan has written numerous bestselling novels as Jenny Colgan, which have sold over 2.5 million copies worldwide, been translated into 25 languages, and won both the Melissa Nathan Award and Romantic Novel of the Year 2013. Aged 11, she won a national fan competition to meet Peter Davison (the Fifth Doctor).

Susie Day is the author of the Pea's Book and Secrets series from Puffin. Her latest novel for children, Max Kowalski Didn't Mean It, is about dragons and toxic masculinity. Between books, she works as a copywriter in Birmingham. Susie currently lives in Coventry with her partner and two silly cats.

Terrance Dicks worked on scripts for The Avengers as well as other series before becoming full Script Editor of Doctor Who from 1968. Dicks worked on the Jon Pertwee Third Doctor era of the programme, and returned as a writer – scripting Tom Baker's first story as the Fourth Doctor: Robot. Terrance Dicks novelised many of the original Doctor Who stories for Target books, and has written original Doctor Who novels for BBC Books.

Simon Guerrier is co-author of Doctor Who: The Women Who Lived and Whographica for BBC Books, and has written countless Doctor Who books, comics, audio plays and documentaries. He has been a guest on Front Row and The Infinite Monkey Cage on Radio 4 and, with his brother Thomas, makes films and documentaries – most recently Victorian Queens of Ancient Egypt for Radio 3.

George Mann is the author of the bestselling Doctor Who: Engines of War and Newbury & Hobbes steampunk mystery series. He’s also written new adventures for Sherlock Holmes, a collection of Star Wars myths and fables, and the supernatural crime series Wychwood. He lives near Grantham, UK, with his wife, son and daughter.

Una McCormack is a New York Times bestselling author. She has written four Doctor Who novels: The King's Dragon and The Way through the Woods (featuring the Eleventh Doctor, Amy, and Rory); Royal Blood (featuring the Twelfth Doctor and Clara), and Molten Heart (featuring the Thirteenth Doctor, Yaz, Ryan and Graham). She is also the author of numerous audio dramas for Big Finish Productions.

Vinay Patel is a playwright and screenwriter. His television debut was the BAFTA-winning Murdered By My Father and for Doctor Who he has written Demons of the Punjab. His latest play, An Adventure, ran at the Bush Theatre in 2018. Elsewhere, he contributed to the bestselling collection of essays, The Good Immigrant.

Jacqueline Rayner is the author of over 40 books and audio plays, including number one bestseller The Stone Rose, the highest-selling Doctor Who novel of all time, and two Doctor Who ‘Quick Reads’ for World Book Day. She lives in Essex with her husband and twin sons, and writes regularly for Doctor Who Magazine.

Beverly Sanford's first Young Adult novel, The Wishing Doll, was published by Badger Learning in 2014, followed by Remember Rosie, Silent Nation and two non-fiction books. A BBC Writer’s Room semi-finalist (2011) and an Editor’s Choice in the Jim Henson Co/Penguin Dark Crystal Author Quest (2014), Bev is currently working on a screenplay for Sun Rocket Films and a children’s fiction series.

Matthew Sweet presents the BBC radio programmes Free Thinking, Sound of Cinema and The Philosopher’s Arms. He has judged the Costa Book Award, edited The Woman in White for Penguin Classics and was Series Consultant on the Showtime/Sky Atlantic series Penny Dreadful. His books include The West End Front and Operation Chaos: The Vietnam Deserters Who Fought the CIA, the Brainwashers and Themselves.

Mike Tucker is a visual effects designer and author who has written several original Doctor Who novels as well as fiction for other shared universes. He has also co-written numerous factual books relating to film and television, including Impossible Worlds and the TARDIS Instruction Manual.

Matthew Waterhouse played Adric, companion to Tom Baker and Peter Davison's Doctors from 1980 to 1982. Since then, he has worked extensively as an actor in theatre. His published writing includes a memoir, Blue Box Boy, three novels and a book of stories. Recently he's appeared in episodes of the audio version of Dark Shadows and numerous Doctor Who audio projects, including an award-winning one-man play, Doctor Who: A Full Life, and a forthcoming quartet of new adventures starring alongside Tom Baker.

Joy Wilkinson is an award-winning writer working across film, television, theatre and radio. She was a Screen International 'Star of Tomorrow', a two-time Brit List nominee and has had her work widely produced in the UK and internationally. For television, Joy has written the Doctor Who episode The Witchfinders, and her other credits include BBC One’s critically-acclaimed drama Nick Nickleby.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Interesting that they're using the old 70s style BBC logo.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Do we have News yet, on whats going to happen with the next Season of Doctor Who? Last thing I heard it was still all up in the air with Chibnall maybe leaving and Jodie wanting to go with him in that case.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Don't believe everything you hear/read ,and check the sources.This isn't the first rush of rumours regarding this Doctor/Showrunner.Chibnall is even more secretive than Moffat for pre-season goodies and tidbits,so that leaves room for conspiracy theories and other stuff!

The gossip,rumours and wishful thinking of the part of the fandom opposed to "Chittaker" and the casting of a female as The Doctor holds no realistic weight.

Season 12 is still very much in production.Check out Mandip on Twitter.
                See Bradley's Instagram for his loony capers and in-car singing on his way to work on the show .Hardly the sign of a guy who's allegedly leaving/left according to the same "sources" which mainly came out of a certain couple of fan-driven forums and twitter/FB and youtube accounts dedicated to downing/hating on everything to do with S11 and beyond that,the cast and crew etc.

DWSR,Cultbox and Radio Times have been keeping up with shooting and posting snippets of info as often as possible,there are umpteen sightings and pics out there,including JW meeting fans and having fun when the team went to Gloucester Cathedral and from Cardiff...and not ONE reputable source or BBC release has even hinted at mid-season dismissals,walkouts or anything else that can be said to be official.
                No casting calls or agency releases re replacing Whittaker either.Not even a squeak in the tabloids ...and believe me they'd be onto any big upheaval at DW Productions faster than my dog can seize his dinner.

Radio Times had an insider (un-named,as usual) who politely denied all the stuff going the rounds.Doctor Who departure rumours branded “nonsense” by insiders

Re the other big "news" going the rounds,someone directly asked Neil Gaiman if he was going to be the new Showrunner for DW and he was very direct in his answer.ie he isn't interested.LINK
                Definitely not true in any universe ever, especially not this one.
                Even Steven Moffat's downed the rumours via his Insta account.( If I can get a cap of that I'll post it.)

Addition: Steven Moffat .Instagram.Reply to fan re CC and JW rumours..JPG

If and when any Cast/Showrunner changes become a fact,there'll be plenty official and other sources.When that happens,the whole circus will begin again.
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 16 August 2019, 02:55 AM. Reason: Added screencap attachment.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

^ This is what I keep telling people too.

This whole thing got started because of a “inside source” allegedly telling someone on a private message board, which has gotten a number of the DW Blu-Ray rumours correct, that this was happening.

But I feel like I have to keep telling people — just because they’re apparently accurate on one subject doesn’t mean they know anything about the show. That’s like saying that someone who works for an action figure company knows the plot details of a movie just because they’re working on the toys.

Yes, the two items are tangentially related, but one does not tell you anything about the other.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm also a member on a Doctor Who forum, and last week, there was a message from the site owner, dismissing these rumours about Chris and Jodie.

Here is the message:

"Over the past couple of days there has been a rather nasty rumour claiming that Chris Chibnall has sensationally quit the show mid-season, and with him, Jodie Whittaker.

DWO have received confirmation from a trusted BBC insider who has reassured us that these rumours are false. Further rumour also suggested there will be a press release today [8th August - SGCSokar] confirming the departures - this too is false and there will be no such press release coming today or anytime in foreseeable future.

We also want to take the opportunity to say how disheartening it is to see such vicious rumours appear. Chris isn't the sort of person to up and quit a show he cares so much about - especially mid-season, and likewise, Jodie wouldn't want to disappoint fans in this manner either. Further to this, whilst there are some fans who may not like the current showrunner / Doctor choice, jumping on a hate-fulled bandwagon simply throws shade a TV show that they claim to love. Doctor Who has a long, rich history - full of change. Whilst we all may have our favourites, we believe that supporting this show through all its many changes is something we should all be a little bit better at.

We have a wonderful fandom; truly wonderful - a wide-ranging mix of fans from all kinds of backgrounds. What an even better place it could be if we could pull together just that little bit more...

[Source: DWO]"

Comment

Originally posted by SGCSokar View Post
                      I'm also a member on a Doctor Who forum, and last week, there was a message from the site owner, dismissing these rumours about Chris and Jodie.

Here is the message:

"Over the past couple of days there has been a rather nasty rumour claiming that Chris Chibnall has sensationally quit the show mid-season, and with him, Jodie Whittaker.

DWO have received confirmation from a trusted BBC insider who has reassured us that these rumours are false. Further rumour also suggested there will be a press release today [8th August - SGCSokar] confirming the departures - this too is false and there will be no such press release coming today or anytime in foreseeable future.

We also want to take the opportunity to say how disheartening it is to see such vicious rumours appear. Chris isn't the sort of person to up and quit a show he cares so much about - especially mid-season, and likewise, Jodie wouldn't want to disappoint fans in this manner either. Further to this, whilst there are some fans who may not like the current showrunner / Doctor choice, jumping on a hate-fulled bandwagon simply throws shade a TV show that they claim to love. Doctor Who has a long, rich history - full of change. Whilst we all may have our favourites, we believe that supporting this show through all its many changes is something we should all be a little bit better at.

We have a wonderful fandom; truly wonderful - a wide-ranging mix of fans from all kinds of backgrounds. What an even better place it could be if we could pull together just that little bit more...

[Source: DWO]"
                      Its not like I want them to go. I actually like Jodie, just the latest Season was a bit of a Trainwreck. I am anxious to see their finetuning. That said, I was just curios, since I did not hear anything since those stupid rumors started. So sorry if I stepped on some peoples nerves with this. Apparently this stupid question is asked alot.
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                      There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                        Its not like I want them to go. I actually like Jodie, just the latest Season was a bit of a Trainwreck. I am anxious to see their finetuning. That said, I was just curios, since I did not hear anything since those stupid rumors started. So sorry if I stepped on some peoples nerves with this. Apparently this stupid question is asked alot.
                        I've seen rumors that Whittaker and Chibnall were leaving, but I didn't place much stock in them.

I also liked Whittaker as The Doctor, but I agree, her first season was not all that good, but that was the writing, not her performance.

Last season was far too preachy, mentally I've dubbed Whittaker's doctor as "The Diversity Doctor", as it seemed to be the theme they were pushing. I'm attributing that to overkill on the first female doctor, and I'm hoping that aspect goes away next year as the novelty wears off.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                          Not at all, none of that was aimed at you or anyone else on this forum, so sorry it if came across that way. I just quoted that thread as it is something that I had already read in answer to your question. I think the orignal thread was aimed at people on that forum, and the wider fandom.

I actually liked the last series, as it harked back to the early days of Doctor Who, which I have always been a fan of. I think it was an impprovement on the previous series, but I don't think it was perfect however, and I do think that there are things that can be improved on in the next series.

Comment

Former Doctor Who script editor and writer Terrance Dicks has died aged 84.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49555763
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              Former Doctor Who script editor and writer Terrance Dicks has died aged 84.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49555763
                              I previously wrote this on Gallifrey Base forum a few hours ago:

Terribly, terribly saddened to hear about the passing away of Terrance Dicks. Had the pleasure of meeting him in 2007 when he came to North Wales as a guest of my local sci-fi group. He was a gentleman, so intelligent with a great sense of humour with no shortage of stories to tell. His amazing and legendary influence on Doctor Who truly touched and influenced and inflamed the imaginations of many people, some of whom are highly prolific writers themselves and also went on to write Doctor Who themselves.

Thank you for everything, Terry. You will be greatly missed. RIP.

Comment

As a kid growing up in the 70s, I struggled with reading and was eventually diagnosed with dyslexia.

The Doctor Who novelisations by Terrance Dicks et al helped immensely. Manageable pagecount, uncomplicated language, short chapters, and of course a rattling good story.

I never had the opportunity to meet him, if only to shake his hand and say thank you, and now - sadly - I never will.

So, RIP Mr. Dicks, and thanks.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X