This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jodie Whittaker WILL get a Doctor Who Christmas special after all
    There had been rumours that the BBC were scrapping the Time Lord’s seasonal adventures

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...ial-after-all/

By
    Huw Fullerton
    Thursday, 19th July 2018 at 7:02 pm

In some unseasonably festive good news for Whovians, it has been confirmed that 2018 WILL see a Doctor Who Christmas special come to BBC1, following previous rumours that the now-traditional Yuletide sci-fi story was being scrapped for Jodie Whittaker’s first run.

New showrunner Chris Chibnall confirmed the return of the special at San Diego Comic-Con, also revealing that the episode will come in addition to the already-announced 10 episodes, meaning we’re getting even more Doctor Who than we expected in 2018..

Ever since Who returned to screens in 2005 the Doctor Who Christmas special has been a linchpin in the BBC’s seasonal schedule, with every year of the series’ return marked by a festive escapade for the Time Lord right up until last December, when the 2017 special introduced Jodie Whittaker’s new Thirteenth Doctor for the very first time.

However, despite this pedigree fans had become worried that the Christmas specials could be scrapped under new series boss Chibnall, especially after no seasonal episode was announced within the new series’ 10-episode order.

This, plus the falling ratings for the extended episodes led some viewers to wonder if Who was struggling to maintain the specials, a worry only strengthened when previous showrunner Steven Moffat suggested the slot was a big challenge after 13 years of Christmas stories.

“I think it was a brilliant idea [in 2005] and it lasted a very, very long time,” the screenwriter told RadioTimes.com last year.

“I sort of think we might have mined and possibly over mined every single thing we could about Christmas in Doctor Who and the last time we more or less ignored it.”

Still, now those fears have been vanquished – and given that the new series is set to air this autumn, fans will probably end up with the shortest wait ever between series finale and Christmas special in Doctor Who history. Just call it an extra Christmas present.

Jodie Whittaker’s Thirteenth Doctor on the cover of the Radio Times magazine

Radio Times’ special Doctor Who preview issue, featuring exclusive interviews, pictures and behind-the-scenes secrets, is on sale now

Exclusive: Doctor Who series 11 won't feature any two-part stories
    It's 10 standalone adventures for Jodie Whittaker and friends.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...o-two-parters/ © BBC / BBC Studios

By Morgan Jeffery
    19 July 2018

There's more change afoot for Doctor Who – the new series of the BBC sci-fi saga won't feature any two-part stories, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

The decision's been made by new showrunner Chris Chibnall as a way of making the 10-part run – starring Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor – as accessible to audiences as possible.

"It's 10 standalone episodes, there's no two-parters or anything like that," Chibnall told us during an interview at Comic-Con International in San Diego.

"What we want is for people to feel like we've got the range and variety of Doctor Who this year. So if you've never seen it before, you're gonna fall in love with it, and if you have seen it, you're gonna get those things that you love about the show across the 10 episodes."

© BBC Pictures

Related: Doctor Who season 11 trailer drops – and it's definitely whet our appetite

Following reports that the new Doctor Who would be crafted in a writers' room set-up, Chibnall confirmed that the writing of the 10 episodes was "a big group endeavour" with "a lot of new writers to the show" working "in a very collaborative way", in a blend between "the British way of working and the American way".

But while the new series will bring plenty of changes – new writers, a new cast, a new composer and more – Chibnall insisted that he's simply bringing us "a new era, not a clean slate".

Those comments were echoed by new Doctor Who regulars Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill, playing the Doctor's friends Ryan and Yaz. "It's picking up where it left off and just making minor adjustments to it, to make it more enjoyable for the audience," said Cole. "Like, now we're shooting on anamorphic lenses, so that gives it a whole new cinematic feel."

© BBC / BBC Studios

Related: Doctor Who's 2018 Christmas special might have just been confirmed

"But it also will always relate to the old fans from before," insisted Gill. "They're not left out. There's still a way in [for them]. It's just we're going on a different journey, in a different direction."

"That formula's still there," echoed Cole. "It's still Doctor Who, just with a little sauce on it!"

"It's a continuation," Chibnall picked up. "It's like in the same way that [Jon Pertwee's 1970 debut] 'Spearhead from Space' is a continuation of [Patrick Troughton's 1969 swansong] 'The War Games' – it's something different, but exactly the same.

"It's really important that there's no barrier to entry for new audiences. But if you're a Doctor Who fan, all the things you love about Doctor Who are in there, I think."

Doctor Who will return to BBC One this autumn. Stay tuned to Digital Spy for more news direct from Comic-Con International in San Diego.
    Last edited by Alan; 19 July 2018, 10:35 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

That is good news.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

After seeing that new trailer I am even more STOKED for the next series and to seeing The Doctor and her three new friends in action! I think they'll make for a great TARDIS team! Roll on Autumn 2018!
        Last edited by Alan; 19 July 2018, 11:48 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Was just coming here to post that, I should’ve guessed you’d already be on it!

Looks awesome, I can’t wait!
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Not too keen on the new sonic screwdriver though. Looks like a cross between an electric toothbrush and Count Dooku's lightsaber.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Was just coming here to post that, I should’ve guessed you’d already be on it!

Looks awesome, I can’t wait!
              Heehee. Well I had 3 tabs open in my browser to different YT channels (Doctor Who...BBC...BBC America) and was constantly refreshing them waiting to jump on whichever one of them would release it first. Obsessed Whovian Alan is obsessed.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              Not too keen on the new sonic screwdriver though. Looks like a cross between an electric toothbrush and Count Dooku's lightsaber.
              I personally like it and I look forward to owning a replica of it someday to add to my collection. I think there's going to be something of a story about how the Doctor acquires this new version of the sonic screwdriver. I'm guessing it won't be as easy or straightforward as getting it produced by the TARDIS as we see being done for her in The Eleventh Hour and Hell Bent.

Comment

Maybe it'll grow on me.
                sigpic

Comment

So, Moffat is definitely out of there, correct?

I am looking forward to what Jodie Whittaker will bring to the role.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                    So, Moffat is definitely out of there, correct?

I am looking forward to what Jodie Whittaker will bring to the role.
                    Twice Upon a Time was his final contribution as showrunner.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Twice Upon a Time was his final contribution as showrunner.

Thank goodness! Sorry, I am not a fan of the guy.

Comment

In the words of a great big head...

You Are Not Alone...
                        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                        and lots more!

Comment

BIG FINISH News: The WAR MASTER Returns!

Derek Jacobi headlines in one of his most evil roles to date in Big Finish Productions The War Master Saga.

Sir Derek Jacobi is reprising his role as the Master, the evil Time Lord from the Doctor Who universe, in an on-going four series spectacular from Big Finish Productions.

After appearing originally in just one television episode of Doctor Who: Utopia back in 2007 alongside David Tennant, Freema Agyeman and John Barrowman, in a few fleeting minutes Derek Jacobi’s incarnation of the Doctor’s arch nemesis made an unforgettable impression on viewers.

Big Finish were delighted to bring Derek Jacobi back as the Master for a set of four adventures last year in the critically acclaimed The War Master: Only the Good, and are now overjoyed to confirm that he’ll return for another three series. The second series, The War Master: The Master of Callous sees the Master in a brand new four-part adventure, furthering his exploits in the Time War.

On the mining colony Callous, Elliot King struggles to meet the demands of its governor, Teremon. The odds are stacked against him, and his options are running low. The world that once promised dreams now offers only despair.

A wild Ood stalks the forests, carrying an antiquated phone. The caller promises much – he claims he can change the world – but he always speaks a devastating truth.

He is the Master and the Ood will obey him... but to what end?

1. Call for the Dead by James Goss
                          2. The Glittering Prize by James Goss
                          3. The Persistence of Dreams by Guy Adams
                          4. Sins of the Father by Guy Adams

Nicholas Briggs, executive producer and script editor of the series, told us more on this new arc of stories: “As we travel further with the Master through the Time War, there are epic implications as well as very personal stories. There’s a distinctly dark and mystical feel to some of the episodes, but ultimately we discover that the Master laid some truly dastardly plans before it all started, and that his warped ambition knows no bounds.

“It’s been such a pleasure script editing this series. Working closely with producer Scott Handcock, my aim has been to create a balance of the epic and the deeply personal.”

Scott Handcock, producer and director of The War Master series: “Even before we finished recording The War Master: Only The Good, Derek had told us how much he wanted to come back, and another series of brand-new adventures for the War Master got an instant green light!

“We’ve some really exciting stories in store over the next three box sets, kicking off with The Master of Callous by James Goss and Guy Adams, which also features the return of the subservient Ood. It’s a grand four part masterplan, and I can’t wait for people to hear it come December!”

“Derek Jacobi was amazing in the first series of The War Master,” says executive producer, Jason Haigh-Ellery. “His Master appears at first to be a supportive and friendly Time Lord who wants to help those around him – but there is an underlying malevolent desire for carnage. Derek’s Master’s ruthless desire to win his own game at all costs makes this the Hannibal Lecter regeneration (a part Derek auditioned for) and is truly terrifying.”

The War Master: The Master of Callous kicks off the next set of adventures in December 2018. Series three, The War Master: Rage of the Time Lords will follow in July 2019 written by Tim Foley and David Llewellyn, and series four, The War Master: Anti-Genesis written by Nicholas Briggs and Alan Barnes will complete the saga in December 2019.

All four series can be pre-ordered today individually for £20 on download or £23 on CD, or you can save money in a specially-priced War Master bundle with all four series at £80 on download or £90 on CD. If you’ve previously purchased The War Master: Only the Good, you can get series 2–4 at £68 on CD or £60 on download.

Comment

BIG FINISH News: The WAR MASTER Returns!

Derek Jacobi headlines in one of his most evil roles to date in Big Finish Productions The War Master Saga.

Sir Derek Jacobi is reprising his role as the Master, the evil Time Lord from the Doctor Who universe, in an on-going four series spectacular from Big Finish Productions.

<Article Respectfully Snipped - Alan. >
                            I've got to say that I am shocked but pleasantly surprised at the news of the return of The War Master spin-off audio series. Given how the first set ended and how it
                            Spoiler:
                            quite nicely set up the Master and placed him on course for where the Doctor would eventually find the Master again in the 2007 episode Utopia
                            I thought that was it and that this incarnation of the Master was locked off and untouchable. I look forward to the next sets.

Comment

Right! I had hoped for more, and been cautiously optimistic since Jacobi seems to have really enjoyed himself when you hear him in the bonus features, but the ending of Only the Good was pretty final. My guess is that the rest of the stories will just have to happen before or during Only the Good.

I also really loved that his appearance in Gallifrey: Time War was essentially a fifth episode that fit directly into his solo boxset. I really enjoy the crosspollenation of their ranges, and hope they’ll do it again in these next titles!

Comment

Right! I had hoped for more, and been cautiously optimistic since Jacobi seems to have really enjoyed himself when you hear him in the bonus features, but the ending of Only the Good was pretty final. My guess is that the rest of the stories will just have to happen before or during Only the Good.

I also really loved that his appearance in Gallifrey: Time War was essentially a fifth episode that fit directly into his solo boxset. I really enjoy the crosspollenation of their ranges, and hope they’ll do it again in these next titles!
                                Yes, it could be a prequel set of sets we're getting...or maybe something else happens. It IS the Time War after all and in such a war nothing is stable or in the right order very much any more. So much temporal flux and shifting realities...

Comment

Working...
                                X