This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Part 2:
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Jodie Whittaker tells of the Excitement of being cast as The Doctor
        Monday, 07 August, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/08...tement-of.html

Jodie Whittaker has talked about her reaction to being cast as the thirteenth Doctor.
        It was incredibly emotional... I'm about to play an alien, a time-Lord, as a girl.... The fans are the most creative and enthusiastic people and it's so exciting to be part of that.

The actress was talking to BBC 6 Music in her first broadcast interview since her casting was revealed. She described her excitment for the new series led by Chris Chibnall, who worked with Whittaker on Broadchurch.
        The best thing about this part is that every script will be brand new and something that I can genuinely say I've never done this before.

Whittaker said she had not seen a lot of the reaction to her casting as she is not on any kind of social media, so she has only seen what friends had sent her. One clip she has seen is the reaction to her casting by a young girl in a clip which went viral.
        Seeing things like that are really exciting.... If you grow up watching adventures films and TV Shows, that belief that anything is possible, this is the job to do. And I get to do it. And that was not in the realm of possibility ever growing up.

Whittaker said she had spoken to a few of the other actors who have played the role and the overwhelming advice was to enjoy the exciting adventure she was embarking on. No person plays the part the same.

The interview was to promote the new BBC One series Trust Me, which starts on 8 August. where she stars as Cath Hardacre, a nurse who loses her job after she turns whistle-blower - and then steals her friend's identity as a senior doctor in an Edinburgh hospital.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Michael Sheen, David Tennant to Star in Neil Gaiman’s ‘Good Omens’ at Amazon

David Tennant on the The Late Show with Stephen Colbert:

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

David Tennant’s Villainous Kilgrave to Return to Jessica Jones Season 2

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              There was a rumour going round earlier that Kris Marshall would be playing the companion.

But it seems that he himself has totally denied it.
              He smart enough to stay away from this cluster****. it seem chibnall is relying on good old fashion nepotism in his casting decisions, Bradly Welsh is apparently cast as the companion.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/b...r-who-11028647
              He a pretty crap actor, didn't impress me at all in the terrible spin off UK Law and Order. It really does seem like the BBC want Doctor Who to flop so badly that they can rest the show for a decade or two again.

Comment

Hmmm... I'll reserve judgement until there's official word from the BBC.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Bradley Walsh is a wonderful actor. I've seen him do comedy alongside Paul McGann, Peter Capaldi and Keeley Hawes in Hotel! and seriousness in Law & Order: UK alongside Peter Davison and Freema Agyeman. He has the talent and the charisma. If the rumour is true, Bradley would make a fine addition to Doctor Who. I'd gladly enjoy a TARDIS team featuring Jodie as The Doctor and Bradley as her companion! Been a Whovian for 30-years now, give-or-take 12 or 24 months. Not about to be chased off now...or ever.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Doctor Who Magazine 516
                    Wednesday, 23 August, 2017 - Reported by Chuck Foster

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/08...817190008.html

The next issue of Doctor Who Magazine is out this Thursday, and features an exclusive interview with the new Doctor, Jodie Whittaker.

Sharing her feelings about becoming the thirteenth Doctor, Jodie says:
                    Chris [Chibnall] wouldn’t have cast me as the Doctor because he wanted me to repeat anything that had gone before. And I think as a fan you don’t want to watch something that’s an imitation of something that’s gone before. Or what would be the point of recasting?

Also in this issue:
                    • CASTING JODIE: DWM asks what the arrival of Jodie Whittaker means for the future of Doctor Who.
                    • MONSTERS INC: We go inside the workshop of Millennium FX, with previously unseen designs and photographs from the making of the 2017 series.
                    • NOW WE ARE SIX HUNDRED: Former showrunner Russell T Davies talks about his illustrations for BBC Books’ collection of Doctor Who poetry.
                    • NICHOLAS BRIGGS AND THE CYBERMEN: Nicholas Briggs reveals the secrets of giving voice to the Mondasian Cybermen.
                    • HANK MARVIN: Legendary Shadows guitarist Hank Marvin discusses his surprising links to the Doctor Who theme.
                    • THE AZTECS: Take a fresh look at the 1964 classic The Aztecs in The Fact of Fiction.
                    • TREVOR BAXTER: We pay tribute to the late Trevor Baxter, who played Professor Litefoot in 1977’s The Talons of Weng-Chiang, with contributions from Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, Christopher Benjamin, Lisa Bowerman and more...
                    • THE PARLIAMENT OF FEAR: A brand-new comic strip adventure continues for the Doctor and Bill.
                    • TRAIL OF A TIME LORD: An exclusive extract from Red, White and Who, the forthcoming book about the history of the series in the United States.
                    • PLUS! Previews, book and audio reviews, news, the Watcher’s column, prize-winning competitions and much, much more.

Doctor Who Magazine 516 is on sale from Thursday 24 August.

Comment

John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness) will be on Battle of the Network Stars Sept. 7 on ABC at 9pm EST. He will be part of the Troublemakers group.

Originally posted by TV Guide
                      Troublemakers (Vivica A. Fox, Paul Johansson, John Barrowman, Julie Benz, Catherine Bach) vs.TV Lifeguards (David Chokachi, Brande Roderick, Parker Stevenson, Nicole Eggert, Gena Lee Nolin)
                      Source: http://www.tvguide.com/news/battle-o...-revival-cast/
                      TV Guide Page for the episode: http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/battl...akers/1045939/

Comment

For those of us in the West of Scotland, there will be five Doctor Who and Torchwood related guests attending MCM Comic Con Glasgow in the SECC on Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th September.

Peter Davison (The Fifth Doctor).
                        Janet Fielding (Tegan Jovanka).
                        Sarah Sutton (Nyssa of Traken).

Kai Owen (Rhys Williams).
                        Gareth David-Lloyd (Ianto Jones).

http://www.mcmcomiccon.com/scotland/
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

James Marsters returns as Captain John to Torchwood!
                          By Cameron K McEwan on Wednesday 30 August 2017

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...n-to-torchwood

Audio producers Big Finish have announced that actor James Marsters will be reprising his role as Captain John for a brand new Torchwood adventure alongside Captain Jack Harkness, as played by John Barrowman.

Marsters, also known for his role as Spike in TV shows Buffy and Angel, was last seen in the Torchwood Series 2 finale in 2008 and has returned to wreak havoc in the new release coming next year, The Death of Captain Jack. Producer James Goss comments:
                          The Death of Captain Jack is just naughty! It was a joy to get James Marsters back in, and, once again, Captain John romps through Torchwood like a demented clown.

If you've ever wondered what Torchwood would be like with Captain John at the helm, wonder no more. Nothing from the world of Torchwood emerges unspoiled – and that includes Queen Victoria, and Ianto's dress sense!”

Pre-order here and check out the details below:

The Death of Captain Jack

Captain Jack is finally dying, and it's time for his oldest friend to visit his deathbed. King John has come to tell him a story. The story of the life he should have had.

It's the story of Alexander the Great, sinking ships, falling empires, robot dinosaurs, and alien invasions. It's a story of love, royal weddings, murder, mass murder, genocide, and very tight trousers.

It's the story of the life of Captain John and it's the story of Torchwood. Be careful what you wish for.

James Marsters is joined by John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness), Gareth David-Lloyd (Ianto Jones), Kai Owen (Rhys Williams), Tom Price (Andy Davidson) and many more.

The Death of Captain Jack will be released in March 2018 – it is available for pre-order now on CD and download. Check out the Big Finish website here for Torchwood bundle deals.

Pre-order The Death of Captain Jack here

Comment

BBC3 confirms Doctor Who spin-off Class has been axed after one series

“The show didn’t really land for us” admits BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh

By Ben Dowell

Thursday, 7th September 2017 at 4:44 pm

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...ass-cancelled/

The BBC has officially confirmed that its Doctor Who spin off Class will not be returning for another series.

The drama, written by Young Adult author Patrick Ness, attracted lukewarm reviews when it was shown on BBC3 and in a late night slot on BBC1. Ness has already said he wasn’t writing any more episodes.

However the show had not formally been decommissioned – until today that is, when hopes that the series could continue were finally dashed by BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh.

Asked by RadioTimes.com whether it would be coming back, Kavanagh said, “No, no.”

“There was nothing wrong with it,” he added. “I thought Patrick did a great job, he explored an amazing world. In honesty it didn’t really land for us on BBC3; some shows don’t and I have to make decisions about what we’re going to do from a drama point of view, and what we did after Class was Clique which worked really well for us.”

The drama centred around Coal Hill School, the modern-day incarnation of the educational establishment which featured in the first episode of Doctor Who, and which has been a location in a number of subsequent stories.

Peter Capaldi’s Doctor appeared in episode one of the show to explain to the classmates their important role in protecting Earth due to a tear in the universe located at the school.

The main characters included Ram, April (Sophie Hopkins), Tanya (Vivian Oparah) Charlie (Greg Austin) and alien teacher Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly).

Comment

Celebrating Sylvester McCoy: The Magnificent Seven

By Cameron K McEwan on Thursday 7 September 2017

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...nificent-seven

Today is the 30th anniversary of Sylvester McCoy’s first appearance as the Seventh Doctor in 1987's Time and the Rani.

We asked Doctor Who Big Finish writer and BAFTA-nominated documentarian Chris Chapman to talk about his love for Doctor number seven.

Read more about The Seventh Doctor here.

The Magnificent Seven
                              By Chris Chapman

When I was 7 years old, Doctor Who was massive. All the kids I knew watched it. We were all terrified by the monsters – the Daleks, the Cybermen, those ones that came out of the sea - and we would play out their battles with our hero, the Doctor, in the school playground. Doctor Who seemed like the biggest thing on telly, and if that was true, then the biggest star on the box had to be Sylvester McCoy.

It was only when I got a little older that I realised the horrifying truth. For most British television viewers, the McCoy era of Doctor Who simply did not happen. It was not a thing. Nobody cared.

As a teenager, I got my hands on geeky Doctor Who literature for the first time, and found to my surprise that the ratings for stories I had loved across the McCoy era were among the lowest Doctor Who had ever received. On top of that, the public seemed to think that my hero Sylvester was a joke, that the terrifying Kandyman (from The Happiness Patrol) was one of the most embarrassing thing ever seen on television and that the programme was ‘tired’ and ready to be put out of its misery. Which, in 1989, through no choice of its own, it was.

None of this made any sense! Had everyone been watching a different television show? I felt like I’d been taking crazy pills! How had they missed the wet-the-bed terrors of the Chief Clown (The Greatest Show in the Galaxy), or that time the Brigadier shot the Destroyer (Battlefield) or that awesome bit when the Dalek went up the bloody stairs (Remembrance of the Daleks)!

But no, people were still making jokes about the Daleks and stairs. I couldn’t understand it. And then it dawned on me. The public didn’t hate the McCoy era. They had just missed it. They were busy watching Coronation Street (ITV's long-running soap, up against the Doctor Who time slot). And it was their loss.

For a generation of primary school kids growing up in the late 80s, Doctor Who felt like the best thing on telly, because… well, it was. My classmates and I may have been living in a pro-McCoy bubble – but it was a very sensible bubble, because McCoy era Doctor Who was, and is, ruddy awesome.

Suddenly, after a few years of not knowing quite what to be, Doctor Who had a purpose, it had a spirit and a magic and it had a Blue Peter badge-wearing teenager blowing up things with a rocket launcher!

And it left a huge impression. For those late 80s kids, kids like me, Doctor Who meant as much as it had to the 7 year olds who watched Tom Baker in the mid-70s. They had jelly babies and Sarah Jane, we had the Kandyman and Ace.

You think I’ve got my nostalgia goggles on, right? Well, yes, and no. Any era of Who burns itself into the memories (and nightmares) of the seven year olds watching, but I’ve re-watched the 87-89 run many times since, and I still believe the same thing – it’s wicked.

Now, I’m not daft, those three years are not without faults – certainly nobody would claim that the McCoy era arrived fully formed. Season 24 is a show in (sometimes painful) transition – Time and the Rani is a hot mess written for a different Doctor; Paradise Towers has a script that gives the first hints of cleverness and big ideas to come, but almost ruins it with a terrible production; then Delta and the Bannermen comes along and suddenly Doctor Who is a child again – a 24 year old show entirely energised once more; season 24 ends with Dragonfire, which – by introducing new companion Ace (played by Sophie Aldred), moves the pieces into place for the real dawn of the McCoy era.

Doctor Who’s last two seasons – 25 and 26 – represent one of the most diverse, imaginative, mad runs the show has ever achieved, and you don’t have to be 7 years old to appreciate that.

When season 25 kicked off in 1988 with Remembrance of the Daleks, the show was suddenly full of great ideas and striking visuals again. We’d be acting out scenes in the playground – somebody would be Ace beating up the poor kid essaying ‘Dalek’ with her imaginary baseball bat, somebody would be the scary possessed girl, some lucky blighter would be the Special Weapons Dalek, and then, of course, somebody was the Doctor. But watching it now, it’s still a terrific script (by Rivers of London’s Ben Aaronovitch) and production – and we have a new double act of of leads in Sylvester and Sophie who genuinely seem to love each other’s company. That’s the bedrock of any classic Who era, whether that be Two and Jamie, Four and Sarah Jane or Ten and Donna.

Doctor Who had its confidence back. Nobody was watching, but it didn’t seem to care! In script editor Andrew Cartmel, you had someone drawing his inspiration from comic books of the time, like Watchmen. The programme gained a more character-driven form, particularly in the way Ace develops and grows up. There’s a real attempt, with stories like Ghost Light, The Curse of Fenric and Survival, to flesh out and deepen the role of a Doctor Who ‘companion’. When Ace returns to her run-down home town in Survival and finds that all her old friends have vanished – it feels sad and real – totally alien to how Doctor Who might have done things in the past. It’s far closer to how the show returned in 2005.

As Sylvester settles into the role, we get a Doctor who mixes the best bits of the character and adds much that is unique to him. He can be ridiculous, charming, funny, mysterious, alien and ancient. He likes jazz, hates burnt toast and is probably planning to blow up your planet. Yes, watching him now, I prefer it when he doesn’t shout or roll his ‘R’s too much, but he is a fantastic Doctor. He is my Doctor.

The stories themselves could be satirical (The Happiness Patrol), surreal (The Greatest Show in the Galaxy) and action-packed (Battlefield). By the time they were making The Curse of Fenric, Doctor Who was not only attempting its first WW2 story, but marrying a multi-layered script with great production values. And Nicholas Parsons!

Also, I persist that the cliffhanger to Survival episode 2 – when Ace turns to reveal that she has become a reality-hopping cheetah person, and we know instantly that the Doctor will have to use his best friend to survive – is one of the most underrated and brilliant in the whole 50-odd year run.

And then it was gone. In 1989, after three years of unseen McCoy goodness, Doctor Who was killed off. It was at a creative peak it had rarely reached before, but nobody cared. Eight-year-old me patiently waited for a new season of Sylvester and Sophie – but it never came. Like young Amy Pond, I sat outside on my suitcase and my Doctor never came back. Well, not for a while anyway.

Today marks 30 years since the birth of this outstanding, *underseen* Doctor Who era. This makes me feel very old. But it also makes me want to watch Remembrance, or Greatest Show or Survival, right now. So I will. And remember what the fella said: somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do!

With special thanks to Chris Chapman.

Comment

Celebrating 30 years of Sylvester McCoy: 7 Memorable Moments from the Seventh Doctor
                                By Cameron K McEwan on Thursday 7 September 2017

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/celebrating-30-years-of-sylvester-mccoy-7-memorable-moments-from-the-seventh-doctor

Today marks 30 years since Sylvester McCoy first appeared in Doctor Who – in 1987’s classic adventure, Time and the Rani.

We here at doctorwho.tv are celebrating the Seventh Doctor with some of the Time Lord’s most memorable moments which we’ve collected for you below to enjoy.

You can also check out a tribute to Sylvester McCoy’s incarnation from Doctor Who Big Finish author and documentary maker, Chris Chapman, here.

Read more about The Seventh Doctor here.

Time and the Rani
                                Here are McCoy’s first joyous moments post-regeneration (and still wearing the Sixth Doctor costume). He’s up against fellow Gallifreyan, The Rani, and is still finding his feet (literally).

Also, his umbrella game is very strong.

1996 TV Movie
                                And here’s one of his final moments (almost). Cruelly, the Seventh Doctor’s majestical and mystical reign in the TARDIS comes to a very real and Earthly end as he’s gunned down in the middle of a gang war in San Francisco.

Not the most exciting end for a Time Lord.

The Name of the Doctor
                                Then, nearly 20 years later, Sylvester’s Time Lord made an appearance during the multi-Doctor scenes in the 2013 Series 7 finale during the Eleventh Doctor era.

The literal cliffhanger from 1987’s Dragonfire was used to great effect as contemporary companion Clara Oswald looked on…

Remembrance of the Daleks
                                Davros! Like three of his predecessors, Seven met the maniacal scientist behind the Daleks. In a battle for the tantalisingly-named ‘Hand of Omega’, the Seventh Doctor matched Davros’ insane rants with one his own ending on the much-quoted, “Unlimited rice pudding, etcetera, etcetera!”

Classic Slyv.

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
                                McCoy in full magical mode here as he performs tricks with eggs and rope, does a bit of dancing and rolls his ‘R’s like nobody’s business in the presence of the “Gods of Ragnarok”.

This 1988/9 four-parter is also notable for one of Doctor Who’s creepiest villains ever, the Chief Clown. If you’re scared of clowns, don’t watch…

Remembrance of the Daleks
                                Another moment from a story which often makes the Top 10 of favourite Doctor Who stories ever from fans. This gem from 1988 has many great facets (60s London, Dalek Factions, scary school kids) but this lovely quiet moment in an everyday cafe displays McCoy’s charm and thoughtfulness.

“Every great decision causes ripples,” the Time Lord muses in the midst of an intergalactic calamity. Fact fans will note that the man he’s chatting to in the cafe, John, is played by Joseph Marcell, who would go on to find fame as butler Geoffrey in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Survival
                                Arg, the feels!

This is the final scene for the Seventh Doctor and Ace as they walk off into the distance never to return. As incredible as it may seem, in 1989 Doctor Who came to an end (not to be seen again until 1996’s TV Movie with the Eighth Doctor), leaving Whovians heartbroken across the world.

This closing speech was specifically written and recorded after the episode was completed with the assumption that the show was not to return.

And, as an extra special treat, here’s that iconic title sequence, used for the Seventh Doctor only!

Comment

Working...
                                X