This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youngster!
    That was a classic for sure and I'm not surprised you remember that story clearly!

I'm hazy on detail for far too many older episodes,because there were quite a few eps I missed ,and there weren't repeats back in the 60's and 70's.
    Once school bit,and exams became important, I had to stop dreaming about Who and scifi for years,but it's been a constant and a comfort show with darker themes at times that I enjoy too,y'know?

Casting rumours,gossip and unsourced news probably cropped up all along but if it did,I can't remember awfully much,aside from the papers trying to guess who was following on from Tom Baker,or talking about Michael Grade.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I've a very vivid memory of being at the shops with my mum on the Monday morning following ep. 6 of "Planet of the Spiders" and the Regeneration, and telling the nice lady in the shop all about it, then getting the "Oh, a talking dog" look from her.

You know? The one fans get from non-fans?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Oh I know exactly the look and attitude.They aren't so much Non Fans as snotty and condescending especially to kids, but to adults too,lol!

There's also the kind of person who needs to inform us (on and offline -they're just about everywhere) that it's a "cheesy children's show" or "I hate it all and don't see how you can like it".

Well I got news for them...

They don't pay my tv licence,cable,subs or electricity and don't live with me ,so have no way to stop me watching ,and I don't care what they think.I just carry on regardless and that really annoys them!

Comment

The thing that cheers me up, is thinking about all the people I was in school with in the 70s and 80s who sneered and mocked me for being a Doctor Who fan (and being into sci-fi in general) who now have children of their own, and those kids love Doctor Who.

Ha-ha-ha, who's laughing now?
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Divine payback!

My sis is in that position.She hates just about anything scifi except for original Trek (because she fancied William Shatner),but her daughters grew up loving Sylvester McCoy and her grandchildren never miss Doctor Who and lots of other scifi ,so she has to endure it whenever she visits.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              The thing that cheers me up, is thinking about all the people I was in school with in the 70s and 80s who sneered and mocked me for being a Doctor Who fan (and being into sci-fi in general) who now have children of their own, and those kids love Doctor Who.

Ha-ha-ha, who's laughing now?
              Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Divine payback!

My sis is in that position.She hates just about anything scifi except for original Trek (because she fancied William Shatner),but her daughters grew up loving Sylvester McCoy and her grandchildren never miss Doctor Who and lots of other scifi ,so she has to endure it whenever she visits.
              You guys have been having such a long conversation, doing this now I feel like the Master popping up during the Doctor's trial in The Trial of a Time Lord!

Baggie (The Inquisitor): This is an independent conversation started by these forum members to talk about serious Whovian similarities...

Alan (The Master): Madam, I know! I've followed the conversation with great interest and indeed amusement, but now I must intervene for the sake of...my own Whovian similarities.

I'd found myself somewhat alone in my fandom of Doctor Who during my childhood apart from on the Saturday's when I'd go around to stay with my cousins who got me into the show...and into sci-fi in general actually. Grew up with vague memories of watching Peter and Colin. Really began watching Sylv. when he began on TV in '87 when I was 6. My friends, and no-one in school or in college talked about it.

Loneliest time as a fan for me was back in '98 or '99 during a college trip to the Doctor Who Experience in Llangollen (it wasn't my first visit at that time btw) but it was ruined by the mocking and snide remarks and just general lack of interest from people. After we all came out at the exit, I pretended I'd lost something inside just so I could go around on my own and actually enjoy the place (poor K1 robot so tall for the booth he had to have his head down by his feet )! But come 2005 and suddenly people that had been in denial of watching in the '80's and having an interest...DID! Odd that...

If only 2005 had happened to my friends and all those closet fans in the late 80's and '90's. It was almost like a moment of clarity for them.
              Last edited by Alan; 05 January 2021, 05:51 PM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Yeah, it can be very lonely being the only sci-fi fan in your family. My older brother works for a bank, plays golf, and is a Freemason - how much more normal can you get?

I can remember my dad occasionally watching Doctor Who with me when I was a kid, but that was probably more to do with him ogling Leela's legs than anything else.

I practically learned how to read thanks to the old Target Books novelisations of stories that were before my time.

So yeah, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars and the like have always been a big part of my life.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                  I practically learned how to read thanks to the old Target Books novelisations of stories that were before my time.
                  I was banned from reading the Target novelisations in Primary School. The ban affected me, and my best friend at the time (whom I had convinced to become a DW fan). I took the issue up when we were having class debates, and convincingly won by popular vote, however the teacher held the ban in place.

The novels did more than teach me how to read - taught me cataloguing, followed by programming when I took my card system digital... Still have them all, including (purportedly) JN-T's copy of Mindwarp.
                  Last edited by cosmichobo; 06 January 2021, 01:07 AM.
                  back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                  "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                  "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                  and lots more!

Comment

Doctor Who Season 24 - Blu-ray
                    Thursday, 21 January 2021 - Reported by Marcus

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2021/0...4_blu_ray.html

The next release in the Doctor Who: The Collection range will be Season 24, the first staring the Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy.

First shown in 1987, the box set can be pre-ordered from today ahead of a release date later this year.

Doctor Who – The Collection: Season 24

• TIME AND THE RANI
                    • PARADISE TOWERS
                    • DELTA AND THE BANNERMEN
                    • DRAGONFIRE

Season 24 first aired in 1987 and saw the Seventh Doctor and companion Mel, played by Bonnie Langford, travel through space and time traversing alien planets, a hostile futuristic tower block, 1950s Wales and finally, the mysterious colony of Iceworld, where the Doctor meets Ace played by Sophie Aldred.

The Doctor is faced with enemies including the Rani (Kate O’Mara) and the terrifying Tetraps in Time and the Rani, Kroagnon and his cleaning robots in Paradise Towers, the ruthless Bannermen in Delta and the Bannermen and Kane (Edward Peel), the murderous ruler of Ice world in Dragonfire.

These four stories have been newly remastered alongside extensive and exclusive special features including

• EXTENDED VERSIONS of all four stories, featuring previously unseen material
                    • IMMERSIVE 5.1 SURROUND SOUND – on all four stories and extended versions
                    • ISOLATED SCORES – on all four stories
                    • BRAND NEW DOCUMENTARIES - Including a feature-length overview of Season 24 -Here’s To The Future, plus The Making Of Delta And The Bannermen.
                    • RARE STUDIO & LOCATION FOOTAGE - Over 25 hours of raw material never seen before, including behind-the-scenes footage from the regeneration scene
                    • IN CONVERSATION - Matthew Sweet interviews Sylvester McCoy about his life, career, and time as the Seventh Doctor.
                    • BEHIND THE SOFA - Four new episodes with Sylvester McCoy, Bonnie Langford, Sophie Aldred, Peter Davison, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Colin Baker & Michael Jayston
                    • THE DOCTOR’S TABLE - Sylvester McCoy, Bonnie Langford, Sophie Aldred and Clive Merrison reminisce about the making of the season.
                    • RARE GEMS FROM THE ARCHIVES - Hours of footage covering the promotion of this season including lots of previously unreleased material.
                    • AN AUDIENCE WITH LADY STEPHENS - A brand new interview with Season 24 actor and rocky Horror cult figure Patricia Quinn
                    • BLU-RAY TRAILER - A brand new mini-episode
                    • CONVENTION FOOTAGE
                    • HD PHOTO GALLERIES - Including many previously unseen images.
                    • INFO TEXT - Behind-the-scenes information and trivia on every episode.
                    • SCRIPTS, costume designs, rare BBC production files and other rarities from the archive

The eight-disc box set also includes hours of special features previously released on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Doctor Who – The Collection: Season 24 can be pre-ordered now from Amazon, HMV and Zavvi and will be released later this year.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

I know it's not a stellar season, but I'm looking forward to this.
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

Lost ‘Doctor Who’ Season ‘Fury From the Deep’ Gets Premiere Date at BBC America

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

'Doctor Who' Characters Take Over 'Funko Pop! Blitz' Puzzle Game

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

​ ​The Ninth Doctor vs the Cybermen!
                            Tuesday, 30 March 2021 - Reported by Marcus

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2021/0...cybermen_.html

​​
                            Christopher Eccleston’s Ninth Doctor will encounter some old friends and foes in the forthcoming volumes of Big Finish’s Doctor Who –The Ninth Doctor Adventures.

The Ninth Doctor will soon face off against one of his greatest enemies –the Cybermen, as voiced by Nicholas Briggs.

The final episode of volume three, due for release in November 2021, features one of the menacing Mondasian monsters on the set of Fritz Lang’s celebrated 1927 motion picture, Metropolis.

Writer John Dorney said:
                            “I know everyone was very keen for the Ninth Doctor to have an encounter with the Cybermen, and as they were the only Doctor and monster I hadn’t written for at Big Finish, I was very keen to be the one to write it! It was a real honour getting to script their meeting... particularly as it gave me the chance to dive into my love for the movies and write a bit of a celebrity historical.”

In volume four, due for release in February 2022, the Doctor is reunited with Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, as played by Jon Culshaw, in an adventure that takes the Time Lord to the Firth of Forth.

Writer Roy Gill said:
                            “The Brigadier is an iconic character from the Classic Series, whereas the Ninth Doctor arrives at the very forefront of the New Series. They may initially seem very different, but there’s an interesting connection: both forthright and deeply decent, they’ve been through conflict and arestill fighting for what’s right... It was a privilege to write their first meeting for Big Finish.”

Producer David Richardson added:
                            “It’s been so enjoyable creating a whole new era for the Ninth Doctor, and I think the scripts really succeed in defining that bold new start. We are talking the Ninth Doctor pre-Rose. These are the adventures some time after his regeneration, travelling alone, starting to discover himself after all that time being the War Doctor.”

Doctor Who fans worldwide can now pre-order all four volumes of The Ninth Doctor Adventures, which are available in three formats –collector’s edition CD, digital download or limited edition gatefold triple LP vinyl –exclusively from the Big Finish website at bigfinish.com.

Comment

Q&A with Christopher Eccleston | The Ninth Doctor Adventures | Doctor Who
                              •19 Apr 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi_HO6SrwSA

Doctor Who

Before the Ninth Doctor's return in new audio adventures, Christopher Eccleston answers questions from listeners! Pre-order the Ninth Doctor Adventures here: http://bit.ly/NinthDoctorAdventures

Comment

It looks like Doctor Who has gotten another Guinness World Record or rather Big Finish got it for Doctor Who:
                                Big Finish Receives a Guinness World Records™ Title for Doctor Who

Comment

Working...
                                X