This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
    http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11...leased-in.html Back when Tom Baker was kind of famous for playing the Fourth Doctor, he and fellow WHO actor, Ian Marter ("Harry Sullivan"), locked themselves away with some booze somewhere and wrote a Doctor Who Screenplay, with the idea being for the two of them, plus Liz Sladen as Sarah Jane, to reprise their roles for the big screen. Sadly (?) the project never saw fruition, and has long been forgotten except in the darkest recesses of fandom. About a decade ago someone discovered that a copy of the script had been donated to the British Film Institute by former WHO producer, John Nathan-Turner. Now, some bright spark has novelised the script, and as per the above link from Doctor Who News, we will soon be able to read the story, or even listen to Tom Baker reading it on audio tape. I for one am a little perplexed... If it actually is good, then it'll be so much the harder to swallow given the fact we didn't actually get a movie out of it. Of course, if it had gone to production, the tv series would likely have ended before Doc 5 ever arrived...
    I'm looking forward to finally getting the opportunity to read the book that Tom Baker and the late Ian Marter originally intended as a Doctor Who movie and discovering what mad and amazing things Tom and Ian dreamed up for Scratchman.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

The Witchfinders | OFFICIAL TRAILER - Doctor Who Series 11 Episode 8

BBC
      Published on 25 Nov 2018

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Billie Piper Back As Rose Tyler for Big Finish
        Monday, 26 November, 2018 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11...r-for-big.html

Rose Tyler, as played by Billie Piper, is returning for a new Doctor Who audio spin-off, and she’s bringing along her family and friends.

Rose Tyler: The Dimension Cannon,is a new audio series made by Big Finish Productions in association with BBC Studios. It follows Rose’s journey through dying parallel worlds and also stars Camille Coduri as Rose’s mum Jackie, Shaun Dingwall as her dad Pete, Mark Benton as alien investigator Clive Finch and Elli Garnett as Caroline Finch.

Producer David Richardson tells how the series came about.
        I approached Russell T Davies with the idea of Big Finish making a Rose Tyler spin-off. He was very enthusiastic - as always - and suggested we followed Rose’s journey that ultimately leads to her finding the Doctor in The Stolen Earth. I found the pro-posal irresistible, and instantly script editor Matt Fitton and I were throwing around ideas. There is a whole multiverse of possibilities. Russell suggested including Jackie and Pete, and embraced my idea of including a parallel universe version of Clive - who of course was killed off in the TV series (in the 2005 episode Rose).

Russell guided us gently through the development - steering us towards ideas that worked brilliant-ly, ensuring things that needed improvement were fixed, and also throwing out the ideas that didn’t work. I’m absolutely delighted with what we have - a family drama about the end of worlds. It’s about love and loss and things that might have been - and our brilliant cast have embraced the emo-tional scripts.

What we have is different from previous iterations. It’s rather dark (though never short on wit and charm) but it’s not really about villains. It focuses on the fight to survive against the odds, and on the power of family and love.

The four episodes follow Rose’s mission to seek out the Doctor, the only person who can save the doomed multi-verse.

1. The Endless Night by Jonathan Morris
        2. The Flood by Lisa McMullin
        3. Ghost Machines by AK Benedict
        4. The Last Party on Earth by Matt Fitton

The series has its own distinct tone. Focusing on the era of Russell T Davies, there are no alien threats or villains to defeat. Instead these amazing stories capture and showcase the beautifully rich human characters of Doctor Who.

Billie Piper shared her excitment at returning to the role.
        I love how normal Rose is, and yet really extraordinary. She lived a normal av-erage life but she is incredibly curious and has an enormous capacity for love and empathy and is really spirited. She is extraordinary.

That’s the great thing about Doctor Who. It challenges new-thinking. It’s progressive and it can be political in amongst these human emotions and relationships. I think that’s its greatest appeal.

From the worlds of Doctor Who, Rose Tyler – The Dimension Cannon will be released in September 2019, available for pre-order now on CD at £25 on CD and £20 on download.

Comment

28th November 2018
          Doctor Who
          The Collection Season 18 Blu-ray

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite....ction-blu-ray/

Available to order from www.amazon.co.uk
          Also available to order from www.hmv.co.uk and www.zoom.co.uk

BBC Studios announces Tom Baker’s final series as the next instalment in the DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION Blu-ray range

BBC Studios continues to offer Doctor Who fans the opportunity to build their own home archive on Blu-ray. Following the sell-out success of Tom Baker’s debut season, his seventh and final series will be released on 25th February as Doctor Who – The Collection: Season 18.

Tom Baker’s final year saw the programme undergo radical changes in front of the cameras and behind the scenes.
          Producer John Nathan-Turner revamped the series with new writers, new directors, a new title sequence and theme arrangement, glossy production standards and – throughout the course of the season – a brand new regular cast. Over seven classic adventures the Doctor and his companions encountered the Foamasi, Meglos, the Marshmen, vampires and Tharils, building to a final deadly showdown between the Doctor and his arch nemesis the Master.

As a special bonus this set also includes the 1981 K9 & Company Christmas pilot episode, plus hours of brand new material.

Starring alongside Tom Baker are Lalla Ward as Romana, Matthew Waterhouse as Adric, Sarah Sutton as Nyssa, Janet Fielding as Tegan, Anthony Ainley as the Master, Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah-Jane Smith and John Leeson as K9.

Special Features exclusive to this set include:

• New Making-Of documentary and updated special effects for Logopolis
          • Revealing new 2019 commentaries moderated by Matthew Sweet (Tom Baker on The Leisure Hive, Lalla Ward & Rachel Davies on State Of Decay)
          • Surround sound mix for Warriors’ Gate
          • Rare behind-the-scenes footage from The Leisure Hive, Full Circle and Logopolis
          • Eight more editions of Behind The Sofa
          • Brand new documentaries The Writers Room and Weekend With Waterhouse
          • New interview with K9 & Company’s Ian Sears
          • Another dip into the Panopticon convention archives with Tom Baker
          • HD photo galleries plus scripts, production files and rare documentation provided as PDFs
          • The eight-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.

All material has been remastered for Blu-ray by Peter Crocker and Mark Ayres. Lee Binding has provided stunning packaging and new series writer/content consultant Pete McTighe has written another extensive booklet. Russell Minton is Executive Producer.

Blu-ray trivia: when filming took place for Logopolis (1980), Tom Baker’s last adventure, the intention was to shoot at the University of Manchester’s Jodrell Bank Observatory. Instead, production took place at Crowsley Park with the team using model shots.

For the brand new Blu-ray, almost 40 years later, BBC Studios received permission to film at Jodrell Bank with a drone. Offered as an alternative viewing option, fans will now be able to experience the finished product just as it was originally intended.

DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION – SEASON 18 includes the following stories from 1980/81:

• The Leisure Hive (four episodes)
          • Meglos (four episodes)
          • Full Circle (four episodes)
          • State Of Decay (four episodes);
          • Warriors’ Gate (four episodes)
          • The Keeper Of Traken (four episodes)
          • Logopolis (four episodes)
          • plus K9 & Company – A Girl’s Best Friend.

RRP: £56.16

Comment

A lifetime of George Lucas's "as originally intended" BS has really soured me on the phrase, but in this case I think it may actually apply.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It Takes You Away - This Weekend
              Saturday, 01 December, 2018 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/12...s-weekend.html

A number of new publicity images to promote this week's episode of Doctor Who, It Takes You Away

It Takes You Away

Writer: Ed Hime
              Director: Jamie Childs

On the edge of a Norwegian fjord, in the present day, The Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz discover a boarded-up cottage and a girl named Hanne in need of their help.

What has happened here?

What monster lurks in the woods around the cottage – and beyond?

This episode will debut on BBC One at 6.30pm.

Main Broadcast Details
              United Kingdom BBC One Sunday 2nd December 6.30pm BST
              United States of America BBC America Sunday 2nd December 8.00pm EDT
              Canada SPACE Sunday 2nd December 8.00pm EDT
              Australia ABC Monday 3rd December 6.00pm AEST
              Full listings here

Comment

Animated Macra Terror - Coming March
                Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/12...ing-march.html

The BBC has revealed that an animated version of the 1967 story The Macra Terror will be released in March 2019

The four part Patrick Troughton story has been missing from the BBC Archives for many years, although a copy of the soundtrack exists.

Rumours of an annimated version of the story were confirmed by the BBC today releasing a trailer for the story on their YouTube channel.

As well as the Second Doctor, the story features Ben, played by Michael Craze, Polly played by Anneke Wills and Jamie played by Frazer Hines

Comment

Ok, why is the animation in colour if the story was originally made and shown in black and white?
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                    Ok, why is the animation in colour if the story was originally made and shown in black and white?
                    As with The Power of the Daleks, there will be both black & white and colour animated reconstructions.

Comment

When they animated single / double episodes in order to complete a story (eg Tenth Planet, Moonbase, etc), it made complete sense that they used b&w animation, to fit in with the existing footage.

In this instance, and with Power, there are no existing episodes, and colour sells better than B&W. So - it makes commercial sense to go with colour, reaching a wider audience. It opens it up to a wider audience than just the keen collector - a modern fan could more easily choose to buy it, when they see it sitting on the self next to modern WHO, than if it were only b&w.

And... WOOT! Another animated Troughton story! I just can't handle recons... nor audios... so this is great news to me.

On a side note - it will be very interesting to see if the 10 minutes of WHEEL are b&w or colour... Following my logic above, b&w may suggest they have recovered more episodes and are filling in the blanks with b&w animation...
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

A quick heads up for those of us in the UK.

William Russell will be talking to Mike Read about his career.

6am to 6:30am, Saturday 8th December, on the Talking Pictures TV channel.
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

A quick heads up for those of us in the UK.

William Russell will be talking to Mike Read about his career.

6am to 6:30am, Saturday 8th December, on the Talking Pictures TV channel.
                          Thanks for the heads up about that! Will be sure to watch!

Comment

Jealous!

Hopefully they'll put it on their YouTube channel...
                            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                              Jealous! Hopefully they'll put it on their YouTube channel...
                              I had no idea that there was a YouTube channel too! Wow, thanks. Subscribed.

Comment

Talking Pictures TV is a fantastic channel.

It's a veritable treasure trove of obscure movies and old TV series.

I like to think I've got a pretty broad knowledge of movies and TV shows from years gone past, but even so - they're showing stuff that even I've never heard of.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X