Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Bradley says he’d “bite their hand off” if the BBC asked him to do more Doctor Who
    The Game of Thrones actor, who portrays William Hartnell’s First Doctor in the upcoming Christmas special, is keen to keep playing the Time Lord

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...re-doctor-who/

By Huw Fullerton
    Saturday, 28th October 2017 at 6:09 pm

Doctor Who fans around the world where delighted when it was revealed this summer that David Bradley was returning to the sci-fi franchise, the veteran actor stepping back into the costume of the First Doctor (having previously played the character’s original actor William Hartnell in 2013) for upcoming Christmas special Twice Upon a Time.

And now it turns out that Bradley is keen to keep on coming back to the Whoniverse, with the Game of Thrones and Harry Potter star telling RadioTimes.com of his fervent desire for more Tardis trips in the future even after the festive episode airs this December.

“If they asked me, yes, I’d bite their hand off,” Bradley told us behind the scenes at MCM London comic-con, where he was appearing with Adventure in Space and Time co-star Claudia Grant.

“I think it would be fun. So far, I’m very happy to have been involved in both [Doctor Who and An Adventure in Space of Time].

“It’s quite something, you never expect in your career – something you watched when you were young and never imagined you’d be involved in something so iconic. As I say, it’s a late treat!

“If someone wanted to do that, I’d be very interested, yeah,” he concluded. “Of course.”

Later, while speaking at a panel to fans of the show Bradley revealed the reason for his desire to keep up the Tardis-piloting, citing his recent weeks filming Twice Upon a Time as one of the most rewarding acting jobs he’d ever had in his long and storied career.

“The Christmas special is something I’ll treasure,” he told the crowd.

“I haven’t even seen it yet, so I don’t even know if it works or not. But the trailer looks quite promising I think!”

And given his admitted impatience to see new Doctor Jodie Whittaker in action, we’re betting Bradley will find plenty to keep enjoying this Christmas – even if he doesn’t get the chance to come back again himself.

Doctor Who returns to BBC1 this Christmas

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Paddy Russell 1928-2017
      Thursday, 02 November, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/11...1928-2017.html

One of the great pioneering Television Directors of her generation, Paddy Russell, has died at the age of 89.

Patricia Russell, known to all as Paddy, had a long and distinguished career as one of the first female Directors in British television. She trained as an actor attending the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Before long she realised that she was more at home behind the scenes moving to become a stage manager.

In the 1950's Television was crying out for theatre staff to work in the new medium and Russell was recruited as a production assistant, working with the famed director Rudolph Cartier. Acting as the director's eyes and ears on the studio floor, Russell worked on some of the most innovative and pioneering dramas of the day including the Quatermass science-fiction serials as well as the 1954 adaptation of George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four starring Peter Cushing.

In 1963 she became a director herself, directing many episodes of the soap opera Compact. Over the next twenty years, she worked on many of the best known classic television series.

Her first encounter with Doctor Who came in 1966 when she became the first female Director to work on the show. She helmed the First Doctor story The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve. One advantage the newish Director had when faced with the notoriously irascible William Hartnell was the fact that for the majority of the story he was not playing The Doctor, but another character, The Abbot of Amboise. She told Doctor Who Magazine
      Bill was actually the Doctor only in the first and last episodes. Other than that he was the Abbot of Amboise. Therefore I had the natural advantage with Bill, with whom I got on very well, in terms of saying ‘The Doctor’s showing’ if I didn’t like what he was doing. That worked like a charm, because the Doctor couldn’t show.

It was eight years later that Russell returned to the show working on the six-part Jon Pertwee story Invasion of the Dinosaurs. It was a story fraught with technical difficulties in the attempt to bring dinosaurs to London using the primitive methods available in the early 1970's. While not always successful it was a story Russell was very proud of.
      In a way, I still think ‘Invasion of the Dinosaurs’ was the best one I did. It was the hardest to do – a complete beast and I suppose I accepted it for the challenge. The biggest difficulty was deserted London which we got around by going out at five one Sunday morning.

Two more stories followed, both staring the Fourth Doctor, Tom Baker. In 1975 she directed the fan favourite Pyramids of Mars, followed in 1977 by the Horror of Fang Rock. She had a prickly relationship with the lead actor whom she found increasingly difficult to work with.
      Tom Baker was easy to deal with at first, but the part went to his head completely. By the time I did ‘Horror of Fang Rock’, he was desperately difficult to work with. I remember one particular scene which involved Tom coming very fast through a doorway, followed by Louise. I’d set it up for the cameraman to stay with Tom but he couldn’t and wouldn’t come in normally. We did four takes, but the cameraman simply couldn’t hold him So, in the end, I said ‘Fine’ and told the cameraman to stay with Louise instead.

During her long career Paddy Russell also worked on The Newcomers, Little Women, Fathers and Sons, The Moonstone, My Old Man, Z Cars, Within These Walls, 3-2-1 and Emmerdale

Paddy Russell died earlier this week.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Dudley Simpson 1922-2017
        Sunday, 05 November, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/11...1922-2017.html

One of the most prolific contributors to Doctor Who, Composer Dudley Simpson has died at the age of 95.

Dudley Simpson worked on at least 290 episodes of Doctor Who, writing the score to over 60 stories. His music provided the soundtrack to the majority of the adventures of the first four Doctors as well as contributing some of the most iconic TV Theme tunes, writing the title music for Blake's 7 and The Tomorrow People.

Dudley Simpson was born in Australia on the 4th October 1922. He served in World War II before studying orchestration and composition at the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music. He worked for the Borovansky Ballet Company, the predecessor to the Australian Ballet, before moving to the UK, where after a season as guest conductor at Covent Garden, he became Principal Conductor of the Royal Opera House orchestra for three years.

He first wrote music for television in 1961, working on a BBC drama called Jack's Horrible Luck, directed by Gerard Glaister. It was his work on the drama Moonstrike which brought him to the attention of Doctor Who's Associate producer Mervyn Pinfield, who recruited him to write the music for the First Doctor story Planet of Giants.

Over the next 15 years, he would contribute more to Doctor Who than almost any other person. His role call is incredible. Following Planet of Giants he wrote the score to The Crusade; The Chase; The Celestial Toymaker; The Underwater Menace; The Evil of the Daleks; The Ice Warriors; Fury From the Deep; The Seeds of Death; The Space Pirates; The War Games; Spearhead From Space; The Ambassadors of Death; Terror of the Autons; The Mind of Evil; The Claws of Axos; Colony In Space; The Dæmons; Day of the Daleks; The Curse of Peladon; The Three Doctors; Carnival Of Monsters; Frontier In Space; Planet of the Daleks; The Green Death; The Time Warrior; Invasion of the Dinosaurs; The Monster of Peladon; Planet of the Spiders; Robot; The Ark In Space; The Sontaran Experiment; Genesis of the Daleks; Planet of Evil; Pyramids of Mars; The Android Invasion; The Brain of Morbius; The Masque of Mandragora; The Hand Of Fear; The Deadly Assassin; The Face of Evil; The Robots of Death; The Talons of Weng-Chiang; Horror of Fang Rock; The Invisible Enemy; Image of the Fendahl; The Sun Makers; Underworld; The Invasion of Time; The Ribos Operation; The Pirate Planet; The Stones of Blood; The Androids of Tara; The Power of Kroll; The Armageddon Factor; Destiny of the Daleks; City of Death; The Creature from the Pit; Nightmare of Eden; and The Horns of Nimon.

His one appearance in the series came in 1977 when he played the Conductor in Episode 4 of The Talons of Weng-Chiang.

Simpson's last commission for the series would be for the lost story, Shada. With the advent of a new producer, John Nathan Turner, who wanted a fresh sound for the programme, his services were dispensed with.

Dudley Simpson's work on Doctor Who brought him to the attention of other TV producers and in the 1970's his talent could be heard providing the soundtrack to many much-loved series. He wrote the music to The Brothers, the 1972 drama that dominated the ratings on Sunday evenings and introduced Colin Baker to the country. He wrote the theme to The Tomorrow People, the ITV Science Fiction series for children. And he wrote the spectacular theme to Terry Nation's Blake's 7 and provided incidental music for 50 out of the 52 episodes made.

Other series included Moonbase 3, The Ascent of Man, Target, A Little Princess, Paul Temple, Lorna Doone, Kidnapped, Curtain of Fear, Triton, The Man Outside, A Pin to See the Peepshow, Microbes and Men, Madame Bovary, North & South, Katy, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, The Legend of King Arthur, Stalky & Co, Dombey & Son, Goodbye Mr. Chips, The Diary of Anne Frank, Super Gran and several plays in the BBC Television Shakespeare series.

Dudley Simpson retired in the 1990's and returned to his native Australia. He returned to the UK in 2013 to help celebrate Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary

Dudley Simpson died on Saturday 4th November in Australia.

Comment

Bradley Walsh’s childhood Doctor Who memories are adorable
          And the new companion has some news about what his role means for The Chase

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...-who-memories/

By Huw Fullerton
          Tuesday, 7th November 2017 at 11:24 am

When it was first rumoured that TV entertainer Bradley Walsh was in the frame to be a Doctor Who companion, most people’s initial reaction was bemusement. Would the BBC really cast the host of The Chase as the co-lead of one of its biggest franchises? And wouldn’t they prefer to get a more serious actor to join Jodie Whittaker in the Tardis?

But of course, this fear didn’t last long. By the time Walsh’s casting was officially announced (alongside Tosin Cole, Mandip Gill and Sharon D Clarke), many fans had discovered his long and successful acting sideline with roles in the likes of Coronation Street, Law & Order: UK and even Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures.

And now it’s emerging that Walsh has an even longer association with the series than anyone realised, after a childhood that was fairly focussed on a certain Time Lord.

“I thought as a kid that I was The Doctor’s biggest fan, so my mum and dad bought me a battery-operated Dalek,” Walsh recalled in an interview with the Telegraph. “I must have worn it out, I played with it so much.

Doctor Who stars Mandip Gill, Bradley Walsh, Jodie Whittaker and Tosin Cole (BBC)

“Now here I am, 50 years later, and possibly going to meet them for real and all of a sudden I’m eight years old again. Time travel is a wonderful thing, isn’t it?”

Describing his new galaxy-hopping gig as “the stuff of dreams” Walsh also recounted happy memories of watching William Hartnell’s First Doctor in black and white, as well as queuing outside the Carlton Picture House in Watford to see Peter Cushing’s film version, and he was confident that fans wouldn’t be disappointed in his performance.

“A lot of comics make good actors,” Walsh said. “Actors make bad comics. They can’t do it the other way round.”

So all looks good for Whovians when it comes to Bradley Walsh’s time in the Tardis – but that doesn’t mean he’s turned his back on his other fans, confirming that he intends to keep shooting episodes of ITV quiz hit The Chase despite his new commitments.

“I love it, it’s like going to the fun factory every day,” he said.

With all these commitments, Walsh might need a Tardis trip or two himself to fit everything in.

Comment

New Doctor Who Christmas special scene to be unveiled on Children in Need
            You won’t have to wait long to see a little bit more of Peter Capaldi’s last stand

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...ldren-in-need/

By Huw Fullerton
            Tuesday, 7th November 2017 at 1:49 pm

While we still have a couple of months before we see this year’s eagerly-anticipated Doctor Who Christmas special (featuring the debut of new Doctor Jodie Whittaker), fans won’t have to wait too long before they get to see a little bit more of Twelfth Doctor Peter Capaldi’s final stand – because a special “sneak peek” of Twice Upon a Time is coming to TV next week.

RadioTimes.com has confirmed with the BBC that the clip will air on BBC1 during Friday 17th November’s Children in Need broadcast, and will take the form of a scene from the final episode rather than a special one-off scene created specifically for Children in Need, as has sometimes been the case.

The clip is set to air during the earlier part of the Children in Need broadcast (7:30-10:00pm), and continues a tradition stretching back to 2005 when fans got their very first look at David Tennant’s Tenth Doctor in action for that year’s broadcast. Since then, the series has almost always produced a one-off sketch or preview clip associated with the Christmas special for fans to enjoy during the charity event, so it’s great to see the tradition continue.

Currently, it’s unclear exactly what the content of this new scene will be, but it seems likely the first-look footage will involve Capaldi and David Bradley’s First Doctor, with the Harry Potter and Game of Thrones star taking over the iconic role from late original actor William Hartnell (who played this first incarnation of the Time Lord in the 1960s).

Whatever the footage ends up being of, though, we’re sure it’ll be just the thing to whet fans’ appetites for the full Christmas meal this December. We’re starting our own Doctor Who advent calendar early this year…

Comment

Hopefully we'll get a more specific timeframe for the preview nearer the time.

I've long since given up on watching the BBC's annual "Make a complete tit of yourself on live TV in aid of charity" show.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

How to watch Doctor Who's 97 missing episodes, from 1963 to 1969
                Lost in time and space... how can you enjoy these classics?
                By Morgan Jeffery
                7 November 2017

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/cult/fe...bnails&slide=1

Comment

I really wish more of those episodes would turn up... I love Patrick Troughton's Doctor, it kills me that so much of his tenure is lost.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

New Doctor's Costume Revealed
                    Thursday, 09 November, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/11...-revealed.html

The BBC has released the first image showing Jodie Whittaker in her role as the Thirteenth Doctor

Jodie Whittaker's first appearance in Doctor Who will be at the end of the upcoming Christmas special. He first full series is currently in production for broadcast in the Autumn of 2018

Comment

My initial reaction is that that looks terrible, but then I realize: 35 years on, nobody even blinks at lapel celery.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        New Doctor's Costume Revealed
                        Thursday, 09 November, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/11...-revealed.html

The BBC has released the first image showing Jodie Whittaker in her role as the Thirteenth Doctor

Jodie Whittaker's first appearance in Doctor Who will be at the end of the upcoming Christmas special. He first full series is currently in production for broadcast in the Autumn of 2018
                        Absolutely loving the look Jodie Whittaker will be rocking! I can see hints of Troughton's hobo-ish look in this! I'm looking forward to discovering how the Doctor comes across these new clothes...either stealing them from a hospital or gaining them from the TARDIS wardrobe room.

Comment

First impressions - oh dear...

The coat is the only thing I like. I hope it's warm otherwise poor Jodie's going to be absolutely freezing when they go on location.

Trousers at half mast? Half laced boots? What's that all about?
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

All the Doctor Who references in Jodie Whittaker’s new costume
                            The boots, the braces, the stripes - the Thirteenth Doctor's new look is packed with references to previous incarnations, and beyond...

By Thomas Ling, Huw Fullerton, Paul Jones
                            Thursday, 9th November 2017 at 4:18 pm

Full Article: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...ostume-outfit/
                            Last edited by Alan; 10 November 2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

New Doctor Who companion Bradley Walsh will be appearing on The One Show tonight
                              Tune in to find out more about the Doctor's new companion and The Chase host

By Ellie Harrison
                              Friday, 10th November 2017 at 3:21 pm

Full Article: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...-show-tonight/
                              Last edited by Alan; 10 November 2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Doctor Who: Everything we know about Jodie Whittaker’s new Doctor – UPDATED!
                                From a new costume and Tardis to a full TEAM of companions, we’re collecting all the info about the Thirteenth Doctor ahead of her first appearance in the Doctor Who 2017 Christmas special

By Huw Fullerton
                                Friday, 10th November 2017 at 11:16 am

Full Article: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...die-whittaker/

Comment

Working...
                                X