This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Twelfth Doctor's Best Moments - Doctor Who - BBC

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Steven Moffat on Thirteenth Doctor: Jodie Whittaker 'put a smile on my face immediately’
      By Cameron McEwan on Wednesday 13 December 2017

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...ce-immediately

Doctor Who Magazine issue 520 (out Dec 14) features an in-depth and exclusive interview with outgoing showrunner Steven Moffat.

Steven, who leaves his post as Doctor Who boss this month, chatted with DWM about his very last story, the 2017 Christmas Special, Twice Upon A Time. This was also be the final outing for Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor and will see the debut of the Thirteenth Doctor, Jodie Whittaker.

From Doctor Who Magazine 520:
      “I must be honest, everyone’s watching for the last minute,” chuckles Steven, “and people are going to absolutely love Jodie. Then they’ll notice that, at the same time, they miss Peter, but it’s not like it’ll be a grieving process. Or rather, with a new Doctor, it’s always grieving and falling in love simultaneously.”

Discussing the handover to his successor Chris Chibnall, whose first series in charge airs in 2018, Moffat admits the process was emotional:
      “It’s an odd feeling. It’s just weird. You suddenly realise that the new guy, the new showrunner, has to come barreling through the door and take over. It’s a slightly bewildering feeling. But it’s an amazing process.”

Although Steven wasn't on set for filming on Jodie's first scene as the Thirteenth Doctor, he has seen the finished product.
      He told DWM:
      “It’s slightly strange and very, very good. Jodie put a smile on my face immediately. She was funny from the off. I thought that was great.”

You can read the full interview with Steven Moffat and Bill actress Pearl Mackie in the latest edition of Doctor Who Magazine along with a Christmas Special preview and much, much more.

Doctor Who Magazine 520 is on sale from Dec 14, 2017.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Read Peter Capaldi's touching farewell to Doctor Who: "For me, it's been an amazing trip"
        Here's the goodbye message Capaldi wrote to fans, cast and crew.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a845423/peter-capaldi-doctor-who-farewell-message-christmas/

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor... but only for 11 more days.

He'll bow out in this year's Christmas special, 'Twice Upon a Time', after four years in the role.

Last night, at a screening of the episode for press and fans, Capaldi - who couldn't be there in-person - sent along a farewell message to his fellow cast, crew and fans.

You can read the full message - in full and unedited - below. Try to save the tears for December 25...

"I'm really sorry I can't be with you tonight. I'd like to thank all my friends on Doctor Who for sharing their good humour, talent and life with me over the last four years. And particularly, Steven Moffat, who has brought so much to Doctor Who, even more than might be realised today, but will be seen clearly in the future.

© BBC/BBC Worldwide

"I'd like to thank everyone who loves the show for sharing it with me, and sharing the boundless generosity of spirit that it embodies. I wish Jodie and the new TARDIS team all the best for the future, and the past, and everything inbetween, and look forward to watching them journey to new and wonderful places.

"For me, it's been an amazing trip. I went to the end of time, I met fantastical creatures... and I blew them up. But now it's over. Time I was off.

Peter Capaldi."

Reflecting on Capaldi's final episode in a Q&A session following the screening, outgoing showrunner Steven Moffat praised the actor's "amazing performance" in 'Twice Upon a Time'.

© BBC/BBC Worldwide

"He's a great man, he's a great friend, and I'm saying goodbye to the whole show, [but] I'm also saying goodbye to working with Peter all the time, which is just incredibly sad," Moffat said.

"But I'm delighted to report that he's in Glasgow and texting me pictures of TARDISes he finds on the street, just in case you think he's left it all behind.

"He found a red one, he wasn't pleased at all."

Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time will air on BBC One on Christmas Day at 5.30pm. The hour-long special will mark the departure of both Moffat and series lead Peter Capaldi, with Chris Chibnall and Jodie Whittaker stepping in as their replacements.

Comment

The War Master: Only The Good
          bigfinishprod
          Published on 14 Dec 2017

Get it now at Big Finish! - https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v...-the-good-1681

Synopsis
          ----------
          Four brand-new full-cast featuring the Master’s exploits in the Time War.

1. Beneath the Viscoid by Nicholas Briggs

On the ocean planet Gardezza, deep beneath the Viscoid, a mysterious capsule is recovered from the Time War, and an equally mysterious stranger found within. The Doctor’s reputation precedes him, even here… but can he be trusted?

2. The Good Master by Janine H Jones

The Time War rages around Arcking - a planet serving as a sanctuary for the sick and injured. But Arcking is protected by a mysterious, powerful force: a force the Master will stop at nothing to harness… even if time itself is against him.

3. The Sky Man by James Goss

When his new companion decides to save a planet, the Master indulges this most futile of requests. Materialising on a primitive, agrarian world, both the strangers quickly find their place in it… until fallout from the War invades their happy paradise.

4. The Heavenly Paradigm by Guy Adams

With his plans approaching fruition, the Master travels to Stamford Bridge in the 1970s: a location he believes might hold the key to his success. But what terrible secret lurks under the stairs of No. 24 Marigold Lane? And what sacrifices will the Master make in the name of ultimate victory?

Written By: Nicholas Briggs, Janine H Jones, James Goss, Guy Adams

Directed By: Scott Handcock

Cast

Derek Jacobi (The Master), Nicholas Briggs (The Daleks), Jacqueline King (Nius), Deirdre Mullins (Osen), Mark Elstob (Glortz), Rachel Atkins (Major Desra), Hannah Barker (Phila), Jonny Green (Cole Jarnish), Jacob Dudman (Arcking 12 Computer), Emily Barber (Elidh), Robert Daws (Anvar), Nerys Hughes (Mrs Wilson), Jonathan Bailey (Marigold Lane Computer). Other parts played by members of the cast.

Producer Scott Handcock
          Script Editor Nicholas Briggs
          Executive Producers Jason Haigh-Ellery and Nicholas Briggs
          video by: Tom Saunders Dalek ships by: Chris Thompson

Available Now: https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v...-the-good-1681

Comment

I know in this day and age it would be unacceptable for her to grab her chest after regenerating and saying something like 'what the...' before fading to black (even though it was perfectly acceptable for Matt Smith to do something similar) but it would be quiet amusing if she simply looked down and muttered 'well that's new'.

But I doubt the BBC would have the guts to do it, I expect the fact the doctor has changed gender will probably be completely glossed over because some idiot somewhere probably said we can't highlight that because gender shouldn't matter or some such, i hope I'm proved wrong but I just can't see them doing that.

Comment

Steven Moffat just gave an epic speech about why Doctor Who is the greatest show in the world: “now I’m leaving I’ll say it”
              "Count the scientists, the musicians, the scholars, the writers, the directors, the actors, who became what they are because of this show"

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...-in-the-world/

By Paul Jones
              Thursday, 14th December 2017 at 12:35 pm

A demob happy Steven Moffat took the opportunity at this week’s Doctor Who Christmas special screening to say what he really thinks about the sci-fi show he has helmed for the last nine years.

At the Q&A that followed the episode, the departing showrunner gave an impassioned off-the-cuff speech setting out just why he believes Doctor Who is the greatest television show ever made. And if you’re a fan, it may just make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck…

“It’s worth saying, because I don’t think it’s ever said enough… the reason Doctor Who is as successful – I mean humanly successful – for so long in such an enduring way – and I’m just gonna say it because I don’t ever say it, but now I’m leaving I’ll say it – it is actually the greatest television show ever made.

“I’m gonna prove it to you. There are probably press here who are ‘No, it’s The Wire’. It’s not The Wire. It’s not I Claudius. It’s not The Office. It’s not even Blue Planet. It’s Doctor Who and I’m gonna prove to whoever is doubting me the hardest that they’re wrong to doubt me.

“How do you measure greatness? Do you measure it by ratings? Do you measure it by reviews? Christ no, of course you don’t.

“Do you measure it by perfection? Is Doctor Who perfect every week? No, it’s not. It really isn’t. It can’t be. Because every episode of Doctor Who is an experiment, and if you experiment every single week, sometimes you get a faceful of soot and you’re blinking the smoke away and you look a bit ridiculous. That happens. Perfection is the refinement of boredom, it’s doing the same thing all the time perfectly. Doctor Who, by always being different, can never be perfect.

“But yes, how do we measure its greatness?

“There are people who became writers because of Doctor Who. Loads of them.

“There are people who became artists because of Doctor Who.

“There are people who became actors because of Doctor Who. Two of them have played the Doctor.

“There are people, believe it or not, who become scientists because of Doctor Who. That seems improbable given we said the moon was an egg, you’d think they’d have a problem with it.

“But people become scientists, people change their view of the world and what they’re capable of, because of a silly show about a man who travels around in time and space in a police box.

“So, never mind the reviews. Never mind anything. Never mind the ratings. Never mind any of that.

“Count the scientists, the musicians, the scholars, the writers, the directors, the actors, who became what they are because of this show.

“Count, as you might say, the hearts that beat a little faster because of Doctor Who.

“I do not even know what is in second place, but without doubt, and by that most important measure, Doctor Who is the greatest television show ever made.”

Comment

What are the air dates for the xmas special in different countries?
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                  What are the air dates for the xmas special in different countries?
                  Twice Upon A Time - Timeslot Announced
                  Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/12...announced.html

The BBC has confirmed that this year's Christmas Special, Twice Upon A Time will be broadcast at 5.30pm, Christmas Day on BBC One.

The timeslot follows the pattern of recent years whch sees Doctor Who as the anchor of the BBC's Christmas Evening Entertainment.

Overseas the Episode is expected to be braodcast on BBC America and on SPACE on Christams Day at 9pm and on ABC Australia on 26th December at 7.30pm.

Comment

Twice Upon A Time - Media Pack
                    Monday, 18 December, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/12...edia-pack.html

With just one week to go until the world gets to see the final moments of the Twelfth Doctor in Twice Upon A Time, the BBC has released a wealth of promotional material, including interviews with the main cast.

Full Article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/12...edia-pack.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      Twice Upon A Time - Timeslot Announced
                      Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/12...announced.html

The BBC has confirmed that this year's Christmas Special, Twice Upon A Time will be broadcast at 5.30pm, Christmas Day on BBC One.

The timeslot follows the pattern of recent years whch sees Doctor Who as the anchor of the BBC's Christmas Evening Entertainment.

Overseas the Episode is expected to be braodcast on BBC America and on SPACE on Christams Day at 9pm and on ABC Australia on 26th December at 7.30pm.

Oh cool so for us it will air on boxing day.
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                        Oh cool so for us it will air on boxing day.
                        Yeah.

And for more international broadcast dates and times, they can be found here: http://guide.doctorwhonews.net/story...=AA&premonly=1
                        Last edited by Alan; 20 December 2017, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Everything you need to know about classic Doctor Who story The Tenth Planet
                          Your complete guide to The First Doctor’s final adventure, which features in this year's Christmas special Twice Upon a Time

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...-tenth-planet/

By Thomas Ling
                          Wednesday, 20th December 2017 at 11:07 am

Whovians, we’re in for a treat. Not only is the Doctor Who Christmas special set to unveil Jodie Whittaker’s Thirteenth Doctor and the return of companion Bill Potts, but Peter Capaldi’s last adventure through time and space will also contain many callbacks to classic Who story The Tenth Planet.

In fact, with David Bradley taking over the role of The First Doctor from William Hartnell (an actor who died in 1975), Twice Upon a Time actually takes place during this First Doctor story. We even know exactly when the crossover lies: the events of the Christmas special will happen between scenes 21 and 22 of part four of The Tenth Planet.

However, it’s likely that you haven’t seen this story on TV before as A) it was first broadcast in 1966, and B) the last quarter of the four-part series has been lost for decades and only exists in audio/animated form.

Fortunately though, we’ve materialised a quick-fire Q&A that should douse any burning questions you have about the meeting of classic and modern Who

What episode does The First Doctor deliver the line “Love, pride, hate, fear. Have you no emotions, sir?”
                          You know the one: it’s from the opening scene of the Twice Upon a Time trailer – the sequence that morphs between archive film of Hartnell and new colour footage of Bradley.

The line is taken from The Tenth Planet, a Doctor Who four-part serial from 1966 (as discussed above). It featured Hartnell as The First Doctor, his last story as the Tardis’ incumbent Time Lord.

What happens in The Tenth Planet?
                          The story starts with The Doctor and his companions of the time – Polly and Ben – materialising at Snowcap, a space tracking station based at Earth’s South Pole. The year is 1986, 20 years in the future to a 1966 audience.

However, the time-travelling trio don’t have much time to enjoy this futuristic polar base: as ever, The Doctor soon discovers a massive problem. An unknown planet has joined the solar system (making it the tenth planet to orbit the sun* – hence the title) and is hurtling towards Earth. DUM DUM DUMM.

And things suddenly get a lot worse when the tracking station is swarmed by strange metal robo-monsters: the Cybermen, in their first ever screen appearance. However, these aren’t the strong steel cyberman from the Matt Smith/David Tennant era, but the basic white balaclava beings we saw at the end of series 10.

Don’t worry: however scary their appearance and worrying their speech inflexions, these Cyberman looked very silly karate chopping their enemies…

After taking over Snowcap, the Cybermen reveal they’ve rocketed to Earth from the inbound tenth planet, their homeworld Mondas. And it turns out they have an evil scheme: convert all humans into Cyberman before sucking up all energy from Earth. (This plan also involves a bit about Z-bombs, Geneva and a spaceship called Zeus IV, but let’s keep this simple, eh?).
                          For a while, the Cyber plan goes smoothly: Mondas begins to absorb Earth’s power and the Cybermen take The Doctor and Polly back to their Cybership as prisoners. However, they fail to realise that Mondas is absorbing too much energy and the planet explodes, shutting down all Cybermen.

After the monsters are defeated, Ben rushes to free Polly and the semi-conscious Doctor from their Cybercages, telling the Time Lord “it’s all over now”. The weary Doctor doesn’t agree, however, replying, “but it isn’t all over. It’s far from being all over…”

The Doctor then demands to get back to his Tardis immediately and leaves the Cybership for the polar landscape without his companions.

According to the BBC, before returning to his time machine, The Doctor was also supposed to deliver the line “No, I can’t go through with it! I can’t. I will not give in!”. The line was cut from the final episode, but it indicates that, just like his twelfth incarnation, The First Doctor was trying to fight his regeneration.

So, is that where Twice Upon a Time fits in?
                          Yes. According to Doctor Who magazine, the events in the Christmas special occur in the period between The Doctor leaving the Cybership and returning to his Tardis at the end of The Tenth Planet.

Of course, we’ve already seen where the Twelfth Doctor’s story and The Tenth Planet intersects: remember when Capaldi’s Doctor comes across Bradley’s at the end of series 10 finale The Doctor Falls? That’s when The First Doctor is returning to his Tardis.

Interesting, so what happens at the end of The Tenth Planet? Does the First Doctor regenerate?
                          Correct! In the final scene, we see Polly and Ben arriving at the Tardis where the First Doctor collapses on the floor with a mysterious bright light beaming from his face which changes, becoming younger. He now has the body of Patrick Troughton, the Second Doctor.

However, this wasn’t called a ‘regeneration’ back in 1966 – that word wasn’t used until eight years and two Doctors later in 1974’s Planet of the Spiders. In fact, at the time of The Tenth Planet’s first broadcast, Who fans didn’t even know The Doctor was a Time Lord – this was was only revealed during 1969 story The War Games.

Wasn’t William Hartnell ill during filming?
                          Great Who Knowledge: the man who played The First Doctor was indeed in poor health during his last Who story and had to be written out of part of The Tenth Planet. As Hartnell was too ill to appear in the third episode of the story, writer Gerry Davis re-worked the script.

This re-write saw The Doctor mysteriously fall unconscious at the start of episode three and his lines were handed out to other characters, particularly Ben.

You said earlier some of The Tenth Planet footage was lost?
                          Yes, as is the case with many of the classic Doctor Who stories, part of The Tenth Planet is missing, with the last episode reduced to audio with stills and scene directions. And since William Hartnell was too ill to feature in the third episode, this means the last surviving First Doctor story doesn’t actually feature the First Doctor.

However, just like lost Tom Baker-era serial Shada, the Who team have made an animated reconstruction of the fourth episode of The Tenth Planet, available on the special DVD release of the episodes.

Hang on, if the last episode of The Tenth Planet is lost, how do we still have footage of William Hartnell’s regeneration?
                          Like so many things, it’s all thanks to Blue Peter. A copy of the sequence was used for a special Who edition of the kid’s show, which discussed The First Doctor’s regeneration. And unlike The Tenth Planet itself, this Blue Peter episode hasn’t gone missing in space and time.

This episode of Blue Peter inadvertently also preserved other key Doctor Who sequences, including Katarina’s death in The Daleks’ Master Plan.

*Of course, today’, a new planet would be our solar system’s ninth as, since 2006, Pluto has not been classified as a planet.

Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time airs on BBC1 on Christmas Day (Monday 25th December) at 5:30pm

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                            So, is that where Twice Upon a Time fits in?
                            Yes. According to Doctor Who magazine, the events in the Christmas special occur in the period between The Doctor leaving the Cybership and returning to his Tardis at the end of The Tenth Planet.
                            The closing minutes of Tenth Planet episode 4? Interesting, I wonder if that means a heavy Ben/Polly presence in Twice Upon a Time. I had actually expected this would slot in during Tenth Planet episode 3, when the Doctor disappears for most of the episode.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              The closing minutes of Tenth Planet episode 4? Interesting, I wonder if that means a heavy Ben/Polly presence in Twice Upon a Time. I had actually expected this would slot in during Tenth Planet episode 3, when the Doctor disappears for most of the episode.
                              I suspected that all those months ago when The Doctor Falls aired. If you look at where I've set my location *looks to left of screen* you will see that it says "Antarctica in December 1986". And the dialogue the 1st Doctor says in The Doctor Falls:

"I will not change! I will not! No, no, no, no, the whole thing is ridiculous!"

before he reveals himself to the 12th Doctor always felt to me like missing dialogue that would have been added to a Target novelisation of The Tenth Planet. Target's novelisations of TV stories always liked to expand or slightly differ from their TV counterparts in a variety of ways.

Comment

Three Wise Women With Jodie Whittaker
                                Friday, 22 December, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/12...whittaker.html

Jodie Whittaker
                                is one of BBC Radio 6 Music’s Three Wise Women who are taking to the airwaves to bear her gifts of wit, wonder and wisdom.

Whittaker will host the programme on Christmas Eve with Beth Ditto taking over on Christmas Day and Sharon Horgan on Boxing Day.

Whittaker will look after BBC 6 Music from 6pm to 2am, including presenting her very own show which will feature the music that has inspired her, as well as looking back across the past year and ahead to 2018.

The Wise Women will also be selecting their favourite 6 Music programming from the archive, with a mixture of shows from Iggy Pop to The First Time with…, and live music to documentaries.

BBC Radio 6 Music is available worldwide on the BBC iPlayer.

Comment

Working...
                                X