Page 3 of 608 FirstFirst 1234561353103503 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sci-Fi Channel passes on Doctor Who?

So what's his mission? To travel back in time and just keep an eye on things?
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

I heard many local PBS stations stopped carrying it a long time ago because it became too expensive. I loved the Tom Baker episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by FurlingChieftan
    What didn't you like about it? I thought it was cool the autons were great!
    I did like it overall, but it was flawed. The biggest problems are:

1.) The sound mix. There are huge chunks of dialogue that get lost to the music and soundfx, making it difficult to make out at times. This actually could get fixed before the 26th.. they do have time.

2.) The music. Just frelling awful. Loud, blaring, corny, and completely at odds with what's happening onscreen. There are a few auton scenes that should be menacing, but aren't because the music was all bombast and techno. Keff Mcullough wasn't this bad. Wish they'd gotten Mark Ayres.

3.) The pacing. Roses's introduction is rushed. The auton story is rushed. It's all a case of too much in not enough time... but it's a pilot, and barring having made it in 2 parts, I'm not sure what could have been done about it.

That's all just the flaws to my perspective. As for why the Sci-Fi Channel would pass on it... I can just see this being a tough sell to an American network. The fact it's shot on processed video, and it's at times corny humor... unless you're an American who likes British stuff (as I am), it would have been a very tough sell. Visually it won't compare with the likes of the Stargates and BSG.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownFallAngel
    So what's his mission? To travel back in time and just keep an eye on things?
    "The Doctor is a legend woven through history..."

He doesn't have a mission per se. He just sort of travels through time and space, anywhere there's trouble, and he fights evil and helps things be as they should be. He's sometimes referred to as "Time's Champion."

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Airman

The more I read, the less I think this has any chance with American audiences. It makes Farscape seem much more palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by IMForeman
    "The Doctor is a legend woven through history..."

He doesn't have a mission per se. He just sort of travels through time and space, anywhere there's trouble, and he fights evil and helps things be as they should be. He's sometimes referred to as "Time's Champion."

-IMF
    A simple 'Yes' would have suffied. lol. Thanks man. Aprreciated.
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Carson’s Wrestling Mat yaaayoubetcha's Avatar

That sucks!

I was really looking forward to new Who. Maybe they'll wise up and take a risk.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Don't know as I'm shrill and ill-informed

I'm an American and I loved Dr. Who. . .translated okay with me.

Tom Baker was the best. . had a crush on Peter Davison. Sort of disappeared around here though, sadly.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/joesmom1/Kitty.bmp

When all else fails, change channels.

Probie

Smile Re: Doctor Who UK Air-date and US Network Rumors.

Dr. Who will air in Canada on April 5 on the CBC.

Post SF Crowsnest -- HUGO Nominees & Free Dr Who E-books

From SF Crowsnest:

DAILY NEWS

Hugo nominees in short fiction categories available online for 2005.

http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/news/arc/2005/nz8070.php

Hugo fiction online
    20/05/2005 . Source: Jessica Martin

The organisers of Interaction, the 63rd World Science Fiction Convention, have written in to point out that works nominated in the short fiction categories of this year's Hugo Awards are available online.

To facilitate those who wish to find the online versions, the Interaction Web site now contains a page of links to the various sites where the stories are held.

"The short fiction categories of the Hugo Awards have always been among the most difficult to vote for because the stories are published over the period of a year and in various publications," said Vincent Docherty, Co-Chairman of Interaction. "However, with the coming of the Internet, authors and publishers have increasingly elected to make their nominated works available online, in most cases at no charge. We are delighted that the best work of 2004 is now more accessible, and that members will be able to enjoy all of the stories as well as having a more informed choice when they come to vote."

For more details check out these coordinates: http://www.interaction.worldco*n.org.uk/hugolink.htm

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Free Dr Who E-books

http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/news/arc/2005/nz8086.php

Free Dr Who E-books
    15/05/2005 . Source: Jessica Martin

The good old BBC are making some of their out-of-print Doctor Who novels available as free e-book downloads.

They include titles such as The Dying Days By Lance Parkin (can the Eighth Doctor thwart an Ice Warrior invasion?), and Scales of Injustice By Gary Russell (the Silurians come up against a sinister government department).

Check them out over at http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/ebooks/index.shtml

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

Default Brits love Doctor Who - official

Doctor Who has topped a poll to find the best British fantasy show. The recently-revived science fiction drama beat comedy classic Red Dwarf into second place in a survey of 4,000 readers of SFX magazine.

SFX magazine editor Dave Bradley told BBC online that Doctor Who was "a great British institution which has entertained people for generations... The recent series has just introduced a whole new generation to the concept and reignited our love for it."

Other series to make it onto SFX's top 10 include cult classic The Prisoner (5), and old favourites such as Blake's 7, Quatermass (7), surely due for a revival in these anxious times1, and The Avengers (9). Most of the places in the list are occupied by genre classics but Channel 4's hip vampire drama Ultraviolet lends the run-down a more contemporary edge. ®

1. Doctor Who
    2. Red Dwarf
    3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    4. Blake's 7
    5. The Prisoner
    6. Sapphire and Steel
    7. Quatermass
    8. Ultraviolet
    9. The Avengers
    10. Robin of Sherwood

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08..._fantasy_poll/
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have. so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Default Re: Brits love Doctor Who - official

Woooooooo
    My top 3 fave brit sci fis are at the top 3
    Doctor Who, Red Dwarf and The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy own all british sci fi.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Yippee!!! Go the Doctor!! Good to see Quatermass in there too - saw the DVD of the Quatermass trilogy in Dymocks today... Christmas is lookin' good!!

Second Lieutenant

Glad to see Doctor Who came first and Ultraviolet was in there. Shame they never made a second series of that.
    Last edited by in circles; August 7th, 2005 at 08:58 AM.

Carson’s Wrestling Mat yaaayoubetcha's Avatar

Robin of Sherwood?

ugh
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

I can't think of a better all round SciFi show than Dr Who.

I loved Blake 7 but haven't seen it for many years. Red dwarf / HHGTTG are both funny and brilliant in fact interesting that all top three shows are a mixture of humour and straight SciFi. You guys have great taste.

Glad to see Red Dwarf and Dr Who at the top they are so cool. But Sapphire and Steel, wasn't that in the early seventies? I don't ever remember watching repeats of it either. And robin of sherwood hmmmm....are they making it up!

I'm stunned and very happy to see Ultraviolet there, despite only having a single series. (It didn't get cancelled, the people making it just decided not to make a second series. Grrrr.)

Madeleine

Should I be embarrassed to admit that I loved Robin of Sherwood and never missed an episode if I could avoid it?

I plead irresponsible youth - I was in my early teens and didn't know any better.

It was superbly loopy though - all that stuff with a dude wearing a stag's head on his bonce and dispensing wisdom while standing in front of a huge spotlight and smoke machine. Add a slightly maniacal/borderline doolally Sheriff of Nottingham and a suitably lunkheaded sidekick, all the requisite stereotype merry men etc. etc.

Mind you, I've caught a few episodes on ITV3 since then, and wondered what on earth I was thinking back when it first aired.

Come on; you know Ultraviolet would've gone down the tubes in a second series. I love the fact it took a graceful bow at the end of its run. Didn't the guy direct Dalek? Joe Ahearne, I mean.

They redid Quatermass just this year. BBC 3, live broadcast: fantastic stuff. Had David Tennant in it and all. Love Dr Who, but the new Quatermass knocked the early episodes of this new series into a cocked hat for tension, although Who got its stuff together for The Empty Child, right enough.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.