Page 2 of 610 FirstFirst 123451252102502 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dr. Who on the SciFi Channel???

Speaking of which, wouldn't Cliff Simon (is that his name?) who plays Baal make a good Master?

Madeleine

Chief Master Sergeant

Default Re: Dr. Who on the SciFi Channel???

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W
    Speaking of which, wouldn't Cliff Simon (is that his name?) who plays Baal make a good Master?
    YES! Start the pettion.

Post SFX Magazine - Photos of Dr. Who filming in Cardiff

For all of you Dr. Who fans out there:

From SFX Magazine:

http://www.futurenet.com/sfx/feature...sectionid=1201

Photos of Dr. Who Filming in Cardiff.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

Default Doctor Who UK Air-date and US Network Rumors.

For any members of GWF who are looking forward to the new series of Doctor Who that's been filming... there are some pretty solid rumors floating around about when it will air in the UK and what network in the US may have aquired the airing rights.

The rumor is that it will air March 26th on BBC1 at around 6:45 or 7:00pm with a special called "Doctor Who Confidential" to air on BBC3 immediately after.

As for the US, it's looking like NBC/Universal has aquired the rights for the American broadcast. These are the guys that own Sci-Fi/USA networks, and the skuttlebut is that the new series will air on Sci-Fi with rebroadcasts and the backcatalog to be on USA. No word on when Doctor Who will air in the US, but I'd bet on Summer with SG-1 Season 9, Atlantis Season 2, BSG Season 2.

These are just rumors for now, but Outpost Gallifrey seems to think they are coming form solid sources. Time will tell. I'm really hoping that the info about Sci-Fi is accurate. BBC America would have been a big mistake.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Default Re: Doctor Who UK Air-date and US Network Rumors.

I will be looking forward to Dr. Who in the US. If it airs on Scifi maybe they will put the older ones on durning the daytime.

Thanks for infromation, IMF.

Carson’s Wrestling Mat yaaayoubetcha's Avatar

if they do make it part of scifi fridays over here, hopefully they'll bump Andromeda into oblivion.

going to dig up my KLF and Orbital albums now....
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Lieutenant Colonel Elwe Singollo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yaaayoubetcha
    if they do make it part of scifi fridays over here, hopefully they'll bump Andromeda into oblivion.

going to dig up my KLF and Orbital albums now....
    Andromeda is out the door this year neway, at least according to thefutoncritic.com

Quote Originally Posted by IMForeman
    The rumor is that it will air March 26th on BBC1 at around 6:45 or 7:00pm with a special called "Doctor Who Confidential" to air on BBC3 immediately after.
    Cool. Must find a TV where I can watch it.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Early Saturday evenings? Interesting - I'd have thought it would have been perfect for the post Lottery timeslot myself - but that would have put it up against Millionaire - too risky. Fair enough - for the sake of UK scifi it had better be good!

Now will this be a stand alone series, with some aspects of the original, or will it be a continuation of the original 26 seasons?
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Carson’s Wrestling Mat yaaayoubetcha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DownFallAngel
    Now will this be a stand alone series, with some aspects of the original, or will it be a continuation of the original 26 seasons?
    as i understand it, it will be a continuation, but with no need for a history recap...

the history of the Dr Who universe will be there but you won't need the Companions guide or History of Time Travel to get by.

i've read that for the first season they won't strictly speaking be leaning on all the old villains and that while trying to maintain the universe they will be going in their own direction.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

What I'm looking forward to (bizarrely) is watching where they've filmed.

This is because BBC Wales are in charge of the revival, and so Dr Who is being filmed in Cardiff, which is where this Unas Matriarch resides. 'Scuse me showing off about it - but I don't get the opportunity to do it very often, so I'm going to enjoy this moment.

Naturally, this has been a source of much amusement to me and my fellow office drones, as the makeup vans and catering bus for the extras have (quite regularly) been clustered in a street alongside our office building. Over the last few months we have, on occasions, looked out of a window and seen groups of aliens standing around having a smoke while they wait for a minibus to transfer them to the set. Surprisingly, this doesn't bother my colleagues; but, as they already work with an Unas, I suppose they're used to that sort of thing by now. Not that I smoke.

We assume that the vans without windows are where they're teleporting them in from the Planet Gargh - or wherever.

Default Sci-Fi Channel passes on Doctor Who?

{MOD INSERT}
    Quote Originally Posted by TameFarrar
    Here is the place you can post links to articles, Reviews, Cast and Crew interviews NOT done by GW. Please remember to post a link as copyrighted material can not be reproduced here.
    and just because I am vain
    Quote Originally Posted by Metarock Sam
    Wow thanks TameFarrer !!!!

IGN seems to think so. So, as of this moment, there are no plans for an American airing of Doctor Who...

-IMF
    Last edited by TameFarrar; March 13th, 2006 at 01:58 PM.
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Default Re: Sci-Fi Channel passes on Doctor Who?

NoooOOoooo! I hope some station on this side of the pond picks it up... all of it. I miss my Doctor Who.

It used to come on PBS stations all the time. They run a lot of British comedies and programming. Maybe one of those will pick it up again.
    "You cannot reason with your own heart;
    it has it's own laws and beats about things
    which the intellect scorns."
    - Mark Twain -

Having just seen "Rose"... I can say I see where Sci-Fi might be coming from. Uneven is the word here.

-IMF
    BAD WOLF!!!

What didn't you like about it? I thought it was cool the autons were great!

Airman

Can someone summarize Dr. Who for me? I saw only parts of a couple episodes on PBS but it seemed like one of those British shows that wouldn't translate well to American audiences.

Captain

Very British indeed.

The Doctor is a Time Lord who tends to meet with a near-fatal accident which causes him to 'regenerate' into a brand new person every time whichever actor who's playing him wants to leave the show. (There've been about eight or nine now since 1963(ish).)

He travels through time and space in a TARDIS. It landed on Earth in the '60s and took the form of a Police Box (now-obsolete police-only phone booth) to blend in, but the disguise feature broke after that, so it still looks that way. A TARDIS is really huge inside, and the word 'tardis' is now part of the English language meaning anything that's bigger on the inside than outside (like a really decent handbag, or a baby's stomach).

The Doctor is pretty eccentric and generally decent, but his personalities vary wildly depending on which actor's era it is. He's always accompanied by an assistant or two; strays, hitchhikers, fellow travellers and the like. The female ones tended to sprain their ankes lots and need rescuing.

The stories (which were usually told over four episodes) were set in the present day, future or past, and on Earth or other planets. The most famous adversaries were the Daleks (also in the english language now, meaning someone who appears to be programmed and mechanical) which were giant pepperpots on coasters with a sink plunger and an egg whisk for arms. They said "Exterminate! Exterminate!" and all the children watching would hide behind a cushion.

The sets were made of cardboard, air-fresheners painted silver, and bits of tin foil. The costumes were made to a similar standard. It looked great.

I loved it when I was little, and Peter Davison (Doctor #5) was my hero.

Madeleine