Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Smile If Magazine Interviews Tahmoh Penikett

If Magazine Interviews Tahmoh Penikett

Exclusive Profile: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA’S TAHMOH PENIKETT

He's the father of a Cylon/human hybrid on the hit SCI FI Channel show, and the actor couldn't be happier

By SEAN ELLIOTT
    2/7/2006

Click on the link to read the interview.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA is one of the top-ranked television programs on the air in prime time. In the new series, the Cylons were built to be servant machines to mankind. They rebel and flee to another planet to establish their own culture. When the original mini-series aired, there existed between the Cylons and humans an uneasy truce. During the forty or so odd years since the original Cylon War, they have evolved into human-looking robots. Think TERMINATOR with emotions and a sex drive. The Cylons strike out at the human colonies with nuclear weapons and force the remnants of humanity to form a rag-tag fleet protected by the Battlestar Galactica, with one purpose- to find Earth.

Tahmoh Penikett plays Lt. Karl 'Helo' Agathon, a GALACTICA crewmember that is stranded on a Cylon controlled planet. During the second season, Helo finds himself back on GALACTICA amidst friends who thought he was dead, and most significantly he is the father of a human/Cylon hybrid child carried by the humanoid Cylon Sharon "Boomer" played by Grace Park.

Penikett chatted with iF MAGAZINE about his role on the series, what it was like being resurrected after the pilot, and what sort of challenges Helo has given to him as an actor.

Default Re: If Magazine Interviews Tahmoh Penikett

Quote Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
    If Magazine Interviews Tahmoh Penikett

Exclusive Profile: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA’S TAHMOH PENIKETT

He's the father of a Cylon/human hybrid on the hit SCI FI Channel show, and the actor couldn't be happier

By SEAN ELLIOTT
    2/7/2006

Click on the link to read the interview.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA is one of the top-ranked television programs on the air in prime time. In the new series, the Cylons were built to be servant machines to mankind. They rebel and flee to another planet to establish their own culture. When the original mini-series aired, there existed between the Cylons and humans an uneasy truce. During the forty or so odd years since the original Cylon War, they have evolved into human-looking robots. Think TERMINATOR with emotions and a sex drive. The Cylons strike out at the human colonies with nuclear weapons and force the remnants of humanity to form a rag-tag fleet protected by the Battlestar Galactica, with one purpose- to find Earth.

Tahmoh Penikett plays Lt. Karl 'Helo' Agathon, a GALACTICA crewmember that is stranded on a Cylon controlled planet. During the second season, Helo finds himself back on GALACTICA amidst friends who thought he was dead, and most significantly he is the father of a human/Cylon hybrid child carried by the humanoid Cylon Sharon "Boomer" played by Grace Park.

Penikett chatted with iF MAGAZINE about his role on the series, what it was like being resurrected after the pilot, and what sort of challenges Helo has given to him as an actor.

Great interview, if you couldn't tell I like helo. lol.

Second Lieutenant

I like Helo too, I hope they don't kill him off.

BTW, he's just a Raptor pilot right? not a Viper pilot? The difference being that Raptor pilots aren't as skilled as Viper drivers? B/c in Pegasus, Apollo was disgusted that he was 'demoted' to flying a Raptor.

Second Lieutenant

I wonder how much he gets paid for his gig?

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by somedude

BTW, he's just a Raptor pilot right? not a Viper pilot? The difference being that Raptor pilots aren't as skilled as Viper drivers? B/c in Pegasus, Apollo was disgusted that he was 'demoted' to flying a Raptor.
    I've been wondering that too. Can Helo fly Vipers? Cause' if so they sure could use him. It appears to me Raptor Piloting is a less skilled position.

Quote Originally Posted by somedude

I don't know if Helo can fly at all, I would assume he can. But he is and electronic countermeasures officer(ECO). Sharon did all the flying. And raptor crews consist of a pilot and an (ECO)

EDIT: If anything raptor piloting is alot harder, you have to avoid enemy fighters when things get hot in a ship not designed for speed and that is alot heavier then a viper.
    Last edited by Helo; February 7th, 2006 at 06:27 PM.

Second Lieutenant

Right, he's the ECO. Hmm, so maybe he's the smart, cuz I imagine the ECOs have to be smart to figure out all the electronics stuff?

Lieutenant Colonel Blue Banrigh's Avatar

He probably could do both, but has a preferred role.

Both Crashdown and Racetrack were Sharon's ECO and both have flown a Raptor themselves.

I'd think that all raptor pilots are now cleared to fly vipers if necessary. I mean think about it, they do have a limited pool of people to pull pilots from for training. In the episode Acts of Contrition they imply that every civilian who's ever been in a cockpit is given a chance to join flight training school under Starbuck's tuteledge. At least an ECO/Raptor pilot would have previous flight experience and understand combat tactics and procedures. Given the choice between training a 'nugget' from scratch and training Helo, or Racetrack, or whoever to fly vipers, which would you go with?
    ...but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come 'round at last,
    Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?

Smile Hollywood.Com Video Interview with Lucy Lawless

From Hollywood.Com:

Hollywood.Com Video Interview with Lucy Lawless

Warning: a spoiler for "Downloaded" was leaked.

Sci-Fi Interview with Chris Zapara (BSG Digital Effects Supervisor)

I found this on digg, so I decided to share it with you guys (since it hasn't been posted yet, I think not)

Link: http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfe...sp?newsid=4808

Wink Fans' devotion surprised star of 'Galactica'

From Relish:

Fans' devotion surprised star of 'Galactica'

By Tim Clodfelter
    Thursday, February 16, 2006

Click on the link to read the entire article. There is also Stellarcon 30 info which Richard Hatch is scheduled to attend.

In the late 1970s, actor Richard Hatch - not to be mistaken for the Survivor winner - became part of an epic science-fiction saga known as Battlestar Galactica. More than 25 years later, he's still a part of Galactica, both upholding the legacy of the original with a series of novels and playing a recurring role in an innovative remake of the series.

The original Galactica ran on ABC from 1978 to 1979, and the first few episodes were edited together into a theatrical film. Hatch played Captain Apollo, a dashing young starfighter pilot helping protect humankind from the evil Cylons, robotic aliens determined to exterminate organic life.

In the new Galactica, he plays Tom Zarek, a charismatic political activist whom some view as a freedom fighter, others as a terrorist.

First Lieutenant

Default Re: Fans' devotion surprised star of 'Galactica'

Am I the only one who feels bad for Richard Hatch? He seems to be holding on to this whole Galactica thing waaaay to much. Conventions, books..."Galactica Cruises"(ugghh must be some party). It just seems like he can't seem to move on with his life. Now he's playing a (in my opinion) charachter written into the show just to appease him.

Richard...move on with your life! The show was cancelled over 25 years ago!!!

First Lieutenant

Well, you're wrong. Zarek is a very important character,

Smile Heavenly body (Interview with Katee Sackhoff)

From Timeout New York; The Hot Seat:

Heavenly body

When Katee Sackhoff joined the crew of Battlestar Galactica, she had no idea she'd become a geek love goddess

By Howard Halle
    Time Out New York / Issue 541: February 9–15, 2006

Click on the link to read the article. Some excerpts:

In only its second season, Battlestar Galactica has reached a cultural tipping point, crossing over from cable-TV cult status to mainstream recognition. The Sci Fi Channel's remake of the short-lived '70s series about a ragtag fleet of spaceships escaping alien annihilation has been noted by such august publications as The New Yorker, and was on numerous 2005 top-ten lists—including the American Film Institute's. Much of the praise has gone to Katee Sackhoff, 25, for her star turn as Kara Thrace, a.k.a. Starbuck, the hotheaded fighter pilot who, when it comes to kicking ass, most certainly does not hit like a girl. After weathering criticism from fans of the original series who didn't like the idea of a female Starbuck, Sackhoff has settled into the character, making it her own. "At this point I've played the role longer than anyone," she says from her home in Los Angeles—where she is occasionally interrupted by barks from her Chihuahua-pug mix, Meatball.

Time Out New York: How does it feel to be a geek sex symbol?

Katee Sackhoff: [Laughs] I don't know. I guess I have my moments. It's so hard for me to think of myself that way. I'm very reluctant to start believing any of the hype, because I've never really thought of myself as sexy.

TONY: Is it true that you actually dream in character?

KS: I do. I'm insane. I have dreams as Starbuck. Dreams that I would imagine she would have, about my job on the ship, or about the other characters.

Chief Master Sergeant userfriendly's Avatar

Default Re: Heavenly body (Interview with Katee Sackhoff)

YEAH! pleeeeeease make a "A-Team: Reimagined" with katee as face LOL

I've seen the Orginal movie but I never saw the series but I had to laugh when I noticed Hatch's face on the side of my DVD and thought duh he's playing as Zarek. But I rather like the fact that Someone from the original is in the new and well Zarek has helped make some really nice plot elements.

haha Well, I like Starbuck more and more after every episode. And the longer her hair gets the better I like her so, I guess I might end up being one of those Starbuck Groupies one day.

regardless of what one thinks about the zarek character (i like him very much)... from the article: "Hatch was disappointed, but didn't want to stand in the way of the new version." - wow! i admire him just for that. what a great man, especially in the light of the behaviour other old cast members have shown...

i mean, this man was THE driving force behind a continuation - and now what? he said NOT A SINGLE bad word about RDM's work, but instead helped him and even contributes with playing tom zarek.

might end up? one day? well, you'll meet me there she's already covering my whole desktop... er, pictures of her, of course. along with gina, that is