Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, people have been talking a big game about how they'll reboot BSG since before the RDM version even ended, and that's ten years in the rearview mirror now. I'll believe it when I see it.

Or rather, I won't, because I love the RDM version beginning to end and have near-zero interest in seeing it redone. The idea of anybody else playing these characters makes me recoil.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'd rather see it based on TOS, but hey, BSG is BSG.

Sadly, it looks like it's gonna be on a streaming service though.

Comment

Simple I feel old now. I wouldn't mind to see Tricia Helfer or Lucy Lawless again in the BSG universe but the whole show was nicely closed. We don't need a reboot. I can't believe they can't find any better scifi material... Like a Mass Effect or StarCraft series. I know HALO is coming. Or a new spin-off for Babylon 5, FarScape or guess what Stargate. But BSG reboot no. I know things happened again and again, but i doubt they have meant it for reboot.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/...ected-in-2020/

"BSG fans, this will NOT be a remake of the amazing series @RonDMoore launched because… why mess with perfection? Instead, we’ll explore a new story within the mythology while staying true to the spirit of Battlestar. So say we all!
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Another streaming service in the US, splintering the market even further, and another pirate bay visit for me...

Yes, piracy, more or less was a thing of the passed with the coming of 1 streaming service offering most TV-shows the day after (STiscovery) or a week after (The Flash, Arrow, Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow), but I guess that's a fool's hope...
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              Simple I feel old now. I wouldn't mind to see Tricia Helfer or Lucy Lawless again in the BSG universe but the whole show was nicely closed. We don't need a reboot. I can't believe they can't find any better scifi material... Like a Mass Effect or StarCraft series. I know HALO is coming. Or a new spin-off for Babylon 5, FarScape or guess what Stargate. But BSG reboot no. I know things happened again and again, but i doubt they have meant it for reboot.
              TOS was not the exact same show. Different or modified theolgy, cultural myths, Cylons were different, and there was another whole aspect that was ignored in NuBSG, Alien races.

Specifically, the "Beings of Light" or Seraphs from TOS.

Another avenue could be to take up "Galactica 1980", take a truck full of drugs to try to forget the rest of that series and pick up after the first 3 episodes, which wasn't a bad time travel story at its core.

Comment

"BSG fans, this will NOT be a remake of the amazing series @RonDMoore launched because… why mess with perfection? Instead, we’ll explore a new story within the mythology while staying true to the spirit of Battlestar. So say we all!
                that a reboot of Battlestar Galactica will headline its service, named “Peacock,” launching in April 2020.
                If that's gonna be made in 6 months, I wonder how crappy it will be?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Another streaming service in the US, splintering the market even further, and another pirate bay visit for me...

Yes, piracy, more or less was a thing of the passed with the coming of 1 streaming service offering most TV-shows the day after (STiscovery) or a week after (The Flash, Arrow, Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow), but I guess that's a fool's hope...
                  Only if people buy it. If consumers decide they don't like this business model and don't buy into it, they will offer shows under another model, hopefully services such as Netflix, Amazon, etc.

But I will concede that consumers aren't that bright.

Comment

It shouldn't be a reboot.... I really hope that the network just used that word incorrectly... I REALLY hope so..
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      Only if people buy it. If consumers decide they don't like this business model and don't buy into it, they will offer shows under another model, hopefully services such as Netflix, Amazon, etc.

But I will concede that consumers aren't that bright.
                      Relatively speaking, the market will not be global since most of those services aren't globally available.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yeah, from the 'creator' of this new version.

That statement is about as clear as mud. What the heck does 'not remaking the 2003 series' but "within the mythology" mean? The overall mythology of the universe, whether the original series or the RDM series, is the exact same thing -- robot Cylons attack and annihilate humanity, ragtag fleet commanded by Adama is pursued by the Cylons as it flees into the unknown. It's the same concept, just executed differently.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well this looks like a Blood&Chrome attempt 2.

Idk why it would go through this time, but if it does, bet it's going to be the first cylon war. There's no other choices really.

I'm actually looking forward to this, cautiously!
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Yeah, from the 'creator' of this new version.

That statement is about as clear as mud. What the heck does 'not remaking the 2003 series' but "within the mythology" mean? The overall mythology of the universe, whether the original series or the RDM series, is the exact same thing -- robot Cylons attack and annihilate humanity, ragtag fleet commanded by Adama is pursued by the Cylons as it flees into the unknown. It's the same concept, just executed differently.
                            No, they are not the same.

In TOS, the Cylons were a pure robotic race, with the possible exception of Imperious Leader their origins being a reptilian race who created them and were eventually overthrown by their creations, as opposed to NuBSG, where the origins were Human.

There were differences in the religion of the two shows as well; TOS was heavily drawn from Glen Larson's own religion, Mormoniam, where NuBSG had some elements carried over but was not the same at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              No, they are not the same.

In TOS, the Cylons were a pure robotic race, with the possible exception of Imperious Leader their origins being a reptilian race who created them and were eventually overthrown by their creations, as opposed to NuBSG, where the origins were Human.

There were differences in the religion of the two shows as well; TOS was heavily drawn from Glen Larson's own religion, Mormoniam, where NuBSG had some elements carried over but was not the same at all.
                              I said “overall mythology,” not “detailed minutiae.”

Comment

Seems to me it's really just a communication mistake. Hoping it is because a part from the Finale I believe 2003 BSG was one of the best series Sci-fi has ever seen.
                                Spoiler:
                                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Working...
                                X