Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to give kudos to apple for getting on board the legal video dl scene and offering TV shows for such a great price. But are the BSG dls from apple the same quality as the dls one can get illegally online? I was under the impression that the apple dls look great on that little ipod screen but get much worse when you play them on a full monitor.

Comment

I think they are only for the iPods. I would buy an episode to actually tell ya, but i'd rather buy the season dvd.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
        I have to give kudos to apple for getting on board the legal video dl scene and offering TV shows for such a great price. But are the BSG dls from apple the same quality as the dls one can get illegally online? I was under the impression that the apple dls look great on that little ipod screen but get much worse when you play them on a full monitor.
        I believe they are about half as good quality as a 'normal' illegal episode. Still very watchable if you play it back through a non-HD TV (due to the poorer resolution) but you'd definitely notice the quality loss on a normal computer monitor or a HDTV.

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
        I think they are only for the iPods. I would buy an episode to actually tell ya, but i'd rather buy the season dvd.
        Nah, all you need is the iTunes/Quicktime bundle to watch it on your computer - don't need an iPod at all. But like I said before, you'll probably want to hook it up to a regular TV.

Comment

Were these sidearms specifically designed for BSG? My brother pointed out to me that in X2 some of Stryker's soldiers carried something similiar.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
            Were these sidearms specifically designed for BSG? My brother pointed out to me that in X2 some of Stryker's soldiers carried something similiar.
            Believe the pistol, as seen in the mini-series and mostly used by Helo and Boomer on Caprica, was the only firearm that was "Galactized". The rest (handguns and rifles) are pretty much off-the-shelf, but relatively obscure firearms.

Starbuck in "Resistence" used a pair of Skorpion vz 61 or Tec-22. Ruger MP9 was used on Caprica by many resistence fighters.

Posted this before but one can visit "Hell in a Handbasket" and see what guns they have ID'ed so far:
            http://www.hellinahandbasket.net/archives/002014.html
            http://www.hellinahandbasket.net/archives/002261.html
            http://www.hellinahandbasket.net/archives/002276.html
            http://www.hellinahandbasket.net/archives/002298.html

Somebody even spotted a classic Luger in Adama's quarters/display case. Personally, it doesn't bother me that the guns they are using haven't been modified or "Galactized". I rather have them spend their budget where it counts than to try to make props look exotic or futuristic.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

From PR Newswire:

AFI AWARDS 2005 Official Selections Announced

Sixth Annual AFI Almanac Names 10 Most Outstanding Motion Pictures and TV Programs of the Year

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- The American Film Institute (AFI) today announced the official selections of AFI AWARDS 2005, AFI's almanac which records the year's most outstanding achievements in film and television, as well as significant moments in the world of the moving image.

AFI AWARDS is the only form of national recognition that honors the film and television creative ensemble as a whole-those people in front of and behind the camera-acknowledging the collaborative nature of film and television.

Unlike any other film or television award currently given, the AFI AWARDS 2005 selections were made through AFI's unique 13-person jury process in which scholars, artists, critics and AFI trustees discuss, debate and determine the most outstanding achievements of the year, as well as provide a detailed rationale for each selection. Two AFI juries-one for motion pictures and one for television-convened in Los Angeles for two days of deliberation. The jurors have remained confidential until today. (Complete list is below.)

AFI will honor the creative ensembles for each of the honorees at a luncheon on Friday, January 13, 2006, at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles, California. The jury rationales for each selection will be revealed at this event.

"AFI is proud to honor these 20 collaborative teams. As the institute recognizes and celebrates excellence across the century, these honorees will be part of the record that documents America's enduring cultural legacy," commented Jean Picker Firstenberg, AFI's Director and CEO.

The honorees are listed below in alphabetical order:

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR -- OFFICIAL SELECTIONS

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
              CAPOTE
              CRASH
              THE 40 YEAR-OLD VIRGIN
              GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
              A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
              KING KONG
              MUNICH
              THE SQUID AND THE WHALE
              SYRIANA

AFI TV PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR -- OFFICIAL SELECTIONS

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
              DEADWOOD
              GREY'S ANATOMY
              HOUSE
              LOST
              RESCUE ME
              SLEEPER CELL
              SOMETIMES IN APRIL
              VERONICA MARS

Comment

Also the episodes arent available on the Australia iTunes store.

Comment

From Seattle PI:

Vancouver: A sci-fi film fan's paradise

British Columbia is a 'super, natural' set

By CANDACE HECKMAN AND ATHIMA CHANSANCHAI
                  SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTERS
                  Monday, December 12, 2005

Click on the link to read the entire article

SIMON FRASER UNIVERSITY (Caprica City) -- One day, this place gets bombarded by megalomaniacal aliens. Nuked by the Cylons the next.

Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully discuss the latest alien abductions, while the Governator drives up and down campus staircases, crashing in the mall.

Such terror, however, does little to faze the students at this academic sanctuary nestled in the forest atop Burnaby Mountain.

So many productions are being filmed around Vancouver all year long that we, the P-I-parazzi, need only pay attention to the signs: white trailer trucks parked along streets, lots of similar old cars or futuristic new ones parked in one place. There are obvious signs of American conquest, such as the Stars and Stripes hanging from buildings.

Production companies also post cryptic signs with neon orange or pink arrows pointing their cast and crew to a location. Lately, because fans have wised up to this system, some arrows merely point to a pickup place from which vans take workers to the shoot.

Driving away from our hotel, we noticed an orange arrow marked "Quixote."

We jumped to follow it around a corner. Then, we spotted another, this one marked "DMA."

Candace studied the production list, but couldn't figure out what the signs were about. After driving in downtown circles, we saw no more arrows and abandoned our short-lived and futile quest.

It was time to live one of our sci-fi fantasies -- to visit Caprica City, the devastated colonial capital in the new "Battlestar Galactica." Walking into the Convocation Mall at Simon Fraser University gave us an otherworldy sense of déjà vu.

Sandau ho-hums about film productions on campus, not being a sci-fi or comic book fan, although she and her boyfriend watched in 2001 when the crew of "Stargate SG-1" filmed the episode "Pretense," about the destruction of an advanced race of humans called the Tollan. Sandau's friendship with Christopher Sayour, the stunt double for Tom Welling (Clark Kent), forces her to watch "Smallville."

LOCATIONS, LOCATIONS, LOCATIONS

Gastown -- "I, Robot," "Legends of the Fall," "Look Who's Talking," "Rumble in the Bronx," "Intersection"

Yaletown -- stands in a lot for New York City

Plaza of Nations, 750 Pacific Blvd. S. -- science museum in "X2: X-Men United"; 2010 Stargate port in "Stargate SG-1"

Vancouver Public Library, 350 W. Georgia St. -- the cloning company building in "The Sixth Day"; a Caprica City building in "Battlestar Galactica"

Robson Square, 800 Robson St. -- often stands for Washington, D.C., in "Stargate SG-1," "The X-Files" and "The Commish"

Vancouver Art Gallery, 750 Hornby St. -- "The Accused"

Stanley Park -- "Happy Gilmore," "Jumanji"

Hatley Castle at Royal Roads University, 2005 Sooke Road, Victoria -- the Luthor Mansion in "Smallville"; Professor Xavier's School in "X2: X-Men United"

Cloverdale -- a small town 20 miles southeast of downtown Vancouver that stands in as Smallville in the show of the same name. The Talon coffee shop in the television show is actually the Clova Cinema

Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby -- Planet Tollana in "Stargate SG-1"; the Caprica City market and museum in "Battlestar Galactica"; FBI headquarters in "The X-Files"

Vancouver Film Studios, 3500 Cornett Road -- where "Battlestar Galactica" and other major films are shot. It's not open to the public, but you can sometimes see activity around the lot, plus the Roots factory outlet is next door on the corner of Boundary Road and Grandview Highway

The Bridge Studios, 2400 Boundary Road -- across Boundary Road from Vancouver Film Studios, it's where "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Dead Like Me" are filmed along with other productions. Not open to the public

Lions Gate Studios, 555 Brooksbank Ave. -- where "Catwoman," "Elektra" and "Scary Movie 3" were filmed. It's a large studio with constant production, but it's not open to the public

Comment

neither in the european store

but anyway, i ordered my miniseries & season 1 dvds yesterday, the season 2 dvd(s) will follow.

regarding the topic: the people who sell these dvds (i ordered the uk version) have gotten my money only because i was able to see the episodes. hadn't it been for p2p filesharing, i wouldn't have seen them until they were aired in german free tv (which hasn't happened, and even then it would have had ugly german synchronization).

the above mentioned article (the pdf) states an interesting aspect regarding new distribution models. it is a good read.

Comment

they just started to air the mini in my country so season 2 will take some time humpf.... so i just ordered my set at www.playusa.com . it includes shipping

Comment

Originally posted by scifi maniac
                        they just started to air the mini in my country so season 2 will take some time humpf.... so i just ordered my set at www.playusa.com . it includes shipping
                        I've been trying to figure out which country you're in. I know a little about languages but I can't figure out what language "humpf...." belongs to.
                        Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

Yes, I saw this on Aintitcoolnews about 30 seconds ago. Awesome. Good list, too. I watch 60% of it.
                          Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

$2 USD is too much for an online release in poor quality. $1 is a much better number, IF the quality is atleast the same as the 350MB XviDs.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                              $2 USD is too much for an online release in poor quality. $1 is a much better number, IF the quality is atleast the same as the 350MB XviDs.
                              I imagine the quality will change as the iPods get higher res screens, but Apple will likely hold to the same price.

I know what you mean, though, I'll hold out for DVDs until the quality improves.

Comment

From The Arlington Advocate:

Jeffrey Carver's new book "Battlestar Galactica"

Battlestar Galactica

By Helene Newberg/ Correspondent
                                Thursday, December 15, 2005

Click on the link to read the entire article.

Although the miniseries on which Jeffrey Carver's new book "Battlestar Galactica" is based came out in 2003, Carver said he'd never written a book so fast in his life.

While finishing the first draft of "Sunborn," the long-awaited fourth volume in his series "The Chaos Chronicles," Carver received a call last March from his editor.

"I figured he wanted to know how the book was coming - and I was pleased to be able to tell him, 'I just finished the first draft. Today, in fact,'" he recalled.

Instead, Carver was asked if he could write a novel, based on a DVD of the miniseries, by mid-June.

"At that point, I coughed because I'm a notoriously slow writer. But this was different, because it was someone else's story, and I would be turning it into a novel, not creating something out of whole cloth," he said.

Even having both the plot lines and dialog from the final video project, Carver was left with plenty of holes to fill in. The process of translating a teleplay into a final product often results in lots of footage, and background information, left on the cutting room floor. The script "is constantly being changed at the studio while the thing is being filmed. The script for this miniseries and the final product onscreen were very, very different from each other. A lot was cut, a lot was moved around with the cutting from location to location. It was hard just to find where I was in the script as I was watching each scene," he said.

"Battlestar Galactica" is fast-moving and suspenseful. The miniseries spawned a series now in its second year, which Carver, who doesn't subscribe to the SciFi Channel, hasn't seen. Also, the publisher has lined up writers for future titles in the series. Notably, Craig Shaw Gardner, another Arlington writer, has been tapped for the second book in the series.

"I've read and loved science fiction all my life. It's a literature of tremendous imagination, and it helps us, as readers, to prepare mentally for changes we all face in the future. It's also a wonderful way to explore the nature of what it is to be human - by exposing us to the alien, and by putting human characters into new and unexpected situations. When I began writing, I never seriously considered writing anything else," said Carver.

Carver will be appearing at Boskone, an annual Boston-area convention sponsored by the New England Science Fiction Association, in February. His Web site is starrigger.net.

Comment

Working...
                                X