From Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X/102-1657891-
    7968168?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

or

http://tinyurl.com/c5lwz

Approaching the Possible : The World of Stargate SG-1
    by Jo Storm

List Price: $19.95
    Price: $12.97 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.
    You Save: $6.98 (35%)

Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Edition: Paperback

Editorial Reviews

Book Description

Serving as a comprehensive introduction for those who are just
    starting to watch, while also providing long-time viewers with an
    episode-by-episode guide to the entire eight seasons, this book is a
    must-have addition to any Stargate SG-1 fan's library. Interesting
    facts for each show and numerous sidebars uncover not only the
    science and special effects behind the multi-season storylines, but
    also offer insight into the mythology of ancient Egypt. With
    exclusive interviews with cast members such as Teryl Rothery, Alex
    Zahara, and Christopher Judge, as well as writer Joseph Mallozzi and
    special effects supervisor James Tichenor, engage the Stargate
    universe from multiple angles.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Ahem...I assisted Jo with some research for this book (just a little
    bit), and I am listed as a contributor! Woo-hoo! And that is the tooting of my horn for the day...

Also, our GateWorld's very own Darren assisted Jo with research, and there is a very nice section on GateWorld within the book.

LOVELY photos of the cast, especially the section of color photos in the middle of the book.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

yeah, i was in it too.

it was really cool, to see my words in print

all fun aside, it is a good book. an episode guide that delves into different aspects of the episodes
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      yeah, i was in it too.

it was really cool, to see my words in print

all fun aside, it is a good book. an episode guide that delves into different aspects of the episodes
      Slaps forehead!

Yikes, my apologies Denise, I meant to include you as a source as well in my comments.

Another senior moment.

I thought the episode commentaries were well balanced too. No one character/actor is elevated above the other -- SG-1 is a TEAM, and the episode commentaries reflect that not only are the characters a TEAM, but the actors portraying them are a TEAM too.

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

You know what sucks? I was supposed to receive a copy of that book from GW. They were running some giveaway a while back. I was one of the winners, but never received it.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
          You know what sucks? I was supposed to receive a copy of that book from GW. They were running some giveaway a while back. I was one of the winners, but never received it.
          Well...have you written to ask where your book is?

GateWorld may be waiting to hear from you...(they have an incomplete mailing address, an incorrect e-mail address...)

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

om or e-mail darren and remind him
            he may be waiting to get the books from the publisher. i know, due to an error at the publisher, i didn't get my trib copy for over a month, and then it was only after someone prodded them
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I loved the book as well - I really enjoyed how the various threads were pulled together, character and plot and production, and thought that it was particularly well balanced - team dynamics weren't just put aside in favour of one character, as Morjana said, but were an integral part of the composition and content of the book. Also loved the episode quotes, and the additional info on the mythologies and science behind the show - and the pics are awesome.

I've read a couple of other SG-1 books, but they either inane or uninteresting - this one really felt like it was worked on, researched, and that it was based on a genuine love for the show and the people on and behind it.

Danaia

Comment

Originally posted by Danaia
                I loved the book as well - I really enjoyed how the various threads were pulled together, character and plot and production, and thought that it was particularly well balanced - team dynamics weren't just put aside in favour of one character, as Morjana said, but were an integral part of the composition and content of the book. Also loved the episode quotes, and the additional info on the mythologies and science behind the show - and the pics are awesome.

I've read a couple of other SG-1 books, but they either inane or uninteresting - this one really felt like it was worked on, researched, and that it was based on a genuine love for the show and the people on and behind it.

Danaia
                I love the book too, and agree with your comments. It's a nice mixture of everything!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  om or e-mail darren and remind him
                  he may be waiting to get the books from the publisher. i know, due to an error at the publisher, i didn't get my trib copy for over a month, and then it was only after someone prodded them
                  I did just that, and boy did he respond quickly. It was definitely appreciated. I should be getting it soon hopefully. I know I can't wait for that mail-day.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

When I randomly browsed a famous online book shop, I came across this book, written by Jo Storm in 2005.

Not long happened between that moment and the moment I clicked on "Confirm order" !

It's now in my hands. Although I don't get any commission for saying this, I say it's required for people who love Stargate!
                    There is even a chapter about Gateworld! featuring an interview of Darren.

Other than that, it tells the story of how the series came to life, and is a detailed episode guide for season 1 to 8.

Each episode is described with its number, title, original airdate, written by, directed by, short synopsis. (but doesn't include a guest star list. It's not intended to be encyclopedic, production wise).

Then come a longer overview. It's not a neutral simple summary of the action, it's a deeper analysis; it offers perspectives about the meaning & symbolism of what happens in the episode. It's not so much about the production anecdotes (see Thomasina Gibson's illustrated companion series for that). "Approaching the Possible" deals more with the myths used in the show.

The episode analysis is followed by shorter paragraphs entitled "Gods & Scientists" (about the historical or scientific background of the episode), "Interesting fact" (provides some production trivia), "Why we're space monkeys" (how this episode stands out compared to other sci-fi material); "Parlez-vous Gate?" (gives a memorable quote).

There are some black & white pictures throughout the pages, and a center piece with colour photographs of the actors, like promo shots, out of the context of Stargate.. which could be quite embarrasing if you read it in a public place, because when you open the book randomly, it tends to open itself in the middle, just where the glossy colour pages finishes, showing a photo of Amanda Tapping in bed with light clothing...

Well, I would recomend this book, especially for the myth info and the clever analysis. It is a good complement on other companion books & the Visual Guide. (it reminds me of The Unofficial "X-files" Companion by N.E. Genge 10 years ago).
                    It lacks guiding of season 9 & 10, but if you care for my opinion, it doesn't really hurt the book...

Comment

I won this book from GW a while back. Definitely worth picking up and reading IMO. It gives a lot of nice insight into the first 8 seasons.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I have this book too, and thoroughly enjoy it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X