Second Lieutenant Steven_the_Atlantean's Avatar

Default The Ancients Submerging atlantis

You no how the ancients submerged Atlantis, does the shield protect its top section only or the bottom because if they submerged the city would water go in from the sides I mean what stops the water from rising as the city goes down?
    Last edited by Steven_the_Atlantean; March 14th, 2006 at 08:54 PM. Reason: The Ancients Submerging atlantis

Default Re: Atlantis slumbering in the bottom of the ocean

I would say the shield would have lasted for about another 10 years or so. It probably depends on the stress on the shield.

Brigadier General FallenAngelII's Avatar

Rodney said for a couple of more years/hundred more years. Can't remember for sure. But it doesn't matter, now does it? If the original Weir hadn't wandered to Atlantis with her (now dead) expedition, the city would've just lain there 'til the ocean came crashing down on it.

Default Re: The Ancients Submerging atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_the_Atlantean
    You no how the ancients submerged Atlantis, does the shield protect its top section only or the bottom because if they submerged the city would water go in from the sides I mean what stops the water from rising as the city goes down?
    I think the underneath of Atlantis must be sealed and the shield must go around the whole city because its a space ship and had to fly in space with atmosphere in there for the ancients.
    http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/p...isplanetof.jpg
    Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Post Re: Atlantis slumbering in the bottom of the ocean

correct me if i was wrong. but wouldnt the city being under water, drain the zpm's power at a very rapid rate. because it is under constant stress from the water againat the shield???

ZPM's are way better than alkaline batteries so the Ancients obviously knew what they were doing.
    Lord Zedd

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Atlantis slumbering in the bottom of the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Maybourne
    correct me if i was wrong. but wouldnt the city being under water, drain the zpm's power at a very rapid rate. because it is under constant stress from the water againat the shield???
    Yes, but because the city didn't need to put in power to anything else (other than Elizabeth's stasis chamber, and I think that would only qualify as a little blip on the ZPM energy monitor), it could last a good long while
    Spoiler:
    If the reason for this question is what was happening to the Puddle Jumper shield in Grace Under Pressure, you have to remember that the Puddle Jumper's energy source is probably not the same as that of a ZPM. Its power would drain more rapidly than 3 ZPM's worth.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel's_twin
    Yes, but because the city didn't need to put in power to anything else (other than Elizabeth's stasis chamber, and I think that would only qualify as a little blip on the ZPM energy monitor), it could last a good long while
    Spoiler:
    If the reason for this question is what was happening to the Puddle Jumper shield in Grace Under Pressure, you have to remember that the Puddle Jumper's energy source is probably not the same as that of a ZPM. Its power would drain more rapidly than 3 ZPM's worth.
    Spoiler:

Also, the Puddle Jumper was never designed to have a shield in the first place. They were cross-wiring a Stealth Mode Generator to approximate a shield generator. That also probably limited the lifetime severely.

The bottom of the city is probably just sealed shut from any water being able to come thru.

I believe that the shield goes around the entire city, but we only see the top portion since its on the surface of the ocean.

About the ZPM, when the ancients left the city, there were 3 fully powered ZPM's, and since they were running in parallel with each other, it provided more amperage to handle the heavy load, and as long as the city laid dorment and not under stress from attack or something else being turned on, it could stay submerged for a very long time.

Wraith Re: Atlantis slumbering in the bottom of the ocean

I believe the shield surrounds just the top because the bottem part of atlantis might be water or air tight.but that also cant be true because in space the enemy could just attack the bottem part of atlantis and blow them up.

heres a question...because elizibeth went back in time and told the ancients that the 3 ZPM's would be empty when her expidition team comes...how come the ancients didnt make any spare ZPM's and leave them there to be placed into Atlantis so they can power the shield?

To be honest i would kinda have to agree with that something i wondered why there was no more ZPM's.

But they did leave in a hurry and well if you will would need all the power they could get to wereever they may of left to and no reside if they do so reside anywere.

But that is just my opinion on that though

Second Lieutenant Steven_the_Atlantean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by llama
    heres a question...because elizibeth went back in time and told the ancients that the 3 ZPM's would be empty when her expidition team comes...how come the ancients didnt make any spare ZPM's and leave them there to be placed into Atlantis so they can power the shield?
    Because you saw the councils of Atlantis reaction in ďBefore I SleepĒ, They were shocked not that Atlantis would have been destroyed but in changing the future, I guess they didnít leave any Zedpms behind as itís not safe to go off world as if the wraith are everywhere waiting on the other side for them! Think about it this way when your angry you donít think well when you take action thatís it so when they began to evacuate thereís no time for them to make it because the longer they stay more power of the Zedpm losses. But that tells us one thing about Atlantis tho, that it doesnít contain a Zero Point Module Factory because in Rising Part 2, The city was still powered up and Mackay searched it, there was no results and IF they found one they could of easy shut down systems and interface it with the factory for a limited of time while a zedpm is being made, the shields collapse but Atlantis will have a functioning Zedpm is on their hand and with that they would of made more but it didnít happen because their wasnít any!