Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Angry Re: Planet Sized Stargate?(Spoilers)

Why bother putting up a spoiler warning if YOU'RE GOING TO PUT THE SPOILER IN THE TITLE?!!! Thanks a lot!

Default Re: New Type of Stargate?(Spoilers)

Ok so I just read part one of the interview with Brad Wright and Robert Cooper....and they said that the Ori are the original Ancients. The Ori ARE Ancients. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. They think it's wrong NOT to interfere. Unlike "our" Ancients...So I'm thinking that since the Ori are the original Ancients, that the Ori Galaxy is probably where the Ancients....all Ancients.....came from. So if we assume that the Ancients are the Gatebuilders, then now I'm thinking that these gate-like devices ARE in fact REALLY HUGE Stargates! I mean, "our" Ancients made these small gates....it's plausible to think now that the "Original" Ancients can make MUCH BIGGER gates. I mean, I'm still positive that they couldn't dial out to a smaller Stargate....but I think now that in the Ori Galaxy those HUGE gates might be the norm. Cause they've had all this time to perfect the art of making gates, because even though they're ascended they don't just sit there and do nothing. This is insane, I'm still reeling. So my guess is that "our" Ancients were a faction of the Original Ancients that broke off and left their Galaxy and came here. Probably because of their differnce in opinion about interfering/not interfering. There's so much more I wanna say but can't think of, and also not wanting to get TOO far off-topic. Big....Honkin'......STARGATES! WOW.

I like the idea of making bigger gates. That gives the show the ability to open up more. If Earth were somehow to get one of these gates, entire starships can be transports all of the galaxy.

Heres a thought, do these new massive gates dial like regular gates? If they do, each chevron would be huge, maybe the size of Europe any ideas?

Default Re: Planet Sized Stargate?(Spoilers)

I say it should be a wormhole for massive fleet transportations.

But we do not know if the Ori have ships or if they need them or not.

I don't like the idea of the Ori being the original ancients I liked them being a seperate race.

Another thing is maybe that article was just an exxageration. Maybe it's a huge honkin' Stargate, that most average ships, (Prometheus, Daedulus, Hatak, Asgard, etc.), could go through. But not actually the size of a planet.

Captain

we dont even know where the ori galaxy is..
    for all we know it could be on the other end of the universe.. maybe they use that bigass stargate to travel very far.

Quote Originally Posted by kirmit
    I don't like the idea of the Ori being the original ancients I liked them being a seperate race.
    I agree. Making them yet another faction of Ancients kinda sucks some of the depth away from the Stargate universe. Instead of a few uber-advanced races hanging around in places, they just have the Ancients who seemed to have done everything back in the day. Sometimes I think the Ori being ascended furlings would be a better idea.

How confirmed is this "big stargate" rumor? Honestly, it seems kinda cheap to me as well, but they could pull it off without seeming like a B5 jumpgate ripoff. Otherwise, they might as well send out the newly built Ancient Tech enhanced BC-303 Excalibur (the sword's just an artsy power source) to search the galaxy for a cure to the Drah... Ori plague.
    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

What if this could be the purpose of the 9th chevron? Something to do with giant gates. P.S. People stop saying "Big Honkin' Magnets." It's stupid and old. Geesh it gets annoying when I see that.
    http://carnage.bungie.org/rogerwilco...adnaught_A.jpg
    I like donuts and good rep . P.S. If you send me good rep, I send it back . If you send me Donuts...I'll...umm...*Silence*

I like the big stargate, and I like the fact that they are the original "Ancients." Remember, we are not the first evolution of humans. And, never was it stated that the "Ancients" that we know and love are the "first ones" either. These people are even more ancient than our "Ancients." This makes a lot of sense, if we are reading into it correctly. That would explain why our "Ancients" will not interfere. Our "Ancients" left their own galaxy to escape their "Ancients" and vowed never to become like them.

Think of it like the settlers of North America vowing never to live in monarchy (except for Canadians, who are just in denial...kidding). Please don't turn this into a political debate, just an example.

Ever thought that the Ori split from the ancients because they craved power.
    I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

I don't think it worked like that, my view is our ancients left their home galaxy to go out there and explore whilst the rest stayed behide and sumhow became corrupt.

I find it hard to belive that someone could build a stargate the size of a planet, other than say one the size of Pluto.

But just for arguments sake lets say that this is true. Say they have a gate with 1,000 mile diameter. The writers have thought this through im sure. It would be useless unles the gates scaled things. Say a ship goes through this large gate and is 10% the size of the gate. When it comes out to a normal gate, i would immagine it would be 10% the size of normal gate. So the Ori launch a fleet at any target, and the ships are miniturized.

So look for swarms of miniture ori ships to be flying around the SGC this year.

I don't think it is an actual gate, it's probly like opening a hyperspace window except it's instantaneous travel, but i doubt it's an actual gate

I think the planet sized gates are the first stargates the ancients built.

If you look at the real science behind building a wormhole, you're gonna need a couple of rings the size of a planet just to send something as small as a ship through it.

The progression of ancient technology eventually allowed them to integrate teleportation and their wormholes into the Stargate technology we know and love. The newer gates sends only a persons information through, instead of sending a whole person. That means you can use a much smaller wormhole, with less energy required to power it. In other words, you no longer need planet sized gates, only rings big enough for people/vehicles.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Real stargate or not, the idea is intriguing. One thing's for sure, it should be cool to see how tptb pull it off.

They probally just have a wormhole generator that can create a super huge wormhole. Since they called it a stargate, it probally just uses the same dialing technique as the stargate.

Stargate: Horizon Concept Artist TechnoWraith's Avatar

I've always liked big stargates, but a planet-sized stargate? How big is the DHD? Let me guess, you need a spaceship just to dial the DHD, right? (And you better hope you got a great pilot, too!)

On another note, define planet-sized. Their planets could be much smaller then ours. (Ok - possibly the stupidest idea in the entire thread, but what the heck. I thought i would throw that one out anyway). "Planet-sized" is a relative term if you ask me. Earth is planet sized. So is Jupiter! And 1,500 earths fit inside Jupiter!

Just speculating: What if they send people from their galaxy to our galaxy to convert some people to worship the Ori then the Ori give the converts the technology to build a planet sized stargate in our galaxy thus you can open a stargate between the two galaxies assuming the Ori galaxy also has a planet sized stargate. The new stargate would have the original 7 chevrons plus the extra chevron for the galaxy. Depending on how far away the Ori galaxy is they might use extra chevrons to triangulate.

But than again I could be totally wrong. But it would be kinda cool.