No announcement yet.

The Other Guys (608)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fun episode where the geek and the nerd save the day.

Comment

I've never liked Felger because I can't stand humiliation based humor.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I don't like Felger, but I do like Coombs because he reluctantly went along, and truly saved SG1. Felger was annoying.

Comment

having seen this for the first time, and with a 16 year perspective, I'm not too fond of it. It reminds me of about 10,000 forties through sixties movies about two bumblers who mix with serious types to save the day, from a Bob Hope, Danny Kaye, Abbott and Costello type with B heroes and villains. It seemed, as O'Neill would say, very cliched.
          Speaking as a writer, to make something part of a dream is a very weak plot device, but it didn't seem to bother anyone on this thread.
          It did have a lot of good lines, and Richard Dean Anderson plays a great annoyed straight man. Good one-liners, although not caring for Star Trek, I'm kind of lost on all the in-jokes.

And why is it those Mother ships never have ANYONE in the corridors??

A thought: it seems the most dangerous job in the universe is that of a To'kra or Ja'ffa warrior. They're always getting taken out.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post

And why is it those Mother ships never have ANYONE in the corridors??

Mother ships also have lots of hidey places.

Comment

well the trouble is they have lots of ships often and spread their people thin, throw in thousands of years of constant power struggles and they are always short of jaffa, servant goulds, and materials like naquadah,

they seem to have the same issue of the wraithe, all thier jaffa are exhausted early on in their conquests due to being 20 plus years to grow and train or if you send them too soon they tend to die, their wars and battles and skirmishes constantly cost them resources they dont have to spare, instead of buying expensive parties and stuff, they are constantly buying expensive things to be blown or to blow up other stuff from someone else... those battles are costing them their naquadah resources as well... so the gould are all sort of ..... well focused more on just relaxing and making sure no one has more then anyone else, thats why they dont exactly want to capture earth, because so many people would upset their thousands of years of balance of power which is as close to a truce or peace as they know how to live with etc

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                ...a great annoyed straight man...
                I'm rather intrigued what your definition of "a great annoyed gay man" is now.

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                Mother ships also have lots of hidey places.
                Hide-and-seek has been made illegal to play on the motherships. They kept loosing Jaffa.

An attempt at making a mission-gone-awry episode funny. It works on certain levels. I giggled once and I'm rating an excellent because it's quite entertaining. The other guys is just Felger getting the other two into trouble, although Coombs takes the brunt of it.

Little going on but plenty of action to be had. Lots of Jaffa biting the dust again, or tasting pond-water. Funny though how fast Teal'c was all dried up after having been completely submerged. Or how the weather on the planet where Felger and his compatriots are investigating the ring transporter has sunshine in on place, and about a mile away there's a heavy cloud blocking the sun and it looks several degrees colder as opposed to warm and sunny. They weren't that far from the gate either cause Felger and his buddies had plenty time to run back to their research side and ring into the ship.

How would you rate SG-1's "The Other Guys?"

Excellent
                Good
                Fair
                Poor
                Terrible
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I'm rather intrigued what your definition of "a great annoyed gay man" is now.
                  Although I'm pretty sure you're aware he meant straight man in the comedic sense, the one who sets up the jokes but doesn't get to say the punch lines.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                    Although I'm pretty sure you're aware he meant straight man in the comedic sense, the one who sets up the jokes but doesn't get to say the punch lines.
                    Oh... ...I had no idea, but now I still want to know.

I shall blame it on being a non-native speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Oh... ...I had no idea, but now I still want to know.

I shall blame it on being a non-native speaker.
                      A very resonable excuse.

Comment

Is this that episode that you watched, FH? I think I will start watching with you guys now.

Comment

I tend to forget FH is not a native speaker, even though I know she lives in some small country in Europe and not in a large country in North America.

I also tend to forget I'm a lot older than she is, so some of the cultural references I make are obscure due to age, not language barriers.

In any case, a good example of a straight man is George Burns when working with his wife, Gracie Allen: Gracie tells a story.

Seaboe

Comment

I love love love George and Gracie!

Comment

@Beth -- next episode I should watch is Allegiance. Was planning on doing that yesterday, but got distracted by a solitaire game.

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                              I tend to forget FH is not a native speaker, even though I know she lives in some small country in Europe and not in a large country in North America.

I also tend to forget I'm a lot older than she is, so some of the cultural references I make are obscure due to age, not language barriers.

In any case, a good example of a straight man is George Burns when working with his wife, Gracie Allen: Gracie tells a story.
                              I think if you put your finger on Europe on any map, you got my wee country all covered, right underneath your fingernail.

And I shall check that out tonight... (I'm at work now)

Comment

Another reason for "straight man" becoming an obscure reference is the dearth of stand-up comedy teams. Most stand-up comics work alone. In teams, there was usually one man who was the straight man and the other gave the punch lines.

Seaboe

Comment

Working...
                                X