No announcement yet.

Shadow Play (607)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I felt sad for the professor, and glad we got to see a bit more into Jonas but this was a very slow episode for me.
    sigpic

Comment

Doing a complete rewatch of SG-1. This one has never been a favorite or all that good even but wasn't quite as bad as I remembered it to be. Still a waste of an episode as far as Jonas is concerned. It should have focused more on him.

Anyway this was something random I happened to think about. Just how did SG-1 get back through the gate with the Naquadria that Dr. Kieran had secretly stashed? Did they just take it out of all those containers and put it in their pockets?

Plenty of hypocrisy to go around in this one as far as SG-1 goes as well as them stealing that Naquadria.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Yeah, stealing that naquadria was a bit much for me too. And I really felt sorry for the nutty professor.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree on the theft of naquadria, even though the last post was over a year ago, I'm the first post for this rewatch.

Anyways, couple of things I thought about. Why didn't they offer to trade cell phones, computers, internet, radar, none of them are inherently militaristic, I know they can be used to that means, but they are capable of so much more and aren't weapons like the surface-to-air missiles they wanted. Computers may aid them in their own development, and the internet and cell phones offer up faster communications.

Just a thought or two.
          Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

One word review for this one: meh.

To expand upon that: this is an episode filled with wonderful and interesting actors, who are given nothing wonderful or interesting to work with.

RATING: 5 out of 10
            Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

And I stuck a VHS into my Hall of Res machine....

1. So, we return to Kelowna and SG1 had every right not to give the government military tech given previous experience.

2. Having said that, they really walked into that trap when they suggested taking part in international negotiations...puhleese...

3. To counteract that ranter earlier...the resistance in this case was meant to be an international organisation trying to overthrow all three governments NOT the equivilent of Soviet-loyal communists in 1940s America(and given that the Ribbentrop pact didn't last very long...that wasn't a great comparision anyway). A better comparision would be an organisation looking to take down both the US and Soviet governments similtaneously circa 1947-8. Attempting to do a deal with the resistance was worth a go...they had naquadriah after all.

3. Interesting to give Jonas split loyalties...might have been slightly more interesting had the First Minister twisted his arm into something bigger but this was still a pretty solid JOnas ep.

4. Was certainly gutting for Jonas to see that Kieran had lost the plot, though more obvious second time round than first time round.

Solid enough ep.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Thought it was kind of boring episode.

Tomorrow, the yearly Comedy Episode.
                sigpic

Comment

On re-watching I did appreciate it more as the solid Jonas episode it is. I never really took much notice first time round how wonderfully Jonas found his place on SG-1 and was so useful in many ways with his observations.

Poor Jonas was really put on the spot in this episode. I loved the tension of his return to Kelowna and sitting with his own people at the negotiating table and not able to agree with the reasons they wanted military technology from Earth, even if it meant the death of his people in a horrible destructive war.

Certainly no surprise to see that the victims of the Naquadria bomb research continued to mount and Jonas' mentor was the latest victim.

It was great to see 'Al' again! Loved 'Quantum Leap'! Stargate certainly managed to get some memorable actors from other shows and movies I've liked over the years.

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                    It's mostly about Dean Stockwell's char, as he's one of my favourite actors.
                    Quantum Leap is an obvious reference, but I recommend Stephen King's film 'The Langoliers' to anyone. He's awesome in that.
                    Last edited by Jae'a; 11 January 2012, 09:38 AM. Reason: Frellin' blank posts
                    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                    >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                      My LiveJournal post
                      It's mostly about Dean Stockwell's char, as he's one of my favourite actors.
                      Quantum Leap is an obvious reference, but I recommend Stephen King's film 'The Langoliers' to anyone. He's awesome in that.
                      I have a question, that post was basically a summary of the episode. Was it supposed to be a review?
                      Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Originally posted by zainea13 View Post
                        I have a question, that post was basically a summary of the episode. Was it supposed to be a review?
                        Part review, part for my own reference, because I've forgotten a lot of the episodes
                        (Plus, I sometimes have trouble knowing what to say for some episodes.. I might change some entries at a later time... Meh, maybe I'm not up to doing these damn things, I don't know...)
                        "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                        "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                        "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                        "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                        >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I like this one because its primarily a Jonas episode and I love Jonas. He was welcome addition after Daniel left. A character I felt was getting stale. Anyway, this episode is nice because it explores more about Jonas and his people. The petty bickering of Kelowana and how Jonas feels brought perspective in how this character thinks and just truly the kind of screwed up world he lived in. Political tension is not new for SG1 but the personal investment of Jonas makes it interesting to see. I aslo enjoyed the mad ravings of Jonas old professor who was posioned with naquadria.. The first time I saw this episode I didn't fully realize he was hallucinating until the very end. My background in the real world deals with radiation and its not surprising that that radiation could lead to such serious neurological conditions. In fact I'm surprised it didn't give more serious physical problems
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Not to bad of an ep. Kept my interest at least.

Good to see more of Jonas and his world even under those circumstances.

Sad to see his professor lose it.
                            sigpic

Comment

I wish there would have been more Jonas in this episode.. It should have concentrated more on him than the professor IMO...

I quite strongly disagree with a view that there was anything related to nazis or Soviet union on the planet. There is no indication of that. I think if there was such a situation, Jonas would have brought it to SG-1's attention.. And like someone pointed put, the eesistant, that only existed in the professor's head, was supposed to be agains all three governments. Not that it matters, because it wasn't real..

What I found interesting was that after having met so many more advanced races who rrefused to share technology with earth, the SGC was now on the other side of the negotiations... I wonder if ot made them more unrstanding about this point of view...

All and all, not among my favourite episodes...

Comment

As many others said, negotiations are boring. And SG1 couldn't argue 'cos we have the same problems here on earth, there was no way around that.
                                And they just stole the naquadia in the end

Not amongst my favorites. Until this episode, season 6 have been great, but this is way under average. Not saying I didn't like it. But it was really close to boring ...
                                Last edited by Cluas; 28 January 2013, 09:59 AM. Reason: to add

Comment

Working...
                                X