• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadow Play (607)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON SIX
    EPISODE NUMBER - 607

Jonas' people ask Earth for military aide in an impending war with their rival nations, but his former mentor offers another solution: a resistance movement ready for a coup.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 11:24 PM.

Wasted Opportunity. This episode could have really been a great episode for Jonas, instead it was more about the Doctor and his illness. Too bad because I really like Jonas and wish they had done more to develop him.

As it stands this episode is at or near the bottom of my list for s6.
    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

I thought it was going to be about Jonas (well it kinda was), but it was about that ill dude who saw things I was interested in that one part where Jonas is saying he is now part of SG1 and stuff (i think thats this episode? yes?) Not my favorite S6 episode either.
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
        As it stands this episode is at or near the bottom of my list for s6.
        Mine too. Which is really infuriating, especially since I'm a Jonas fan! It was one of the few times (at that point) where I felt that I'd been cheated by TPTB. Sadly, it was a portent of things to come...

And ya know, it wouldn't have taken that much to turn this into a real Jonas ep. Some better dialogue, shift the emphasis in some scenes, maybe add a few scenes that show us just what it is Jonas has to miss about Kelowna. Because as it stands, I could never figure out what he liked about the place. The people are a bunch of cliched, greedy, paranoid, bureaucratic SOBs, we saw NOTHING of the planet itself other than the industrial sections and the government buildings- hardly beautiful, and if he had any family or friends at all, we never saw them, either. Or heard reasons why they weren't around.

Waste, waste, waste. *sigh*

Comment

Wasn't their main reason to returning there was because...? Trade, or was it because that crazy old man asked SG1 to? Hmm, i'm gonna have to watch that episode again.. Yah, i want to know if Jonas has family, or had some too. Although Jonas's planet is supposed to be 100 years behind Earth, to me it looks a little more advanced than that.
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I keep expecting the head guy (can't remember his title ) to say something like "your family has been asking about you" and Jonas to ask how they were and what they were doing.

It would have made for some great tension as it was I didn't feel like he had any reason to stay on Kelowna because I didn't feel like he had any ties there, which he must have or he wouldn't have gone back, right?
            ~BCM =)

Comment

I keep expecting the head guy (can't remember his title ) to say something like "your family has been asking about you" and Jonas to ask how they were and what they were doing.
              I'd see it in reverse. Jonas asks, "Have you spoken with my father?" and the Honcho guy (I can't remember either) says something like, "Your family believes you are dead, killed by Dr. Jackson's attempts at sabotage." Or maybe "Your family has been informed of your return, but they have no wish to see you. I don't blame them." Something really cold and harsh and agonizing. Er. But then I tend to go for angst rather than comforting when it comes to Jonas. It's actually really horrible. He's such a happy character and every chance I get I try to make him miserable. Maybe his family was vacationing in Kelowna-Disney and were rushing back to see him or there was a big happy reunion scene offscreen where his family assures him they knew he was a good kid and they still loved him or something...

Definitely agree with the lack of ties thing. All I got from ANYTHING to do with Jonas's connection with Kelowna is that he was loyal to his country because it was his country. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I'd see it in reverse.
                I saw it as Honcho Guy trying to guilt trip Jonas into returning, but when you put it like you did I can see it your way too

Definitely agree with the lack of ties thing. All I got from ANYTHING to do with Jonas's connection with Kelowna is that he was loyal to his country because it was his country. Nothing more, nothing less.
                spoilers for s7 Fallen/Homecoming

I think part of the reason Jonas' return felt so abrupt to me is that because I didn't feel he had anything to return to I couldn't understand why he'd want to return. It just felt 'off' too me.
                ~BCM =)

Comment

spoilers for s7 Fallen/Homecoming

I think part of the reason Jonas' return felt so abrupt to me is that because I didn't feel he had anything to return to I couldn't understand why he'd want to return. It just felt 'off' too me.
                  Exactly! Now this would be the time, I think, for Honcho Guy to lay on the guilt trip to get Jonas to return. Whatever "ties" Jonas may or may not have had to Kelowna, I think the predominant reason he returned was flat-out guilt. He felt responsible for what happened and felt that he had to return to try and "set things right." I didn't even have a sense of loyalty tied to it that time, just heaps of guilt. Poor b@stard. And thanks to the way the ep played (barely focusing on what happened to him) I never felt that anyone even TRIED to stop him or tried to convince him that he didn't have to go. I'm sorry, but that whole goodbye scene still leaves me thinking that Jonas was really hurting over his decision to leave (wherein, IMO, he felt he had no choice due to the whole guilt thing) and everyone else was pretty much "don't let the gate hit you in the ass on the way out." Like they couldn't wait for the scene to get over so they could get on to more important things.

I know I'm biased, but it still really irks me...

Comment

I enjoyed this episode. I agree though, that they could have added some more 'Jonas' into the mix.

I liked Dean Stockwell, as I enjoyed him in Quantum Leap.
                    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

It was starnge because hallucination Jonas was carying a pistol that seemed to be firing deadly bullets and yet it had the red pistol butt of an Intar??
                      sigpic
                      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                        It was starnge because hallucination Jonas was carying a pistol that seemed to be firing deadly bullets and yet it had the red pistol butt of an Intar??
                        That's because Dr Keiran knew what Jonas' weapon looked like (oo-er), but having never seen an intar fired he assumed that it was just a regular pistol.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

And yet they never explain how Kieran knows what an intar looks like. Why else would he imagine a glowing red light on the bottom of the gun?

I thought Corin did a fantastic job in this ep and right from the start I felt Jonas was "off" in some scenes. Never twigged to the reason until it was actually revealed, so at least THAT part worked. But the rest of it... bah.

Comment

I assume that Jonas was carrying an Intar when he comes through the Stargate. Even if they then surrender their weapons, SG-1 usually go through armed. I'd need to check back on the ep to make sure.
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                              I assume that Jonas was carrying an Intar when he comes through the Stargate. Even if they then surrender their weapons, SG-1 usually go through armed. I'd need to check back on the ep to make sure.
                              I'm pretty sure he wasn't, but feel free to check. I can't imagine that Stargate Command would actually issue intars to team members for use in the field- I had the impression that they were for training scenarios only. And if they ARE issued, then Shadow Play is the only ep in the show's history where it happened.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't think Jonas was carrying a gun of ANY kind in that ep, except possibly a zat.

Comment

Working...
                              X