This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the Jaffa

Are the Jaffa gentically modified so that they need the symbiote/tritonine? Or is it just the current generation that needs it because their bodies have been exposed to it all their lives, meaning the next generation would be able to lie without the symbiotes or tritonine?
    sigpic

They are born like a normaly human. Then a device changes them and adds the pocket for the larval snake.
    "A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject"

Comment

Originally posted by JaceGate
      They are born like a normaly human. Then a device changes them and adds the pocket for the larval snake.
      That is true, but it is part of their genetic makeup now as well. I forget the word for it at the moment but when a Jaffa reaches their version of puberty, they have to go through the process of getting a larval symbiote, (or go on tretonin now that that is an option) otherwise they will die.
      My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

So if the jaffa of the newly freed population don't start taking tritonine at that age, they would die?
        sigpic

Comment

But remember Teal'c son. they were not even going to do the cerimony but Teal'c wife convinced them to. The reason he needed it because he was very sick. Teal'c went to stop it from happing and at that time they did not have tritonon so it must not be life threating or Teal'c would have been killing his son??

Comment

I believe Teal'c's son was living in the outskirts of the city, a bad area, and had caught a fever. He otherwise would have lived normally, but needed the ceremony so that the gouald could heal him. I think that jaffa are normal without the ceremony and can live without it.

Comment

Originally posted by contact2918
              That is true, but it is part of their genetic makeup now as well. I forget the word for it at the moment but when a Jaffa reaches their version of puberty, they have to go through the process of getting a larval symbiote, (or go on tretonin now that that is an option) otherwise they will die.
              Prim'ta ceremony where they recieve their first symbiote. Not sure if the children suffer from it but assumed it was the case as the genetic damage that was made by the goa'uld was...extensive. Speculation.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

The Jaffa have been engineered so that at puberty their immune system simply shuts down and without tretonin/symbiotes they will die. Its probably one of those aspects of the show the that evolved over time. i think at first the jaffa were supposed to be humans that were implanted with larva and that normal humans could made into one(Oneill in Hathor) or that if they weren't implanted they be human like us.
                Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath
                  The Jaffa have been engineered so that at puberty their immune system simply shuts down and without tretonin/symbiotes they will die.
                  You definitely hit that nail on the head.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by contact2918
                    i think it's called primtah also the name for a larva goauld

Comment

Originally posted by JaceGate
                      perfect example of that is the first time we see hathor
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

So all future generations will need to take tritonine?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis
                          So all future generations will need to take tritonine?
                          I imagine after a few generations, the need will become less, until, some time in the future, they again mirror humanity genetically.
                          Tired of sharing your life with a creature that has the mind of a snake and wishes to enslave you and your people? Wish you could just once live symbiote free? Wonder why you can't enjoy long walks on the beach and religion free war?

Then TRITONEN! may be right for you!*

*Side effects may include loss of sleep, dry, itchy pouch, severe loneliness, and possible torture at the hands of a System Lord. In rare cases, Tritonen can lead to death. Consult with your First Prime before using.

Comment

That would be a lot of tritonine!! After thinking on it a little more. Remember the Warrior Jaffa Women that were killing other Jaffa for their snakes. The young Jaffa girls were getting sick like Teal'c son was also sick maybe it is necessary and Teal'c did not know because no one has tried to not take the larva goauld!!!

Comment

But look at the Sodon... they were once Jaffa, but fled and remained hidden. Somehow, they managed...
                              Tired of sharing your life with a creature that has the mind of a snake and wishes to enslave you and your people? Wish you could just once live symbiote free? Wonder why you can't enjoy long walks on the beach and religion free war?

Then TRITONEN! may be right for you!*

*Side effects may include loss of sleep, dry, itchy pouch, severe loneliness, and possible torture at the hands of a System Lord. In rare cases, Tritonen can lead to death. Consult with your First Prime before using.

Comment

Working...
                              X