No announcement yet.

Abyss (606)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but just after the title sequence when the sarcophogus opens to reveal Jack he has a perfect shirt, but then it goes to Ba'al and when it's back on Jack there is a wound mark on his shoulder.
    Did anyone else notice this? Or know why it's there? (sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere)
    SecretArt
    My FanFic

Comment

Originally posted by SecretArt
      Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but just after the title sequence when the sarcophogus opens to reveal Jack he has a perfect shirt, but then it goes to Ba'al and when it's back on Jack there is a wound mark on his shoulder.
      Did anyone else notice this? Or know why it's there? (sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere)
      can't say i have but i have noticed that the sarcophagus is a little varied in whither is 'heals' clothes, i noticed this back in the season 1 finale when Daniel comes out of it completely whole, clothes and all hmm maybe i should write this there as well

any way i think this episode is awesome, it's fantastic and i can't really tell you why theres no big explosions, no big ship just a fantastic piece of writing which is pulled off in style!

Comment

this episode was awesome ! Ba'al was in it and Daniel
        Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
          Remember "The First Ones?" Or "Bloodlines?" The symbiotes there were able to live in water.

A symbiote takes a host because that's how they're able to have a nice new body with arms and legs...and so they can eat pie.

It's possible that Kana slithered off and found some water to hide in, until Kanan found a new host (remember how muddy the area was where Jack was hit by the staff blast?).

Or died.

Morjana
          it's possible yeah
          Lord Zedd

Comment

I just rewatched this episode and it is simply amazing. The first time viewing I was in awe of how beautifully well done this was but this has got to be my 7th time watching it and it is still good!

The music that plays when Jack is put in his cell for one of the last times is so sad and I think it really reflects how the character might feel. Hell, I even felt like crying at that point! (Granted I can't but, hey, the thought's there!)

This has got to be one of my absolute favourites.
            "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

The Cactus Looks Back: Abyss

A wonderful episode that reminds me very much of the Babylon 5 episode Intersections in Real Time (4.18). In fact, I think it would have been much more powerful had the SGC scenes been minimized (or even excluded), and the focus remained on O'Neill for the entire show. Unfortunately, this wouldn't really have worked, as the silent influence of Daniel Jackson on the others was an important element in the story's resolution.

But the conflict scenes with Thoran detracted from the A-plot, in my opinion. And as I believe Martin Wood mentioned in Frozen's commentary, the Dorian Harewood character (who was interesting) really wasn't given enough material, anyway. I can only imagine that this was used to forward hostility between the Tok'ra and Earth, but please don't spoil anything for me! I'm actually only at 6.07 at the time of writing this.

I also think Abyss could have benefitted from a darker, more abrasive set design. Don't get me wrong-- the "torture chamber" looked great. The holding cell was a little bland and non-threatening outside of the whole gravity thing, though, I thought. The facility could have just as likely been a Goa'uld health spa. A more menacing set would have made O'Neill's plight as much a visual hell as it was a mental one.

Intersections in Real Time lacked the emotional impact of this episode, however-- with the first appearance of Daniel Jackson in season six. But then, IiRT was more about the interrogation mind games. Both excellent episodes for their distinct series.
              Last edited by Cactus; 30 October 2004, 09:04 PM. Reason: Additions
              Famous quotations of James Tichenor, #1:

"Mm hmm...."

Famous quotations of James Tichenor, #2:

"Mm hmm, mm hmm...."

Comment

I just love this episode, this by far is one of my favs. I like that we get to see Danny boy again, and the whole thing between Jack and Daniel was fantastic.

True Love! <3 True Love! <3

Comment

I agree. The Jack/Daniel scenes were great. They were the highlight of this episode.

Comment

Wow.

Wow wow wow wow wow.

Just read the script for this in Essential Scripts.

Wow.

If the ep is half as good as the script makes it sound, it must be exceptional.

Wow.

[This my 200th posting!]
                    Last edited by zats; 02 January 2005, 07:08 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=zats]Wow.
                      Wow wow wow wow wow.
                      Just read the script for this in Essential Scripts.
                      Wow.
                      If the ep is half as good as the script makes it sound, it must be exceptional.
                      Wow. QUOTE]

Oh. "Abyss" is a MARVELOUS episode -- not only is the acting first rate (from everyone involved), but the sets and special effects are magical, especially the gravity sets.

RDA is just stunning -- especially that last scene in the cell between Jack and Daniel, when Jack realizes that there is hope. Oh, my...

I've only seen this episode maybe, oh, well, 50-60 times, and I always look forward to seeing it again. (The only episode I've seen more in Stargate is "Solitudes," and let's not even discuss Star Trek.)

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I've got to see it!

Comment

I LOVED this episode. If it were possible for a laser in the DVD player to burn out the track where the episode resides on my discs; it would have done so.

I loved the sets, the acting was top shelf. The torture scenes only added to the drama and intense need to get his ass <O'Neill) out of there.

The writing was tight, nothing unnecessary.

Enjoyed the interaction between the O'Neill and Daniel characters; especially O'Neill's "confession" that he is not "better than that, etc".

I really enjoyed seeing Ulla Fris, who played "the woman". She's a hunny-bunny. Since she went with the Tok'ra, sure would not mind seeing her again.
                          "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Yes, the interaction between Daniel and Jack was really, really good. I haven't seen a lot of S6, but I'd imagine that it was especially good to see MS back in the role (CN did a great job filling Shanks's shoes, but there are some people who just can't be replaced)--like a breath of fresher air.

Comment

Heavy episode. Well done.

Comment

This is one of my favourite eps. I love Jack/Daniel stuff, & the different perspective to their friendship with Daniel being ascended was great - same old...yet different!
                                The gravity cells & torture grill were brilliant too, as was Baal (my fav SL).
                                This ep is followed up quite nicely in a couple of the new books, which add some detail about what happened to Jack & the lingering effects of the torture - worth a read.
                                The ending is poignant & reminded me of the Jack/Daniel scene in Meridian when Daniel asks Jack to let him go; it brought a lump to my throat.

I also wondered about Canan being alive: here's a thought, Marduk, the Goa'uld in "The Tomb", S5, survived by going into that weird creature, so poss Canan could have done likewise, & then jumped into a new host if the opportunity presented. I did think it would have been interesting to see the character again, with his knowledge of Jack's innermost feelings, & the way he used him & then bailed out. Don't think we will see him again though, in all likelihood he paid the ultimate penalty for his abuse of Jack & his cowardice & just died.
                                Oy-Vey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X