No announcement yet.

Abyss (606)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

normally, i have to admit, i don't really care either way what they do to jack he's one of the few characters i really don't whump

BUT i absolutely loved the stuff between jack and daniel and then jack and the lotar (especially the way she'd appear and then fade away made it more moving like that i thought ) and everyone did a fabulous emotional job

and of course baal is in it

Comment

I can understand why you seem all so happy with this episode. I agree that the story and the interaction between Jack and Daniel are really great and powerful.

But, there's something that prevents me to enjoying Abyss. I don't understand why Daniel followed the rules of the Ascended. He was never the one to follow orders and rules before his ascension, how is it that he began to do that at the very moment his friend needed him the most ? To me, it's completely out of character for Daniel. Which is sad because I never truely enjoyed Abyss because of that.
      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

I hated that Daniel wouldn't help Jack when I first watched it; I was honestly ready to dislike Daniel for that. But then after seeing that he couldn't stop Anubis
        (Threads)
        Spoiler:
        and getting the full story in Threads
        it seemed like he just knew that trying to help wouldn't do him any good. I think if he literally could have helped, he would have. But it did make me wonder how that affected their friendship...I mean if a friend refused to help me when he had the power to do so, would I be able to trust him after that, even if everything worked out in the situation at hand?

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
          I hated that Daniel wouldn't help Jack when I first watched it; I was honestly ready to dislike Daniel for that. But then after seeing that he couldn't stop Anubis
          (Threads)
          Spoiler:
          and getting the full story in Threads
          it seemed like he just knew that trying to help wouldn't do him any good. I think if he literally could have helped, he would have. But it did make me wonder how that affected their friendship...I mean if a friend refused to help me when he had the power to do so, would I be able to trust him after that, even if everything worked out in the situation at hand?
          Yeah. Even if, after descension, Daniel doesn't remember it, Jack does. And even if he doesn't want to deal with it, it should still affect how he interacts with Daniel. But we've never seen a hint of it.
          My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
          -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
          -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
          -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
            I can understand why you seem all so happy with this episode. I agree that the story and the interaction between Jack and Daniel are really great and powerful.

But, there's something that prevents me to enjoying Abyss. I don't understand why Daniel followed the rules of the Ascended. He was never the one to follow orders and rules before his ascension, how is it that he began to do that at the very moment his friend needed him the most ? To me, it's completely out of character for Daniel. Which is sad because I never truely enjoyed Abyss because of that.
            He had no choice in the matter. The other ascended would have know if he helped Jack, and as Daniel was newly ascended, I don't think he knew what would happen to him, if he broke the rule of non-interference. And as an ascended being, he was no longer the Daniel we knew, so as much as he loved Jack, he would not break the rule.

I think the pathos of Jack initially pleading for help and Daniel being "powerless" to help, made the episode so compelling. I thought Abyss was excellent, in both writing, directing, special effects and of course, acting.
            "After all is said and done, more is said, than done." - Unknown

Comment

Fantastic episode and RDA was SUPER!!!
              love the interaction between Jack and Daniel too but what Daniel was doing in here??? i was surprised

Comment

Abyss is quite possibly my favorite episode in season 6. There were so many great moments between Daniel and Jack. For all those who didn't like that Daniel wouldn't help, I got the impression that more than anything he wanted to blow up the walls, and strike all the jaffa with lightning bolts. But he knew that the "others" were watching him..."They're ALWAYS watching..."
                ~I've got a little fron-ache.

Comment

I liked it. Good to see Daniel again. Breaks up him not being in most of season 6.

Comment

I liked that even though Daniel was at a higher level of existance, he was still the same old guy. The PTB didn't try to change his personality. His personality was good enough to allow him to ascend in the first place, no need to change.
                    ~I've got a little fron-ache.

Comment

Originally posted by Noo ani Anqueetus
                      Abyss is quite possibly my favorite episode in season 6. There were so many great moments between Daniel and Jack. For all those who didn't like that Daniel wouldn't help, I got the impression that more than anything he wanted to blow up the walls, and strike all the jaffa with lightning bolts. But he knew that the "others" were watching him..."They're ALWAYS watching..."
                      Oh, absolutely. And anyone who didn't get that in this ep should have gotten it it Threads in S8.

What bugs me about this episode isn't in this episode, it's in the lack of follow up to it. O'Neill is brutally tortured. For a long time. HE comes very close to breaking; he admits that.

Yet next week, and the week after, and the week after that, it's business as usual. No counseling, no nightmares, no post-traumatic stress, no recovery time of any kind. No lingering issues of any kind, either. It bugs me. Especially when Daniel shows up again in season seven. Daniel is Jack's best friend. Daniel had the power to break him out and stop the torture. Daniel didn't. And Jack has no issues with this? We as viewers know that Daniel couldn't have done anything; Jack, in the middle of things and not seeing what Daneil sees, can't know that. And even if he did, I'd still expect at least some kind of issues; issues like that are rarely rational.. But there's nothing.
                      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

i like this Ep because it is the return of Daniel

Comment

I was ready to dislike Daniel in this episode too, for all the reasons others have outlined. But the first time I watched it - without knowing what was to come in the rest of the season - I remembered that is Daniel's nature, to explore and understand new cultures as well as being fiercely loyal to his friends. He couldn't help and that is the nature of the difference between him and Jack.
                          But I loved this episode, RDA is truly fantastic and this one just makes me cry. Ba'al is evil.... the enjoyment with which he tortures O'Neill is obvious. OOOH he's a good baddie.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                            Daniel had the power to break him out and stop the torture. Daniel didn't. And Jack has no issues with this? We as viewers know that Daniel couldn't have done anything; Jack, in the middle of things and not seeing what Daneil sees, can't know that.
                            He did know that though - Daniel told him.

"I'd break you out of here"

"The Others would stop you".

That seemed to be borne out later in s6 when Daniel reminded Jack that there was a line he couldn't cross; Jack told him "cross it"; and Daniel went to goodness-knows-where-but-Jack-certainly-didn't. I'm sure Jack worked out that there was a high likelihood of Daniel's disappearance being connected with these 'Others' long before the start of s7.

Besides, it's not like Daniel didn't do anything. He made it possible for Jack to get himself out - less dramatic than a glowy jailbreak with much glowy zapping, but still pretty helpful. Jack's thanks at the end of the ep make it clear (IMO) that Jack sees this.

Madeleine

Comment

I'm certain, as to the way they showed it, that Daniel put the idea in Teal'c's mind about how to get Jack out. I just wondered why they didn't make that clearer.

Comment

Ah, I remeber watching this epsiode, so I did actually watch some of the episodes from this season. This episode I loved again another great slasher episode lots and lots and lots of Danny boy and Jack moments *sighs*. And Ba'al what a cute lol. Granted that it was perdictable that Jack would be saved in the nick of time, but nevertheless it didn't stop me from loving this episode. I don't know what I enjoyed more the return of Daniel or the J/D moments....

Mandeep

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

Working...
                                X