Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Abyss (606)

Default Re: Abyss (606)

But we can almost be certain that Kanan died. Since I don't think any non-Jaffa people was on that planet. Not counting Baals servants.

Re: Abyss (606)

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    But we can almost be certain that Kanan died. Since I don't think any non-Jaffa people was on that planet. Not counting Baals servants.

Remember "The First Ones?" Or "Bloodlines?" The symbiotes there were able to live in water.

A symbiote takes a host because that's how they're able to have a nice new body with arms and legs...and so they can eat pie.

It's possible that Kana slithered off and found some water to hide in, until Kanan found a new host (remember how muddy the area was where Jack was hit by the staff blast?).

Or died.

Morjana

I find that very unlikely, but I guess it's possible

It's hard for a symbiote to ask if they can go in your head if they are not already in a host.

Lieutenant Colonel Elwe Singollo's Avatar

And didn't Kanon escape Jacks body? So i don't think Jack would have gotten all the memories that Kanon had.

Re: Abyss (606)

Quote Originally Posted by Selmak
    It's hard for a symbiote to ask if they can go in your head if they are not already in a host.

When the symbiote is in a Jaffa, the symbiote and Jaffa don't communicate, and the symbiote has NO control over the Jaffa. The symbiote can't communicate through the Jaffa. They symbiote is a Jaffa is carried within the stomach pouch.

The symbiote in a host is wrapped around the host's brain stem...where the body's autonomic brain systems are housed. That's why a symbiote can control a host.

One of the reasons **why** the Goa'uld are so reviled and feared, is that they **do not** ask for permission to invade a host -- they just do it.

It's the Tok'ra who are the more polite symbiotes -- generally they ask permission -- except in dire emergencies for the symbiote apparently (thinking of Jolinar from "In the Line of Duty").

Morjana

I was refering to Kanon... the Tok'ra... he either died or broke the Tok'ra rule again and got another host without asking permission.

Airman

Am I the only one who really, really didnt like this episode?

I'm sure you're not the only one... but in this thread you seem to be.

This was the one episode I didn't really enjoy. I don't like torture scenes, and I found this one a little disturbing.
    Nice effect with the gravity changing in the cell though.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29235&d=1297874202

Default Abyss Error

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but just after the title sequence when the sarcophogus opens to reveal Jack he has a perfect shirt, but then it goes to Ba'al and when it's back on Jack there is a wound mark on his shoulder.
    Did anyone else notice this? Or know why it's there? (sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere)
    SecretArt
    My FanFic

Default Re: Abyss Error

Quote Originally Posted by SecretArt
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but just after the title sequence when the sarcophogus opens to reveal Jack he has a perfect shirt, but then it goes to Ba'al and when it's back on Jack there is a wound mark on his shoulder.
    Did anyone else notice this? Or know why it's there? (sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere)
    can't say i have but i have noticed that the sarcophagus is a little varied in whither is 'heals' clothes, i noticed this back in the season 1 finale when Daniel comes out of it completely whole, clothes and all hmm maybe i should write this there as well

any way i think this episode is awesome, it's fantastic and i can't really tell you why theres no big explosions, no big ship just a fantastic piece of writing which is pulled off in style!

this episode was awesome ! Ba'al was in it and Daniel
    Lord Zedd

Quote Originally Posted by morjana
    Remember "The First Ones?" Or "Bloodlines?" The symbiotes there were able to live in water.

A symbiote takes a host because that's how they're able to have a nice new body with arms and legs...and so they can eat pie.

It's possible that Kana slithered off and found some water to hide in, until Kanan found a new host (remember how muddy the area was where Jack was hit by the staff blast?).

Or died.

Morjana
    it's possible yeah
    Lord Zedd

I just rewatched this episode and it is simply amazing. The first time viewing I was in awe of how beautifully well done this was but this has got to be my 7th time watching it and it is still good!

The music that plays when Jack is put in his cell for one of the last times is so sad and I think it really reflects how the character might feel. Hell, I even felt like crying at that point! (Granted I can't but, hey, the thought's there!)

This has got to be one of my absolute favourites.

Lightbulb Re: Abyss (606)

The Cactus Looks Back: Abyss

A wonderful episode that reminds me very much of the Babylon 5 episode Intersections in Real Time (4.18). In fact, I think it would have been much more powerful had the SGC scenes been minimized (or even excluded), and the focus remained on O'Neill for the entire show. Unfortunately, this wouldn't really have worked, as the silent influence of Daniel Jackson on the others was an important element in the story's resolution.

But the conflict scenes with Thoran detracted from the A-plot, in my opinion. And as I believe Martin Wood mentioned in Frozen's commentary, the Dorian Harewood character (who was interesting) really wasn't given enough material, anyway. I can only imagine that this was used to forward hostility between the Tok'ra and Earth, but please don't spoil anything for me! I'm actually only at 6.07 at the time of writing this.

I also think Abyss could have benefitted from a darker, more abrasive set design. Don't get me wrong-- the "torture chamber" looked great. The holding cell was a little bland and non-threatening outside of the whole gravity thing, though, I thought. The facility could have just as likely been a Goa'uld health spa. A more menacing set would have made O'Neill's plight as much a visual hell as it was a mental one.

Intersections in Real Time lacked the emotional impact of this episode, however-- with the first appearance of Daniel Jackson in season six. But then, IiRT was more about the interrogation mind games. Both excellent episodes for their distinct series.
    Last edited by Cactus; October 30th, 2004 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Additions
    Famous quotations of James Tichenor, #1:

"Mm hmm...."

Famous quotations of James Tichenor, #2:

"Mm hmm, mm hmm...."

I just love this episode, this by far is one of my favs. I like that we get to see Danny boy again, and the whole thing between Jack and Daniel was fantastic.

I agree. The Jack/Daniel scenes were great. They were the highlight of this episode.

Good question...think it's Kansas...let me check...

Lightbulb Re: Abyss (606)

Wow.

Wow wow wow wow wow.

Just read the script for this in Essential Scripts.

Wow.

If the ep is half as good as the script makes it sound, it must be exceptional.

Wow.

[This my 200th posting!]
    Last edited by zats; January 2nd, 2005 at 08:08 PM.

Heart Re: Abyss (606)

[QUOTE=zats]Wow.
    Wow wow wow wow wow.
    Just read the script for this in Essential Scripts.
    Wow.
    If the ep is half as good as the script makes it sound, it must be exceptional.
    Wow. QUOTE]

Oh. "Abyss" is a MARVELOUS episode -- not only is the acting first rate (from everyone involved), but the sets and special effects are magical, especially the gravity sets.

RDA is just stunning -- especially that last scene in the cell between Jack and Daniel, when Jack realizes that there is hope. Oh, my...

I've only seen this episode maybe, oh, well, 50-60 times, and I always look forward to seeing it again. (The only episode I've seen more in Stargate is "Solitudes," and let's not even discuss Star Trek.)

Morjana

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast