This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SS-100 "Rome" Space Station

The station would be Earth's diplomatic front and have a Stargate. Instead of an iris, the gate room would have a Tokra one-way sheild so that alien diplomats could be seen face-to-face, but threats could be be safley eliminated.

The station would also serve as an Earth outpost. Earth ships could be repaired and built. Also, 10 SG teams would operate out of Rome.

The station would be built in 2010 and be powered by the ZPM recently discovered by the Atlantis expedition. Rome would have a shield much like the one in Atlantis, but would only be activated is the station was under attack due to power consumption.

Defenses:
    2 F-302 Squadrons
    10 Puddle Jumpers
    Rail Guns
    Ancient Shield
    A BC-303 (Endeavor)

Dimensions:
    Shape = +
    Each pier has four decks and is 1/4 km. long.
    The Center tower goes up and down 20 levels from the center.
    The tower is 100 ft by 100 ft.

Rome would be operated by a crew of 200 and orbit the Alpha site.
    Last edited by Brainsforsale; 06 March 2006, 06:47 AM.

The P90, the backbone of the Tuari.

Spoiler:
    I hate you...

Comment

And now, for something completely different:

Gladius-class Cruiser

~Type: Advanced small hyperspace capable warship
      ~Technology Base: Tollan/Asgard
      ~Dimensions:
      Length - 89 meters
      Beam - 36 meters
      Draft - 18 meters
      ~Crew: Can be run entirely by computer in planetary-defense role; In manned role only requires two personnel to run. Maximum capacity: 50
      ~Powerplant: Tollan energy generator
      ~Engines:
      Inertialess Drive
      Asgard Hyperdrive
      ~Weapons:
      2 x Tollan Ion Cannons
      1 x Phase Bomb Launcher
      ~Defenses:
      Tollan Phase Device
      Asgard Shields
      ~Other Technology:
      Tollan/Asgard sensors
      Goa'uld Rings

Technical and Historical Notes

To the best of the SGC's knowledge, the Tollan were wiped out by Anubis in the year 2002 after they failed to honor their agreement to build the Gou'ald advanced weapons for use against the galaxy. However, later information would reveal that the Tollan had indeed survived the assault on their world, in one of the most elaborate deceptions ever conceived by humans.

Tanith would later report to his master, Anubis, that their assault on Tollana had left no survivors, but Narim, as the acting head of the Tollan Nation, had secretly phase-shifted the majority of the population into deep, underground bunkers the Tollan had discovered abandoned on Tollana when they first settled there. The bunkers had been used by some long-dead race, apparently to hide from invaders, and was shielded with high concentrations of lead and other sensor-obscuring minerals. The long-dead race, however, had apparently died because of the lead that protected them, but the Tollan were able to prevent this for their own people while hiding from the Gou'ald.

Narim's final transmissions to the SGC were a nessecary ruse while the Tollan sent up many of their ships on autopilot and had what amounted to a "skeleton population" fighting and dying on the surface. Narim and the last of the defenders appeared to die when the Goa'uld's final blow struck, but they too had descended into the bunkers, before leaving through a secondary Stargate, and remaining hidden for over four years while their world was occupied and ransacked by the Gou'ald.

In this time, on New Tollana, the Tollan began to rebuild their society, hidden from everyone (even their allies, the Tau'ri) until they could mount an effective defense and offense against the Gou'ald, unaware in their isolation that SG-1 had succeeded in defeating them. Finally, in 2006, the Tollan made contact with the Tau'ri once more and renewed their alliance-This time, offering help in enhancing the technology the SGC already had and offering military support, rather than simply smugly telling the Tau'ri they were too primitive for such help.

The Gladius-class cruiser, resembling the sword used by the Romans from whom the Tollan are descended, utilizes the most advanced Tollan technology. While very small ships, the Gladius are able to engage and defeat vessels many times their size. Able to phase-shift through an enemy vessel's shields and hull, the Gladius can deploy a single high-yield bomb and phase shift again to escape destruction. With it's twin, second-generation Tollan ion cannons, the Gladius can destroy late-model Goa'uld motherships with several shots, and easily escape destruction with either it's phase-shift technology or Asgard shields.

The ships can be set to run completely automated, and several in this mode form New Tollana's first line of defense. However, a number of these ships, manned by a full crew, have been assisting the Tau'ri and the Free Jaffa Nation against the Ori, giving the allies a badly needed boost against the onslaught of these extra-galactic invaders.
      Last edited by Andrew Joshua Talon; 06 March 2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

That gladius i like, it is sensible and presented with a actuall working backstory as well. have some greeny

Comment

Thank you.

Alas, it looks like our ships are going to be limited to rail guns for defensive purposes, and missiles for offensive purposes (at least against capital ships). Still, using Asgard beaming technology, or intertial dampeners, can make our missiles much harder to be intercepted. Plus, they are effective against enemy ships. The rush to switch to energy weapons (that we'd need several years to develop and deploy reliably on our own) is unnessecary, when what we've got works just fine and can be further enhanced very easily.

Naturally, I wouldn't mind our ships getting Tollan Ion cannons and being able to use Ancient drones, but it's very impractical. The Tollans, with the Gladius here, would still be rather reluctant to give us advanced technology, but are at least willing to help us in war. And just so you know, "gladius" was actuallya generic Latin term for swords in general, like the term "guns" for firearms and other projectile weapons we use.

Comment

Anyone ever read "Night's Dawn"
            bascially I'd like to see a void hawk

A living starship (grown not manufactued), telepathically bonded to it's captain and using a gravity distortion drive (which besides allowing it to move very fast and very manouverably at Sub light, allows it to open wormholes [but with a limted range of how much space the wormhole can bridge])

As a possible backstory how about the ship was a reverse engineered wraith cruiser/hive that Lantian scientists modified (hiding it from even Atlantis) only to be discovered at some point by the SG:A team
            sigpic

Comment

This is just made up off the cuff so don't bash it too hard.

Spoiler:

Perseverance-class interplanetary exploration vehicle.

Dimensions-

Length: 593 ft.

Width: 320 ft.

Height(without landing gear): 100 ft.

Technical specifications-

Powerplant: Sustained Fusion reactor(needs to be refueled every two years).

Speed: 0.409c(slower when in mediums other than a vacuum)

Propulsion: Twelve+ gravity field projectors/manipulators(these also provide inertial dampening and earth-like gravity for the ship).

Sensor array: Is composed of optical(view over 99% of the spectrum), radiation(virtually anything thats radiated is detected), subspace(very primitive and virtually incapable of detecting anyhting in subspace or hyperspace that isn't at least the size of a large city).

Armament: none

Shields: intense gravity fields geared to move objects around the ship.

history/backstory

It was developed and built in secret by a group of scientists that had no connection with or affiliation with the stargate program or alien races. It was meant to explore the solar system in its entirety(as well as putting other's experiments into space). It was designed to operate in virtually any large medium(except for underground) including underwater.

I hope this is interesting for you guys/girls.
              Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 28 November 2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Fusion with Uranium? You mean Fission with Uranium or Fusion with lighter materials?

To start a fusion process in Uranium you need to put more energy in than what you get out of the fusion process.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                  Fusion with Uranium? You mean Fission with Uranium or Fusion with lighter materials?

To start a fusion process in Uranium you need to put more energy in than what you get out of the fusion process.
                  Oh didn't know that, thanks for telling me I'll edit that and just put something a bit more fusionable in.

By the way what materials are fusion-able?
                  Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 28 November 2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
                    Oh didn't know that, thanks for telling me I'll edit that and just put something a bit more fusionable in.

By the way what materials are fusionable?
                    There are several hydrogen isotopes which are fusionable; deuterium is one.
                    "I'm not crazy. I just have another consciousness in my brain."

Firefly/Serenity Fans checkout:
                    http://www.intotheblack.ca/
                    Click ME >>>> My 3d Models" <<<<Click ME

Comment

Originally posted by OculusMortis
                      thats what they use in Star Trek..

Comment

Some interesting things here. I've always liked the technology aspect of SG, but rather than add another ship design, I thought I'd introduce some things that weren't thought of.

Rail guns:
                        Railguns are already under development by the Navy. Basically, a projectile accelerated by electro-magnatism, along a pair of "rails" (think train tracks). The advantage is not needing gunpowder to accelerate a projectile. The disadvantage is building the right type of projectile. It has to be effected by magnets, and yet not melt and fuse to the rails due to the power flowing through them. This really limits what you make out of. So far, the best candidates for projectiles are based on tungsten.

In short, adding things like inertia dampeners and other special things will really screw with the physics. The best that could be added, is probably a trinium tip, to give more puncture power. Remember also, ammo needs to be cheap. You start adding frills, and the cost skyrockets. KISS, or Keep It Simple Stupid.

But what really surprises me, is why SG, an Air Force show, doesn't take into account weapons that the Air Force is actively developing: Lasers and Particle Beam Weapons.

Lasers:
                        There was an article awhile back that showed how the Air Force was going to put solid-state lasers on fighters, in order to shoot down missiles, and you may have heard of the ongoing Airborne Laser program, which aims to put a powerful Megawatt-class chemical laser on a modified Boeing 747, and shoot down ICBMs.

There are many different types of lasers, but the kind that most intrigued me was the Free Electron Laser. Mostly being developed by the Navy, for mounting on ships to shoot down missiles and planes, it's main advantage is tunability. With a Naquada generator for power, it could be quite an effective weapon. However, true lasers have an invisible beam, which wouldn't make for very exciting space combat (we want to see red or green lasers!). But invisible lasers would be a nice advantage in that you wouldn't know where the attack was coming from.

But for the purposes of Stargate, they could develop a different type of laser that actually has color.

It's main advantage would be shooting down projectiles (a sort of point defense system) and shooting down fast moving fighters. As a disadvantage, the laser would need several seconds of "dwell time" on the target, to deliver it's full potential. And it wouldn't deliver near as much power vs. a shielded mothership like a Ha'tak, as a missile would. Also, it would overheat if kept on too long, so would require cooldown time.

For that, we get to the other energy weapon: Particle Beam Weapons. For the laymen, such a weapon would look much like a lightning bolt, using billions of atoms as "bullets".

The last I heard of the Air Force's research into this, they had constructed a particle accelerator to study the weapon potential, called RADLAC. And RADLAC II was under construction which would have been much bigger. This was at least a decade or two ago, though. My guess is, the research went secret. However, the type of weapon they were considered was a neutral particle beam consisting of hydrogen atoms, accelerated along a looong barrel (think 1-2 miles). I'm hoping that with what we've learned with alien tech, and power generation from Naquada and Naquadria, we can shorten that. Still, such a weapon would run the length of the ship, with the barrel on the front.

It's main use would be vs. other capital ships, but would require that the firing ship's nose actually be pointed at it's target. However, since particle beam weapons are another speed-of-light weapon (like lasers), it wouldn't have to be pointed at the enemy very long.

Disadvantages: As I said, such a weapon, to have the kind of power needed, would need to run the length of the ship. Longer the barrel, the more power to the weapon. Longer barrel = more accelerators placed along it = more acceleration of particles. Also, a neutral particle beam wouldn't work so well in an atmosphere (for that, you'd need a charged particle beam, a whole 'nother ball of wax).

Bottom Line:

So my idea for a ship using energy weapons, would be a single powerful neutral particle beam weapon for capitol ships, and lasers for defense and anti-fighter defense. Missiles would be a few tubes for launching standard large naquada nukes, but also a smaller MRLS (Multiple Rocket Launch System). Since the biggest problem of missile is their tendancy to be shot down, why not launch a whole slew of smaller ones? I'm thinking 12 smaller ones at once, which arc into the target from varying trajectories. I'd forgo using railguns altogether.

A Destroyer Class, with only a small bay for holding a 2-4 ships. Either fighters, puddle jumpers, the Goauld cargo ships, or other various small craft. It's main role is to protect the Carrier, that lacks weaponary like a particle beam or a lot of missiles, and instead carries a lot of fighters. The fighters would be upgraded to carry a smaller railgun with trinium tipped projectiles, as well as solid-state laser, for longer-lasting capability against other fighters. Their main role would be fly close to a capitol ship to deliver missiles at near point-blank range, to minimize risk of missile shootdown.

Comment

Intriguing and practical. Railguns are more effective when employed against relatively "soft" targets, such as those we have on our own planet. Which is why the US Navy is developing them in the first place.

Nice article, overall. So, how about a ship design making use of your conclusions?

Comment

Actually railguns are not that good of a weapon, since with each shot the rails are severaly damaged. A coilgun design is much longer lasting.
                            However, a coilgun does not sound as cool as railgun and the general public has no clue what a coilgun is, but knows from other scifi wht a railgun is.
                            therefore railgun is used a sname.

Comment

Well, they're what we've got for now. Lasers (or pulse lasers) would be my prefered point-defense weapons system. Being able to "spray" an area and keep it clean of enemy fighters and missiles, as well as being able to intercept (potentially) enemy weapons fire. One energy blast against another, right?

Though with shields, that seems rather wasteful.

Comment

Originally posted by OculusMortis
                                Thanks. I updated my technical stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X