Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now, in honor of Kaiphantom's excellent design, I present my interpretation of the Vortex-class destroyer:

I increased the number of MRLS launchers to give the ship more overall firepower, and to take up the empty spaces. The FELs each use an independent liquid naquadria power source, which reduces the amount of space and support equipment connected to them and lowers the risk of power failure.

The "swan neck" design grants access to the support craft bay underneath the main cannon. And the "outrigger" pods house the main hyperdrive units.

Comment

My ship would have a plasma cannon of some kind (retrofitted from something maybe) with an out-of-phase type cloak like the Sodan used. Along with a way to fire drones out of it. The last part would be of course hyperspace and all that along with an ZPM.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientaction
        if anybodys played the game, "HomeWorld 2"

i think the Battle Cruser from that game would kick ass
        I agree, loved that game.
        Does any one know a good 3D graphics program that is good to design ships?(has to be PC). I've been inspired by the sci-fi meshes site (must see for ship lovers) and have been designing a lots of concept ships. I would love to show you guys but don't have a scanner. Plus I'm not really good at spec's only good at the aesthetic look and design.

P.S freyr's mother and deadman love you artistic license even though it's ludicrous and ludicrous is good in my books.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deadman
          MS-301
          Dimensions
          Decks- 55
          Withd- 265
          Length- 500

Crew
          Command Deck- 25
          Medical Unit- 10
          Ship Security- 200
          Engineers- 100
          Total- 335

Ship Capacity
          2,500 people minus crew

Power
          1 Singularity Reactor (uses an artificial blackhole trapped in electromagnetic field as energy)
          Asgard Class Reactors (backup)

Propulsion
          Singularity Drive (Stargate speed hyperspace travel)
          Hyperdrive Window Generator
          FTL Drive
          Ionis Sublight Drive
          Anti-Gravity Wave Drive

Shielding
          Shields- Asgard Shield Generators
          Cloaking Device
          Hull- Triple Titanium-Trinium Alloy Hull

Weapons
          Gravity Bombs (forms a blackhole that lasts for a few seconds)
          Coil Guns (use magnetic coils instead of rails)
          Naquada Laced Coil Gun Shells
          Charged Particle Cannons
          Missles
          Naquada Nukes

Other Tech
          Subspace Communications Array
          Asgard Beaming
          Rings
          More info:

Backround
          Developed shortly after the Daedalus Project as a joint project between the USAF, US Navy, Russian Military, RAF, and the Chinese. It is made to unite the major powers of the world for its defense.

The ship's outer shell is made of carbon fiber and the ship itself is desinged for radar stealth. The ship is completely black so it can not be seen easily. Finally, the ship is equipped with cloaking technology for surprise attacks.

The power system, the Singularity Reactor, was created based off of research form the BH incident at the SGC, and the SuperGates. The hole itself is held in place by a powerful magnetic field. The total power output is double that a ZPM is capable of.
          http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
          The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon

I increased the number of MRLS launchers to give the ship more overall firepower, and to take up the empty spaces. The FELs each use an independent liquid naquadria power source, which reduces the amount of space and support equipment connected to them and lowers the risk of power failure.

The "swan neck" design grants access to the support craft bay underneath the main cannon. And the "outrigger" pods house the main hyperdrive units.
            Not bad, thanks! I'm a crappy artist, so never would have attempted it. I specialize in seeing what technology is out there, what's possible, and what's needed to achieve it. You'd be surprised what can be done with out any fancy alient tech. ^^

Only a few changes I'd make.

#1. Laster Turrets. Lasers don't need barrels. In fact, the ones I was visualizing, were like the simple black domes in "2010". Though I don't believe those were actual lasers, as a laser is just like turning on and off a flashlight.

#2. You put the support craft bay just about where I had envisioned, although I envisioned launches taking place out the sides. Recovery could be from the front, however.

#3. # Not quite sure what kind of construction is needed for the hyperdrive, but was trying to stay away from any major "outrigger pods." The idea is for a minimal profile when charging another ship. But if they are required, then they wouldn't stick out as much as they do on Prommie or Dedy. I had assumed Prommies and Dedy's pods were the hanger bays.

Other than that, looks good. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom
              Not bad, thanks! I'm a crappy artist, so never would have attempted it. I specialize in seeing what technology is out there, what's possible, and what's needed to achieve it. You'd be surprised what can be done with out any fancy alient tech. ^^

Only a few changes I'd make.

#1. Laster Turrets. Lasers don't need barrels. In fact, the ones I was visualizing, were like the simple black domes in "2010". Though I don't believe those were actual lasers, as a laser is just like turning on and off a flashlight.

#2. You put the support craft bay just about where I had envisioned, although I envisioned launches taking place out the sides. Recovery could be from the front, however.

#3. # Not quite sure what kind of construction is needed for the hyperdrive, but was trying to stay away from any major "outrigger pods." The idea is for a minimal profile when charging another ship. But if they are required, then they wouldn't stick out as much as they do on Prommie or Dedy. I had assumed Prommies and Dedy's pods were the hanger bays.

Other than that, looks good. ^^
              I agree: We've come up with some pretty cool stuff on our own. The SR-71 Blackbird, for instance. ^__^ Any thoughts on how to refine the 371 design I created in my Homeworld Defense thread?

On your suggestions:

1: Oops! I just like the look of naval gun turrets. They seem more focused and direct, that's all. Good point though. Domes would make more sense.

2: That's what those doors on the sides are for, actually. The entire bay can be opened to space on three sides.

3: The outboard pods are from the Prometheus. I felt that it would be easier to lift already developed hyperdrives from a previous program and add them to the Vortex to cut down on R&D costs. Plus, this way there's more room in the main hull for other things, and not taken up by the hyperdrives. The sihoulette increase is very minimal, as the pods are held close to the main hull.

Any more idea for ships, feel free to post them!

Comment

backround: about ten years after the ori were finally defeated, the greatest minds of the asgard tau'ri tokra nox(suprisingly) and tolon got together to form a ship off wich a fleet of super ships would be based off. the tau'ri represented their own technology and anciet technology after mastering atlantis based technologies when the fleet is finished the ships will be used soley for defence of the pegusus milky way and ida galixies

class:supership (super-battleship/transport ship/lab ship)

hull: trinium based inner-layer with an outer-layer composed of a substance created by the nox and tolon in order to make a metal capable of containing nuclear fusion. the outer shell was composed of a substance similar to that of the armer used by kull warriors this was created by the tau'ri after seeing how effective the armor was at absorbing energy wepons

design and size: all five of the races decided to base the design off an experimental warship the ancients planned to use on the wraith found in the atlantis databanks, but made large changes in the design to accomidate for cargo space, living quarters food storage and many other things it is roughly 1 kilometer (that might sound like alot but it really isnt for a ship...but just to clarify i did read that you said not to make it 4 kilometers) in length and at its widest point, 200 meters it is long and narrow for the most part but has wings that come off near the very back and connect to longer segments on each side much like this: (sorry i didnt do anything elaborate)

computer system: the most advanced computer system ever created encoded in a combination of asgard nox tolon and an ancient form of launguage specifically created for such a thing and the most advance tau'ri uses a complicated hybridized form of control crystals created by ancients and a asgard based tau'ri system for controlling hyperdrives uses a version of holographic communication created by the ancients that allows you to interact with systems of another ship (must be compatible ship) uses a hybrid of sensors created by the asgard nox and tolon and is displayed through advanced holographic imagry created by the tokra and tau'ri sensors are capable of detecting stargates on planets and large ships anywhere within a 500,000 light year radius (is that a good number? dont get mad if it is way too big or way too small not quite sure...)

power source: a system of 3 zpms that provide power to sheilds and hyperdrive only (along with systems that control them) and a asgard power source for everything else also uses quite a bit of heavy liquid naquadah (provided by the tokra) for some of the secondary wepons

sheilds/hyperdrives: sheilds are provided by a fusion of nox asgard and ancient sheilding combined with the sheild/energy source that the ori created to erect the supergate the first time. hyperdrives are the most advanced ancient hyperdrives that was improved upon by a combined effort of thor of the asgard samantha carter and rodney mc'kay of the tau'ri and some tokra and nox

stealth: this was peovided soley from the nox as they have the most advanced stealth technology of any race known

extras: included asgard beam technology tolon wepon disarming for prisoners a technology created by the tau'ri that could activate a gate from orbit and redirect transport ring beam and send it through the gate and have the gate on the otherside to rematerialize the beam.

wepons: secondary: tolon ion cannon ancient designed wepon similar to that of the one used to destroy one of the hive ships during season one of atlantis on that satellite tokra and tau'ri designed railguns strategic use of asgard beaming technology, drones (ship carries 500 at one time but in times of peril can get them shiped if near stargates)
                primary: customized drones that have naquadria enhanced nuclear warheads and personal sheilds that allow it to pierce any sheild with ease(not easy to produce so each ship carries only 10)

crew: a crew consisting of all five of these races with 5 captains abord one from each race these captains include o'neils clone baldur (who knows an extensive amount of ancient technology after traveling to atlantis with the deadulus) and... important people from the tokra nox and tolon too...
                only top commanders get the ancient gene which is required for access to restricted area such as where they keep the drones, engines, sheild generators, control crystals etc. the ancient gene is also required for use of the drones (obviously)

Comment

fanwank

Comment

Originally posted by deadman
                    More info:

Backround
                    Developed shortly after the Daedalus Project as a joint project between the USAF, US Navy, Russian Military, RAF, and the Chinese. It is made to unite the major powers of the world for its defense.

The ship's outer shell is made of carbon fiber and the ship itself is desinged for radar stealth. The ship is completely black so it can not be seen easily. Finally, the ship is equipped with cloaking technology for surprise attacks.

The power system, the Singularity Reactor, was created based off of research form the BH incident at the SGC, and the SuperGates. The hole itself is held in place by a powerful magnetic field. The total power output is double that a ZPM is capable of.
                    Quantum Singularities! Yes!

I was wondering when one would implement a quantum singularity into their power systems.

Comment

Originally posted by travis
                      I agree, loved that game.
                      Does any one know a good 3D graphics program that is good to design ships?(has to be PC). I've been inspired by the sci-fi meshes site (must see for ship lovers) and have been designing a lots of concept ships. I would love to show you guys but don't have a scanner. Plus I'm not really good at spec's only good at the aesthetic look and design.

Might want to give www.blender.org a spin, its powerfull and opensource, will costs you only time.
                      But 3d graphic is a very time consuming art, don't be frustrated if you don'y get anything done in the first weeks, that is 100% total normal and happens to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                        Might want to give www.blender.org a spin, its powerfull and opensource, will costs you only time.
                        But 3d graphic is a very time consuming art, don't be frustrated if you don'y get anything done in the first weeks, that is 100% total normal and happens to everyone.
                        Thanks you, but do you think it's user friendly. I do not have any graphic design knowledge or background, as I'm only good at drawing by the old fashion way.
                        sigpic

Comment

To be real honest.
                          There is NO userfirendly 3d software at all.
                          However, everyone is different and might find a particular software easyer to work with then another software.
                          It all comes down to sit and try, follow a few tutorials and play around. And then try to give form to an idea you have. Start simple and for the first year or so, it doesn't realy even matters what software you use, since you don't have any skills needed to use any of the better ones to even a tiny bit of its potential. 3d graphocs is one of the most complex things to do with a computer, especialy if you want photorealistic or otherwise perfection.
                          Just pick a software and experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
                            And now, in honor of Kaiphantom's excellent design, I present my interpretation of the Vortex-class destroyer:

Nice ship.
                            I also have some sketches for some ships that I have put together for some fan fiction that I am currently writing. Sketching is easy for me, but drawing in 3d? You'd have better luck at winning the lottery.
                            I'm trying Vue, although it takes getting used to. So I might be trying Blender.
                            I have designed bombers, cruisers, destroyers, a carrier and also a battleship, and alternate reality ships as well, which will be in my fan fiction. But like I said, I can sketch, but not really draw properly in 3d.
                            I'll scan some in, and try and post it. Although this is really my first time that I am posting.
                            Apols if I have gone on a bit, but I had a lot of time on my hands before. Shame I've got writers block at the moment, otherwise I would have finished the story.
                            strength must be balanced with sweetness of temperament

Comment

This my first fanmade ship so go easy on me..

DDX-306 /Unity-class Advanced Destroyer

Type: Small medium-range hyperspace capable warship
                              Technology base: Earth/Asgard
                              Nations: United States Navy, United States Air Force, Royal Navy/Air Force, Russian Space Service, Canadian Air Force
                              Naval Classification: Advanced Destroyer /Light Cruiser
                              Hull: Titanium/Steel, Carbon composites, Trinium in areas of importance[bridge,engineering etc]
                              Decks: Nine
                              Dimensions:
                              ~Length: 150m
                              ~Width: 45m
                              ~Height: 50m
                              Displacement: 2,800 tons
                              Crew: 35
                              ~SG Teams: 1
                              ~Troops: 40
                              ~Craft: Six Tel'tac cargo ships, Puddlejumpers or F-302As
                              ~Vehicles: 4 Humvees, 8 UGV mobile defense platforms
                              Powerplant: Mk. III Naquadah Reactor/ Mk. II Naquadah Generator backup
                              Engines:
                              ~Five ion-based sublight drives
                              ~Two hyperspace window generators
                              ~Antigravity Wave Generator
                              Weapons:
                              ~Ten Mk. II 15mm Point Defense Railguns/ 6000 rounds each
                              ~One 40 round retractable turreted MRM Pod/ Reloadable Naquidah enhanced missiles
                              ~Three triple barrel 180mm Heavy railguns/ Experimental Potassium/Naquidah Explosive rounds
                              ~One VLS/ Firing 4 Mk. IX Gatebuster/Anti-Ori Nuclear Missiles-/can be transported outside enemy shields
                              Defenses:
                              ~Asgard shields/ remodulated for directed energy weapons-Unity can take two direct hits before failure
                              ~Reactive Armor
                              Other Technology:
                              ~Asgard transporters
                              ~Asgard sensors
                              ~Gou'ald Rings/ New security protocol to prevent unauthorized transports

The Unity Class Advanced Destroyer is designed to be a low cost, hard hitting escort for the more expensive and difficult to produce BC-304 Daedalus class. The ship class name Unity was chosen because this would be the first Earth vessel to be untilized by all members of the Stargate Treaty. Its small size and use of earth made alloys and composite materials makes it ideal for large scale production globally. Six vessels are expected to be ready by the end of 2007 and Nine by the end of 2008. At a pricetag of roughly 4 billion dollars the Unity class is far more affordable than the venerable Daedalus Class...

After the failure to stop the Ori's second beachhead and the destruction of several Free Jaffa Nation and Tauri capital ships by the Ori's Directed Energy Beams it was sermised that a smaller, faster vessel that could stay out of the main weapons firing arc would be able to "overwhelm" the Ori vessels shields with heavy volleys of fire. The tactic for fighting is hit and run move in against firing arcs and firing heavy guns and MRMs while the 304s fight the enemy head on.
                              Last edited by Milleniumlance; 10 March 2006, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Nice design!

However, now that the Ori have shown just how our ships measure up against theirs (not very well), I think we need to focus more on putting up as many big, powerful ships as possible. Destroyer-class vessels will have to be cut down 304s-Smaller hulls, no fighter bays, same armament. Or, uprated versions of the Prometheus.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Comment

Working...
                                X