Page 5 of 673 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105505 ... LastLast

Arrow2 Re: New Ship Thread

This is just made up off the cuff so don't bash it too hard.

Spoiler:

Perseverance-class interplanetary exploration vehicle.

Dimensions-

Length: 593 ft.

Width: 320 ft.

Height(without landing gear): 100 ft.

Technical specifications-

Powerplant: Sustained Fusion reactor(needs to be refueled every two years).

Speed: 0.409c(slower when in mediums other than a vacuum)

Propulsion: Twelve+ gravity field projectors/manipulators(these also provide inertial dampening and earth-like gravity for the ship).

Sensor array: Is composed of optical(view over 99% of the spectrum), radiation(virtually anything thats radiated is detected), subspace(very primitive and virtually incapable of detecting anyhting in subspace or hyperspace that isn't at least the size of a large city).

Armament: none

Shields: intense gravity fields geared to move objects around the ship.

history/backstory

It was developed and built in secret by a group of scientists that had no connection with or affiliation with the stargate program or alien races. It was meant to explore the solar system in its entirety(as well as putting other's experiments into space). It was designed to operate in virtually any large medium(except for underground) including underwater.

I hope this is interesting for you guys/girls.

Default Re: New Ship Thread

Fusion with Uranium? You mean Fission with Uranium or Fusion with lighter materials?

To start a fusion process in Uranium you need to put more energy in than what you get out of the fusion process.

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    Fusion with Uranium? You mean Fission with Uranium or Fusion with lighter materials?

To start a fusion process in Uranium you need to put more energy in than what you get out of the fusion process.
    Oh didn't know that, thanks for telling me I'll edit that and just put something a bit more fusionable in.

By the way what materials are fusion-able?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Froggy
    Oh didn't know that, thanks for telling me I'll edit that and just put something a bit more fusionable in.

By the way what materials are fusionable?
    There are several hydrogen isotopes which are fusionable; deuterium is one.
    "I'm not crazy. I just have another consciousness in my brain."

Firefly/Serenity Fans checkout:
    http://www.intotheblack.ca/
    Click ME >>>> My 3d Models" <<<<Click ME

Second Lieutenant Milleniumlance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OculusMortis
    thats what they use in Star Trek..

Some interesting things here. I've always liked the technology aspect of SG, but rather than add another ship design, I thought I'd introduce some things that weren't thought of.

Rail guns:
    Railguns are already under development by the Navy. Basically, a projectile accelerated by electro-magnatism, along a pair of "rails" (think train tracks). The advantage is not needing gunpowder to accelerate a projectile. The disadvantage is building the right type of projectile. It has to be effected by magnets, and yet not melt and fuse to the rails due to the power flowing through them. This really limits what you make out of. So far, the best candidates for projectiles are based on tungsten.

In short, adding things like inertia dampeners and other special things will really screw with the physics. The best that could be added, is probably a trinium tip, to give more puncture power. Remember also, ammo needs to be cheap. You start adding frills, and the cost skyrockets. KISS, or Keep It Simple Stupid.

But what really surprises me, is why SG, an Air Force show, doesn't take into account weapons that the Air Force is actively developing: Lasers and Particle Beam Weapons.

Lasers:
    There was an article awhile back that showed how the Air Force was going to put solid-state lasers on fighters, in order to shoot down missiles, and you may have heard of the ongoing Airborne Laser program, which aims to put a powerful Megawatt-class chemical laser on a modified Boeing 747, and shoot down ICBMs.

There are many different types of lasers, but the kind that most intrigued me was the Free Electron Laser. Mostly being developed by the Navy, for mounting on ships to shoot down missiles and planes, it's main advantage is tunability. With a Naquada generator for power, it could be quite an effective weapon. However, true lasers have an invisible beam, which wouldn't make for very exciting space combat (we want to see red or green lasers!). But invisible lasers would be a nice advantage in that you wouldn't know where the attack was coming from.

But for the purposes of Stargate, they could develop a different type of laser that actually has color.

It's main advantage would be shooting down projectiles (a sort of point defense system) and shooting down fast moving fighters. As a disadvantage, the laser would need several seconds of "dwell time" on the target, to deliver it's full potential. And it wouldn't deliver near as much power vs. a shielded mothership like a Ha'tak, as a missile would. Also, it would overheat if kept on too long, so would require cooldown time.

For that, we get to the other energy weapon: Particle Beam Weapons. For the laymen, such a weapon would look much like a lightning bolt, using billions of atoms as "bullets".

The last I heard of the Air Force's research into this, they had constructed a particle accelerator to study the weapon potential, called RADLAC. And RADLAC II was under construction which would have been much bigger. This was at least a decade or two ago, though. My guess is, the research went secret. However, the type of weapon they were considered was a neutral particle beam consisting of hydrogen atoms, accelerated along a looong barrel (think 1-2 miles). I'm hoping that with what we've learned with alien tech, and power generation from Naquada and Naquadria, we can shorten that. Still, such a weapon would run the length of the ship, with the barrel on the front.

It's main use would be vs. other capital ships, but would require that the firing ship's nose actually be pointed at it's target. However, since particle beam weapons are another speed-of-light weapon (like lasers), it wouldn't have to be pointed at the enemy very long.

Disadvantages: As I said, such a weapon, to have the kind of power needed, would need to run the length of the ship. Longer the barrel, the more power to the weapon. Longer barrel = more accelerators placed along it = more acceleration of particles. Also, a neutral particle beam wouldn't work so well in an atmosphere (for that, you'd need a charged particle beam, a whole 'nother ball of wax).

Bottom Line:

So my idea for a ship using energy weapons, would be a single powerful neutral particle beam weapon for capitol ships, and lasers for defense and anti-fighter defense. Missiles would be a few tubes for launching standard large naquada nukes, but also a smaller MRLS (Multiple Rocket Launch System). Since the biggest problem of missile is their tendancy to be shot down, why not launch a whole slew of smaller ones? I'm thinking 12 smaller ones at once, which arc into the target from varying trajectories. I'd forgo using railguns altogether.

A Destroyer Class, with only a small bay for holding a 2-4 ships. Either fighters, puddle jumpers, the Goauld cargo ships, or other various small craft. It's main role is to protect the Carrier, that lacks weaponary like a particle beam or a lot of missiles, and instead carries a lot of fighters. The fighters would be upgraded to carry a smaller railgun with trinium tipped projectiles, as well as solid-state laser, for longer-lasting capability against other fighters. Their main role would be fly close to a capitol ship to deliver missiles at near point-blank range, to minimize risk of missile shootdown.

Intriguing and practical. Railguns are more effective when employed against relatively "soft" targets, such as those we have on our own planet. Which is why the US Navy is developing them in the first place.

Nice article, overall. So, how about a ship design making use of your conclusions?

First Lieutenant

Actually railguns are not that good of a weapon, since with each shot the rails are severaly damaged. A coilgun design is much longer lasting.
    However, a coilgun does not sound as cool as railgun and the general public has no clue what a coilgun is, but knows from other scifi wht a railgun is.
    therefore railgun is used a sname.

Well, they're what we've got for now. Lasers (or pulse lasers) would be my prefered point-defense weapons system. Being able to "spray" an area and keep it clean of enemy fighters and missiles, as well as being able to intercept (potentially) enemy weapons fire. One energy blast against another, right?

Though with shields, that seems rather wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by OculusMortis
    Thanks. I updated my technical stuff.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
    Well, they're what we've got for now. Lasers (or pulse lasers) would be my prefered point-defense weapons system. Being able to "spray" an area and keep it clean of enemy fighters and missiles, as well as being able to intercept (potentially) enemy weapons fire. One energy blast against another, right?

Though with shields, that seems rather wasteful.
    Well, the goa'uld blasts can be intercepted by energy weapons fire. The replicator did so in the battle with aphoisis ship in 501 enemies.

True. However, our lasers wouldn't be anywhere near Replicator strength.

Oh, and here is a drawing of the Tollan Gladius-class cruiser. It is very small, as capital ships go-Even smaller than an Al'Kesh. But very maneuverable, and very powerful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

True. However, our lasers wouldn't be anywhere near Replicator strength.

Oh, and here is a drawing of the Tollan Gladius-class cruiser. It is very small, as capital ships go-Even smaller than an Al'Kesh. But very maneuverable, and very powerful.
    Wow that's a pretty cool design. Do you have bottom, left-side, right-side, back, and front views on it as well?

PS also how do you put those thumbnails into your post?

Alas, no. The ship essentially resembles a sword from different angles-Harkening back to the Tollan's ancestors, the Romans.

Alas, no. The ship essentially resembles a sword from different angles-Harkening back to the Tollan's ancestors, the Romans.
    Oh. Darn I think that would have been really cool if you did have those but I guess one has to draw the line somewhere.

I was focused on getting the image out fast.

In any event, here is the final design of the Abydos. Tech specs and final history will be along soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Joshua Talon; March 7th, 2006 at 09:14 AM.

I was focused on getting the image out fast.

In any event, here is the final design of the Abydos. Tech specs and final history will be along soon.
    Nice . though it does remind me of a yacht somewhat.

Lieutenant Colonel freyr's mother's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Froggy
    though it does remind me of a yacht somewhat

I got that feeling too.

The first one looks like the daedalus.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

if anybodys played the game, "HomeWorld 2"

i think the Battle Cruser from that game would kick ass

MS-301
    Dimensions
    Decks- 55
    Withd- 265
    Length- 500

Crew
    Command Deck- 25
    Medical Unit- 10
    Ship Security- 200
    Engineers- 100
    Total- 335

Ship Capacity
    2,500 people minus crew

Power
    1 Singularity Reactor (uses an artificial blackhole trapped in electromagnetic field as energy)
    Asgard Class Reactors (backup)

Propulsion
    Singularity Drive (Stargate speed hyperspace travel)
    Hyperdrive Window Generator
    FTL Drive
    Ionis Sublight Drive
    Anti-Gravity Wave Drive

Shielding
    Shields- Asgard Shield Generators
    Cloaking Device
    Hull- Triple Titanium-Trinium Alloy Hull

Weapons
    Gravity Bombs (forms a blackhole that lasts for a few seconds)
    Coil Guns (use magnetic coils instead of rails)
    Naquada Laced Coil Gun Shells
    Charged Particle Cannons
    Missles
    Naquada Nukes

Other Tech
    Subspace Communications Array
    Asgard Beaming
    Rings