Page 2 of 673 FirstFirst 123451252102502 ... LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant Publius Aemilius Aper's Avatar

Default Re: New Ship Thread

I am aware of that thread, however it's gone on for a veery long time and noone will want to read through 11 pages b4 they get to the actual posting. It's time to start fresh, with new ideas. There have been some very good ones so far.
    Semper Vigilans!

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9...37187fl2wj.jpg

Play www.stargatewars.com
    +
    Join the Adeptus Astartes

^__^ Thank you, all. I thought that the Abydos might be, well... Too dull, as compared to the bigger ships. But, ship-design is about more than just size, engines, and weapons.

Originally, I envisioned the Abydos as a space-faring version of the DD(X)-class destroyer, as shown here:

DD(X)

DD(X) From Above

DD(X) At Night

As you can see, it's sharp, angular design is geared towards stealth and simplicity of construction. It rides low in the water and is built with a variety of radar, heat, and sound negating materials, further enhancing it's low-observability. Since this is a new ship design, and several test hulls have been built by the Navy, it seemed the most likely candidate for the foundation for a space-faring starship built by the USN.

The "pilothouse" (the superstructure) on the Abydos' final design is supposed to be almost an exact replica of the pilothouse on the DD(X). Rather than having a helicopter hangar at the back of the pilothouse, however, I felt that making multi-purpose bays on the underside of the ship would make the ship relatively cheaper, since you would be able to use the same two bays for everything, from weapons drops to shuttle deployment.

Upon further reflection, incorporating the DD(X)'s Peripheral Vertial Launch System (PVLS) into the Abydos would also save money on R&D. This new system keeps missile launchers in the outer sections of the hull, and spaced apart so as to prevent a catastrophic explosion if the ship is hit in it's missile bays. If the missiles are not all grouped together in one place, the ship has a better chance to survive a direct hit.

PVLS Diagram

The Navy has already developed practical rail gun technology-Nowhere as advanced as Stargate's rail guns, but rail guns nevertheless, which the DD(X) is intended to employ. Ergo, again, the DD(X)'s basic technologies are better suited to being transferred to space-borne use. Obviously, converting a water-based ship into a starship is costly, expensive, and well, stupid. But the basic design and technology can be utilized without having to come up with an entirely-new vessel.

It would be cool if someone could convert this idea into a 3D model, once the final design is established, as I do not have access to 3D art software. But, that's up to you guys. I would be happy just if someone used my idea for a ship in a fanfiction or RPG (with permission of course).

Anyway, I'll be posting my revised design and technology of the Abydos in this thread for a while. If anyone would like to make suggestions or submit an idea to be included in the ship's final design, you are free to do so. ^__^ We could make this something of a forum project, if you guys wanted to.

Because of the on going threats of the Ori, The Wraith, and Baal, Earth has designed a new class to be use as a mothership. It is dubbed MS-301 Posieden.

Two years since the construction of the Deadalus and Oddessy BCs, Earth constructed this ship. It is based of the studies of Ha'taks given to use by the Free Jaffa Nation, captured Hive Ships, and Ancient designs found on the Atlantian Repository of Knowlegde.

MS-301 Posieden Class:
    Size:
    Length: 2.5km
    Width: 1.25km
    Hieght: .5km
    Decks: about 50
    Weight: 2500 tons
    Crew: 250
    Capacity: 5000
    Power
    3 ZPMs
    Asgard Reactor
    Propulsion
    Twin Ancient Hyperdrive Window Drive
    Asguard Hyperdrive Window Drive (backup)
    Ion-Based Sublight Drive
    Anti-Gravity Wave Generator
    Defensive
    EM Wave Anti Ship/Missile Shield (all Earth and friendy-ship equiped with shielding)
    Ancient Shielding
    Steel Reinforced Double Trinium Hull
    Offensive Weapons
    2500 Ancient Drones
    Ion Energy Beams
    Ha'Tak Energy Beam
    10 GateBuster
    100 Frontal Rail Gun Turrets
    200 Rear Rail Gun Turrets
    1500 Side Rail Gun Turrets
    50 Naquada Nuke Missiles
    50 Hellfire 2 Orbit to Surface Missiles
    Hanger
    2 Deadalus Class BCs
    10 F-302 Squadrons
    25 Puddle Jumpers
    Other Technology
    Asgard Beaming Technology
    Ancient Deep Space Radar
    Ancient Sub-Space Radio
    Rings
    Last edited by deadman; March 3rd, 2006 at 05:01 PM.

... Um... Have you heard of overkill?

Besides, where could you BUILD this thing?!

It is a mothership and all nations on Earth plus the Asgard help in construction. Only a few would be built.

Even Gou'ald motherships weren't this big... This is essentially building our own version of Atlantis. Why would we need to build something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
    Even Gou'ald motherships weren't this big... This is essentially building our own version of Atlantis. Why would we need to build something like that?
    Because Atlantas got owned by the Wraith in season 1.

Bigger does not translate to better. This is a monster. This is simply ridiculous.

Bigger does not translate to better. This is a monster. This is simply ridiculous.
    I disagree. Imagine Earth has to go up against the entire Wraith or Ori Armada with the Oddessy and Deadalus. They would get they're ass kicked. With this, they would stand a chance.

Hey! Daedalus was doing pretty well against the Wraith Armada. If they hadn't found a way to jam our Asgard beaming technology, we'd have finished them off.

As for the Ori, I doubt we could build something this big in time.

Hey! Daedalus was doing pretty well against the Wraith Armada. If they hadn't found a way to jam our Asgard beaming technology, we'd have finished them off.

As for the Ori, I doubt we could build something this big in time.
    They only were facing 6 ship and they got beaten in the end.

Try FOURTEEN Hive ships. They wouldn't have been beaten if the Wraith hadn't jammed our transporter tech. We'd have kicked their asses.

Try FOURTEEN Hive ships. They wouldn't have been beaten if the Wraith hadn't jammed our transporter tech. We'd have kicked their asses.
    The Wraith were caught off guard, it wouldn't work twice.

First Lieutenant Kip_Cathey_Furlings_are_Cats's Avatar

Down boys...

I think that the existing ships are quite good for now. All they really need to do is put them all in the same place, maybe make a few more. I mean, the Wraith won by sheer numbers! So, the logical conclusion is...

OUTNUMBER THEM!!!

The Hippo; a transport ship I created for use in the Stargate RPG.

C-304 Hippo Hyperspace Transport

Dimensions:
    Length: 95m
    Beam: 42m (Wingspan 85m)
    Height: 40m
    Crew: 2 (1 Pilot and 1 Navigator/W.O.)
    Additional Occupancy: 14/64*
    Mass: 26 metric tons
    Cargo Capacity: 15 metric tons

Offence:
    2x 13.6mm Railguns
    1x Dual .50 cal Point Defence Turret
    4x Standard missile Hardpoints (usually loaded with BIM-52a missiles)

Defence:
    Energy Shield (reduced in size and power from the Daedalus class ships)
    Chaff & Flares
    Full ECM and ECCM suite
    Ablative Trinium plating

Power:
    3x Mk.2 Naquadah Generators

Propulsion:
    Anti-Gravity System (Allowing the ship to VTOL and hover)
    Ion-Engines
    Type 4 Naquadriah Hyperdrive (with Goddard Buffer)

The ship has living quarters and is capable of sustaining a crew of 16 for 60 days.
    *The cargo hold is pressured and is capable of carrying 50 men for short period of time in cramped conditions, or a Challenger 2 Tank.

I have Floorplans somewhere and may post them.....if i can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip_Cathey_Furlings_are_Cats
    Down boys...

I think that the existing ships are quite good for now. All they really need to do is put them all in the same place, maybe make a few more. I mean, the Wraith won by sheer numbers! So, the logical conclusion is...

OUTNUMBER THEM!!!
    well, that isn't practical, overpower them!!!!!

And outsmart them.

Super-battleships are all well and good, but they involve a LOT of resources and R&D, not to mention time and effort, to construct. I'm not saying we shouldn't build some "superships", so to speak, to engage enemy fleets and be able to emerge victorious, but those kinds of ships take years to build, and are total nightmares to supply and maintain.

Smaller vessels that don't have the whole "all eggs in one basket" approach are much more practical and cost-efficient. Big, capital ships need support from lots of medium and small ships, because since it's one big target, if it acts alone it could be overwhelmed.

More Daedalus-class vessels, more destroyer and cruiser-type ships, and a couple big battleships and carriers are a lot more flexible than building huge, super-battleships and that's it.

And the Asgard's approach to warfare is very different from ours. They don't require fighters, or large support vessels. It's just not how they fight. Adjusting our military doctrine to fit another race's, when it's not what we need to do, is just foolish.

And outsmart them.

Super-battleships are all well and good, but they involve a LOT of resources and R&D, not to mention time and effort, to construct. I'm not saying we shouldn't build some "superships", so to speak, to engage enemy fleets and be able to emerge victorious, but those kinds of ships take years to build, and are total nightmares to supply and maintain.

Smaller vessels that don't have the whole "all eggs in one basket" approach are much more practical and cost-efficient. Big, capital ships need support from lots of medium and small ships, because since it's one big target, if it acts alone it could be overwhelmed.

More Daedalus-class vessels, more destroyer and cruiser-type ships, and a couple big battleships and carriers are a lot more flexible than building huge, super-battleships and that's it.

And the Asgard's approach to warfare is very different from ours. They don't require fighters, or large support vessels. It's just not how they fight. Adjusting our military doctrine to fit another race's, when it's not what we need to do, is just foolish.
    My approach is simple, you build one of my ships, which if you read it, has EMP Wave shield so ships not equiped with a shield (eg, non earth ships) are unable to engage. Then build about 8 more Deadalus Class ships. Build 5 Prometheus Class Ships. And build 1500 more F-302s.

Lieutenant Colonel ussrelativity's Avatar

All right! More detailed ship idea threads!

I'll be back in a while with an idea of my own (I use a 56K )

Anyway, I'll be back in about within the hour with some specs.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by deadman
    MS-301 Posieden Class:
    Size:
    Length: 2.5km
    Width: 1.25km
    Hieght: .5km
    Decks: 15
    Weight: 2500 tons
    Crew: 250
    Capacity: 1500
    What kind of stupid values are that?
    That is even worse then webbers styropor ships.
    That thing is made out of vacuum.
    and 33m tall decks?
    Did the crystall skull aliens build that thing?