Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We ask, and then we get, more stand alone episodes for season 10!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We ask, and then we get, more stand alone episodes for season 10!

ok so this is good news to my ears, the fact we are going to get more stand alone episodes for the upcomming season 10, i do like a good sequel and a good story arc, but i think the past 2 seasons has took the idea of sequel and follow up episodes to the limit, a series of stand alone episodes will in my view bring the show back to its routes like way back when it started off, i could not be more pleased by the fact, so what do you think, do you fans like this new turn of events or have you become acustom to long story lines that span the present series?
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

I like connected episodes, it is interesting to follow a story arc. The episodes are so short themselves, around 40 min, so it is hard to create a stand alone episode with some quality I think. Better to try tie it all together, so we get like a long movie. But variety is good, so a nice balance of story and standalone eps are to prefer. All that requires good scripts from the writers of course, and I feel the quality has not been too high this season. Hopefully season 10 will be more exciting.

Comment

I liked stand alone episodes in earlier seasons but given the ever increasing danger, it seems less realistic with each new season that they are just exploring for the sake of exploring. Also, they are already repeating ideas so stand alone episodes outside the arc mostly seem like new twists on old plots.

Episodic plots seem more and more like an excuse to ignore unresolved details that should carry over from previous episodes but never do.

The Ori, however, are such a huge threat that any more than a single episode that has nothing to do with them is too much; not because I like the Ori that much but because they are super-powerful ascended beings who build supergates and have plans to convert or kill an entire galaxy....seems like something to worry about constantly. It's very much an "oh god oh god, we're all going to die" kind of thing.
      Last edited by MarshAngel; 02 March 2006, 12:56 PM.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
        ok so this is good news to my ears, the fact we are going to get more stand alone episodes for the upcomming season 10, i do like a good sequel and a good story arc, but i think the past 2 seasons has took the idea of sequel and follow up episodes to the limit, a series of stand alone episodes will in my view bring the show back to its routes like way back when it started off, i could not be more pleased by the fact, so what do you think, do you fans like this new turn of events or have you become acustom to long story lines that span the present series?
        I think a few independent epidsodes would be good to the show, they can use them to open up new sub plots and close some of the old ones, cyrstal skull aliens for an idea. Also with more stand alone episodes their more of a chance to show how the galexy have change after the defeat of the gould. I just have the idea that now that the gould are gone certain races have been expanding the terrectory, the grace aliens and foothold aliens and perhaps the aschen, I think the writer get chance if they choose to take it to show a more dyamic galexy with a lot more alien races out their.

Comment

I like both stand-alone and arc-related stories on SG-1. Both kinds of episodes are great in their own way. The main story-arc eps help progress the show. Which is, of course, crucial ( like I had to tell you that ) . But the stand-alone eps are great at breaking things up a little. Also, they allow people who may not be die-hard fans of the show to sit down and enjoy an ep without feeling lost rather quickly.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

i do like a good story arc but stand alone episodes are a refreshing splash of water in the face, i have to admit though that many stand alone episodes such as "icon" and "coveneant" don't do anything for the character side of things where as episodes like "rekoning part 1 and 2 and theads" do a damn good thing for them, and i also would like to see some old episodes that left the door open for a sequel episode later down the show such as the Aschen and so on be wrapped up, i think TPTB had a great thing going when they did that spreading all three episodes across season 2 season 4 and 5 with the aschen.

1] Season 2, 1969: i admit not centred around the aschen but the reason whey the second two eps came to be, time travel that was.

2] Season 4, 2010: a peek into a disturbing future and agin the gate is used in the same fashion than 1969.

3] Season 5, 2001: the follow up the the effects of time travel and the original event that started the whole thing going.

for me this was a perfect example of 3 sequel episodes that were stand alone but picked up later on to the enjoyment of the fans, i hope to see more but as far as for example the "crystal skull" aliens go we may never know what happened to them and dannys grandpa, more to the pity as we have seen how good stand alone episodes can be....sigh.....
            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Mackan
              I like connected episodes, it is interesting to follow a story arc. The episodes are so short themselves, around 40 min, so it is hard to create a stand alone episode with some quality I think. Better to try tie it all together, so we get like a long movie. But variety is good, so a nice balance of story and standalone eps are to prefer. All that requires good scripts from the writers of course, and I feel the quality has not been too high this season. Hopefully season 10 will be more exciting.

Ghost in the Shell SAC does it in20minutes to great effect

Comment

Id like some stand alone eps, but not to much, like somebody said earlier it would be to unrealistic with the threat of the ori,

They could make it where the begining its ori realated, but the real conflict, which would be revealed very early in the ep, it ends up being not ori realated, that would make sense

And i want to see some of the alien races that have been showed before

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                  1] Season 2, 1969: i admit not centred around the aschen but the reason whey the second two eps came to be, time travel that was.

2] Season 4, 2010: a peek into a disturbing future and agin the gate is used in the same fashion than 1969.

3] Season 5, 2001: the follow up the the effects of time travel and the original event that started the whole thing going.
                  Actually, 1969 had little to nothing to do with the Aschen Story Arc.... It was just a reference in the episode 2010.

It was suppose to be: 2010, 2001 and Judgement. Judgement was an episode that was suppose to be produced during the 7th Season, but never was. It was suppose to follow up on O'Neill giving the Aschen horrible gate addresses (which would result in countless deaths).

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
                    Actually, 1969 had little to nothing to do with the Aschen Story Arc.... It was just a reference in the episode 2010.

It was suppose to be: 2010, 2001 and Judgement. Judgement was an episode that was suppose to be produced during the 7th Season, but never was. It was suppose to follow up on O'Neill giving the Aschen horrible gate addresses (which would result in countless deaths).

Mattathias
                    well actually the idea of 1969 was one of them ideas that was made into an episode in the thought of actually applying it to a future episode, i know it dosen't focus on the aschen at all but if it wasen't for that episode then 2010 and 2001 including judgement would never have been an idea worth investing in and exicuting to make an episode on screen.
                    TPTB finally revised the 1969 episode idea in a new idea concerning a horrible fate that the idea could solve by time travel and 2001 was the conssequences of that effect, judgement would have been the consequence of 2001 where the aschen accuse earth of killing many aschen citizens in an asgard tribunal or something along those lines, pity it fell through

Comment

I like the idea of stand alown episodes , it's too unrealistic that every gate they should dial should have been visited by the Ori or already know off the Tauri.
                      Like others have said just because they are stand alown doesn't mean they can't make a contribution to the story arc or create additional storylines through the seasons.
                      Support Stargate and Stargate Atlantis to be made avalaible via i-tunes, write your support on this thread and vote in the poll to get Sony to put the show on i-tunes.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23944

Comment

I would like to see more story arc or at least more two-partners (4-4 in the new seasons).
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Stand alone episodes are only worth the time if they are used to develop the characters, because they by definition do nothing for the storyline. If the episode doesn't take the opportunity to develop characters in ways that are denied in multi-episode arcs, then it's just wasted air space. We've witnessed many examples of this in SG1 S9 and SGA S2, so it's quite disheartening to me to hear they'll be doing MORE stupid bottle episodes in the future.

Comment

If they are going with a few more stand-alone eps, I hope that some of them will explore some of the technology we've picked up over the years. There's a lot of hardware being studied in Area 51 and new tech being developed. I confess I enjoy seeing the episodes where SG1 screws up with some piece of alien tech.

Comment

here is a list of my prefered stand alone episode, based on story and character developments, the most profound and exceptional stand alone eps by the way:

Red Sky: Carter screwed up, jack got hairy, the stargate was named anulus, and the asgard were seen as more god like and odd!!

Fift man: jack showed us his non giving up side, the alien helped SG1 and the tok'ra with that poision that wiped the minds of many a Goa'uld.

Abyss: jack was good, sam was sad, Ba'al was devilishly evil, danny was not so helpful but a good friend.

Changling: same as above, tretonin was devised, teal'c was shown humility, sam did not much, janet was more in line with ER and jack showed a look of worry for once, Apophis was well lets just say usual eyeliner, oh and danny was brilliant.

Message in a bottle: ah you may think WTH its crap, but this episode was the first example of teal'c's first ever comming outta his shell episode, with jokes and the bonding of jacks friendship with him, he rest was just blue and nausiating lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X