Stargate Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Timeline

I was watching the 6th season episode 'Frozen' again recently, and I started paying closer attention to the estimated dates given in the show. According to the show, Ayiana (the frozen Ancient) was at least 3 Million years old, and since we know from the Pilot episode of SG: Atlantis that she was present when the city left Antartica, this also places the estimated time of departure of Atlantis from Earth around the same time.

Another date stated in the episode, is that the Antartic Stargate (being estimated as one of the oldest stargates in the network) was around 50 Million years old. If Earth was indeed the first world the Ancients colonized upon arrival in our galaxy after the schism between them and the Ori, then that date may also be when the Ancients arrived in our galaxy.

(Edit: I've decided to add some new stuff based on others' timelines. I want to give due credit to YodaMate and Noneareleft. I used both of their timelines as a reference in this edit.)

c. 65 Million years BC
    - Estimated time of the extinction of the dinosaurs and the rise of mammals.

c. 55 to 50 Million years BC
    - At some point during this time a schism occured in the 'alien' culture that eventually became known as the Ori and Alteran civilizations. The Alterans were the proginitor race that was responsible for the evolution of humankind on Earth. It is known that the schism had something to do with control over the future of their race. The Ori believed that everyone should seek ascension, even against their will. The Alterans believed that people should be allowed to choose their own path. It is unkown if the Alterans left of their own volition, or they were forced out by the Ori. Ultimately, they were unable to gap their differences and the Alterans left their home to begin a new civilization.

c. 50 Million years BC
    - Estimated time of arrival of the Ancients to this galaxy, and subsequent colonization of Earth (called Avalon by them) and construction of the first Stargate in Antartica. The Alterans eventually became known as 'the Ancients'. At some point they formed an Alliance with three other races, known as 'The Great Alliance'. It is doubtful that it was for defensive purposes since the Alterans were far ahead of any other race in terms of technology. It was most likely an alliance built on mutual respect, as a testament to their shared values. It is not known why the alliance was dissolved except for the loss of the Ancients. It may be that it was the Ancients that held it together, and with their departure the alliance had little reason to continue.

c. 30 Million years BC
    - The world of Proclarus Taonis was abandoned because the planet could no longer sustain life as a result of its aging sun.
    - Atlantis was constructed by this time on Earth in modern day Antartica
    - ZPM's were in use by this time.

c. 3 Million years BC
    - Minimum estimated age of Aiyana (from "Frozen"), and estimated time of the departure of Atlantis from Antartica.
    - Estimated time of departure of Atlantis to the Milky Way galaxy.

c. 3 to 1 Million years BC
    - The last of the Ancients still in the Milky Way either died off or learned to ascend.
    - The failed Time Loop device was constructed and finally abandoned.
    - *It is possible the Dakara device was built during this time, but it could have been earlier.
    - Atlantis arrived in the Pegasus Galaxy and began to seed human life on various worlds.

c. 1 Million to 100,000 years BC
    - Re-seeded life on the worlds effected by the Dakara device began to evolve and develop civilizations. It is doubtful that EVERY world in the Milky Way was effected as that would've killed the Nox, the Furlings, and possibly others. The vast majority of these worlds probably did NOT evolve human-form beings, but did at least alter the worlds ecology to be able to support human life. This may also explain why so many aliens are of humanoid shape.

c. 30,000 years BC
    - The Asgard launched a 'Sleeper' ship from their homeworld. However, there was a failure in the ships navigation system and the ship was lost. It drifted for 30,000 years until it was discovered by the Asgard, who used it in hopes of reclaiming some of their genetic history to save their race.

c. 9,000 years BC
    - A war broke out on the world of 'Altaire'. About 1,000 survivors used an underground refuge to survive and transfered their conscious minds to android bodies. It is unclear if the humans of Altaire were descended from Earth, or if they were in fact a parallel track of humanity.

c. 8,100 years BC
    - The beginning of the war in the Pegasus galaxy between the Lanteans (Alterans) and the Wraith begins.

c. 8,000 years BC
    - Time of the return of the Atlanteans to Earth from Atlantis in the Pegasus Galaxy. The Ancients returned to Earth finding nothing but primitive human societies. With no hope of rebuilding their civilization, many lived in solitude and meditation until they ascended. Some made their way to the Stargate in Antartica to leave Earth. Others went to live among the primitive humans to help them in their development. This is undoubtedly how many humans ended up with the Ancient gene.
    - This is the estimated time of arrival of Ra on Earth. Ra and the other Goa'uld found several primitive civilizations and took over the identities of their gods. This caused the down fall of several of those civilizations including the ancient S. American Olmecs. The Goa'uld began seeding worlds all over the galaxy with humans through the Stargate.
    - The Jaffa are created by means of genetically altering strong human specimens to serve as the Goa'uld's personal armies and incubators for the larval form of their young.

*On a side note, it is worth mentioning that in very real legends from among the ancient peoples from all over the Earth, are mentioned good 'gods' who came to various peoples teaching them the skills of civilization, such as farming, husbandry, architecture, roads, etc. "The builders of Roads"...

c. 3,340 years BC
    - The alien Omoroca comes to Earth in an attempt to defeat the Goa'uld. Although she manages to resist them for a time, she is ultimately killed by the goa'uld Ba'al (then called Belus).

c. 3,000 years BC
    - An alternate SG-1 team steals a ZPM from Ra. The ZPM is buried in a place they know it will be found, near when they left their own time.
    - The first uprising against the Goa'uld ends in failure, with most of the alternate SG-1 team being killed except Dr. Jackson.
    - The Sodan, a rebel Jaffa faction, turn against the Goa'uld, but fail to inspire a larger uprising.

c. 2,995 years BC
    - The second uprising attempt against the Goa'uld is successful. This attempt was led by a second alternate team of SG-1, minus Dr. Jackson who was killed. They then continue to live their lives out, presumeably on Earth.
    - The Stargate is buried, until its discovery 5,000 years later.
    - The Goa'uld Seth remains behind on Earth hiding from the System Lords, until he was killed by SG-1.

*It should be noted here, that although Ra left Earth, the Goa'uld continued to visit Earth from time to time. However, they never again used Earth as a major stronghold and even when they did come to Earth, they didn't stay for long. Eventually they abandoned Earth entirely, not bothering to visit for nearly a millenium.

c. 360 years BC
    - Plato writes about Atlantis, which he learned from the Egyptians.

c. 1 year AD
    - The Goa'uld Queen Egeria, rebels against the System Lords and establishes the Tok'Ra.
    - Estimated time that Hathor was imprisoned in a sarcophagus within a Mayan temple.

c. 500 AD
    - The ascended Ancient, Moros (former leader of Atlantis), returns to his original human form keeping as much knowledge and power from his time as an ascended being as he could. He then takes the name of Merlin, and recruits a cadre of followers to help him in his attempt to build a weapon capable of destroying ascended beings. He realized that the Ori would someday become a major threat to all life in the galaxy including the ascended ancients.
    - Merlin takes some humans from Earth to several other worlds establishing new colonies to continue helping him in his work. The people of the world in 'Demons' may have been one of those colonies.
    - The leader of Merlin's followers, Arthur (son of the Roman Emperor Constantine), hides a treasure under Glastonbury. This included an Ancient History Book, and an Ancient communication device later responsible for tipping the Ori to human life in the Milky Way.

c. 400 to 1,000 AD
    - The Asgard Thor creates several human colonies, by taking people from Earth. He establishes a few dozen worlds giving them a protective device known as 'Thor's Hammer' to keep the Goa'uld from invading.
    - The Asgard establish the 'Protected Planets Treaty' with the Goa'uld. Later, the Asgard convinced the Goa'uld to allow Earth to be included.

1928 AD
    - Time of discovery of the Stargate in Giza by Dr. Langford.

c. 1930 AD
    - During the height of Nazi power, a german archaeological team discovers a working DHD. Uncertain of what they found, they shipped it secretly to Germany.

c. 1945 AD
    - Time of accidental activation of the stargate by the team doing experiments on the gate, led by Drs. Langford and Littlefield. It was Dr. Littlefield that first theorized that the stargate was in fact a transportation device of some sort. His departure through the stargate and presumed death led to the shutdown of the program.
    - The Russian military found the DHD in Germany near the end of World War II, and secretly took it back to the Soviet Union.

1947 AD
    - An Asgard spacecraft crashes in Roswell, New Mexico. The military covers up the incident out of fear, because as yet first contact with the Asgard had not been made.
    - The Asgard Loki, was known to be abducting human beings in an attempt to discover if human DNA could be used to correct Asgard sterility. This continued to happen for nearly five decades (possibly longer), until he was discovered by the Asgard High Council, and stopped. As a result he lost his position in the Asgard government. It is possible that the crash in Roswell was related to Loki's experiments.

1971 AD
    - Nicholas Ballard was exploring a Mayan temple in Belize, and discovered a crystal skull that transported him to an alien world. He is returned soon after, and barely escapes the destruction of the temple with the skull. Although his discovery of the skull is highly acclaimed, he is ridiculed for his story going with it. As a result he eventually spends years in a pyschiatric hospital under his own volition, until he returns to the alien world with SG-1, and his grandson Dr. Jackson.

1995-96 AD
    - The Stargate was reopened upon the successful deciphering of the coverstones by Dr. Jackson, under the team led by Dr. Katherine Langford (Daughter of archaeologist Dr. Langford). The first mission through the Stargate to Abydos was then led by Col. Jack O'Neill. Dr. Jackson stayed behind on Abydos, and lived among the primitive Abydonian people for over a year, with his native wife Sha're.

1997 AD
    - As a result of an incursion through the stargate by the Goa'uld Apophis, another team led by Col. O'Neill is sent back to Abydos. There they find that Dr. Jackson has discovered a starmap of Stargate addresses, enabling routine missions through the stargate to worlds throughout the galaxy.

***The rest of the list would essentially be season by season overview, starting with the 1st season between 1997-98, and onward to present. I think it is an interesting start anyways. It certainly gives you a sense of the scope of history covered in the Stargate universe.
    Last edited by Seastallion; 19 September 2006, 09:27 AM. Reason: New Information
    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Originally posted by Seastallion
    8,000 years BC- Time of the uprising against Ra on Earth, and the subsequent burial of the stargate in Giza.
    Actually, it was 10,000 years ago (8,000 BC) that the Ancients returned from Atlantis and is also when the majority of them ascended, and the weapon on Dakara was used (at least, that's my understanding). So it seems that a lot happened within a few centuries.

It was also the time (according to the movie) when Ra found Earth.

From what I've seen, the rebellion against Ra happened around the time of Christ, which doesn't make much sense to me for a whole butt-load of reasons.

As far as I'm concerned, the writers have frelled up the storyline so many times that it's almost impossible to reconcile anything anymore.

Comment

Well, since the events of "Moebius" technically "did not happen", I try to pretend it never happened, and use the timeline given by Stargate: The Movie (ie, 8,000 BC being the time the rebellion against the Gou'ald taking place, which makes a lot more sense than 3,000 years ago, or 1,000 BC).

Dakara, from what we've seen the weapon do, looks like a last-ditch effort to try and stop the plague that was killing the Ancients. "Reseed", in this context, would be more like "restore", or "rebirth", indicating a revival of the Ancient civilization as a whole. Sam may have just gotten the translation a bit wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
        Actually, it was 10,000 years ago (8,000 BC) that the Ancients returned from Atlantis and is also when the majority of them ascended, and the weapon on Dakara was used (at least, that's my understanding). So it seems that a lot happened within a few centuries.

It was also the time (according to the movie) when Ra found Earth.

From what I've seen, the rebellion against Ra happened around the time of Christ, which doesn't make much sense to me for a whole butt-load of reasons.

As far as I'm concerned, the writers have frelled up the storyline so many times that it's almost impossible to reconcile anything anymore.

First, 8,000 B.C., IS 10,000 years ago... I agree that is also about the time the Atlanteans returned to Earth, which I actually have in my own timeline. The one I did here was just off the top of my head. We don't have any idea if all the Atlanteans ascended, or where they went exactly. We do know that Merlin was ascended, but he chose to retake human form sometime around the time of King Arthur, who was apparently (in the Stargate universe) the son of the Roman Emperor, Constantine.

As to the weapon on Dakara... You are WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off. That device was used to recreate life in the Milky Way galaxy after the Ancients died out from the plague around 3,000,000 years ago. If it had been used 10,000 years ago, all human life on Earth would've been wiped out, and forced to re-evolve many millions of years later. The same goes for every other world with a stargate in the Milky Way galaxy.

You are correct that Ra apparently found Earth about 10,000 years ago, around the same period that the Atlanteans returned to Earth. It was not during the time of Christ that the uprising against Ra occured however, it was actually around 3,000 BC (I had to look it up again, in a synopsis of "Moebius"), a millenia before Christ. So the storyline isn't so screwed up as you think...
        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

First, 8,000 B.C., IS 10,000 years ago...
          Yeah... we both said that. I was correcting you in that originally (as I quoted) you said 8,000 BC was the time of the uprising against Ra.

Now you've updated up your post, placed 8,000 BC as the time when Ra found Earth, and dated the rebellion at 3,000 BC (as a writer, I'd put it at c. 5,500 BC for a few reasons). Nothing wrong with editing (especially in this forum, where each edit is tagged) but....

I'm the master of the ninja edit on other forums..... it's hard to get one past me. Especially when you seem to be trying to make a monkey out of me. And like I said in my reply, the majority of the Ancients ascended at this time. As any political... well... any kind of scientist will tell you, a majority is not a totality.

As for "reseeding" being in a different context or a frelled up translation... that's always a way for them to back out of the canon they've established. Despite that, even three million years is far too short a time for life on Earth (according to the archeological record) to be reseeded.

The Dakara weapon would show up in Earth's record as a mass extinction (several have happened), but the most recent is sixty-five million years ago, before the Ancients showed up. Actually, some palientologists, historians, archeologists and biologists place the current era as being part of another mass extinction event.

Now, all this crap about Dakara and the rebellion are based on threads, and information mentioned in episodes that arne't Reckoning/Threads or Moebius. Reckoning 1 just aired in syndication last week, and I've yet to see pt. 2, Threads, or Moebius. My info on Ra's coming to Earth comes from the movie, of course. As for the rest of the Ancient timeline, that's come from Atlantis and SG-1 episodes I've seen that have dealt with it. Using all that, and stuff I've read here, I put the rebellion at 2,000 years ago.

If you say it happened at 1,000 BC, I'll believe you. That's much more palatable than 2,000 years ago, although still not ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
            Yeah... we both said that. I was correcting you in that originally (as I quoted) you said 8,000 BC was the time of the uprising against Ra.

Now you've updated up your post, placed 8,000 BC as the time when Ra found Earth, and dated the rebellion at 3,000 BC (as a writer, I'd put it at c. 5,500 BC for a few reasons). Nothing wrong with editing (especially in this forum, where each edit is tagged) but....

I'm the master of the ninja edit on other forums..... it's hard to get one past me. Especially when you seem to be trying to make a monkey out of me. And like I said in my reply, the majority of the Ancients ascended at this time. As any political... well... any kind of scientist will tell you, a majority is not a totality.

As for "reseeding" being in a different context or a frelled up translation... that's always a way for them to back out of the canon they've established. Despite that, even three million years is far too short a time for life on Earth (according to the archeological record) to be reseeded.

The Dakara weapon would show up in Earth's record as a mass extinction (several have happened), but the most recent is sixty-five million years ago, before the Ancients showed up. Actually, some palientologists, historians, archeologists and biologists place the current era as being part of another mass extinction event.

Now, all this crap about Dakara and the rebellion are based on threads, and information mentioned in episodes that arne't Reckoning/Threads or Moebius. Reckoning 1 just aired in syndication last week, and I've yet to see pt. 2, Threads, or Moebius. My info on Ra's coming to Earth comes from the movie, of course. As for the rest of the Ancient timeline, that's come from Atlantis and SG-1 episodes I've seen that have dealt with it. Using all that, and stuff I've read here, I put the rebellion at 2,000 years ago.

If you say it happened at 1,000 BC, I'll believe you. That's much more palatable than 2,000 years ago, although still not ideal.
            Yes, I did edit my first post. I didn't try trick anyone though. I just wanted to update the timline, with information I'd just looked up. Also, I wasn't trying to make a monkey of you, I was just correcting you on certain points. I also agreed with several of your points.

As to the Dakara device (not a weapon exactly, although it can and has been used that way), we don't know precisely when it was used, or to what effect. It might've been used as a massive terraforming device, so that all the planets with stargates would end up with Earth like conditions. Or, it might've simply added genetic potentials to already existing biological forms, encouraging the evolution of human species. All we know for certain, is that the Ancients recreated human life in our galaxy ("Threads"), with or without the Dakara device. I suppose as Ascended beings, the Ancients wouldn't even need the device on Dakara. We don't even know for certain if it had ever been used before.

About the rebellion against Ra on Earth, that has been firmly established as occuring arround 3,000 BC (5,000 years ago), in "Moebius". So it wouldn't have happened during 1,000 BC at all. My bad... in my previous post I mentioned it happened a millenia before Christ... I should've said 3 Millenia before Christ. The time of Christ was around 30 AD, roughly 2,000 years ago (as you already know... ), with the rebellion happening long before that.
            Spoiler:

Comment

Yes, I did edit my first post. I didn't try trick anyone though. I just wanted to update the timline, with information I'd just looked up. Also, I wasn't trying to make a monkey of you, I was just correcting you on certain points. I also agreed with several of your points.

As to the Dakara device (not a weapon exactly, although it can and has been used that way), we don't know precisely when it was used, or to what effect. It might've been used as a massive terraforming device, so that all the planets with stargates would end up with Earth like conditions. Or, it might've simply added genetic potentials to already existing biological forms, encouraging the evolution of human species. All we know for certain, is that the Ancients recreated human life in our galaxy ("Threads"), with or without the Dakara device. I suppose as Ascended beings, the Ancients wouldn't even need the device on Dakara. We don't even know for certain if it had ever been used before.

About the rebellion against Ra on Earth, that has been firmly established as occuring arround 3,000 BC (5,000 years ago), in "Moebius". So it wouldn't have happened during 1,000 BC at all. My bad... in my previous post I mentioned it happened a millenia before Christ... I should've said 3 Millenia before Christ. The time of Christ was around 30 AD, roughly 2,000 years ago (as you already know... ), with the rebellion happening long before that.
              Well, according to our own records, the first evidence of Egyptian hieroglyph writing appeared in 3,400 BC. Now, Daniel Jackson proposed that, since the pyramids were apparently far older than first thought, it goes to reason that the Gou'ald's arrival, and the rebellion, happened much earlier. The first recorded Egyptian diary entry was in 4,241 BC-Nearly a full millenium before recognizable hieroglyphs. In "The Curse", Osirus's amulet was carbon-dated to at least 10,000 years old-Or 8,000 BC, as in the movie. Osirus, however, was unaware of the Tau'ri rebellion, leaving us with the Ancient Egyptians rising up against the Gou'ald, and then forgetting it, between 8,000 BC and 4,500 BC. However, the northern and southern kingdoms of Egypt were united under Menes, the first king of the First Dynasty, in 3,000 BC, or the original date of the rebellion according to "Moebius". And, to be honest, written records were not perfect back then by any stretch of the imagination. Menes may have been, in fact, the leader of the rebellion against the Goa'uld, and in what would become traditional Egyptian tradition, may have erased all records of the previous rulers once he became supreme.

On Atlantis:

The fact that the Ancients returned to Earth ten thousand years ago from Atlantis indicates that they had been out of the loop for a while, given that the Gou'ald were in a comparative heyday on Earth. Ergo, it stands to reason that the Gou'ald had taken advantage of the Ancient's absence and had occupied Earth sometime before 8,000 BC-Again, working with the movie.

Of course, the Gou'ald continued to oppress Earth, but in a significantly reduced capacity as the Goa'uld's interests went further and further away from us. Plus, since we had been the first planet to successfully overthrow a System Lord (and not just any system lord, but THE Supreme System Lord Ra), a lot of the Goa'uld probably decided that Earth wasn't worth it anymore.
              The Egyptians flourished for a while, until the Romans and Greeks appeared on the scene. As the civilization that kicked Ra's ass, they would have had a great deal of respect from neighboring nations, unless the Goa'uld faded into myth and obscurity.

Comment

Hmmm can I realy make a reply/rebuttl to that I think not so in that case have some green.
                I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
                  Well, according to our own records, the first evidence of Egyptian hieroglyph writing appeared in 3,400 BC. Now, Daniel Jackson proposed that, since the pyramids were apparently far older than first thought, it goes to reason that the Gou'ald's arrival, and the rebellion, happened much earlier. The first recorded Egyptian diary entry was in 4,241 BC-Nearly a full millenium before recognizable hieroglyphs. In "The Curse", Osirus's amulet was carbon-dated to at least 10,000 years old-Or 8,000 BC, as in the movie. Osirus, however, was unaware of the Tau'ri rebellion, leaving us with the Ancient Egyptians rising up against the Gou'ald, and then forgetting it, between 8,000 BC and 4,500 BC. However, the northern and southern kingdoms of Egypt were united under Menes, the first king of the First Dynasty, in 3,000 BC, or the original date of the rebellion according to "Moebius". And, to be honest, written records were not perfect back then by any stretch of the imagination. Menes may have been, in fact, the leader of the rebellion against the Goa'uld, and in what would become traditional Egyptian tradition, may have erased all records of the previous rulers once he became supreme.

On Atlantis:

The fact that the Ancients returned to Earth ten thousand years ago from Atlantis indicates that they had been out of the loop for a while, given that the Gou'ald were in a comparative heyday on Earth. Ergo, it stands to reason that the Gou'ald had taken advantage of the Ancient's absence and had occupied Earth sometime before 8,000 BC-Again, working with the movie.

Of course, the Gou'ald continued to oppress Earth, but in a significantly reduced capacity as the Goa'uld's interests went further and further away from us. Plus, since we had been the first planet to successfully overthrow a System Lord (and not just any system lord, but THE Supreme System Lord Ra), a lot of the Goa'uld probably decided that Earth wasn't worth it anymore.
                  The Egyptians flourished for a while, until the Romans and Greeks appeared on the scene. As the civilization that kicked Ra's ass, they would have had a great deal of respect from neighboring nations, unless the Goa'uld faded into myth and obscurity.

Honestly, I'm still confused about your post. As a result I'm not entirely certain how to answer the first part of your post precisely. Having said that, I'll just try to straighten out as much as I can from what I think I understand. Let me first begin by stating emphatically that the rebellion against Ra is firmly established by the tv show (which is the only reliable canon, regardless of the movie or 'real' history), as being around 3,000 B.C. I tried to discern your points based on your time placements, but I found that I wasn't completely certain of what your point actually was.

My point here being, that of course Osiris would not have been aware of a rebellion that happened 5,000 years after he had been imprisoned, and as a result he was unaware of anything until he was awakened 10,000 years later. I'm still completely confused on how you figured the rebellion took place between 8,000 and 4,000 B.C. Because of heiroglyphic writings? Well, in any case, real life egyptian writings do, in fact indicate a time when the 'gods' ruled over men, as opposed to the Pharohs. They even indicate when that was according to archaeo-astronomy.

On the the next part of your post...

For the record, there were NO unascended living Ancients in the Milky Way galaxy prior to about 10,000 B.C. (since the departure of Atlantis 3 Million years before) So, of course they were 'out-of-the-loop', as you say. They were aware of the re-evolution of mankind in the Milky Way galaxy prior to their return to Earth. The Goa'uld didn't exactly take advantage of the Ancients absence, as they were unaware of the Ancients, on a specfic level. The reason for this, is because the Ancients in the Milky Way galaxy died out shortly after 3 Million B.C. as a result of 'The Plague'. (Around the time Atlantis left Antartica for the Pegasus Galaxy.) On the other hand, yes, the Goa'uld had a free hand to do what they did, with virtually no opposition in place to stop them. According to the movie, Ra first arrived around 8,000 B.C., so I'm not sure how your using the movie to justify an arrival before that.

Another basis for the 8,000 B.C. estimate was the fall of Teotihuacan in South America (the same people who built Machu Pichu); where Dr. Jackson theorized that the fall of that ancient city 10,000 years ago was a result of the arrival of the Goa'uld on Earth ("Learning Curve"). According to ancient history as understood by Dr. Jackson, the Earth had already developed several civilizations, that the Goa'uld simply took advantage of by taking on the personas of those civilizations gods, and using it against them supplemented by their technology to make them believe that they were who they claimed. This essentially means, that the Goa'uld ruled on Earth for about 5,000 years. We have no reason to believe that the Goa'uld and the Atlanteans even directly crossed paths. (It is certainly possible, but we've been given no evidence to support this.)

The truth is, Earth had only ONE resource that the Goa'uld were even remotely interested in. That is the human race itself, as hosts and slaves. Once Ra made his way to Earth, many more followed him to take their own hosts and slaves. Once they had them, they took them through the stargate to their own individual domains, continuing to use them as slave labor to mine their resources and to construct their ships and cities. As their own slave populations grew, they had no need to continue returning to Earth for more slave labor. Eventually, the only Goa'uld left on Earth was Ra, and even his own interests in Earth were minor.

When the rebellion finally occured, Ra's interest in Earth was so low that it simply wasn't worth it to him to re-conquer Earth. Essentially, Earth's only valuable resource had been duplicated through the Goa'uld's massive seeding project of other worlds. Humans posed no threat, and Ra had more interesting things to do than bother with Earth anymore. It is rather pathetic, but... there you go. Egypt didn't win, because it had anything on Ra; it won because Ra just didn't care. He'd already gotten what he wanted from the Earth, and it was meaningless to him after that. During 3,000 B.C. there were other civilizations on Earth, but the Goa'uld had voluntarily left on their own, because (again) Earth had virtually none of the natural resources they needed for their technology (particlarly Naquada). Egypt just happened to be the last domain on Earth ruled by the Goa'uld, and even that was considered virtually worthless.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Very good observation there SeaStallion

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

I just added an edit to my first post. Very exciting information about next years episodes on SG-1. It also happens to explain what happened to the Atlantians after they returned to Earth... just in case you want know. I just wanted to explain the major edit to the post.
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Well, my post was poorly written, which I apologize for. And, due to further research on my own, you are correct: The Egyptians recorded a time when the gods walked among them. Not to mention, the Egyptians began agriculture and domestication of animals around 15,000 BC, as did many other civilizations at the time.

I suppose I was attempting to make the point that the rebellion against the Goa'uld was something that no civilization was likely to forget. However, upon further analysis, it seems that the Goa'uld came to Earth first in ships, but their starship presence dropped dramatically over time, to the point that in 3,000 BC they had no starships in orbit, because it was no logner required, just as you said. The Goa'uld probably, by this point, just went to Earth every now and then through the Stargate to reinforce their appearance and hold over the people. And, without starships lifting off, it would be easier for modern historians to interpret the "gods departing" as part of a myth, rather than a literal observation thousands of years ago. The part about Menes was in support of the 3,000 BC date of the rebellion against Ra, and to propose that it may not have been a coincidence that both the northern and southern kingdoms of Egypt were united together (albeit by conquest) shortly after the uprising.

I'll be honest: I wasn't sure where I was going with my last post. Perhaps I was half-asleep, I don't remember. And you are completely correct about the Ancients-Still, there are a number of unanswered questions.

Such as: When did the Goa'uld come onto the galactic stage? Were they always so evil? Did they choose humans because it was conveinient, or because of the Ancient's influence on Earth?

Comment

When did the Goa'uld come onto the galactic stage? Were they always so evil? Did they choose humans because it was conveinient, or because of the Ancient's influence on Earth?
                          Precisely when the Goa'uld came onto the galactic stage is unclear, but I would hazard to guess no more than 50-100,000 years ago, at maximum. That is just a guess of course, and the time may be much less in fact. Or even possibly more. I wouldn't be so bold as to claim any specific time frame without further evidence on the matter. What little we do know, is that they first left there world be means of the stargate, which they had managed to decipher and use. Initially, they used the Unas as their first hosts, both being native to the same world. They made their way into the galaxy using the stargates, taking any technology they found in their exploration. Eventually, they learned to build ships, but the stargate was always used to unify their growing empire, rather than ships. Early Goa'uld hyperdrive technology enabled the them to travel among the stars by means other than the stargate, but it still took months to travel between their worlds by means of ship alone. It was the stargate that allowed them to travel instantaneously among their worlds.

I don't think the Goa'uld were always so evil, per se, but they were always predatory in nature. The Goa'uld descended from those who have left their homeworld, are virtually without hope of becoming 'good', with the sole exception of the Tok'ra. However, since their founding queen is dead, and they appear to have no other Tok'ra queens in their ranks, the only option they might have to continue their line, may be through cloning. As to the Goa'uld that have yet to leave the primordial waters of their homeworld, it may be possible that their is hope for them to become reasonably good. I cannot say for certain about them, however.

The Goa'uld chose to begin using humans for several reasons. While it was true that the Unas were individually stronger, humans are ultimately a more 'comfortable' place to live. Humans have more advanced physiology than the Unas, making them more useful in handling tools and technology. On a more, amusing note, as Hathor said, the process of taking 'genetic material' from humans is more 'pleasurable' than in most species. I suppose for a primarily asexual species that is quite a statement. The Goa'uld very much like their comforts, and the human body gives them a great deal of comfort. Physical comfort strongly includes sensual pleasure, and the Goa'uld have made no secret of their enjoyment of that. On a more personal note, would you rather rub up against the cold hard skin of an Unas, or the warm soft skin of a human? Not a difficult choice for a pleasure seeking creature... wouldn't you agree?
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Heh, indeed. Plus, according to Ra, our bodies were easier to heal with the sarcouphogus. Did the Goa'uld, along with the other perks of taking human hosts, find some means of relating the Ancients to us? Nirtii, as well as a few other Goa'uld, have experimented on humans, mainly in efforts to "evolve" them. Did they see our potential through research, or by references left by the Ancients?

The existence of the pyramids, however, is another quandry. According to our own records, the Great Pyramid at Giza was constructed in 2560 BC-over four centuries after the rebellion against Ra. Now, we did see a pyramid in "Moebius", obviously, like so:

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s8/8...bius2x275.html

But it's in the wrong place for it to be Giza. This is somewhere else, farther away from the Nile. Why the Stargate is therefore buried at Giza, I have no idea.

Comment

Heh, indeed. Plus, according to Ra, our bodies were easier to heal with the sarcouphogus. Did the Goa'uld, along with the other perks of taking human hosts, find some means of relating the Ancients to us? Nirtii, as well as a few other Goa'uld, have experimented on humans, mainly in efforts to "evolve" them. Did they see our potential through research, or by references left by the Ancients?

The existence of the pyramids, however, is another quandry. According to our own records, the Great Pyramid at Giza was constructed in 2560 BC-over four centuries after the rebellion against Ra. Now, we did see a pyramid in "Moebius", obviously, like so:

But it's in the wrong place for it to be Giza. This is somewhere else, farther away from the Nile. Why the Stargate is therefore buried at Giza, I have no idea.
                              About human evolution, I suppose it could've been either, or neither. I don't know that there is any evidence that the Goa'uld even knew that the Ancients were related to humans. So I'd just go with the research option, as any other.

The so called 'records' that establish the construction of the Pyramids in Egypt, is nothing more than speculation. There are parts of academia (often considered 'the fringe', not unlike Dr. Jackson in Stargate), that believe the pyramids and the sphinx to be considerably older than 2560 BC. There is evidence to suggest that both are indeed much older. The sphinx has vertical erosion lines, which comes from rain. There hasn't been a lot of rain in Egypt during the last 10,000 years. Erosion from wind and sand would be horizontal, rather than vertical. This is considerable evidence that the Sphinx could be as old as 10,000 years old, or even possibly older. As for the great pyramid itself, there is weathering on the stones inside of the pyramid. This indicates that the pyramid is in fact built on an even older structure, that was standing long enough for there to even be erosion. The Osirion is one of the oldest temples in Egypt, so old in fact, that the ancient egyptians themselves didn't even know it was there. They found it by accident while building another temple. Highly unusual in temples found in Egypt, the temple next to the Osirion is 'L' shaped (because the Egyptians didnt' want to disturb the Osirion, they altered their temple design). So the age of the pyramids are not at all 'definitive', on the contrary the age is still under dispute, although 'higher' academia tends to laugh at the idea of a much older civilization predating their own suppositions.

You ever think it might've just been the angle of the camera? The pyramids aren't that close to the Nile. I'm reasonably sure that they weren't different pyramids.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X