Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Descent (603)

Default Re: Descent (603)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    This episode ranks very high on my favorite list, and that's because of this exact scene...

It's an incredible stunt that Corin Nemec pulled off by himself in one take, without needing extra air from any emergency diver in the pool with him. It's a damn hard thing to do, what he did, but damn, I'm amazed every single time.

It's a pretty straightforward episode with a small set and lots of action. The ninjas were a nice touch, and hey Thor... he's still alive, albeit synthesized and currently inhabiting the electronics of a Goa'uld ship but he's there -- all of him tucked away in an oversized thumbdrive.

It was nice to see Major Davis out and about. He doesn't get to go out much so he must have been thrilled, up until the point where they crashed into the ocean I imagine, but thrilled nonetheless.

Didn't care much for the red shirt -- Friesman... or whatever his name was.

Peter DeLuise in a cameo (again) -- flashback to his SeaQuest days.

How would you rate SG-1's "Descent?"

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible
    One of my favorites, too. Mostly because of what you described, as well as the fact that Davis was in it and that awesome scene with Jonas underwater. And the tragic look on Jacob's face when he thought he hadn't figured out how to save Jack and Sam.

One thing that bothered me is that when in the engine room when they expect a threat, Carter raises her P90 and Davis only has a pistol. He is a major in the Air Force. HR should be allowed a machine gun
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    One thing that bothered me is that when in the engine room when they expect a threat, Carter raises her P90 and Davis only has a pistol. He is a major in the Air Force. HR should be allowed a machine gun
    Perhaps Davis felt he had been out of the game too long to be handling a P90, or, you know, they weren't supposed to run into any trouble so he didn't feel the need to come fully equipped, just the standard side-arm.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon by Falcon Horus & signature by JadedWraith || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

They were on a Goa'uld mothership. All the soldiers should be armed. They should all have weapons. I don't think Davis can be any more out of training than Hammond and he had a gun in Meance
    Jelgate is right

They were on a Goa'uld mothership. All the soldiers should be armed. They should all have weapons. I don't think Davis can be any more out of training than Hammond and he had a gun in Meance
    I remembered General Hammond with that shotgun after I posted... meh... maybe Davis likes it small and handy...

icon by Falcon Horus & signature by JadedWraith || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

3-episode quiz: Redemption I, Redemption II & Descent

Jigsaw puzzle: Descent

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I remembered General Hammond with that shotgun after I posted... meh... maybe Davis likes it small and handy...
    You wouldn't let me get away with such excuses back in the old days
    Jelgate is right

8:13

Chief Master Sergeant Who Knows's Avatar

You wouldn't let me get away with such excuses back in the old days
    I'm in vacation mode -- brain only works on half power.

5 minutes 34 seconds
    Jelgate is right

It's always nice to see Jacob in an episode. It's been so long since I watched this one that I remembered very little of it; it was as close to watching a new episode of Stargate: SG=1 as I expect to get.

I like the opening mystery as to why a Goa'uld vessel would be abandoned so close to Earth.

I also think that they did a good job with Jonas on his first mission; I suppose this must pick up immediately after the end of the previous episode. His wonder is nice to watch now, although it irritated me a bit the first time around, as did the way he talked about reading all of the mission reports. Mitchell had soured me on the latter. I also think that RDA did well showing Jack's adjustment to having Jonas on the team. He accepted him, as an alternative to having a Russian officer on SG-1, but I think that, as of the beginning of the episode, his first preference would have been to remain a three-person team with himself, Sam and Teal'c.

It's almost bizarre to think that, just a few years after the SGC were trying to see what could be salvaged from a Goa'uld vessel, Earth would have faster, more powerful vessels at its disposal.

It was more than a little predictable that, having been left behind, Jonas would end up playing a crucial role in saving the day, but it was to be expected, and Corin Nemec did really well. The scenes with Jonas and Teal'c were great.

There was a nice amount of suspense in this episode, which I enjoy. I also think that it was good as a team episode; it may have been Jonas' first mission, and he got his heroic moments, but all four members of the team had a vital role to play. I think that this is very important.

I love the glider escape, and Jack's line about all members of SG-1 being present and accounted for was sweet.

Another Excellent.

Puzzle: 10:34

Quote Originally Posted by ReganX View Post
    He accepted him, as an alternative to having a Russian officer on SG-1, but I think that, as of the beginning of the episode, his first preference would have been to remain a three-person team with himself, Sam and Teal'c.
    That's just a rumor.
    You ask Jack, he'll deny it ever happened that way.