This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homosexuality/bi-sexuality in Stargate

I find it very interesting that Stargate has no gay characters. Not that I care, I'm heterosexual, but especially in this day and age, every show seems to at least have "that token homosexual character." But not Stargate. Why is that? Is Teal'c's metrosexual identity enough for the show?

Do you find the lack of a homosexual character in Stargate to be refreshing, or do you think that they need to write in a homosexual character? For example, imagine a story arc dealing with Mitchell and Susan (the new lesbian character who joins SG-1) vying for Carter's affection.
    Last edited by Lord Shiva; 27 February 2006, 08:48 PM.

I don't think they need a homosexual character just to have one.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

personally i think having any type of token character is a bad thing.

a gay character isn't needed in Stargate so one shouldn't be added. if a gay character is needed then they should one, but i don't see any reason why a gay character would be needed.

the military also has a don't ask/don't tell policy so i doubt that anyone on the part of the SGC will be out. when it comes to aliens, i don't see how being gay, bi or even straight is anyones business so the writers aren't going to write in some flamboyant, Jack (from Will and Grace) like charcter and i can't see how being gay or bi can just be mentioned in a casual conversation

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
        I find it very interesting that Stargate has no gay characters. Not that I care, I'm heterosexual, but especially in this day and age, every show seems to at least have "that token homosexual character." But not Stargate. Why is that? Is Teal'c's metrosexual identity enough for the show?

Do you find the lack of a homosexual character in Stargate to be refreshing, or do you think that they need to write in a homosexual character? For example, imagine a story arc dealing with Mitchell and Susan (the new lesbian character who joins SG-1) vying for Carter's affection.
        I agree with token characters being bad. But since when is Teal'c metrosexual? I view him more as asexual. Besides Ishta and his wife. For 9 years, he's had, what, 2 episodes where he's not asexual. For all we know, his marriage to Dry'ac was just a marriage of convenience since they were never that loving. He made out some with Ishta... that's all I can remember. Maybe I've missed one too many episodes of the earlier seasons.

I think they've referenced to homosexuality a few times. I remember "Prometheus Unbound" where Daniel got freaked when he thought a male Kull warrior was hitting on him.

And for some reason, people say Walter and Chuck (the Atlantis equivalent to Walter) are gay o_O.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
          I agree with token characters being bad. But since when is Teal'c metrosexual? I view him more as asexual. Besides Ishta and his wife. For 9 years, he's had, what, 2 episodes where he's not asexual. For all we know, his marriage to Dry'ac was just a marriage of convenience since they were never that loving. He made out some with Ishta... that's all I can remember. Maybe I've missed one too many episodes of the earlier seasons.

I think they've referenced to homosexuality a few times. I remember "Prometheus Unbound" where Daniel got freaked when he thought a male Kull warrior was hitting on him.

And for some reason, people say Walter and Chuck (the Atlantis equivalent to Walter) are gay o_O.
          I think the only homosexuality in stargate will be in form of some joke (like in moebius and PU)
          as for Walter being gay, Gary Jones once said he plays Walter gay (he doesn't feel gay to me). And the military has the rule "don't ask, don't tell" concerning gays.

I feel sg1 and atlantis (and bsg) does not need a gay character

the only team member I could see having some bi-sexual behaviour is Vala

Comment

Which episode is PU and what was the gay joke in Moebius?

Comment

There is really no point for a gay character in SG1 or SGA. Just because there isn't one in the show that doesn't mean it's a sexual discrimination thing. They simply didn't need one. One more thing to support the lack of any gay character is that, in military, gay people are not being looked at too well, and the disclosure of such a man's/women's sexual identity might even cause them some trouble. To conclude, I don't think we are going to witness such revelations any time soon.

As for a gay jaffa or a gay nox or any other type of alien, how would we know about them? Could Sam or Daniel just ask them something like: "Scuse me, but are you gay?". NO! And this kind of knowledge wouldn't come from a disscusion about the wormholes or Z.P.M.'s. Again, I think we won't find out about any gay alien.

As for by-sexuals, this is easy: Goa'uld. Of course they might be considered asex. They tend to prefer a male/female body(Martouf and Jolinar) , but the one in Sam's dad was previously in a women's body, so, atleast for the Goa'uld, the subject is open for disscusion.

Comment

When did Stargate stop being about exploring other worlds, finding new technology and fighting the bad guys and start being sexuality hour?

What they do off base in their spare time is no one's business. Who cares if they are straight, bent or ambiguous? Stargate doesn't need to go for token gestures and that's all something like that would be - a token gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                  Which episode is PU and what was the gay joke in Moebius?
                  PU = Prometheus Unbound, the episode that gave us Vala
                  Moebius part I: some guy said: "I'm Carlos and I think you are hot"
                  Moebius part II: Alt-Jack to Alt-Sam in the puddle jumper where Sam confesses her feelings: "I though daniel was g..." (or something like that)

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                    When did Stargate stop being about exploring other worlds, finding new technology and fighting the bad guys and start being sexuality hour?

What they do off base in their spare time is no one's business. Who cares if they are straight, bent or ambiguous? Stargate doesn't need to go for token gestures and that's all something like that would be - a token gesture.

very good point! If someone wants to watch gay shows, by-sex shows or love movies just look in the TV Guide for "Sex in the city". This is SCI-FI.

Comment

Originally posted by shockwave
                      PU = Prometheus Unbound, the episode that gave us Vala
                      Moebius part I: some guy said: "I'm Carlos and I think you are hot"
                      Moebius part II: Alt-Jack to Alt-Sam in the puddle jumper where Sam confesses her feelings: "I though daniel was g..." (or something like that)
                      Oh right, I remember the Sam comment. I don't remember Carlos. I'll go rewatch it now.

The PU thing I loved (and I actually mentioned it in my first post in this thread) XD.

Comment

Originally posted by Pazuzu
                        very good point! If someone wants to watch gay shows, by-sex shows or love movies just look in the TV Guide for "Sex in the city". This is SCI-FI.
                        for those who want to see gays, I suggest this
                        queer as folk
                        queer eye for the straight guy
                        will&grace
                        six feet under
                        the l-word
                        and the movie Brokeback Mountain

Comment

for those who want to see gays, I suggest this
                          queer as folk
                          queer eye for the straight guy
                          will&grace
                          six feet under
                          the l-word
                          and the movie Brokeback Mountain

I'll see your "Six feet under" and I'll raise a "Angels in the city". Is that the name of the show?

Comment

Originally posted by Pazuzu
                            I'll see your "Six feet under" and I'll raise a "Angels in the city". Is that the name of the show?
                            the show has a gay black character, thats why I listed it

Comment

the show has a gay black character, thats why I listed it

Aha, got it!

Comment

Working...
                              X