Hide And Seek (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought it was an okay episode.

I wonder what happened to Teyla's lighter.

Tomorrow, the Jumper is trapped in the gate.
    sigpic

Comment

Wednesday night and the first normal Atlantis ep...

1. To be fair the transporter thing might have been confusing to most people.

2. I really don't like second guessing people's subconscious and if Weir's theory was right it was pretty wierd, was Rodney ever that much of a coward?

3. Well that's one way to get credibility.

Decent ep.
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

It was a good episode as far as showing the mystery of Atlantis goes, how vast and unknown it was. I liked the way the science of the city was mixed with ideas of 'spirits' and gave a great creepy atmosphere with that 'darkness'. Another Ancient experiment, a bit worrying how the Ancients left their forgotten experiments around.

It was amusing to see how McKay found the personal shield and didn't think twice about doing the 'see what this does' thing with it. In some ways he was no different to that kid who was pressing buttons and caused problems with unwittingly releasing the 'darkness'.

At least this mishap revealed the city transporters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
          2. I really don't like second guessing people's subconscious and if Weir's theory was right it was pretty wierd, was Rodney ever that much of a coward?
          Pretty brave move at the end though, even I admit that..

My LiveJournal post (Yeah, McKay lovers might not want to read that.. )
          Enjoyed the ep, good stuff.
          Do they keep using shields like that? No, never mind, don't tell me!
          "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
          "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
          "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
          "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
          >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

This really feel like still part of the pilot. People are still getting settled in to the city and their is a lot of mystery of what is inside the city. I especially like the transporters and how they can move a person across Atlantis. Although it doesn't seem to be very consistent with previous Ancient technology. I remember always wondering, where are the ring platform on Atlantis. The energy eating entity that was based on ascension energy filled pretty filler to me to suit the bottle episode this episode was. So what makes this episode interesting are the character moments like horror Shep told or McKay overcoming his fear with the personal shield. Even the solution was obvious after the entity would not go in his contained
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Joe Mallozzi's memories of this episode:
              http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ntis-memories/
              HIDE AND SEEK (103)

Following the big, splashy two-hour premiere that established the foundation of the new series, creators Robert Cooper and Brad Wright followed up with episodes that explored Ancient mythology and technology, gate mechanics, the city of Atlantis and, most importantly, the key members of the expedition. Rob kicked things off with Hide and Seek which does a terrific job of mixing mystery, action, suspense, and that all-important trademark Stargate humor. While the threat of the energy-devouring creature drives much of the story, it’s the smaller character moments that prove the most memorable: Sheppard trying to scare the Athosian children with a ghost story that only succeeds in confusing them, the team sitting down to a nice bonding moment over football, McKay’s hilarious arc that takes him from invincible to doomed. That early scene in which John shoves Rodney over the railing only to have McKay spring back up, unscathed, is brilliant and never fails to amuse.
              sigpic

Comment

Hide and Seek

So it's been days after the events of "Rising", the people from the village are getting settled in, things about the city are still being discovered and certain protocols are being put into place so what else is there to do except have the first non-pilot episode of Atlantis be about the team dealing with a certain threat except in this case, it involves something truly mysterious the likes of which nobody knows about. Reading that description, it seems like an something SG-1 would do, and you'd be half-right; because there are differences that set it apart from the stuff SG-1 would do.

First off, this episode gives a nice focus to two of the things that are the defining points of the series, the race of people who live on Atlantis and the ancient technology itself. These people have only been given a hint of focus in the pilot episode and to actually see them get more focus is really nice; we get to see how they care for their young, how they manage in situations like this, how the kids play around and we certainly get to see the the concern they show for the relations they have with the Atlantis expedition. It certainly gives life to this society that was hinted at in the pilot and it really shows a part of their history that we haven't seen; even though nothing significant is shown through these scenes, it does help us to relate to the town as an average bunch of people and it certainly shows the commonness between them and us; they live life the same as they do, they pray and hope like we do, they get scared like we do; even though they're aren't aware of many things like us like their religion or their customs or even their history, there are many things we share with this entire town of people who lived in this Galaxy for so long and to see it all brought out in a situation like this; it may not be the focus of the episode but it sure makes a statement (though a common one).

Just like us.

The series continues its slow reveal of ancient technology because what fun would a show about revealing the ancients be if they revealed it all at once? Slowly but surely we learn new things about Atlantis such as the fact that there were experimenting on things relating on their personal desires, the way they got around Atlantis, how certain systems are activated by certain things they did or we did and even more stuff about the ATA gene... I won't get into technical details as the only way you'll truly respect this stuff is if you watched it all the way through. The most obvious thing has to do with a device that's designed to make the wearer invincible and the control regarding the device; though the device is cliche (it's a shield obviously.) and the way it's utilized makes it cliche (thus harming the episode.) the issue regarding subconscious control that it brings is good; it brings up questions on whether or not the device would let the user be killed or if the subconscious has more control then the conscious. This is one of the few moments where the questions it raises is more important then the device itself.

The unknown that we face in this episode is good; almost reminiscent of a certain smoke monster from Lost (though this episode aired before the pilot.). I didn't think of it as scary as much as the other people but it's definitely scary in a menacing way the way it creeps up shadows and makes itself known; there aren't many visible shots of the monster (which adds to the scariness imo) but there are shots which showcase the monster, fueled by a combination of dark/light lighting and a certain sense of claustrophobia that accurately reflects those fears. The way it messes with the norm, makes us think it's something that it's not, is almost impossible to kill, it's almost like a sci-fi version of Jaws in that it hides while the worried/determined people have to seek it (thus giving the episode it's name) and the way that it thinks, well it's not mindless. I like that the people behind the episode didn't feel the need to make it a mindless killing machine, just something with thought that fits the sci-fi mold well and serves as a perfect counterbalance to the episode, especially at the end where the episode which sets up to magnificent payoff. In what the episode was trying to do, it's scary and it almost serves itself as a decent plot device later on in the episode.

Fearing the unknown.

The bond between a boy and his father was well done I might say with a lot of those scenes approaching Babar levels of cuteness. I thought these were the best scens in the episode as it accurately shows what a father and a son have between each other; the love, the reliability, the relationship and the need for a figure during tough times... You can literally feel the heart and charm that these scenes provide even as the serious issue is going on. Shephard has got to be my favorite character of the episode, his military personality combined with his lack of fear, funny lines and his relatability works effectively within the confines of the episode; I really liked the scene where he read scary stories to the kids and they got confused, having to explain himself later on..., I liked where he woke Ford nonchalantly as it gives a good show of his sternness and I like the romance he has between Taylor, especially when they talk about and watch Football; the way he reacted towards the football games was a nice show of his character and the Holy Mary comment turned out to be something nice that reflected his character (especially as he tried to explain it). I disliked Rodney in this episode, he just seemed really, really unnerving as he complained about dieing of hunger and acted like a coward for the majority of the episode; there were a few scenes that I enjoyed him in but the majority has him acting like an annoying coward who can't help but to make himself the center of attention. He does redeem himself at the end but really, does it matter if you've acted like a coward for the majority of the episode? Dr. Weir is as good as ever, in fact I'd say that it takes her friendliness even further by having her act casual; I mean when have you ever seen General Hammond act casual?

So, third episode... Not as good as the pilot but it doesn't matter, it shows that the still going along smoothly. SGA's first episode dealing with a non-Wraith threat is good; the unknown entity manages to be truly mysterious and scary with it's presence bringing out the the best in the episode; the village people get a decent focus allowing us to connect with them more, the ancient technology is rolled out slowly but surely and the characters get a good platform to perform on, plus there are certain scenes which have the heart and charm that you can't deny. While SGA is trying to find it's norm following the pilot, this is something that's watchable and hey, you can't go wrong with a game of Hide and Seek. Isabelle!

7.5/10
                Back from the grave.

Comment

The scenes between Carson and McKay are my favourite parts. Both when he gets the ATA gene and when he "passes out from manly hunger". It's not my favourite episode, but it does show the beginnings of their friendship.
                  Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

I really really liked this one. The device McKay used is creepy, but he got it off eventually...

The black shadow was pretty scary.
                    Carson still annoys me, but he is the "funny" sidekick. I'll have to live with that ...

Comment

What a great episode im glad im re watching the show its reminding me of why i loved it so much
                      sigpic
                      Kenton Canada

Comment

I like Teyla, but I am not really wild about the Athosians. I do love the little moments into the characters we got to see and also exploring the city. I can never get enough of that.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X