No announcement yet.

Hide And Seek (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ascension has nothing to do with any spiritual stuff or anything like that, I am 100% sure of that. Both regarding stargate and real life.

There comes a time when a species have no need for a physical body, it's evolution. You get there by waiting for it to happen, or get there by manipulating youself. Starting to pray and stuff doesn't make people ascend.

Oma helps the "right" people ascend, because they don't want any more Anubis' ascended. That doesn't mean Oma got there by going all spiritual.

Comment

but o'neill is the more evolutionarily advanced. daniel was just a normal human so it had2 be either spiritual or oma did something to his dying body that accellerated the process, and the enlightenment treatment was to help explain the ascension.

the fact that the ancients were experimenting with ascension tells me that for all their rules about not accelelrating the natural ascension process, thats what they appeared to be doing for themselves.

they probably had witnessed energy beings on one of the worlds they visited, captured the darkness thingy and were trying to determine how they cud turn themselves into that form..

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
        Ascension has nothing to do with any spiritual stuff or anything like that, I am 100% sure of that. Both regarding stargate and real life.

There comes a time when a species have no need for a physical body, it's evolution. You get there by waiting for it to happen, or get there by manipulating youself. Starting to pray and stuff doesn't make people ascend.

Oma helps the "right" people ascend, because they don't want any more Anubis' ascended. That doesn't mean Oma got there by going all spiritual.
        The ones who follow Oma are few of many, they just follow the spirtual path as Oma does. The other Ancients who have acscended aren't neccesarily as spiritual as Oma and her followers are. Likea AnubiSs says, they could have just reached that point in their evolution, and studying non-corporeal beings like the blob lead them down that path.

Don't assume that all acsension is spiritual, we already know that Oma's followers aren't the only people who can acsend. That doesn't mean they made an "acension machine", however.

Comment

O'Neill isn't spiritual at all from what I've seen, yet Daniel offered him ascension.

Comment

My favorite scene was when weir said that McKay should stay behind and Mckay's jaw droped and the sheild fell off.

"There's a very fine line between not listening, and not careing. I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Comment

No more enamored of the series after this episode than last week's. The cast/characters still don't do anything for me. And--unlike with many of my fellow posters on this thread--McKay is wearing out his welcome. For me, he's one of those characters where a little goes a long way.

I can't believe that, after only "two days" (according to McKay. It may be a little longer), Beckett would try to make a DNA change in a human after no (apparently) real time for any detailed experimentation on the mice. This undermined Beckett's character for me: for the sake of a plot device, they had him act like an irresponsible idiot.

Didn't this ep contradict "Full Circle"? According to FC, some of the Ancients were able to ascend to escape a plague. There's no indication in Ayianna's holographic explanation last week of any plague around (they left the city because of the Wraith), yet they seemed to be experimenting with ascension anyway.

Again, unlike many of the posts I've seen here, I really liked to opening credits and I *love* the theme. Like it better than SG-1's, in fact.

J.
              "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                I can't believe that, after only "two days" (according to McKay. It may be a little longer), Beckett would try to make a DNA change in a human after no (apparently) real time for any detailed experimentation on the mice. This undermined Beckett's character for me: for the sake of a plot device, they had him act like an irresponsible idiot.
                He had been testing the procedure for a period of time before they went to Atlantis. McKay was the first human test, mostly because of legal reasons. It's "legal" in Pegasus.

Didn't this ep contradict "Full Circle"? According to FC, some of the Ancients were able to ascend to escape a plague. There's no indication in Ayianna's holographic explanation last week of any plague around (they left the city because of the Wraith), yet they seemed to be experimenting with ascension anyway.
                Actually, their studying ascension no more means they needed the immediate out than earth's alpha site means the earth has been conquered by the Goa'uld. The plague forced them to ascend or die. They were studying ascension before that. The plague just required them to ascend, it didn't create their interest in it.
                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Good to see that the Ancients are, as someone put it, "a flawed species". Perfection is nice, but it's a little unrealistic, IMO.
                  Not to add to the fluff factor of this thread, but since you brought it up ...

As mentioned up thread, the apparent imperfection in the the Ancients only makes them a more interesting species and the whole story more engaging. For instance, the episode made it fairly clear the black-cloud-shodowy-blob, albeit sentient, was evolutionally primitive, what with foreshadowing of the opening sequence (i.e., the lab rat and the gene therapy) and the character dialogue. But, primitive according to whom? The Goa'uld might have argued that it was okay to enslave the "primitive" humans, but we certainly don't see it that way. So, where does one draw the metaphysical line? Would the ability to communicate make all the difference?
                  In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Liebestraume
                    So, where does one draw the metaphysical line? Would the ability to communicate make all the difference?
                    And how do you define communication? Just because "we" can't understand it doesn't mean that it/they don't have some way of conveying information...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      And how do you define communication? Just because "we" can't understand it doesn't mean that it/they don't have some way of conveying information...
                      Good point. So, again, where and how one draws the line? It just seems that, however one defines the boundary, it variably ends up being quite self-centered.
                      In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                        He had mentioned that they were doing these experiments on rats for a while, but the FDA wouldn't allow him to test it on humans. Since there's no FDA in Pegasus, he decides to test it out on McKay. The fact that it works makes him look like a freaking genius. While Frasier was simply a great medical doctor, I think Beckett might be both a medical doctor and a biologist.
                        It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Carson said he was experimenting with it on Earth but couldn't get proper FDA approval... even though he was in Antarctica?

Comment

Just got through watching last nights new Atlantis episode. I haven't read any comments about it yet, so everything I have to say about it might have already been discussed in detail. In any case:

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
                            of 'Hide and Seek'

I've got to say right away that after the spectacular premiere last week, this episode wasn't nearly as interesting by comparison. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't particularly exciting. Might have something to do with how the Athosians featured quite a bit in it, and so far they kind of bore me. Hopefully, that will change in time.

The episode did have an interesting plot point, however: That the Ancients may not have ascended naturally. This is actually something I've been thinking about for quite a while. Maybe I'll type up a post sharing my thoughts on this subject one of these days. Should be interesting to see how TPTB will follow up on this.

The story regarding the shadow creature wasn't all that exciting, if I am to be honest (which I hear is good). Still, the last couple of minutes were kind of cool, with the dark mist covering the gateroom. I really liked how it was resolved, though - McKay got to be the hero! Yay!

Not surprisingly, McKay also provided the best humorous moments. I loved his scenes early in the episode, especially when he got pushed off the balcony! 'In-vul-nerable!' My favorite pieces of dialogue for this episode was when Sheppard admitted to having shot McKay, as well as McKay after he got punched in the face: 'Notice that he didn't even hesitate!'. Heh heh... Good stuff! His 'I'm gonna die' routine got a little old over the course of the episode, though.

Oh well... While it wasn't the best thing I've seen, the episode was at least worthwhile. And hey, the preview for the next episode actually looks really, really promising.
                            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I wasn't impressed by Hide and seek either. Most of the time I just tuned out while working on the computer.

Does anyone else find that father character annoying?

Comment

Personally I rather liked the episode. However, the kids and the socializing scenes just seemed to drag on forever and reminded me of some of the worst Enterprise episodes.

Also sometimes the actors mumble incoherently or talk at 100 miles an hour, especially McKay. Maybe it's because he's Canadian or something. And don't get me started on the irish accent

Comment

Working...
                                X