Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hide And Seek (103)

should seriously consider upping the amount of space we get to upload files
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (37.3 KB, 124 views)

Probie

It was odd that SG1 and SGA both had similar themes.. the ascended beings. I that it was pretty cool in a way, but wished it to be different, kinda got old watching 2 different casts play out the same game. The even ended the same way, w/ the ascended beings going through the gate.

Despite my above gripe, I am really starting to enjoy the Atlantis cast, i was hesitant at first, now its starting to sink in.

Viewing this episode by itself (without taking the sg1 episode in mind), I thought it was really cool, tayla was a strong leader for her people when she explained the "shadow is scared of fire". I thought that was cool.

McKay, OMG, you gotta love him. I was really worried the O'Neal sense of humor would be lost in SGA, now I realize we have McKay.

So Weir can understand spoken ancient, and McKay can read it, we are starting to make some headway eh?

Looking forward to next episode =D

Thanks Mio!
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

I posted a clean version of the PoO in the PoO thread.

Anyway, back to the episode....I like McKay

Yes McKay was excellent in this episode, very funny!!

Something kinda puzzles me about tonight's episode: was it suggesting that the Ancients had learned how to "ascend" by studying other sentient beings? Specifically, did they trap that "black cloud" just so that they could experiment on it/him? Somehow that clashes with the enlightened benevolence they seemed to have projected heretofore.

On a side note, McKay is kinda growing on me but Weir is starting to wear -- can't put my fingers on why, though.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

I love how it fell off when Weir suggested he activate the device

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Mio
    I love how it fell off when Weir suggested he activate the device
    That was classic =)

Quote Originally Posted by Liebestraume
    Something kinda puzzles me about tonight's episode: was it suggesting that the Ancients had learned how to "ascend" by studying other sentient beings? Specifically, did they trap that "black cloud" just so that they could experiment on it/him? Somehow that clashes with the enlightened benevolence they seemed to have projected heretofore.
    In the scene where they found the lab, I thought McKay said "studying a sentient". But on further thought of the conversation, I realized he said "studying ascension". He's Canadian. I don't recall anyone saying it was sentient; McKay made several references to how "stupid" the creature was and was only looking for food, though it clearly had an understanding of "fool me once, etc."

Quote Originally Posted by uknesvuinng
    In the scene where they found the lab, I thought McKay said "studying a sentient". But on further thought of the conversation, I realized he said "studying ascension". He's Canadian. I don't recall anyone saying it was sentient; McKay made several references to how "stupid" the creature was and was only looking for food, though it clearly had an understanding of "fool me once, etc."
    Right, I thought he said "ascension" instead of "a sentient" as well. Still, no matter how "stupid" the creature was, he/it was clearly a sentient being. It surprised me a little that the Ancients would treat the creature like we do a lab rat. But I am actually quite happy if the Ancients turn out to be not quite as "nice" as they have appeared thus far. Makes them more interesting.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Every peaceful, benevolent species has to have a few skeletons in their evolutionary closet...

And McKay definitely said "studying Ascension." Sometimes closed captioning comes in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    And McKay definitely said "studying Ascension." Sometimes closed captioning comes in handy.
    I wouldn't have it any other way. I watch 95% of my TV with CC on. That why I always know what people say, I learn new words, and I can watch TV when people are loud in the other room.
    "I've been called ugly, pug-ugly, fugly, pug-fugly, but never ugly-ugly." --- Moe Szyslak

Nice epi. BTW, does Rodney EVER stop eating (when he can eat, that is!)

Quote Originally Posted by Nolamom
    I love his obsession with food. Reminds me of me. Although I think he probably has a slight edge over me in that department. At least he has food to eat when he wants it... and when he can eat it... hehe

I began using CC because of all the fast-talking guys on scifi shows (John on Farscape, Daniel on SG-1). Now I keep it on all the time...good thing since it appears McKay is joining the fast-talker list.

Back on topic, I thought the CC indicated that at one point someone said the alien cloud was "sentient". I also remember (separately) McKay relating that the Ancients were "studying ascension". So I remember both.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...d_smallest.jpgLife is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

I do recall something about the cloud being sentient, yes, although McKay seemed to think it was more of an animal-level sentience, like that of a shark, as opposed to something "evolved" like a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolamom
    Lol- kind of like a very much missed Kelownan I can think of on SG-1

I actually remember thinking the plots of the two episodes looked similar just from watching their previews back to back last week. It is odd and a little redundant that they both aired tonight. Strangely enough, though, I enjoyed the Atlantis rendition more.

As for the Ancients' supposed benevolence or lack thereof, I'm also glad to find more nuances to their society. As with any society, remember that they wouldn't all be bad or all be good (well, maybe the Wraith are an exception, I guess we'll find out- lol), but my point being... if the Ancients were a diverse people, it's realistic that they would have had (as a people) a variety of philosiphies and moral standards.

One thing that really tickled me about this episode was the "Mouse Trap" itself. If I'm not mistaken, it's the exact same prop that was used in "Sight Unseen." The reason I loved this, though, is that-- despite the obvious recycling of franchise props, lol-- when you stop to think about it, it makes sense. Both devices served functions along a similar line: to attract alien beings of another plane. I just enjoyed the continuity

The Atlantis theme music doesn't really jump out and grab me, but I agree that it should be different from SG-1, so... I'm neutral. LOL

Incidentally, it would seem that Dr. Weir's one personal item was a curling iron. LOL But I like the curly hair, actually.

(My friend Melyanna points out that perhaps her hair really is curly and her one personal item wasn't a straightener)
    "Someone duplicated the duplicators?"

~ Jack; Smoke and Mirrors

*~*~*~*
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tars/jonas.gif

*~*~*~*

Amelia's Violin - a Jonas/ OC romance. Version 2.0. New, improved, and COMPLETE!!!

A Day in the life of Sparky:

...???... ......!!!.....[ ]..............!!!... .........

The End!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    I do recall something about the cloud being sentient, yes, although McKay seemed to think it was more of an animal-level sentience, like that of a shark, as opposed to something "evolved" like a person.
    That's it! I recall the shark comparison now.

Totally different topic, but one thing that annoyed me were the kids. I hope they're going to be appearing very infrequently. Although the bit with Sheppard trying to scare them with his "Jason" story *was* kind of cute I guess.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...d_smallest.jpgLife is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Probie

If i keep it up, I'll be a Jaffa warrior by tomarrow (like 7 posts tonight? YAY)

The kids make it more realisitic to me, I mean Atlantis IS a CITY. Its going to take people to maintain/inhabit it to help defend against the wraith right? I think the kids being there give it a not-so-military feel, kind of a way to stray away from the SG1 version of the stargate universe.

As always, just my thoughts.

/EDIT STARTS HERE/
    Forgot to add in this comment:
    They DO need to setup a "recreation" area though

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Kes
    That's it! I recall the shark comparison now.

Totally different topic, but one thing that annoyed me were the kids. I hope they're going to be appearing very infrequently. Although the bit with Sheppard trying to scare them with his "Jason" story *was* kind of cute I guess.
    Yes, that's why Sheppard made the "Jaws" joke later

Mckay is funny, but in the past I'd found him a bit annoying when he was around too much. However, he grew on me in this episode. I actually liked the Atlantis episode better, it had nice character development. Teyla hasn't made an impression yet, though.

I don't think they are going to make airing episodes of SG-1 and Atlantis that are so similar a habit. Probably just trying to expand upon acension and the Ancients early in the season as it will become more important later (in both series).

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast