No announcement yet.

Redemption, Part 1 (601)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, that's what I'm talking about, gotta be my fave episode so far, along with a few others. Great start of season 6 - Loved Jonas, and it was also nice to see McKay again - Now I will watch the conclusion - This ep. was SO exciting

Comment

Originally posted by timdalton007 View Post
      The episode was well written and even had a diffrent feel to it then the episodes ebfore it. I don't why but the episode seemed...different somehow. I don't know if it was the style, the writing, or what but it seemed diffrent like the start of a new chapter in SG-1.
      I got the same feeling watching this, couldn't quite put my finger on why. Either way great episode.
      Originally posted by Descended
      That blackhole was awfully weak, since the last blackhole they encountered practically stopped time in the SGC through a wormhole linked to a planet that was merely orbiting a blackhole, yet they flew almost into this one and all that happened was Teal'cs voice got a little deeper.

Comment

Lieutenant Simmons (as played by Tobias Mehler) -- what a nice surprise seeing him still around!

Spotting Martin Wood and Dan Shea in the background has become a sport now. It's fun.

And yay, I was glad to be rid of the mask intro, instead I now have to watch the spinning gate every episode... not so much yay afterall...

9 try-outs -- I bet the SGC personnel has a pool going there. And Jonas is not picked, and he so wants to be out there. Don't worry, mate, you'll get your shot.

Oh yeah, McKay's also back... *le sigh* ...still arrogant and annoying.

So, Anubis is reigning hellfire and doom on planet Earth. Ah, not to worry Sam will pull something out of her butt... head...
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Not liking Jonas at all, maybe he'll get better in part 2. The return of McKay was a nice touch. I hope he does something useful in part 2.

I have no idea how they are going to get out of this mess but I was thinking maybe pack up the stargate and take it into space.

For the teal'c and son part I didn't care for the violent moments but the part when they made up was cool. Nice to see a emotional Teal'c

Comment

Exciting, so I watched the next one right up.
            Father - son relationship and many questions still to be answered.
            Most important one: Will they avoid disaster?
            CARPE DIEM
            ANJA

Comment

Good episode. The funeral pyre reminded me so much of Darth Vader's funeral pyre that the Star Wars theme kept running through my head.

I loved the scenes between Teal and Rya'c. CJ really acted his best in the emotional parts!

Poor Jonas being ignored, and it is always good to see McKay in all his arrogant glory.

Comment

YAY, new intro -- so long mask of Ra.... Oh dear, all that turning... nauseating...
                Okay, can I have the mask of Ra back now.

Anyway... season 6. I'm at the halfway point in rewatching SG-1, and nearly going for a year now. It'll be a full year in November I think (checks first post on Stargate Command to be sure) -- * please hold * -- nope, my first posting was around October 16, 2017. So, it'll be a full year in October.

So, SG-1 is doing new-member trial runs and they are seemingly going very smooth. How many did you say, 8? Oh wait no, 9. Captain Matheson lasted a full two hours. How quaint.

Jonas' favorite channel is the weather channel. LOL! Entirely forgotten about that one. And so eager to give back and learn and be part of the SGC and contribute, and nobody really lets him. Not unless General Hammond makes them to.

And they also build a new X-30...2, which after the fiasco of the 1, is entirely human built so no surprises on board. Also no phasers sadly. And a hyperdrive. Neath (if it works that is).

The Jaffa funeral pyre was interesting, and presented a small opportunity to learn something of Jaffa funeral rites but alas it was too short to matter in the grand scheme of things. It's a bit glossed over and seemingly quickly forgotten as soon as the mission to save the Tau'ri from Anubis' doom presents itself.

Ah yes, Anubis is bombarding the Earth gate with some spiffy Ancient technology, in order for it to selfdestruct and take Colorado with it, which also brings back McKay... whom I still have no love for. Thank goddess they altered his character a wee bit for Atlantis -- even though I have no love for him there either.

Overall, it's an excellent start of the season, as far as I am concerned so I'm giving it an excellent. I was properly entertained for 42 minutes.

How would you rate SG-1's "Redemption, Part 1?"

Excellent
                Good
                Fair
                Poor
                Terrible

Comment

Oh... by the way, fun fact I forgot to mention...

The counter which keeps track of how long a wormhole has been open, has a three to four second jump when the camera is on General Hammond than when the camera is on Major Carter. The counter is reflected in the window behind Don Davis.

A slight continuity error, I'd say.

Comment

3-episode quiz: Redemption I, Redemption II & Descent

Jigsaw puzzle: Redemption, part I

Comment

11:32

Comment

9 minutes 12 seconds
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

I was late to start watching Stargate.

My best friend introduced me to the show after Season Eight had aired, via DVDs for the movie, the first season (apart from Children of the Gods) and part of the second season. I was hooked at once, and went on to buy the DVDs for myself, in stages. I honestly can’t remember the exact order I watched the show in, but I know that it wasn’t chronological.

I think that this affected my view of Season Six in a lot of ways because I was aware that Daniel would be back on the show, and that Jonas wasn’t going to be around in the long-term. As a result, I think that I was inclined not to want to get attached to the character at first, and that, with the earliest episodes of the season, I perceived more of a focus on Jonas’ character than there actually was, and the perceived excessive focus seemed wasteful, given that the character wasn't going to be on the team for future seasons. On the other hand, it also meant that my feelings towards Jonas as a character weren’t affected by his replacing Daniel, and I came to like him a lot, so much so that I wished, and still wish, that he could have stayed.

I like the way Redemption, Part 1 opens with a bang, and it’s a nice touch that, five years into the SGC’s operations, they are as alert as ever when there’s an unscheduled ‘gate activation. Another show might have phased out the reaction, or at least toned it down a lot, to save money on extras, if nothing else, but the SGC remains as alert as I would expect a military operation to be in their situation. It also serves as an effective contrast to the way things were five seasons earlier, when the stargate was being ‘guarded’ by bored troops who spent their time playing cards.

The brief SG-1 career of the unfortunate Captain Hagman was funny. Under other circumstances, I’d find it noteworthy that Daniel was replaced by a military officer but Jack’s “Next!” is all you need to know that Hagman is the latest in a line of potentials, even without this point being reinforced later.

I love the credits with the close-ups of the spinning stargate.

One thing I love about Jonas in this episode is that he immediately gives off a vibe that he’s not from Earth. I think that his fascination with the Weather Channel was a good way of showing that he’s not from Earth.

The introduction of the X-302 was also well done, and shows the progress that has been made in the year and a half, or thereabouts, since the ill-fated X-301. They learned their lesson, ensuring that it was all human built, rather than just reclaiming a Goa’uld glider. It also seems fitting that they were able to take it a step further than the Goa’uld gliders by making it capable of hyperspace, even if it didn’t work out at first.

It’s the difference between the Goa’uld and the humans on Earth; the Goa’uld stole the technology of other races and, to the best of my recollection, they tended not to develop their own, at least not to any great extent. They didn’t seem to be much more advanced in the show’s present than they were thousands of years in the past. Humans, on the other hand, were always working to improve their own technology, and used advanced alien technology as a starting point to develop their own. I’d say that this is why races like the Tollan and the Aschen were able to overtake the Goa’uld in terms of technology.

Tact, thy name is not Jack O’Neill.

What was Hammond thinking, broaching the possibility of a Russian officer on SG-1 to Jack while Colonel Chekov was present? He had to know that Jack would not respond positively to the idea.

Did Jonas actually manage to knock Teal’c down, or was Teal’c convinced that he’d be a good member of the team and that’s why he spoke to Jack about him joining SG-1?

I didn’t like that Colonel Chekov confronted Sam about the X-302 first, rather than broaching the matter with Hammond, which would have been much more appropriate.

Rya’c and Drey’auc were never prominent characters, but I like the way they used the latter’s death to draw attention to the long-term issue for the Jaffa, once the Goa’uld no longer trusted them with their young. Of course, this was also problematic for the Goa’uld, since they relied on the Jaffa to incubate larval symbiotes.

I don’t like Anubis, but I like his plan. It was simple, but sadistic.

I love that they had Sam take part in the first X-302 flight. She didn’t often get to do any piloting. I also love that they thought of flying to Abydos to access their stargate, rather than overlooking a potential solution, which always irritates me.

I’d almost forgotten how arrogant McKay was at first, given that he improved once he went to Atlantis. At the end of the episode, he seems almost pleased over the failure of the Abydos 1 mission, even though that was their best hope of contacting help to keep all life on Earth from being wiped out.

Nice Sam/Jack scene at the end.

Overall, I rate this episode as Excellent. It was a great start to Season Six.

The jigsaw took me 14:16. I guess I need some practice.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

you know... i would like a movie series with all the sg1 team including jonas to be on a starship, perhaps a new series? split thecommand of a firefly esque ship with them and give them quaint missions where they do fun stuff etc.... not to much like that dark one they did dark matter, it was cool but too darkmattery, make it quainter like firefly which had a almost starwars feeling to it with a light bsg touch... they start running a new quick rich scheme every couple episodes, put it online, on a service perhaps, but put it on several networks services to increase viewership ten fold.... and give them planet exploration for nefarious profiteering on habbited worlds, habbitable worlds, sometimesi they arre going to undeveloped worlds to harvest ridiculous loads of minerals useing robotic equipment they set up and leave to come back to in later missions etc... give them personal missions, exploration of their humanity and spiritual planes, and give them fun crttazy missions to rob grand ol operys on worlds or steal stuff hidden in a opera house in some locations and other banks are to obvious so the obviously fun hospital theft, stealing equipment etc fighting past security to steal ships etc etc

Comment

put that on a broadcast channel for previous aired episodes like FOX, and you will have a hit on your hands etc

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                                Did Jonas actually manage to knock Teal’c down, or was Teal’c convinced that he’d be a good member of the team and that’s why he spoke to Jack about him joining SG-1?
                                Nope, I firmly believe Jonas never even managed to hit Teal'c, but that Teal'c took pity on him and promised to put in a good word for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X