This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commander Barry Garner

I don't know what to make of him? He's such a unusual character.

He's what happens when you put a mechanic in charge of a Battlestar. My question is why the hell did Adama put him in charge. I know Pegasus command is the red kiss of death, but wasn't there ANYONE more qualified? Whatabout that Captain Kelly from Galactica? He seems relativly compitent and a take charge kinda guy.
    Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

I think Adama wanted someone from the Pegasus to take in charge. And Garner was the most qualified person in Pegasus to become commander.

Comment

Originally posted by titans
        He's what happens when you put a mechanic in charge of a Battlestar. My question is why the hell did Adama put him in charge. I know Pegasus command is the red kiss of death, but wasn't there ANYONE more qualified? Whatabout that Captain Kelly from Galactica? He seems relativly compitent and a take charge kinda guy.

Adama said that Garner was the best they have when Tigh asked him the same question. I don't think that anyone from Galactica would have made the situation on Pegasus better.

Lee was there acting as temporary XO, but to the eyes of the Pegasus command group, he proved himself to be able to do the right things in the face of danger and got them out of that crappy situation that Garner landed them in. Didn't you see the look of respect and shock on that Communications Officer's face when he told Lee that the Cylon ship was fleeing.

As for Garner, he was an engineer, he wasn't meant to be in a job like this, he doesn't know anything about how the cylons attack or what sort of tactics to use when dealing with a cylon ship(he might know a few). But he was the best Adama can find out of Pegasus.

"Tibet is not a contact information, it's a country. Why not just write Earth while you're at it, incase anyone needs to know where Tibet is?"- Ingrid from Uptown Girls

Comment

I sure hope Lee has better luck with that ship. She's been pretty rough to her last three Commanders.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hmmm...ya...Lee better not get shot, choked, or suffocated...lol...I'm sure they'll find a much more interesting way for him to die...(lol jk)

Comment

hey like what?

Comment

I thought Barry would have been the perfet XO because of his intimate knowldge of the ships systems and internal crew operations. I thought Fiske's Xo was going to become commander. He has little screen time but he still would have been more quaified than Barry

Comment

well, commander garner wasn't a people person. in order to command people, you have to have skills in dealing with people. also, garner came into command with a chip on his shoulder. most commanders are former viper pilots, who get all the glory and honor, while engineers and the knuckle draggers do all the work and get no credit. this was part of his disdain towards starbuck. this attitude led him to make rash decisions that got his ship in a very bad situation. in my humble opinion, barry garner is no hero. his ship was severely damaged and a lot of people were wounded or killed. if he had survived, he would have been stripped of his command at the very least. more than likely he would have spent time breaking rocks in the brig. however, he did redeem himself personally by restoring the cooling system to working order. he made a mistake and did what he could to fix the mistake.

Comment

Working...
                  X