Kirks Defence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirks Defence

What is it with anti-Kirkers out there. On the forms here and all that, i do get a sense of anti-kirk. Your not a fan, that's cool. But man, i get the feeling that it's down to 'political correctness', two words which i HATE, as i feel it's causing more problems than solving.

So, I would like this thread to be for kirk defenders out there. If you have an argument, bring it along for good old healthy debate. Flamers, please stay away.

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
    Lister: 'Why not?'
    Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
    Cat: 'Can we see him?'
    Rimmer: 'See who?'
    Cat: 'The king.'
    Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
    Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
    Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

I noticed that starting with the third movie onward, the character of Kirk has slowly been diminished and degraded. His great accomplishments were taken out of context and motives and methods routinely demeaned. It's a real disservice to a great heroic character--without whom all the later iterations of Star Trek would not exist. And I don't have blinders on and I'm not indulging in hero worship--Picard is actually my favorite captain of the various incarnations of Star Trek, but I recognize Kirk for the trailblazer and great man(albeit flawed--as are we all) that he was.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Kirk was OF HIS TIME. So his antics may seem a bit non PC these days, so what, they have to be seen in the context of the times.
      sigpic
      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Captain Kirk's a true legend. Shepherd should be honoured to be compared to him!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Yes sheppard should be honored. Everyone knows the name of kirk. thats how big he was
          sigpic
          Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Because humanity exploring the starts is not consist of banging alien chicks.

Comment

Originally posted by npattis
              Are you trying to say,

Just because humanity is exploring the stars doesn't mean there has to be sex with hot aliens?

Did Sheppard even really have sex with them, or was it just senseless flirting?
              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

(Insert any number of jokes here)

He's only human. He can only resist so much.
                Last edited by Anubis69; 21 February 2006, 03:01 PM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                  Kirk was OF HIS TIME. So his antics may seem a bit non PC these days, so what, they have to be seen in the context of the times.
                  That's my take on the issue as well.

Comment

Well, of course it doesn't. But the original series first aired in the late 1960's. The time of free love and throwing all sexual morals out the window was in full swing (no pun intended) and the series picked up on that.

Another thing that is not generally acceptable to say these days, but surely has a bearing, is the high value that some women put on power. (How else can you explain Donald Trump's many marriages?) Many of the worlds the Enterprise visited were technologically not as advanced as the federation and having sexual control over a man was one of the few ways a woman could exert power (that episode with Tyree and his wife and the mako root, for example--I'm drawing a blank on the name). These things wouldn't fly today, but we are talking about a show that is forty years old.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                      I noticed that starting with the third movie onward, the character of Kirk has slowly been diminished and degraded. His great accomplishments were taken out of context and motives and methods routinely demeaned. It's a real disservice to a great heroic character--without whom all the later iterations of Star Trek would not exist. And I don't have blinders on and I'm not indulging in hero worship--Picard is actually my favorite captain of the various incarnations of Star Trek, but I recognize Kirk for the trailblazer and great man(albeit flawed--as are we all) that he was.
                      I would have to totally agree. Kirk set the bar by which all other Captains, better or not, are judged by. Whether you like him or not, he is the standard for captains in Trek.
                      -Hamy Seven

Col. O'Neill: "Jaffa jokes? Let's hear one of them."

Teal'c: "I shall attempt to translate one O'Neill. A serpent guard, a Horus guard, and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The Horus guard's beak glistens. The Setesh guard's...nose drips." [Teal'c bursts into laughter]

3x02 Seth

Comment

All of the main characters in Trek: TOS were flawed. They were written that way so that Rodenberry could wax poetic.

Kirk: Will and Impulse: Perseveres, Never quits, sees a way past trouble, beds a lot of women

Spock: Logic and Intellect: Restrains and informs impulse, Pursued logic until he discovered its limitations (Trek Movie #1).

Kirk needs Spock to restrain and inform. Spock needs Kirk because his passion drives things and sets up Spock to contribute

McCoy: Emotion, Compassion: Restrains and Informs impulse, but from a different perspective than Spock. Wars with Logic (Spock) for the captain's ear.

By himself, Kirk is a flawed captain. But with the whole troika, there is no better captaincy

Comment

Thats where i think the other trek captains failed... except for Picard. By trying to make the other captains perfect, it made them NOT perfect, if you know what i mean.

Kirk is the greatest captain in my eyes, flaws and all.

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
                          Lister: 'Why not?'
                          Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
                          Cat: 'Can we see him?'
                          Rimmer: 'See who?'
                          Cat: 'The king.'
                          Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
                          Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
                          Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

I don't know why there's Kirk bashing as it is - maybe he's too popular or what? I mean, he's still actively making commericials and getting involved with things -- who knows.

Kirk IS Star Trek....His character I think really helped TOS. If Captain Pike was Kirk instead would the series even have lifted off? Hmm...

It's all about the personality and the character.

Originally posted by Smegger56
                            What is it with anti-Kirkers out there. On the forms here and all that, i do get a sense of anti-kirk. Your not a fan, that's cool. But man, i get the feeling that it's down to 'political correctness', two words which i HATE, as i feel it's causing more problems than solving.

So, I would like this thread to be for kirk defenders out there. If you have an argument, bring it along for good old healthy debate. Flamers, please stay away.
                            Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

Originally posted by Kensterman
                              Kirk IS Star Trek....His character I think really helped TOS. If Captain Pike was Kirk instead would the series even have lifted off? Hmm...

It's all about the personality and the character.
                              Good point: Captain Pike, middle name "Forgettable". Now that is one thing Kirk wasn't.
                              sigpic
                              "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Working...
                              X