Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Coup D'etat

Nitpicks/critiques:

-Why on earth didn't Weir and the others ask for the charge status of the ZPM before making any agreements? That was the first thing I thought of, and sure enough it came back to bite them in the end. They were this close to losing Shep, McKay, and a good chunk of their military, all because they didn't think of something so simple.

Well, they could have said anything, and since Ladon was on the run, it's not like he had an iPod to plug into the ZPM to prove it worked

-When the enemy has an unopened box and you have no idea of the contents, you get him to open it before sliding it to you. Come on Shep, you should know this stuff.

Drama! Plus Shep was certainly close enough that it were a bomb, Ladon would get nailed too, unless of course you made a directional type nail bomb...

-How did the Genii know which team members have the ATA gene? I can guess that they knew about Shep and McKay from earlier dealings, but what about Lorne, who I'm guessing came over with the Deddy? If they were spying on offworld teams then either they're extremely clever and sneaky or the offworld teams are getting lax...

Um, um.... He googled it! I have no idea. Anybody who pilots has the gene, so that could account for some of them....

Quote Originally Posted by GatetheWay
    If they had asked the Genii could of just lied about it or said they didn't have the technology to know. Anyway, Laden said they stole it from the Brotherhood and Atlantis knew for a fact that had been a fully charged ZPM.
    One idea would have been to send Rodney or another scientist alone to verify that the ZPM does indeed work and only then start trading negotiations.
    Also, if it is the Brotherhood ZPM, how did the Genii deplete it? I didn't think they had the technology to do so. Not to mention it must have been a lot of work to deplete a fully charged ZPM. What were they doing? Could Laden have been lying - instead of the Brotherhood ZPM it was another, discarded one?

If Laden is indeed telling the truth about stealing the ZPM from the Brotherhood then I wonder if the Brotherhood is still around or if the Genii wiped them out...

Quote Originally Posted by macktheknife
    BTW, No sora makes mack a sad panda.
    Ditto...except for the panda thing. I was wondering which side she would have chosen. It's likely that she's fighting with the coup rather than against - maybe she's off with Kolya?

-Why on earth didn't Weir and the others ask for the charge status of the ZPM before making any agreements? That was the first thing I thought of, and sure enough it came back to bite them in the end. They were this close to losing Shep, McKay, and a good chunk of their military, all because they didn't think of something so simple.
    It's worth pointing out that Laiden also presented himself as not knowing much about what the ZPM really was. They might not have asked for the charge status because they didn't want to give him any hints about how potentially powerful/destructive it was. Also as pointed out, how exactly was he supposed to check it anyway, even if they did ask?

For those pointing out that the Daedalus wasn't around to cheap shot the plot by beaming everyone out I think you're missing something rather important using that as a complaint. The daedalus being around and beaming everyone out in some big deus ex machina technowank cheese fest would have made the episode worse not better. I applaud Gero for not resorting to something cheap like that to resolve the hostage situation here. It's also perfectly reasonable that bad stuff would happen when the Daedalus isn't around to save the day to, so I have no problem accepting it on that level.

Laiden's political games were a much more natural and much more satifying resolution. He'd already brought Cowen there to nuke him and all his boys. Getting his sister back alive then came up as a bonus he hadn't expected. He had no reason to turn it gown given that the SGA hostages were of no other value to his plans so he traded them.

The characters actually had to work their way through this one instead of getting bailed out by stuff like teleporter beams or last minute super tech or throwing knives into a control panel. That's actually what made it so much better than a lot of what's preceeded it.

This episode should be mandatory viewing for anyone writing future episodes. Lets get some more like this coming out and I won't have to ***** so much all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    The characters actually had to work their way through this one instead of getting bailed out by stuff like teleporter beams or last minute super tech or throwing knives into a control panel.
    That's very true, the resolution was believable and satisfactory. I would like to point out though that our heros didn't really save themselves, they just just got lucky that Laiden did want a revolution after all.

Finally a good episode with the Genii in it, all the Genii stories I hated so far, they seem to have no credibility as enemies (to me), but this episode was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOnFire
    One idea would have been to send Rodney or another scientist alone to verify that the ZPM does indeed work and only then start trading negotiations.
    Also, if it is the Brotherhood ZPM, how did the Genii deplete it? I didn't think they had the technology to do so. Not to mention it must have been a lot of work to deplete a fully charged ZPM. What were they doing? Could Laden have been lying - instead of the Brotherhood ZPM it was another, discarded one?

If Laden is indeed telling the truth about stealing the ZPM from the Brotherhood then I wonder if the Brotherhood is still around or if the Genii wiped them out...

Didn't Laden tell Shep, when Shep was tied to the chair, that the ZPM had been in the Genii archives and they didn't know what it was for when they found it and dusted it off. So they used it to bait Shep and Co? Or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOnFire

Laden had SAID he had stolen it from the Brotherhood but he lied about that. The Atlantians thought he had the Brotherhood ZPM which they knew for sure was fully charged, so why bother asking? And what were the chances he would have a dummy ZPM? I was spoiled to the wrost degree on this episode and I didn't even see it coming. Even if they had sent someone to "test" it, Laden could of said he didn't want to show it to them afraid they would double cross him, which they probably would of.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3967&dateline=1196580684
Your Current Signature Picture

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!

So, two questions:

1.) Is Atlantis pretty much destined to NEVER have a steady supply of ZPMs at their disposal? If so, OK, great. But what does that matter if they have a steady supply of Daedalus-like spaceships at their disposal? I'm all for instant travel, but the Daedalus seems to be mighty popular - Caldwell's always there to heckle people.

2.) Is the general consensus that Teyla and Ronon WEREN'T reduced to Lame Subplot/B-Plot this time and/or didn't played a heavy role in the story alongside their team members? I'm just wondering. Let me know!

I want to know how in the hell the Genii were able to (1) subdue Lorne's team, (2) strip them of their uniforms and dogtags, (3) dress other bodies with the uniforms, (4) set the building on fire, and (5) escape with four presumidly unconsicous or reluctant people all in a measily half hour! Not to mention that someone, either the Geni or the locals, had to put out the fire by the time Sheppard's team arrived.
    Last edited by GatetheWay; January 11th, 2006 at 03:20 PM.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3967&dateline=1196580684
Your Current Signature Picture

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    . Even Cowen was smart here, he only lost because Laiden was just that much smarter. No one was really caught acting stupid here, even the SGA team didn't really have a choice but to try and get that ZPM.

Hot damn this is the kind of episode I want to see more of.

10/10
    Nope, I still think Cowen is quite dumb for the mentioned reason...
    Otherwise, I whole-heartedly agree with you...
    *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Captain

I want to know how in the hell the Genii were able to (1) subdue Lorne's team, (2) strip them of their uniforms and dogtags, (3) dress other bodies with the uniforms, (4) set the building on fire, and (5) escape with four presumidly unconsicous or reluctant people all in a measily half hour! Not to mention that someone, either the Geni or the locals, had to put out the fire by the time Sheppard's team arrived.

I don't know how they pulled off the fire stunt, but the rest could have been done very quickly if the Genii had a lot of men with guns pointed at Lorne's team.

General

Just plain awesome, no doubt about it. There were so many twists and turns, and I had known that ahead of time (not what the turns are, but I knew they were there), so I was analysing scenes, and pretty much saw none of it coming.

So, 5/5, and one last thing: Weir is getting so Hot(!) these days!

Second Lieutenant Buzz Lightyear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starfox
    Raise your hand if you didn't actually believe Lorne was dead.
    Yeah, that plot development was a bit obvious.

Kind of disappointed that Weir didn't immediately realize that the Genii had sent out the wanted posters. After all, how many other races knew about the ATA gene?

I didn't see the depleted ZPM coming, that was a good move.
    I thought it was lazy writing to not have Weir et al immediately suspect the Genii for the wanted posters *AND* question whether the ZPM actually functioned, rather than assuming it did. They've encountered far more depleted ZPM's than working ones. Of course, another valid question is how the Genii would have known if a ZPM was depleted or not.

Oh Weir, condoning coups and working with new revolutionary governments. Where oh where is your character going to be by the end of this season?
    Whether she condones coups or not on foreign worlds is probably irrelevant, but in point of fact, she didn't condone the premise for the coup because she sent Sheppard and McKay to warn Cowen. (Don't really know why McKay needed to go on that errand or the later mission either.) Later, when it was a choice between accepting Ladon's offer to free her men and not criticizing his nuking Cowen's battalion, it was a no-brainer, considering what Cowen was prepared to do to those same men.
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Second Lieutenant Buzz Lightyear's Avatar

Laden had SAID he had stolen it from the Brotherhood but he lied about that. The Atlantians thought he had the Brotherhood ZPM which they knew for sure was fully charged, so why bother asking? And what were the chances he would have a dummy ZPM? I was spoiled to the wrost degree on this episode and I didn't even see it coming. Even if they had sent someone to "test" it, Laden could of said he didn't want to show it to them afraid they would double cross him, which they probably would of.
    I had serious doubts on the validity of Ladon's claim to having found the Brotherhood's ZPM. And so too should the Atlantis expedition. There was no precedent for Weir et al to trust Ladon, based on their previous encounters. If the Genii knew what a ZPM was used for, offering it in trade for a few guns and explosives is like trading a functioning nuclear power plant for a dozen box cutters and a couple of Molotov cocktails. If Ladon had asked for one or two puddle jumpers in exchange for the ZPM, that at least would have been more plausible.
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

I agree with those that have said that this is propably the best episode of the season. No lame thingamajigs to save the day or overly contrived dodads which is really a breath of fresh air in this show.

One does have to wonder what the hell Cowen was thinking with this stunt. Isn´t he aware of the fact that Atlantis has a battleship around? Even if he knew that it was away from the galaxy at the moment and wouldn´t be back until after this was all over there still remains the fact that the Deadalus could simply have gone into orbit around the Geni homeworld and bombed the sh!t out of their underground city in retaliation. But perhaps he had no idea about the ship

I hope the rest of the season will be like this and keep the focus on action and larger events and not on just one or two characters.

Quote Originally Posted by starfox
    Raise your hand if you didn't actually believe Lorne was dead.
    *raises hand*
    http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/3033/lucius2sigtx7.jpg
    Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Staff Sergeant

When i first started watching the ep, i thought it was awesome. I was wondering what the hell was going on, really got me thinking, etc etc. I thought it seemed un atlantisish for what they were meant to be doing to the resistance movement, and that the episode was going downhill by then, turning into a typical genii thestormcloneplot, but fortunly, by the end of the episode it had got me thinking more and had a much better resolution. Notably i had considered whether the title would be referring to an overthrow of atlantis or the genii for most of the episode (you know, while we *think* it was making reference to a genii overthrow, it could have actually been an atlantis one). Toward the middle-end of the episode it seemed they weren't going to gain anything which annoyed me, but it was good at the end that at least they gained an ally and mended their alliance. Overall, good episode.

I agree with the general opinion here, very good episode, only beaten this Season by Critical Mass.

When Rodney was talking about getting the second ZPM and the new funky things they could do with all the extra power to Atlantis he mentioned that they might even be able to get it to fly. I know that he quickly said that wasn't possible but this could that be a pointer to the future. We know that Atlantis is effectively a big spacehsip. Do you think we'll ever have a city zipping around the Pegasus Galaxy. That would be a interesting sight.

Second Lieutenant

Question COUP D'ETAT - Options *Spoiler Warning*

Hey everyone. This is my first time posting on gateworld.net but i've been visiting this site for some time now, and really like what goes on in the discussion board.I was watching the episode, COUP D'ETAT, and something really bugged me about that episode.

Spoiler:

1) About the rescue, wouldn't it have been better to just beam up the hostages with the Daedalus. Whats so good about having an awesome Battle Cruiser if its not there to protect or assist people.

2) With Laydon (sp?) having the ZPM when Weir authorized Sheppard to go in and secure the ZPM, why not just beam the ZPM up.

3) Lastly, if they were going to attempt a rescue, instead of sending teams into a firefight, at least have the Daedalus blast them with their rail guns.

Its kinda sad really that when things gets exciting, the Daedalus is never around.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast