X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who should lead SG1?(Spoilers)

Carter or Mitchell?
    Leading on from my chain of command thread.
    I've asked the kind Mod's to add a poll,hopefully they will soon.
    Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell
    31.04%
    Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter
    61.41%
    Dr. Daniel Jackson
    4.11%
    Teal'c
    3.44%
    Support Stargate and Stargate Atlantis to be made avalaible via i-tunes, write your support on this thread and vote in the poll to get Sony to put the show on i-tunes.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23944

I personally think that Carter should lead SG1 cuz as good as Mitchell is, he doesnt know the team as well as Carter and from the little we have seen of him, yeah hes funny but Carter could prob do a better job, after all shes a lot smarter than Mitchell

Comment

It's a tough choice. Carter deserves it, but it would screw up the whole dynamic of the show. So I'm really not sure.

Comment

^Good point, it prob wouldnt seem right with Carter in charge

Comment

Yeah Carter would be the best choice
          sigpic
          Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Well, I tried to post this in the other thread, but it looks like it's more of a war zone than a discussion, so I'll give it another go here.

---

In the current scenario as developed by the writers for season nine, I have to respectfully say I think it has to be Carter. Primarily because we've seen Mitchell written as less than ept when it comes to the leadership issue.

I've read others who strongly support Mitchell as being the "tactical" leader whereby Carter should necessarily be the analytical 2IC, but I can't agree with that because Mitchell simply isn't written as Carter's tactical superior.

It would be simpler for me to agree with that kind of logic if there was a strong tactical commander in place. A commander with the appropriate experience and decisiveness to lead the team, and who has enough behind him or her that the other 3 members of SG-1 could truly respect that individual as a leader. Someone higher ranking than Carter, and someone who's been around the block a lot more times in the tactical arena. In that case, I would concur that Carter would continue to be an outstanding analytical mind to second any tactical genuis in the field that way.

Thus far, however, the writing for season nine has portrayed Cameron Mitchell as flighty, prone to rash, often dangerous lapses in military judgement, and less than experienced. He's not Carter's superior in anything (other than perhaps his ability as a pilot - though we don't even know for certain if that's the case yet, either). As the new leader for the flag-ship team at the SGC? No way.

He flys by the seat of his pants - even in the face of experienced counsel to the contrary. He makes careless decisions and deals with their ramifications in an overzealous, almost childish manner, and more often than not, he doesn't abide by the advice and suggestions of his team mates vis a vis their respective expertise(s).

While Jack O'Neill was irreverant and had little patience for pandering to authority simply for the sake of "rules", even he was depicted as an effectual leader, as a seasoned professional in the heat of combat, and as a competent and decisive decision-maker who put the needs and the safety of his team before his personal agenda(s).

Thus far, Carter has shown far more tactical decision-making prowess than Mitchell has when it comes to the command scenarios we've seen in season nine.

Mitchell gets up and runs into conflic screaming and weapons blazing; Carter calculates and forms a logical analysis of a situation, then executes. It's a different style than O'Neill but none less effective, and the writing this season has suppored the innuendo that the team turns more often to Sam Carter for guidance in that respect, than to Mitchell. She knows what's going on, she's got the risks lined up, and she's been more than capable.

I haven't seen that in Mitchell. I see him as more of a hot-head without a moderator in place. And I think that's the way TPTB have intended to write his character. Ergo if it's a choice between Carter and Mitchell for CO in the chain of command, Carter wins hands down.

minigeek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Thats a big evaluation you got there

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper One
                It's a tough choice. Carter deserves it, but it would screw up the whole dynamic of the show. So I'm really not sure.

Actually, for me, having Mitchell trying to lead SG-1 is screwing up the whole dynamic of the show. It is just not working for me, particularly given how Mitchell has been written in a handful of the episodes. I just don't believe for a minute that Carter, Teal'c and Daniel would really follow this guy. He simply does not have the experience and he is making some big mistakes. As a result, IMO, having Mitchell lead SG-1 is hurting the show.

I believe Carter should lead SG-1 in season 10 and I think the show would be alot better if she did.

Comment

Teal'c should be in charge! He was the first prime of a powerful system lord, making him the general of possibly millions of troops spread out over dozens, maybe hundreds of systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Beal
                    Teal'c should be in charge! He was the first prime of a powerful system lord, making him the general of possibly millions of troops spread out over dozens, maybe hundreds of systems.
                    He was also the only one to stick with the team the whole series!

Comment

Who should lead?

Both Carter and Mitchell could lead.

From a 'what's best for the show' perspective, I say Mitchell. This is because if Carter were to take on the two most important roles in teh show(Science and Lead), then she would very quickly dominate the show. The 'team' feel would be gone. We wouldn't get the explanations we do now, because Sam doesn't need to explain her actions to her subordinates and wouldn't explain them to herself. It would put Teal'c and Daniel in the background and Mitchell would have absoloutly nothing to contribute and nothing to do on the show.
                      So, from that perspective, I say Mitchell.

From an in-show persepective, I still say Mitchell, but it's a much closer race.
                      In the eps that Carter has led, I haven't been impressed with her leadership.
                      She is rude (Dr Lee in 'Paradise Lost'), She makes bad decisions ('Spirits', 'Gemini'), she conceals things from her team for no reason ('NightWalkers'). This isn't to say I dont' think Carter can lead. She would be a great technical leader, ie she knows what to do and how to do it, but she lacks the spark that a real leader has, like Jack.
                      However, command is a natural place for her now Jack has moved on and I can why she'd be feeling a little bit slighted. She's done well in leadership eps too, but, for me, they don't quite balance out. In the lab, no question of following her orders, in the field, I'd be worried.

Now, Mitchell.
                      Yes, he's made mistakes. Humans do that.
                      In Babylon, he probably should have kept his mouth shut.
                      In 'Off The Grid', he really should have sat down and discussed with his team his idea and let them pick holes in it if they could see them. this might have avoided what happened.
                      However, he convinced the team to get back togehter.
                      When he's had to make calls, he's made them and lived with the fallout from them.
                      He's acted like a leader.
                      In 'Avalon', he worked out how to find the treasure, in 'Origin', he devised a way to save Daniel and Vala.
                      In 'Stronghold', he took charge and took the hill, which let him get to Teal'c.
                      In 'Ethon', he took control of the F-302 wing.
                      I think he's shown he's fit for the leadership position and it lets Carter focus on the science side of things, which, as she said more than once, is her priority.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyStargateUK
                        Carter or Mitchell?
                        Leading on from my chain of command thread.
                        I've asked the kind Mod's to add a poll,hopefully they will soon.

sam.

simply the best.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          Actually, for me, having Mitchell trying to lead SG-1 is screwing up the whole dynamic of the show. It is just not working for me, particularly given how Mitchell has been written in a handful of the episodes. I just don't believe for a minute that Carter, Teal'c and Daniel would really follow this guy. He simply does not have the experience and he is making some big mistakes. As a result, IMO, having Mitchell lead SG-1 is hurting the show.

I believe Carter should lead SG-1 in season 10 and I think the show would be alot better if she did.
                          I agree with you...and minigeek, that was an excellent breakdown. Right on all counts.

Two thumbs up to you both!

Oh, my answer? Samantha Carter without question.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I'm indifferent with Carter leading but Mitchell isn't impressing me at all, especially after the latest episodes. I'll take Carter over that any day.

I had no problem with an outsider coming in and leading SG1, but I was expecting someone who had more maturity and experience, someone who oozed leadership. Mitchell doesn't fit the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              sam.

simply the best.

sally

Sam Carter!

Comment

Working...
                              X