This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth vs. Goa'uld tech.

Just something I've been thinking about lately...say we didn't start using the gate when we did, and instead waited until we were more advanced. How long would it take for us to develop technology that could defeat the goa'uld?(or atleast put up a decent defense agaisnt them) Obviously, no one really could know, but assuming we keep at our current rate and the goa'uld don't become much more advanced then they are, my guess is around 200 or 300 years. Any thoughts?

I think 200 or 300 years is probably a good guess, maybe even a little less if we spend all our time on developing new technology.

Comment

Well see technology advances only as fast as well as the society developing it functions. Here on Earth, well it's a huge mess. Everything takes forever and our society has no direction. So, I guess 100 would be sufficient.

*SPOILERS*
      If you look at the Euronda, their society obviously had a very specific direction. So they were able to develop technologies much faster than we can. Also, the Aschen. They were very advanced and had a very specific purpose. We here on Earth, basically spend our lives twiddling our perverbial thumbs.

Comment

That's a good question. So far, most scientists belive we cannot travel FTL, but....

Comment

Yeah, well screw what science says. These are the same scientists taking pot shots at black hole theories and the same people that said that breaking the sound barrier would cause your eye balls to explode.

Comment

The same scientists who were scared of steam engine trains because they thought the human body couldn't withstand speeds over 25 MPH? The same scientists who said there was nothing faster than the speed of light untill that infamous cesium gas experiment? Oh yeah, I see where you're going. There are physicists who theorize we could achieve FTL speeds, but so far, I have not heard of any succesful experiments with sending anything larger than an electron/proton/neutron at FTL speeds.

Comment

Baby steps man, baby steps...

Comment

If you went back hundreds of years ago and asked scientists if you could make anything move faster than sound, you'd probably get the same reply as we're getting now with FTL. It's probably only a matter of time before we find some way to travel faster than light

Comment

The heck with baby steps, I want quantum leaps. I want my own stargate or my own FTL capable spaceship darn it. (Yes, I severely lack in patience).

Comment

Well all do buddy, we all do.... :/

Comment

Even if we've really advance this 50 last years ... it was because of the cold war ... the USA spend lot of money to "fight" aigainst the russian Since that we don't have developped a lot of new tech. ... I think 4-500years if u refer to years 1500 to 2000 ! the tech. is slow to devellop, because of the american capitalist ! They only spend money in research when we're in war ... other time they don't care !

Damn capitalist ...
                      - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                      - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                      - The Nox

Comment

Another factor would probably be the dark ages and such mentioned when we first met the Tollan's, but maybe this was mentioned above somewhere
                        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

yes and they say this age ... was 800years long !

Then with my 4-500years im even not far enough !

Remember the Aschens they're probably our best evolutions ... [Technologicly: robot will make our food, we'll have different planet, very nice weapons; but without the crazy things ] If u delete the fact that they're suckers ... I only speak technologicly ! Cause the Tollan do not interact really with other peoples ... we do !
                          - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                          - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                          - The Nox

Comment

Originally posted by po134
                            Even if we've really advance this 50 last years ... it was because of the cold war ... the USA spend lot of money to "fight" aigainst the russian Since that we don't have developped a lot of new tech. ... I think 4-500years if u refer to years 1500 to 2000 ! the tech. is slow to devellop, because of the american capitalist ! They only spend money in research when we're in war ... other time they don't care !

Damn capitalist ...
                            I'm totally against capitalism... And you're right. The entire idea of capitalism is to make people consume, which makes people money so they can consume and so on and so forth. That's all you do in this system- consume. There's no advancing except for... *drum droll* MORE CONSUMER PRODUCTS!

I hate capitalism.

Comment

So far, I think capitalism is the best method of advancing tech, especially with patents. Give people temporary monopolies on their inventions/ideas so theycan make a profit. It's an incentive based system, it gives people incentives to advance technology. Communisim, or a communal society, is a great idea in theory. The harder everybody works, the better off everyone becomes. However, we've seen it fail without capatilist reforms. On the same token, capatilist societies tend to fail without social reforms (US Great Depression anybody).

If you got a better system, you should tell it and get the world going on that instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X