This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reveal the sg program

what do u guys think would happen if we were told of something like the stargate... panic or unite the world?
    "I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony."
    "Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried."
    "I shot him. In the leg."
    "I'm invulnerable."
    "Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?"
    "In-vul-ner-able!"

I think most people probably believe in intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy anyway, so I don't think it would cause a mass panic or anything--maybe a little anxiety, a few fainting spells here and there but nothing serious.
    JOIN THE FIGHT FOR GALACTIC DOMINATION!

http://stargatewars.com/recruit.php?uniqid=dl1158117270

Comment

Massive panic.

Believing in aliens is one thing. I can shout from the roof tops that I believe in Klingons or some such.

Actually being told is different. Veeery different.

Comment

A person is intelligent and understanding.

People are stupid and xenophobic.

There would be massive panic, anger, and disbelief with small pockets of people that welcome it.

All in all, I could see it starting mass riots from religious fundamentalists who have just had the last vestiges of hope that we are unique and were created "in God's image" blasted from their sense of reality. On the political front, the US and the members of the Intl. Commitee would be in deep sh*t with the countries that haven't been informed yet.

And some of those countries have nuclear weapons, and they might not react too well to the technological gap between them and the world that are in the "Starge Club." It could be an excuse for hard-liners in those governments to launch a first-strike.

I could easily see the revelation of something as major as the Stargate Program as having the ability to destabilize governments and lead quickly to war.

And belive it or not, I'm a "half full" person.

Comment

Wasn't "Icon" something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
            Massive panic.

Believing in aliens is one thing. I can shout from the roof tops that I believe in Klingons or some such.

Actually being told is different. Veeery different.

Massive panic? I don't know. I don't think the vast majority of people would really panic unless there was some kind of alien invasion and civilization was on the verge of imminent destruction.
            JOIN THE FIGHT FOR GALACTIC DOMINATION!

http://stargatewars.com/recruit.php?uniqid=dl1158117270

Comment

I belive that the world could split up in two groups and there would be panic. But I do think the we have the right to know if there is something like that!

Hallowed are the fans of Stargate!

Comment

economic crisis because people would fear a war(which they can t win).

Comment

Originally posted by XxDark-LordxX
                  what do u guys think would happen if we were told of something like the stargate... panic or unite the world?
                  Neither, but every new member on GW would start a thread on it, this has been done to death.

Personally I think the world would go like the planet in Icon, massive war, religion vs science etc would escalate.
                  Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                  - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

That's just good. We'd finally be able to quash those moronic fundies (of all faiths).

There wouldn't be panic, no, I don't think so. What the HELL would they panic about?! We wouldn't tell them about the imminent doom that's always awaiting us, of course.

"Oh noes! There are aliens! HUMAN aliens! OMFG! Quickly! Panic!".

The religious fundies would go "Oh noes! We've been proven wrong!", but they wouldn't start a war. Maybe the morons who are ALREADY suicide bombing people would, but we'll just use some well deployed Tok'ra weapons and wipe them out. It's about time someone did.

OR, the Asgard could beam them off to some prison colony.

Comment

I think that the world would react calmly to something like the stargate being revealed....

Theres only one bad thing that i can see outta it being revealed.... greed :rolleyes

The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Most people like me would want to know what they have found out, most people would be supportive I would think, the only mass anything would be parties celebrating the fact we have found life outside of our planet.
                        It would give this planet and us a better perspective as well i.e we aren't alown and we should be to resovle differences on this planet if we are ever going to get anywhere in the universe as a whole planet.
                        Support Stargate and Stargate Atlantis to be made avalaible via i-tunes, write your support on this thread and vote in the poll to get Sony to put the show on i-tunes.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23944

Comment

The religious fundies would go "Oh noes! We've been proven wrong!", but they wouldn't start a war. Maybe the morons who are ALREADY suicide bombing people would, but we'll just use some well deployed Tok'ra weapons and wipe them out. It's about time someone did.

OR, the Asgard could beam them off to some prison colony.
                          Yes... that would certainly be the right thing to do. Imprison people for their religious beliefs.

Good job for making us worse than the Ori and Goa'uld. Way to go.

Anyway...

I think a lot of you "the world would react fine" people have your heads up your asses. It's not a bad thing you think that way, it's a good thing, because I hope you're right.

But I don't think you are.

Governments like India and Pakistan (you know, those two 3rd world countries, one of which is filled with fundamentalist Muslims that have nukes) would really okay with the notion that basically the nations that make up the Christian west and China have put the entire planet at repeated risk of annhilation. That all those meteor showers over the past few years have actually been alien craft either crashing into or attacking the planet. Oh yes, and these countries have weapons technology far superior to our own. Yeah... those governments and their people would be totally happy for us, wouldn't they?

Oh, and let's just wait 'til the "Kabbalah/Scientoloy quick-fix I need immediate spiritual and religious fulfillment" crowd react when they find out about Origin. What about the "I've spent my entire life devoted to this religion which I've now lost faith in and I'm looking for something deeper and more meaningful that has a God which will actually help me" people's utter rejection of a religion which promises enlightenment, and what's this, these gods actually do things.

If the Stargate Program were made public, Origin would eventually get out as well. And there are more than enough people on Earth that would be more than happy to willingly follow it. Like all those 3rd world African countries who have been in drought for 10 years and suddenly their fields are fertile again. Or the "I've lost my faith" crowd. Or the "I need a quick-fix religon" crowd.

Anyway, none of it's real so this is entirely academic.

Comment

Originally posted by Abydos1
                            Massive panic? I don't know. I don't think the vast majority of people would really panic unless there was some kind of alien invasion and civilization was on the verge of imminent destruction.
                            Ahh but see that's the problem. They will be told that we were on the verge of alien invasions, a couple times; that the planet was almost destroyed several times and we're fighting yet another war... on other planets; that the star trek vision of outer space is not so much filled with Vulcans so much as alien parasites that could be among us and god-like aliens who are out to kill us and nearly succeeded.... not exactly inspiring.

I don't know about panic in the streets but I think we'd get Kinsey-like reactions all over and the politics of it all would be a huge mess and the SG program could collapse or at least be completely reworked. Just imagine the post 9-11 political dramas and multiply it by 10. There would be so many congressional hearings we wouldn't see the end of it for years. And everyone who knew and kept the secret would be in hot water politically.

.... that is if they ever dealt with it realistically, which they wouldn't; too inconvenient.

Ironically, I think the secret would be better revealed in a shocking way. People would need to be slapped in the face with it in a way that would give them no choice but to adjust fast.... or die. They wouldn't have time for conspiracy theories, denial, terrorism, or politics.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Let's not forget that just about every scifi/alien show would get cancelled.

Comment

Working...
                              X