This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Flood Insurance: Sane Budget Cuts

I'm no fan of the Bush administration's foreign and domestic security policies, but his proposal for cuts to subsidized flood insurance are something I've wanted to see for a decade.

President's Budget Plan to Include Cuts to Flood Insurance Program

If adopted, subsidized insurance rates for vacation homes and for homes rebuilt on flood plains would be a thing of the past. The uberwealthy who want to live on sandbars and individuals who aren't willing to rebuild outside of flood plains would no longer have taxpayer assistance when their fiscally foolish behavior leads to flood damage.

Granted, the Clilnton administration made some efforts in this direction, but I suspect that the Bush administration will have more success after the massive Katrina expenditure.

THIS is the kind of thing I miss: smart budget thinking that isn't dogma driven, but instead is just economically savvy. When a public program starts supporting the wrong kinds of behavior, change it.

I agree with this budget cut. I never understood why people that live in flood plains get federal money to keep rebuilding when their homes are prone to flooding. Living in St. Louis, I always hear stories on the news about people who have gotten money to rebuld time and time again when the Mississippi floods. One guy had gotten insurance money 10 different times over the past 2 decades to rebuild, the cost was something like 5 or 6 times the cost of the house. I think if people have homes in areas that are prone to flood or hurricane that I shouldn't have to subsidize their insurance. They should have to pay it all.

Comment

I couldn't be more in favor of this either. It has been like govt support for stupidity. I understand the first rebuilding effort and will let a second one slide but three times is a huge blatant signal from the heavens above and the earth below that is time to move. There is no reason to use money better spent elsewhere to bloster someone's love of the view from their porch.

Just out of curiosity, since this article is several years old has this already been implemented?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Working...
      X