This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Invitation to Fanfiction Authors

I'm J. Marcus Xavier, director and producer of the 'Silent Universe' scifi podcast (www.silentuniverse.com).

I'm posting on the Gateworld forums because I am seeking talented and passionate fanfic writers, who are interested in gaining professional exposure by participating in a collaborative scifi series development program. As an avid fanboy and an old fanfiction writer myself, I'm very familiar with the way that larger professional production companies tend to treat their fan base: apathetic at best, with subpoenas at worst. After interning at the Sci Fi Channel a few years ago, I realized that the attitude among studio executives toward us is overwhelmingly negative. Thinking scifi fans incapable of producing quality and entertaining stories, our ideas are often unfairly ignored. But it wasn't always this way...

The 'Silent Universe' is an edgy space drama with an interactive twist, which mixes thematic elements of "24" and the new "Battlestar Galactica" into an all-original scifi adventure. If you want to know more details, please visit our story on the Slice of Sci Fi Podcast, our press release on PRWeb or listen to the "teaser trailer" on iTunes or any generic podcast reader.

Authors and contributors who participate will be given full recognition for direct material used in an episode of the 'Silent Universe' podcast. We have a professional cast of voice actors, and a group of story supervisors who all apreciate the dramatic possibilities of science fiction. Everything we're trying to do with this production is to push the envelope of professionalism: the core premise of the 'Silent Universe' is to turn the assumption that fans can't create something truly worthwhile on it's ear. By encouraging as much group participation and feedback as possible, we hope to prove that amateur and semi-pro writers can create compelling and entertaining content to rival some of the media found on television today.

The premiere episode (already completed by "in house" staff) is scheduled to be released (iTunes / Generic / BitTorrent available soon) this coming Wednesday, the 15th of February. If interested, please contact [email protected] for more information or visit silentuniverse.com

Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing from you,

Best,

~ J. Marcus Xavier

The Silent Universe Podcast - A Sci Fi Audio Drama where YOU can actually talk to the people who make it. Read future scripts, discuss plot ideas, help guide the story. Listening to the fans... now there's a thought...

OK, just so I get this right. Silence Universe is essentially a sci-fi series, an audio scifi series which we download and listen to, like a book on tape?
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Yes, a podcast. It can be either downloaded free to your iPod or your computer (through itunes or other podcasting software). After listening, folks can provide feedback on the story and plot ideas, and help drive the direction of the storyline. It's sortof like a choose-your-own-adventure type deal.

The Silent Universe Podcast - A Sci Fi Audio Drama where YOU can actually talk to the people who make it. Read future scripts, discuss plot ideas, help guide the story. Listening to the fans... now there's a thought...

Comment

I just don't get how they think SciFi fans can't do anything. I mean aren't they also SciFi fans, and aren't all good writers fans of the genre they write in?
        Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

In my experience, it's more a "class" thing than anything else. There are people who are "recognized" writers of professional sci fi, TV shows, books, etc, and then there are the "commoners." Fans, who in situations like the most recent Star Trek, are dismissed or publically ridiculed if they get too "loud."

When I was at the SciFi Channel, the impression that I got was that they're really trying to appeal to the "non-nerd" group; the kinds of people who watch West Wing and Desperate Housewives, but I think this is a wrong-headed approach. Sci fi I think, on it's face, is only going to appeal to a certain type of individual, and trying to "water down" things so that it appeals to the Dawson's Creek crowd is a mistake, in my estimation. I think that by proving that "fanboys" can create something professional and entertaining, we can help lift some of the negative assumptions people have about the genre.

Comment

yes less known or "comman sci fi fans who enjoy to write are looked down upon, the Startrek reference was in fact a superb example of sci fi fans being shut down as mere pathetic and immature fans who are made to feel they have nothing better to do than write crap sci fi, indeed the class stigma is a comman occurance and gives as said more well known writters the feeling that they are above others, having said that it is a comman occurance but hasn't always been that way and some writters would enjoy fans imputs, the unfortunate situation being copywrite and the recent trend in lawsuits as a result have meant that many if not all script/ideas are ignored because of the eventual headache that comes with it.

In my opinion fans from a more varied background can offer ideas that more known writters cannot contribute, this being a rather not so tactful but refreshing plug that started the thread has me feeling rather mifed at the subject, its late for me and i could have gone on all night on it so your lucky that i did't.
            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

This sound like a very interesting concept. a voice based series, that the fan have a part in...if im understanding you right.
              im definitly going to check this out more, is there any basis plot, is it ship based, or are we like the SGC in 200 years or something?
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

Immhotep, I think the following might answer your questions:

Episode 1 of the Silent Universe is now available for download.

As before, if you'd like to subscribe to this podcast, please visit iTunes or add this URL to your podcast reader.

Comment

Working...
                X