This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the puddle jumpers powered by?

I was wondering what they are powered by. Because they never said anything about it.

I've always thought they've got a battery which is charged when they arrive in the Jumper bay.

Comment

Must be a good battery, since they found a jumper in sg-1 that had been on a planet for 10'000 years, which still worked.
      Last edited by AscendedWarrior; 10 February 2006, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedWarrior
        Must be a good batery, since they found a jumper in sg-1 that had been on a planet for 10'000 years.
        That was powered down

Comment

Im not sure but Asgard use neutrino ion generators for their ships so its likely the ancients know about this tech and surpased it but use smaller versions in their smaller ships or something in between Neutrino ion generators and ZPM's.

Its also possible as Anubis said that there could be on board power cells which are just recharged when possible. But where ive got to its not been addressed yet in an ep.

Comment

You are asking a good question in here. I have been wondering myself the same question and indeed it hasn't been mentioned in the show. Perhaps its battery is running on solarpower? I don't know. I am not an expert on science. I want to be one but ...
            Lord Zedd

Comment

Another power source just occured to me. We know large gravity wells can power ancient tech so may be they can tap in to a planets gravity to power smaller craft and tech with almost perpetual energy so long as they are with in the gravitational field. Then battery back for when more power is requirred or they journy in to deep space

Comment

Diesel-electric?

No wait... that's U-Boats.

Um..... Twin Ion Engines?

D'oh, so close!

Comment

This topic just made me think of something else. What are zats and staff weapons powered by?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1121
                    This topic just made me think of something else. What are zats and staff weapons powered by?
                    Liquid Naquadah... or atleast the staff weapons are.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                      That was powered down
                      Yes, but batteries still get empty even if you don't use them.

Comment

A unused battery will not lose it's energy at the same rate as an active one. Yes there will be some loss from an unactivated one, however the Ancients probably had much better ways of maintaining their power stores, giving us a 10,000-yo battery still operational. They weren't using Lithium batteries

Comment

Perhaps the same power source as the DHDs. Those last a pretty long time. I'm going to make a guess and say they had several different power sources; each one suited to its specific task. DHD power sources last for eons but I don't think they would put out enough power to power a large ship with hyperdrives - a short range puddle jumper though... just maybe.

so far we've come across
                          naquadah generators
                          liquid naquadah
                          neutrino ion generators
                          Zpms

feel free to add. Any one or a combination of two might be the thing.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                            Perhaps the same power source as the DHDs. Those last a pretty long time. I'm going to make a guess and say they had several different power sources; each one suited to its specific task. DHD power sources last for eons but I don't think they would put out enough power to power a large ship with hyperdrives - a short range puddle jumper though... just maybe.

so far we've come across
                            naquadah generators
                            liquid naquadah
                            neutrino ion generators
                            Zpms

feel free to add. Any one or a combination of two might be the thing.
                            I think your right evidenced by not all of their tech being designed with ZPM's in mind. Also why use a ZPM which could do the job if an easy to make power source will do the same job and produce all the necessary power for such long periods of time.

Comment

i think it's something between a zpm and a nquadah generator.
                              and just think of the possiblities that if u could hook a n-gen into the jumper.
                              then u could have a super-jumper.

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
                              pps = power per second
                              The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
                              xfire = zpm
                              [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
                              http://m2kclan.com
                              vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
                              port: 3785
                              P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
                              halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
                              Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Working...
                              X