• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Of Them (214)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON TWO
    ONE OF THEM
    EPISODE NUMBER - 214

Rousseau leads Sayid to a prisoner she has captured, believing him to be one of the "Others" -- prompting Sayid to go to great lengths to learn the truth of the man's identity, and bringing up memories of his first initiation as a torturer.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2007, 05:51 PM.

It was great seeing Rousseau again. I hope they do more with that character.

This episode felt the most like what a Lost episode should be. My only complaint, and it's a big one, is the plot development that has Sayyid being seduced into becoming a torturer by Americans. Apparently, a 23 year old soldier in the employ of Saddam Hussein was never exposed to that kind of behavior until he met them nasty 'Mericans. BAER

Yeah, whatever.

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

It was an interesting ep. All I want to know is when they are just going to let that clock hit zero, and not even try to type in the code. Here's what I think will happen when it hits zero: Video iPods pop out from the ceiling, and they find out that it's actually a reality show.
      sigpic

Comment

I thought it was really interesting that one army guy was most likely Kate's dad...connections and all that. But I just thought it was a great effect with Locke and Jack fighting and hearing Sayiid scream and the background...what great tension!

Comment

Pretty good episode. I'm not much of a Sayid fan, but he's ok. His character's kind of funny to me, but he's cool.

1. Ana Lucia just walk away from seeing someone lurking in the woods? I'm sorry, isn't this our paranoid one of the Island? No, "Why, what you gonna do, I'm going with."?? Uh..*blink* a tweed out of character there...

2. Danielle! Whoot! She seemed a bit soft though...ok, very soft. Methinks the old Danielle would have tortured the chap herself...unless it was intended for Sayid to be the one to torture him...

3. Kate's daddy knowed Sayid! Whoo, another of them crossovers! Love it!

4. Would a soldier of another army so easily succumb to torturing one of his own for the enemy? What kind of allegiance is that? If a soldier was dedicated to whatever cause he was working towards, he'd rather be the torturee than do something like that just to save his own skin. Behavior like that, your people tend to brand you a coward.

5. The Glyphs, great stuff. I was hoping that like metal sheets would start slamming down over the walls and a console would unfurl from the floor and The Voice Of God would start counting down or something. Then Locke put them in anyway! What a blip! Ruined my fun! I'd have just let whatever go down and get it over with. But...then that's for the season finale, eh?

6. Sayid going nuts. Boy, you don't get him pissed easily, but you do he's a real peckerwood, ain't he? Then that mysterious look from that chap. Hot air baloon, huh? I have a feeling that's not the only source for hot air. All through that, I'm wondering, what IS it that's being hidden that these people would sacrifice themselves for it. It has to be something cosmically gigantic. And methinks that people from the Lostie's pasts are part of it. That chap tells Sayid he'll need his new 'skills' for later use? Is that so, Soldier...or is that...Agent? Or Official? Doctor, perhaps? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

7. So Sayid was trained - or ratherm unleashed by Americanos, eh? ...I'm still trying to digest that he'd actually DO what the enemy tells him to. What kinda sissy is he?

Overall, great ep. The Glyphs were worth everything.
          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Well, the Americanos did have that tape of the guy he tortured killing all his family members in that village. Don't know if it was legit or not. That was one motivation. There might have been more they just didn't reveal. Though, I don't know for what purpose.

And a smiley-face air balloon? Come ON. That guy IS full of hot air, i totally agree. I started singing "99 Luft Balloons" under my breath. And if you had what you thought at the time was your own private island would you stay in a cave for FOUR MONTHS? Not likely.

Also, at the end with Sayid talking to Charlie, did anyone get the impression that Sayid was trying to recruit his own, Anti-Jack Army? could it be CIVIL WAR looming on the horizon?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Tigress
              at the end with Sayid talking to Charlie, did anyone get the impression that Sayid was trying to recruit his own, Anti-Jack Army? could it be CIVIL WAR looming on the horizon?
              Ah, thought I was the only one thinking that, lol. I can actually see more of a Civil War happening rather than a Losties vs The Others battle. The Losties already have so much dissention amoung them. Certainly not the stuff armies are made of. Everyone either has a grudge against each other or has blackmailed each other or something. The members of the Warmaking Panel seem to have different ideas about how to take the fight to the Others, and they dont' seem to trust each other much...time will tell.
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                Ah, thought I was the only one thinking that, lol. I can actually see more of a Civil War happening rather than a Losties vs The Others battle. The Losties already have so much dissention amoung them. Certainly not the stuff armies are made of. Everyone either has a grudge against each other or has blackmailed each other or something. The members of the Warmaking Panel seem to have different ideas about how to take the fight to the Others, and they dont' seem to trust each other much...time will tell.
                The Others sure would be happy if all the Losties killed eachother off. And I think you're right, alot of them seem to have more beef with eachother than with any other group(s) on the island.

Comment

I'd like to know if Tariq was actually in that video the Soldierboy showed Sayid, 'cause my first thought was, "The Americans did that, now they're just trying to pin it on Tariq."

If Balloon Guy had really been on the island for four months, wouldn't he have heard the plane crash? I mean, an airliner doesn't exactly break in half quietly and the pieces (and people) made a fair bit of noise on landing.

Dunno. Could be he was far enough away not to hear it, but what would be the point of bringing in an "outsider" at this point? And so soon after the Tailies were reuinited with the Fusies?

I remain suspicious of our new friend. But mostly those damn hieroglyphics are driving me buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    I remain suspicious of our new friend. But mostly those damn hieroglyphics are driving me buggy.
                    Wishing you read Ancient Egyptian? So do I. I want to know what that was about too.

I love how Sawyer can't understand why anyone wouldn't be his friend this week yeah. Can't imagine why myself.

I love Sayid and it's awesome to see him being focused on again but now I can't get the image of him dancing in that horrible movie Bride & Prejudice out of my head.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Really good episode, and I'm stumped about those red hieroglyphics.

I got the impression that Sayid had already been exposed to torture tactics previously as he seemed to know which impliments to pick up and what to do. I doubt the Americans gave him a crash course - he was picked for a reason, and it wasn't to translate, as we found out in the end.

More Rousseau! But she wasn't in it for long. Drats.

Sayid's prisoner - I would have asked him where the heck his balloon was. If he crashed on the island, the remnants of that balloon have to be somewhere.

Sayid going to Charlie. Smart move Sayid. Charlie knows where the guns are.

Sawyer - sigh. Thought he was going to show some compassion. Frog murderer!

I love Hurley!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Wild theories:

Rousseau knows more than she's telling. Rousseau is involved with the Dharma Inititative in some way, I'm sure of it. She may have been like Desmond, shipwrecked and then recruited into pushing the button, then going native when another person (Kelvin?) arrived. Or she may have been part of the original Dharma team before the Incident. The fact that she just HAPPENED to capture an Other and turn him over to Sayid says to me that she's manipulating him. For what purpose, I'm not sure yet. Maybe to bring war upon the Others.

I believe that our new friend is an Other, but I also don't believe that his story is false. Maybe he did crash-land on the Island and got "recruited" by the Others just like Rousseau's daughter Alex. "Mister Friendly," our bearded Other leader, doesn't act like he was born in a savage island society. He must have had another life before coming to the Island. Which implies that at least some of the Others weren't born on the Island, but had joined the group or had been kidnapped into it.

I believe that there is no disease. The only people we've heard discussing the disease have been Rousseau, who's a bit whacked; the new guy, who cannot be fully trusted anyway; and Desmond, who's been trapped in the bunker for years and would only have known what Kelvin had told him. I think the disease was a fabrication of the Dharma group, either as a cover story for the Incident or as a means to control their subjects.

These are my theories. They may yet be disproven.
                        Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                        I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                        What have these years left to me?
                        Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Didn't Sayid tell Hurley or someone in Season 1 that the americans trained him to torture?
                          "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
                            Didn't Sayid tell Hurley or someone in Season 1 that the americans trained him to torture?
                            You may be right. I don't have the season 1 DVD's to review.

The "Other" guy's last name was Gale. Remember Dorothy Gale. ."Wizard of Oz" Dorothy. Plus, the Wizard escaped Oz in a balloon. *LOL*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

really wish there was a screen cap of the hieroglyphs.
                              Thanks!
                              Jordan

my page
                              My LJ
                              From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Working...
                              X