This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glyphs Question

Does anyone know if the SG glyphs (especially the /\ representing earth) have any basis in reality? I know the creators borrowed from hieroglyphs, mythology, etc...do the symbols on the gate have a similar basis?
    "....in the MIDDLE of my BACKSWING!!?!"

Originally posted by WebHorn
    Does anyone know if the SG glyphs (especially the /\ representing earth) have any basis in reality? I know the creators borrowed from hieroglyphs, mythology, etc...do the symbols on the gate have a similar basis?
    The symbols on the Milky Way stargates are based on real star constellations.

Comment

The earth POO (the /\) was originally a symbol of a pyramid in the movie. However, as the series progressed, it became an Ancient symbol with a currently unknown origin.
      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I know they're based on real constellations, but did they originate w/ the show/movie or are they lifted from symbols found on earth a la hieroglyphs?
        "....in the MIDDLE of my BACKSWING!!?!"

Comment

Actually, this is one thing that's always bothered my about the show.

The stargate glyphys are based on constellations, but the constellations only appear as they do from Earth. From any other planet, the night sky would look totally different, and the constellations we know them would not be visible.

Unless the Ancients (and all the Stargates in our galaxy) originated from Earth, then something is wrong there.

Comment

I know they're based on real constellations, but did they originate w/ the show/movie or are they lifted from symbols found on earth a la hieroglyphs?
            They originated with the movie. Jackson was brought in to translate them, as they were found alongside Egyptian heiroglyphs.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

They are constellations, the cartouche had Hieroglyphs on as well as gate symbols but they didn't realise what they were until Daniel Jackson figured it out. They are actual constellations like Orion on there and the simbols have stayed the same since the movie.

Now in Atlantis, I think those symbols are constellations, but from Atlantis they will look completely different, and the simbols in Atlantis look a lot more complicated than in SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Conker
                Unless the Ancients (and all the Stargates in our galaxy) originated from Earth, then something is wrong there.
                The Ancients did orginate from Earth.
                sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
                  Do we know that for sure though?

Also, I believe the qeuestion was, did the artists and designers for the show get these symbols from real life Egyptian heroglyphs. My answer is no, they just took star constellations and used those (excpet for the "Earth" symbol, which is a completely fictional symbol).

Comment

In the movie the symbol was a pyramid with a Sun on the top. There hasn't really been much reference to it though in SG-1 it's just our PoO

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                      Do we know that for sure though?

Also, I believe the qeuestion was, did the artists and designers for the show get these symbols from real life Egyptian heroglyphs. My answer is no, they just took star constellations and used those (excpet for the "Earth" symbol, which is a completely fictional symbol).
                      Watch Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
                        Oh, bugger. Guess I'm wrong then. Thanks for the spoiler, anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Conker
                          Actually, this is one thing that's always bothered my about the show.

The stargate glyphys are based on constellations, but the constellations only appear as they do from Earth. From any other planet, the night sky would look totally different, and the constellations we know them would not be visible.

Well I beleive in the movie, The abydos' Gate had ccomplete different symbols on. But thats just the movie though.
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                            Well I beleive in the movie, The abydos' Gate had ccomplete different symbols on. But thats just the movie though.
                            They weren't that different: it was the same constellations but more or less complete... I will could post some screencaps if you want...

Comment

The gate could not have had completely different symbols. Their order may not have been the same, but they could not have had different symbols. The PoO would have been different, but not the glyphs. If the glyphs were completely different on each gate, the network would not be able to allow two wormholes to establish themselves.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Working...
                              X