This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash backs

Flash back episodes can be interesting. However too many in a row can get annoying. The reason why I say this is that they repeat the same scenes over and over again in some instances. Which cuts into story time. How many more of them are going to happen this season?

I’m thinking this is sort of their way of cutting down on their budgetary expenses. At least that is my guess. Stargate has always done a clipshow every season as a way to have a cheap episode to keep the show under budget. I thought I had read something about BSG having a clip show, but I don’t know if that is still in the works or was axed....can’t remember where I read that or what it specifically said.

But this is getting annoying (for these past 2 eps in particular. I can see why they did it for Epiphanies.), but I’ll gut it out for the sake of the show.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
      I’m thinking this is sort of their way of cutting down on their budgetary expenses. At least that is my guess. Stargate has always done a clipshow every season as a way to have a cheap episode to keep the show under budget. I thought I had read something about BSG having a clip show, but I don’t know if that is still in the works or was axed....can’t remember where I read that or what it specifically said.

But this is getting annoying (for these past 2 eps in particular. I can see why they did it for Epiphanies.), but I’ll gut it out for the sake of the show.
      Hasn't every episode since 11 been like this?? It is getting annoying... It was unique just a month ago..

Comment

i agree that the continual use of flash backs, flash forwards and flash sideways are very annoying. is it done for budgetary reasons or is it a running joke with the writers that every new episode shall begin "48 hours earlier"??????
        if next week's episode begins with "48 hours earlier", that groan you hear from dallas, texas will be me.

Comment

I must agree with many of the previous posts. These last two episodes were really disappointing (I couldn't help feeling like the term "wheel spinning" was spot on). I am hoping that this is not a sign that Ron Moore and company are running out of creative steam.

Until now I never thought that the new casting was inferior to the old casting. However I will say that this show is really missing it's "Han Solo" type character. It just gets way too "heavy" at times and you need a character that will come in and break that up a bit, because now there is zero COMIC relief! Baltar comes close at times but his antics are more disturbing than funny (when the heck is someone going to ask him WHO is he talking too?).

Here is my top three things for the creators of the show to stop or slow down doing immediately;

1. KILL THE TIMESHIFT THING! Flashing forward backward or whatever gets old REAL quick!

2. Please be careful of the stunt casting... This is what has almost single handidly ruined "Nip/Tuck"... I mean come on Dana Delany??? If you are going to do it, the actors need to sign on for multiple episodes like Michelle Forbse's Admiral Cain (she sould totally win an Emmy).

3. STOP PLAYING WITH BRINGING PEOPLE BACK FORM THE BRINK OF DEATH!!! If this show does this one more time...

oh and one more thing...
          4. Please be careful how you handle the Sharon/Helo baby. I am soo worried about this one folks because if not handled well it could ruin the show. BSG could literally JTS right after the baby is born.

Comment

I'm wondering how else you can show what people are thinking without using Flash backs and they are not hard to follow if you're paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by tucker9477
              i agree that the continual use of flash backs, flash forwards and flash sideways are very annoying. is it done for budgetary reasons or is it a running joke with the writers that every new episode shall begin "48 hours earlier"??????
              if next week's episode begins with "48 hours earlier", that groan you hear from dallas, texas will be me.
              I totally agree. if next week's episode begins with "48 hours earlier", that groan you hear from St. Louis, Mo. will be me.

I don't mind flashbacks that gently remind us of storylines and how they affect the characters, but week after week is getting stale.
              -Hamy Seven

Col. O'Neill: "Jaffa jokes? Let's hear one of them."

Teal'c: "I shall attempt to translate one O'Neill. A serpent guard, a Horus guard, and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The Horus guard's beak glistens. The Setesh guard's...nose drips." [Teal'c bursts into laughter]

3x02 Seth

Comment

Re: the "48 hours" ago and flashbacks on BSG. I litterly groaned when I saw the same thing show up this week.

That started happening on Alias a lot in the later seasons and it really started bugging me. Maybe it IS a budget-saving device; hadn't thought of that. Can just use some of the same footage over and over.

Sometimes it's a very effective story-telling device but it can get annoying when it's used too much.
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Listening to the podcast for epiphanies, Ron Moore said that they did the flash back thing because they weren't happy with the episode. Flashback work well as a means of telling the characters back stories (which I would love to know) but I have to agree that enough is enough.

Comment

Its not at all a budget saving device. At least not in scar. You know how much CGI there was in scar. If anything that would be one of the more expensive episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
                      Its not at all a budget saving device. At least not in scar. You know how much CGI there was in scar. If anything that would be one of the more expensive episodes.
                      I’m talking about the flashback footage of Scar
                      Spoiler:
                      Anders from “The Farm”
                      being reused several times as a money saving device. That was filmed footage and all they had to do was insert it into the show. And then in Black Market
                      Spoiler:
                      you had Lee flashing back to almost the same shots of the girlfriend multiple times.
                      I think I got it the first several times that she was on his mind.

As far as the flashing back to 48 hours earlier, etc., I don’t mind that so much. I had no problem following the timeline in "Scar" when it jumped back and forth. I do think they’ve used up their allotment of episodes employing that storytelling technique though.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                        I’m talking about the flashback footage of Scar
                        Spoiler:
                        Anders from “The Farm”
                        being reused several times as a money saving device. That was filmed footage and all they had to do was insert it into the show. And then in Black Market
                        Spoiler:
                        you had Lee flashing back to almost the same shots of the girlfriend multiple times.
                        I think I got it the first several times that she was on his mind.

As far as the flashing back to 48 hours earlier, etc., I don’t mind that so much. I had no problem following the timeline in "Scar" when it jumped back and forth. I do think they’ve used up their allotment of episodes employing that storytelling technique though.
                        Oh yea the anders footage, they have used that quite alot over multiple episodes.

Comment

That seemed more like dramatic effect than anything. I think their foreshadowing something with him, like it's not the last we've seen of Anders.
                          Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Maybe Kara will steal Pegasus and jump home to rescue Anders!
                            Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Sarcastic
                              I must agree with many of the previous posts. These last two episodes were really disappointing (I couldn't help feeling like the term "wheel spinning" was spot on). I am hoping that this is not a sign that Ron Moore and company are running out of creative steam.

Until now I never thought that the new casting was inferior to the old casting. However I will say that this show is really missing it's "Han Solo" type character. It just gets way too "heavy" at times and you need a character that will come in and break that up a bit, because now there is zero COMIC relief! Baltar comes close at times but his antics are more disturbing than funny (when the heck is someone going to ask him WHO is he talking too?).

Here is my top three things for the creators of the show to stop or slow down doing immediately;

1. KILL THE TIMESHIFT THING! Flashing forward backward or whatever gets old REAL quick!

2. Please be careful of the stunt casting... This is what has almost single handidly ruined "Nip/Tuck"... I mean come on Dana Delany??? If you are going to do it, the actors need to sign on for multiple episodes like Michelle Forbse's Admiral Cain (she sould totally win an Emmy).

3. STOP PLAYING WITH BRINGING PEOPLE BACK FORM THE BRINK OF DEATH!!! If this show does this one more time...

oh and one more thing...
                              4. Please be careful how you handle the Sharon/Helo baby. I am soo worried about this one folks because if not handled well it could ruin the show. BSG could literally JTS right after the baby is born.
                              In one sense, every show is a flash back, given the "flash forward" teasers that we see right after the opening credits. I'm not complaining about those, they always pique my interest while I spend the next commercial break instantly speculating how they may play out.

Flashbacks appear to have been used a bit too often in the past couple of episodes, but so have the "dark night of the soul" storylines. Each of these episodes have shown some new insight into the motivations of the main characters, but, surely by now, we all know that each character is deeply flawed. This time it is Kara's turn through the emotional wringer. The moniker "scarred" seems to be more applicable to her pysche than to the title character in this episode.

There is the lingering guilt over Zack Adama.
                              The implied parental abuse hinted at on "The Farm".
                              The ongoing duel of feelings for and against Lee Adama, seen in KLG I, Home, and this episode.
                              The case of the AWOL ovary.
                              And, finally, the Anders thing from "Resistance" and "The Farm".

Kara is one warped soldier. She and Lee both share more than their quota of internal demons. I agree entirely that the show is missing an element of comic relief at this point. Unfortunately, there is no opportunity for a little R&R to a "pleasure planet" like Risa (thanks for the correction below) in the Star Trek universe. Instead, the fleet's only escape appears to be the tainted vices of the Black-market controlled gambling, drug and flesh trade.

Enough already with the dystopian themes. Surely the fleet couldn't have survived without mutal support and self-sacrifice, as depicted in the doco that was made in "The Final Cut". Maybe these episodes are meant to counter the "we'll all get through this by pulling together" theme that episode tried to stir up. I'm looking forward to a few more "grace notes" like the development of the stealth ship provided.

I don't know how you can ding the "stunt casting" without evaluating the episode itself. An actor shouldn't be disqualified because she was successful before Gallactica. Besides the best stunt casting so far has been Adama and President Roslyn, which are actually portrayed by the "prototype actors" in the mind of the writers before the final casting actually secured their roles.

Which leads to the point about bringing people back from the brink of death, Rosyln in this case. In another thread I speculated that being saved by the aid of a Cylon bio-agent may have other repercussions that could play out in interesting ways in the future. To see this would more than justify the last minute save, IMHO. Besides,there needs to be something joyful every once in a while to leaven the gloom and doom that follows the fleet.

I don't think there are many ways to mishandle Sharon/Helo's baby. Any number of things can happen that could lead to explosive results. They'd really have to drop the ball to not mine that story element.
                              Last edited by anotherquestion; 06 February 2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X