Star Trek: The Original Series Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: The Original Series Discussion and Appreciation Thread

I don't know if there are many people out there with a fondness for the original series, but if there are, here's the place to talk about it. Without the original series, none of these other shows would be around. The dynamics of the character interaction have never been matched in the subsequent shows and it really was new and exciting for its time. Sure, it has cheesy special effects and the bad episodes were truly BAD, but it also had episodes that could not be bettered in terms of sheer emotional power, interesting plots, and creative aliens (for its time of course). Anyway, any one else love this show?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Yep, I'll watch any Trek. I still like TOS, even if some people call it cheesy by todays standards. It's been a long time since I last watched an original series episode. There used to be regular repeats on BBC2. Memorable episodes for me were Mirror Mirror, Space Seed, and the Menagerie I and II.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Havent seen any TOS in quite a while but Hallowed are the beginnings
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
        Yep, I'll watch any Trek. I still like TOS, even if some people call it cheesy by todays standards. It's been a long time since I last watched an original series episode. There used to be regular repeats on BBC2. Memorable episodes for me were Mirror Mirror, Space Seed, and the Menagerie I and II.
        I LOVED Mirror Mirror. Space Seed, not so much. It has a special place in my heart, though, because it spawned (no pun intended) the best Star Trek movie, ever--Wrath of Khan. I know Menagerie is generally considered one of the best, but I didn't really care for it. I also liked The Trouble with Tribbles and Journey to Babel. Oh yes--Amok Time; any Spock fan worth her salt has to love Amok Time.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
          Havent seen any TOS in quite a while but Hallowed are the beginnings
          LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
            Does BBC2 still own the rights? Cos someone in Britain should show them and BBC2's rubbish since the Simpsons left. I'd really love to go "back to the future" again! In fact, all the Treks should be in syndication over here. TOS and DS9 are the only ones not currently being shown. (voyager twice )

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
              Does BBC2 still own the rights? Cos someone in Britain should show them and BBC2's rubbish since the Simpsons left. I'd really love to go "back to the future" again! In fact, all the Treks should be in syndication over here. TOS and DS9 are the only ones not currently being shown. (voyager twice )
              I'm not sure, there hasn't been a Trek show on BBC 2 for a few years now. Channel 5 has the rights to show Voyager at the minute. Sky One is the only channel that regularly shows TNG, and DS9... (maybe DS9 to a lesser extent). But I wish the BBC would show TOS and TNG again.

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                I LOVED Mirror Mirror. Space Seed, not so much. It has a special place in my heart, though, because it spawned (no pun intended) the best Star Trek movie, ever--Wrath of Khan. I know Menagerie is generally considered one of the best, but I didn't really care for it. I also liked The Trouble with Tribbles and Journey to Babel. Oh yes--Amok Time; any Spock fan worth her salt has to love Amok Time.
                Ah of course, this is when we first see a Vulcan going through the 'Pon Farr'. Spock (and Sarek) are the templates for all future Vulcans. And how could I have missed out on the Tribbles . Can't remember much about Journey to Babel. I need to get up to speed with TOS episodes.

Comment

There was much to love about TOS. Kirk's figure-hugging trousers and girl on every planet, Spock's ears and eyebrows, absolutely everything about Bones McCoy, Scotty's wandering "Scottish" accent, "she can't take much more of this, Cap'n!", Majel in her kinky nurse outfit, plastic rocks, wobbly scenery, dodgy aliens, cracker-barrel philosophy. I could go on... Truly groundbreaking, it set the stage for everything that was to follow.
                  sigpic
                  "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I was thinking that Star Trek really did go where no man had gone before. The Devil in the Dark is a case in point. You have a really strange alien critter (the Horta) causing mayhem and destruction on a mining colony. Typical monstor scenario, right? Not so fast--after a mind-meld with Mr. Spock, we find that the critter is a mother protecting her young. I was so impressed with how that scene played out. With a monster that looked like a pizza draped over a rock, still the pathos of a grieving mother came through. I didn't fully appreciate the episode when it first came out, but when I see it now it always brings a tear to my eye.

Before Star Trek, I don't think there would have been any such plot. The monster was too different, too alien, but Star Trek made it work--and work with a vengance (no pun intended). It became the sort of thing they were known for.

Comment

The one, the only, Original Series. What a show. This one is by far the most fun of the lot, and also has the best character relationships out of the lot (Kirk, Spock, McCoy and even Scotty). The motion Picture was the first Trek i had ever seen, then TNG, then TOS. And boy, I became a TRUE ST fan after i saw TOS.

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
                      Lister: 'Why not?'
                      Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
                      Cat: 'Can we see him?'
                      Rimmer: 'See who?'
                      Cat: 'The king.'
                      Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
                      Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
                      Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

I was wondering: why do you suppose Captain Kirk is so disliked these days? Is it just because times change and now the things that he brought to the table are not valued (indeed they are reviled)? If that's the case, what happened to understanding of cultures that our different than our own (and make no mistake, the culture then was very different than it is now)? It seems like everyone from Osama bin Laden to convicted murderers to schoolyard bullies are afforded the opportunity to be understood in their own culture and environment or upbringing (not trying to be political--just trying to pick extreme examples). But not Captain Kirk. No, he gets no understanding. He is judged by our contemporary values and found wanting.

Well, I object! I think he was the perfect captain for his time (I know, he's supposed to be a reflection of our culture at the time--believe me I lived through it) and part of the enduring power of Star Trek is it's ability to capture the times and put its finger on the issues that vex our society, both then and now. So I say, "Bravo, Captain Kirk," the federation wouldn't have survived without you.

Comment

I love TOS.....City on the Edge of Forever, Trouble With Tribbles, Space Seed, Amok Time, Arena, Devil in the Dark (I loved the Horta), Spock's Brain (Kidding!)

It's so wonderfully predictable yet surprising.....red shirts will die, Spock and McCoy will exchange barbs, Chekov will think that whatever it is was invented in Russia, Kirk will meet a pretty girl, snog her, and tell her how beautiful she is all within a matter of minutes, Scotty will announce it's impossible and then do it..... *sigh* good times.

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                            I was wondering: why do you suppose Captain Kirk is so disliked these days? Is it just because times change and now the things that he brought to the table are not valued (indeed they are reviled)? If that's the case, what happened to understanding of cultures that our different than our own (and make no mistake, the culture then was very different than it is now)? It seems like everyone from Osama bin Laden to convicted murderers to schoolyard bullies are afforded the opportunity to be understood in their own culture and environment or upbringing (not trying to be political--just trying to pick extreme examples). But not Captain Kirk. No, he gets no understanding. He is judged by our contemporary values and found wanting.

Well, I object! I think he was the perfect captain for his time (I know, he's supposed to be a reflection of our culture at the time--believe me I lived through it) and part of the enduring power of Star Trek is it's ability to capture the times and put its finger on the issues that vex our society, both then and now. So I say, "Bravo, Captain Kirk," the federation wouldn't have survived without you.
                            Political correctness is the problem. Which i think has caused more problems that it's solved. Capt. Kirk ROCKS

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
                            Lister: 'Why not?'
                            Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
                            Cat: 'Can we see him?'
                            Rimmer: 'See who?'
                            Cat: 'The king.'
                            Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
                            Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
                            Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

^

I agree, it's about time we stood up for Kirk. I refuse to accept the good name of Kirk being used as a label. I mean, it's not Kirk's fault that a certain male lead character likes to get it on with the 'babe-of-the-week'.

Comment

Working...
                              X